PDA

View Full Version : Pension Payouts to Ofc's who Have Left

07-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Can anyone advise if they have any information about when/if the City intends to pay the Pension contributions owed to officers who have left SPPD prior to vesting? The lawsuit was settled, but no one seems to know when the payouts will occur. I have been gone for 5 years and am still waiting for my 12k!!!

BTW...we have a POSSE at MCSO!!! And we aren't afraid to use it!!!

Be safe...and keep the faith...

'blood

07-24-2006, 08:52 AM
The city is not going to pay. As far as a lawsuit, it was dropped.

07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I heard a few of the former officers (probably deputies now) are trying to pursue that issue. Ask around i'm sure someone knows who to contact.

07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
test

07-24-2006, 07:46 PM
so what about the money offered for the PIN program....If I leave and they try to collect the balance of my loan, I'll request my pension. I owe them, and they owe me. I wonder how that will go.

07-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Unfortunately, that won't work. I tried that when they sent me a bill for training reimbursement. Despite the fact that I owed them less than half of what they owed me, they refused to deal and proceeded with legal action. My lawyer told me my only safe option was to pay them and avoid being sued, then sue them to get my pension money.

That being said, I have NO regrets about leaving. I earn more money working for a better department that treats me properly, and the raise I got my first year covered the check I wrote the people's republic of St. Pete. And I will get my pension money sooner or later, there is state statutes that back me up. Of course, it will take time because we all know that the SPPD does not follow the law until they are forced to do so.

Any way, to make a long story short, I don't know how much you'll owe the city, but if you cann afford to, GO! It's worth it! Good luck.

07-25-2006, 03:53 AM
When it comes to what YOU owe, couldn't you pay them some small amount each payday or month or something until it's paid off? Isn't that how it works that as long as you pay SOMETHING your ok?

And to all the naysayer's out there who always push the pro-SPPD admin slogan of, "so and so tried that and the lawsuit was dropped" or " that didn't work, etc etc etc" I say bunk! Sue, sue and sue some more b/c STEALING is what they're doing when they STEAL YOUR retirement money and you have the right to try and get it back.

But either way the guy that says if nothing else pay it and move on is right. It's better than staying at a police department where not only do the citizens not like us (in police work that can be expected) but not even our own supervisors, command staff or city administration like us.

07-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the info...by the way...the lawsuit was not "dropped", it was "settled". May be semantics, but as someone mentioned, the City does HAVE to pay, just never told when. And you are right, they will hold on to it as long as possible until forced to give it up.

I left in 2002 and have no regrets. I enjoyed my time there and did my job and did it well. It was not the most pleasant place at times, but for the most part, a good group of people to work with. I left for family reasons, not the job.

Take it from me, the grass is not always greener. I found out the hard way and finally got to an agency (Martin County) that supports it's players and encourages them to go out and do their job the way it was meant to be done. Like I said in the original post, we have a posse (horses and all!!)!! And a chaplain that has a gun and badge!!!

I am proud to say I worked at SPPD and hope those of you who are still there can bring about the changes needed, or at least find happiness somehow. And as always....be safe.

'blood

07-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Not everyone that leaves is looking for the grass to be greener but we are just looking for different grass.

07-25-2006, 05:19 AM
"Not everyone that leaves is looking for the grass to be greener but we are just looking for different grass."

For those of you who do stay, keep your first-aid kits stocked. We're losing Medics and few are showing up at the front door.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/FDBro/VAS1.jpg

We're currently operating in the YELLOW region. Orange can't be far behind!

St. Petersburg Florida
"From Mangroves to Mothballs!"

FD Bro'

07-25-2006, 04:39 PM
i hear something is going to happen with the city keeping all that private money. you guys can say whatever you want, but it is not the city's money its the ofc money. i know the "lifers" at sppd will say its too bad if you leave, but it is still not the city's cash. i hope the city has to give the $ back.

07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
i worked for four years and left for family reasons. this is first time i heard about lawsuit. any info if we can retrieve r money payed into pension

07-27-2006, 04:49 AM
The lawsuit was settled between the PBA (class action) and the City in 2002. The end result was that the City had to pay the officers THEIR contribution with the caveat of "when funds are available". They were available at the time, however, the PBA negotiated to have that money used to improve the current pension members plan as opposed to paying out those of us who had left. Didn't agree with it, but had no say. Now the waiting game is on to see "when funds are available" will occur.

Be safe....

'blood

Zero
07-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I have looked into the entire pensioon issue and tried to follow up on the PBA "settlement" with the city as someone has put it. Here is the real information. There never was a lawsuit. The PBA never filed anything and nothing ever went to court. Whatever this gentlemans agreement is between the PBA and the City is nothing more than a snow job. Call the city and ask them. This is what they will tell you, "You arent entitled to that money back and you will never see a dime of it!" trust me I know. I've been there done that and got the letter to prove it.

If anyone has contacted an attorney outside the PBA I would be interestd in knowing what the real situation is.