PDA

View Full Version : overtime after 80 hours

07-25-2006, 01:49 AM
I was wondering why we work 42.5 and don't get paid overtime, so I did some light reading and found the following...

Fact Sheet #17J: First Responders and the Part 541 Exemptions Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

The FLSA requires that most employees in the United States be paid at least the federal minimum wage for all hours worked and overtime pay at time and one-half the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek. However, Section 13(a)(1) of the FLSA provides an exemption from both minimum wage and overtime pay for employees employed as bona fide executive, administrative, professional and outside sales employees. Section 13(a)(1) and Section 13(a)(17) also exempts certain computer employees. To qualify for exemption, employees must meet certain tests regarding their job duties and be paid on a salary basis at not less than $455 per week.

Police Officers, Fire Fighters and Other First Responders

Police officers, detectives, deputy sheriffs, state troopers, highway patrol officers, investigators, inspectors, correctional officers, parole or probation officers, park rangers, fire fighters, paramedics, emergency medical technicians, ambulance personnel, rescue workers, hazardous materials workers and similar employees (“first responders”) who perform work such as preventing, controlling or extinguishing fires of any type; rescuing fire, crime or accident victims; preventing or detecting crimes; conducting investigations or inspections for violations of law; performing surveillance; pursuing, restraining and apprehending suspects; detaining or supervising suspected and convicted criminals, including those on probation or parole; interviewing witnesses; interrogating and fingerprinting suspects; preparing investigative reports; and other similar work are not exempt under Section 13(a)(1) or the regulations and thus are protected by the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the FLSA.

First responders generally do not qualify as exempt executives because their primary duty is not management. They are not exempt administrative employees because their primary duty is not the performance of office or non-manual work directly related to the management or general business operations of the employer or the employer’s customers. Similarly, they are not exempt learned professionals because their primary duty is not the performance of work requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field or learning customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction. Although some first responders have college degrees, a specialized academic degree is not a standard prerequisite for employment.

So does this mean we should be collecting overtime and if not does anyone know the reason why?

07-25-2006, 01:55 AM
There is more information at......

www.dol.gov/esa (http://www.dol.gov/esa)

That is where the above information came from

07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
You are right in theory and according to the letter of the law, but there is a loophole there. Since patrol works 24 hours on one week and 60 hours on another week, I could picture the agency revising the patrol schedule to 2 40 hour weeks and then reducing everyone's salaries by the equivellant of 5 hours a pay period. They would save a ton of money and our pay would decrease. Then they could pay administrators more and/or hire more rooks to show the people how well they do more with less. Then everyone would believe that since the staff is happy, that would obviously mean you and I are happy even though we would be getting paid less than say the last 5 years. Then a mass exodous would occur and only a handful of people who have no spines would be left to do the work, because there is no doubt we do have some here that would stay even if they came in to work and discovered the next pay period they would take a 25% pay cut.

I don't think you want that can of worms opened up here.

07-25-2006, 01:37 PM
just to let you know other agencies in the area that work the 42 hour work week DO get paid the time in a half for the extra 4 hours..

07-25-2006, 09:28 PM
dont rock the boat. i am not going to be happy when they quit paying us for lunch like they do the civilians. they have an easy solution to this one and i can see them saving a lot of money not paying everyone 5 hours a check. they were going to serve meals for free at the 5 star then some morons were hastling the brass for refunds on unused tickets. we all know how that turned out.
LET IT GO

08-17-2006, 08:49 AM
There is a ton of things happening that are probally less than legit or legal.

However, as the above poster stated. People have no spine(don't blame them, they would be blacked balled for life) or the cash means to hire a well payed attorney to further investigate deeper into the true problems within PCSO.