PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Sheriff Election

07-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Balkwill isn't running again, so candidates for sheriff are going to come out of the woodwork. Here's the line-up so far: Al Hogle, LBKPD chief & retired SPD staff officer, low key.
[/*:m:851fkyfq]
David Gustafson, New College entry-level patrolman still on probationary status.
Larry Dunklee, SSO staff officer, allegations of wife beating and issues with "touching himself" in the presence of women (confirmed by Internal Affairs), helped to get Balkwill elected and wants Balkwill's endorsement in return.
Stan Duncan, SPD staff officer, is related to Balkwill and wants his endorsement, low key.
Curt Laverello, former SRO, arrested for DUI while driving a police car but case was dismissed on a technicality (but blew .14 on the intoxilyzer), currently works with drug addicts and alcoholics.[/*:m:851fkyfq]
Who else is going to run and what is your opinion about the line-up?

Let the games begin!!! :shock: :roll:

07-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Kevin Gooding is going to run ...watch....but so far out of the ones you mentioned, Id vote for Curt Lavarello before any of the others OR possibly Dave Gustafson. No way in hell would i vote for ANYONE related to Balkwill, Al Hogle is intelligent but an arse and Dunk probably wouldnt do bad at all but has skeletons that will hurt him. I want someone that is so far outside this area that things will hopefully return to being fair!

07-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Why would Curt Laverello run for sheriff? BB got him a job running a county organization with a salary I heard was over $90,000??? Plus he runs a law enforcement training company and makes $$$, so it would be a cut for him. He's nice guy, but I don't see him doing it.

07-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Why would Curt Laverello run for sheriff? BB got him a job running a county organization with a salary I heard was over $90,000??? Plus he runs a law enforcement training company and makes $$$, so it would be a cut for him. He's nice guy, but I don't see him doing it.It sounds like NASARO (http://leoaffairs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15140#15140) revisited!!! :oops:

07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
BB got CL a job (NOT TRUE) running a county organization (NOT TRUE) and a salary over $90,000 (NOT TRUE)! Check your facts before you post lies and rumors. The IRS 990s for the not-for-profit he runs are public record, as is the annual report the non-governmental organization files each year.

The new safety advocacy council he co-founded has not earned him any money yet, and their day-to-day business is run by someone else, as CL has a full time job in Sarasota.

As for asking why he'd take a pay cut - whether it's a cut or a raise for him, that's not the motive behind his possible choice of running in '08. If you want to know what he stands for and his goals, just ask him, and he'll give you an honest answer.

As for your "NASARO" link - what does that have to do with CL? He's a Florida native and has never lived in Kansas. However, your use of "NASARO" is interesting, because you're the only person who seems to be familiar with that group that doesn't know it has always been "NASRO". In fact, you sent E-mails last year to people, including CL, where you and only you used "NASARO" in reference to "NASRO", so it's easy to know that it's you posting on this site again. Get over it.

07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Your use of "NASARO" is interesting, because you're the only person who seems to be familiar with that group that doesn't know it has always been "NASRO". In fact, you sent E-mails last year to people, including CL, where you and only you used "NASARO" in reference to "NASRO", so it's easy to know that it's you posting on this site again. Get over it.What kind of emails were sent to CL last year? :shock:

07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
you are forgetting loe key figures,as in...............

07-21-2006, 10:50 PM
you are forgetting loe key figures,as in...............Yes, I'm positive that there are lots of other low key figures that will jump into the race between January and April of 2008. If Balkwill doesn't run again, then candidates are going to come out of the woodwork, without a doubt!!!

Simpson for sheriff!!!! (just kidding) :lol:

07-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Geez, Arrest histories, Doestics, Friends of staff members and alcholics oh and dont forget the "has beens" who keep on running. Please tell me this story will have a better ending than what you proposed.

07-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Hello Tim Enos.

07-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Your use of "NASARO" is interesting, because you're the only person who seems to be familiar with that group that doesn't know it has always been "NASRO". In fact, you sent E-mails last year to people, including CL, where you and only you used "NASARO" in reference to "NASRO", so it's easy to know that it's you posting on this site again. Get over it.What kind of emails were sent to CL last year? :shock:I guess that a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff goes on in politics. Remember the sheriffs candidate in Georgia who murdered the other sheriffs candidate??? Yep, people take this election stuff dead serious. :cry:

07-22-2006, 12:04 PM
I really think Hogle is the guy with executive level police knowlede--he believes in good professional work, good pay and equipment. Treats everybody fairly and is not rash.

07-22-2006, 01:44 PM
I agree about Hogle, but my sleeper candidate is SPD Capt. Duncan. Finalist for the SPD job, well respected, young, very smart, well known in the community, looks good on TV, well spoken, FBI Academy, former State of Florida Police Officer of the Year.
Not saying he's the best or the most popular, but perceptiojn by the public is everything and can carry him to a win if he decides he wants to run. Would have the backing of every top dog in the city & at SPD if that means anything.

07-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I remember when Duncan either was going to or did run against Monge. I have known Duncan for about 20 years and have to be real honest with you, I would not vote for him. I cannot give you a specific but I have that "in the presence of deciept" feeling when I am around him.

07-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Let the politics begin!!! :devil:

We're here to spread the misery equally!!! :snicker:

Politics!!! :evil:

07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I agree Hogle will be great.

Hogle is going to get the support of all the area Police Chiefs-a election picture of that would be a powerful image. I do like Duncan but Hogle has the political know how to get us what we need.

07-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I really think Hogle is the guy with executive level police knowlede--he believes in good professional work, good pay and equipment. Treats everybody fairly and is not rash.

Sorry we dont need a it ran like a business. Its a government agency and we need someone with some backbone to get us back to Police work. Longboat KEy Police Chief. He might be a nice guy but I dont think I want him as Sheriff.

Isnt this the same guy that took all the Sergeants out their and made them Captains because it looks better to the public. Oh and we cant forget take the State Seal out of the badge on their police car and had EMT put in their. Oh and its a town out their not a city because he wanted the small town environment.

Sorry Ill pass on him,,,NEXTT please.

07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, we do need it to be run like a professional business. Not political or personal.

07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Isnt Al Hogle the same guy that took all the Sergeants out their and made them Captains because it looks better to the public. Was Hogle the one who got rid of the rank of sergeant and made all the sergeants captains??? :shock: THAT was a bonehead move!!! :roll:

07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Everyone knows that if Larry Dunklee runs for office, then a lot of different candidates are going to come out of the woodwork to run for office against him (Gooding, Gustafson, Hogle, Laverello, Stan from SPD, Gonzalez, etc...).

Larry Dunklee's chances of winning against all those candidates are slim to none because he won't be an incumbant, so it will be fair game --- and it will get muddy. Plus, the sustained IA reports against Dunklee (for sexual harassment) will be thrown in his face and the public will be made aware of it. Women will be marching in the streets against him and it will be smeared all over the news -- it could be nationwide!!!

Soooooo.....

Sheriff Bill Balkwill has decided to run again. Yeaa yeaa yeaa, he kept waffling about running, but he's changed his mind (again) and now says he's going to run. Yep, he could change his mind (again) if it gets too muddy. Who knows!!!!

Anyways...

The theory is that since he's an incumbant with deep roots in the community, he can win the next election -- and that way, Larry Dunklee and the rest of the command staff can continue keeping their high paid jobs. ;)

Stay tuned. :evil:

07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Everyone knows that if Larry Dunklee runs for office, then a lot of different candidates are going to come out of the woodwork to run for office against him (Gooding, Gustafson, Hogle, Laverello, Stan from SPD, Gonzalez, etc...).

Larry Dunklee's chances of winning against all those candidates are slim to none because he won't be an incumbant, so it will be fair game --- and it will get muddy. Plus, the sustained IA reports against Dunklee (for sexual harassment) will be thrown in his face and the public will be made aware of it. Women will be marching in the streets against him and it will be smeared all over the news -- it could be nationwide!!!

Soooooo.....

Sheriff Bill Balkwill has decided to run again. Yeaa yeaa yeaa, he kept waffling about running, but he's changed his mind (again) and now says he's going to run. Yep, he could change his mind (again) if it gets too muddy. Who knows!!!!

Anyways...

The theory is that since he's an incumbant with deep roots in the community, he can win the next election -- and that way, Larry Dunklee and the rest of the command staff can continue keeping their high paid jobs. ;)

Stay tuned. :evil:Larry Dunklee has said in the presence of several staff members that he is going to run for sheriff. If he does, then he is going to get politically slaughtered. It's going to be brutal. He'll be the fatted calf set up on the sacrifical alter of mud slinging. Mannnnnnn I can't wait to see the look on his face. :lol:

07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
FACT - BB is NOT running for Sheriff. Period. Whoever tells you he is is making it all up.

07-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Politics 101 says to never create a political enemy because then he will do everything in his power to crush you. He will not stop until you are politically buried. Some of the idiots upstairs haven't figured that out yet and they've created a lot of enemies who are now hellbent on politically destroying them.

Just imagine...

Using public records under the Florida Sunshine law, just imagine a website where all of those sexual harassment IA investigations against Larry Dunklee are posted for all the world to read and hear.

The point: Don't do something that you don't want printed in the newspaper for all to see. They told us that at the academy. Larry, you should have thought about that before you harassed those women. I know that those IA records have "disappeared" from your official IA file, because even the FBI didn't find them when they did a background investigation on you to see if you were fit to go to the FBI national academy, but they are still floating around our agency and have been seen by lots of us. So even though the FBI didn't have access to them because they've illegally "disappeared" from your file, they haven't totally disappeared. Be prepared to face your past. ;)

About 5 or 6 months before the election, a website will be hosted for all of you to see scanned copies of all the reports. You will be able to click on a link to hear Larry Dunklee's "defense" against multiple women who filed complaints against him. Then it will be up to you to decide. The ball will be in your court.

Larry, you're sunk and the cats out of the bag, espically after a website about you is created with official SSO documents and audiotapes for the public to examine. :shock:

Remember, once you create a political enemy, then he will never stop until you are politically buried. You never knew that -- and if you still don't know it -- you will. Be prepared to face your past and, even better, be prepared to have it exposed on a public website so the citizens can make up their own minds!!! ;)

Once the public sees the reports on the website and hears your voice....

Just imagine... :evil:

07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I was under the impression that the ONLY way stuff could be removed from the IA file, no matter what was through either the SHERIFF or a JUDGE?

07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
I was under the impression that the ONLY way stuff could be removed from the IA file, no matter what was through either the SHERIFF or a JUDGE?I've heard rumors that the IA investigations were removed from Larry Dunklee's files -- and that's why the FBI background investigator never got to see them. It would be interesting to compare the existing IA investigations that are floating around the department with what is actually in Larry Dunklee's file. Doh!!!! :snicker:

In only 17 more months, we will have a new sheriff in town. :shock:

07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I was under the impression that the ONLY way stuff could be removed from the IA file, no matter what was through either the SHERIFF or a JUDGE?

Public Education Laws govern what may be removed from a personnel file for public employees. Check it out!

07-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Public Education Laws govern what may be removed from a personnel file for public employees. Check it out!Please give us a direct link. :)

07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I was under the impression that the ONLY way stuff could be removed from the IA file, no matter what was through either the SHERIFF or a JUDGE?Ahhhhhhhh is this an example of moral turpitude???!!!! Did Sheriff Bill Balkwill remove multiple sexual harassment complaints from Larry Dunklee's IA file to "hide" them from the FBI background investigator because it would have prevented Dunklee from being able to attend the FBI academy???? :roll:

Geeee maybe we're not as stupid as people think. :evil:

07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
About 5 or 6 months before the election, a website will be hosted for all of you to see scanned copies of all the reports. You will be able to click on a link to hear Larry Dunklee's "defense" against multiple women who filed complaints against him. Then it will be up to you to decide. The ball will be in your court.

Larry, you're sunk and the cats out of the bag, espically after a website about you is created with scanned official SSO documents and audiotapes for the public to examine. :shock:

Remember, once you create a political enemy, then he will never stop until you are politically buried. You never knew that -- and if you still don't know it -- you will. Be prepared to face your past and, even better, be prepared to have it exposed on a public website so the citizens can make up their own minds!!! ;)

Once the public sees the reports on the website and hears your voice....

Just imagine... :evil:Is that legal???
In only 17 more months, we will have a new sheriff in town. :shock:Yikes, it's only 17 months away!!! I didn't realize that it was so close!!! :shock:

07-28-2006, 01:09 AM
I remember when Duncan either was going to or did run against Monge. I have known Duncan for about 20 years and have to be real honest with you, I would not vote for him. I cannot give you a specific but I have that "in the presence of deciept" feeling when I am around him.

You have known him for 20 years but you have nothing "specific"? Sometimes when people talk about others they reveal more about themselves than the intended subject.

07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
I really have nothing bad too say bad about the guy. Yall get caught up in past crap but hey hes never done me wrong so if he makes it which he probably will. I could care less. Like Balkwill has anything to do with us now so whats the diffrence??

Sheriffs come and go, its politics, man I bet get ulcers at night thinking about this job. Go home and forget about it til the next day.

07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Not that my opinion really makes a difference cause I have not known Capt Duncan as long as you, but I do work for him. He is a fair guy to work for and that’s all I care about. Capt Duncan is an administrator but he didn’t forget where he came from (patrol). Anyways, I wish all you guys across the street the best, you deserve it… Well most of you…

07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I wish all you guys across the street the best, you deserve it… Well most of you…Most of us??? :lol:

08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
although stan is a nice guy, he'd never stand a chance of being elected sheriff in this county. although he'd do better then larry dunklee, the both of them have way to many skeletons in their closets. he'd actually be a much better sheriff then dunklee, but stan is disliked by many and has burned so many bridges.

next candidate??

08-01-2006, 09:57 PM
although stan is a nice guy, he'd never stand a chance of being elected sheriff in this county. although he'd do better then larry dunklee, the both of them have way to many skeletons in their closets. he'd actually be a much better sheriff then dunklee, but stan is disliked by many and has burned so many bridges.

next candidate??

920...once again, no specifics, classic vague cheap shot. Can you name just one "skelton?" And when did you get disciplined?

08-02-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm looking from the outside in (I don't work for SPD), so my relationship with Stan is from a different angle. I've never worked for him, but have worked with him (I'm from the SSO).

Stan always has a smile on his face and he's always been very friendly to me. I've never seen him "blow up" or lose his temper. He seems like an all around great guy. :)

08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm looking from the outside in (I don't work for SPD), so my relationship with Stan is from a different angle. I've never worked for him, but have worked with him (I'm from the SSO).

Stan always has a smile on his face and he's always been very friendly to me. I've never seen him "blow up" or lose his temper. He seems like an all around great guy. :)

Yeah thats great! but do you want really "nice guy" leading the team???? He's a nice guy, no question I think everyone has said that. The question is... Is he a leader? A good "blow up" is called for from time to time. :?

08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Curt L for Sheriff,,,,,
Are you people friggin crazy!!!
He is cut from the same cloth as Balkwill,,,,,,they are Nasro drinking buddys from years ago,,,and have the same mind set,,,,,he can spewn forth all the lies about giving Deputys big pay raises even the old timers who are getting the shaft, but don't believe it,,,he is a liar just like his buddy Balkwill!!!!
If you vote for him it will be just more of the same crap!! and the Sheriffs Dept will continue to be an immoral =joke of a Dept.

08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
In only 16 more months, we will have a new sheriff. :shock:

08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
CL may be a Balkwill clone, but he has a great shot of winning.

08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree, I never worked with CL, yet he is very well connected and already sounds political when speaking. He can proberbly finance the campaign out of his own pocket, and its proberbly a smart move to run as a Dem with DG and LD getting messy on the Rep side of the election. Aside from the DUI, which its my understanding was dropped, he should not be overlooked.

08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I agree, I never worked with CL, yet he is very well connected and already sounds political when speaking. He can proberbly finance the campaign out of his own pocket, and its proberbly a smart move to run as a Dem with DG and LD getting messy on the Rep side of the election. Aside from the DUI, which its my understanding was dropped, he should not be overlooked.

I know alot about Curt and he is with out a doubt not from the same mold as Balkwill. If he says he will do something then you can go to the bank on it. I like the way he thinks and I know he will do a great job for this county. The only way you will find out is when he is voted in. Then after that you will never want another person as Sheriff. You will see big changes and more pay and better conditions and a safer county to work in. You will see more marked units on the road and you'll even see a much better relationship between the SSO and the union and the SSO and the press amd SSO and the community. We have been *****en about the people around here for long enough lets try something new. You just might like it or are you all just thrieving to be complainers. You guys who put Carolyn on a pedestal for her lack of respect she showed Balkwill are just as stupid as she is. Remember you show the respect for the position not necessarily the person or have you people forgotten what we as Deputies stand for. We ***** and cry how we are not respected by the public but then we do worse and we don't respect ourselves. Believe me if CL get in as Sheriff that will change and you may all just get to like it, it's called being professional which all seem to forget these days. The problem I see here is you people are part right about knocking the administration because if they knew what they were doing up there they would have charged her with conduct unbecoming for failure to give proper respect to a superior officer ,something that we all seem to do these days. How about we get more professional!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I know alot about Curt and he is with out a doubt not from the same mold as Balkwill. If he says he will do something then you can go to the bank on it. I like the way he thinks and I know he will do a great job for this county. The only way you will find out is when he is voted in. Then after that you will never want another person as Sheriff. You will see big changes and more pay and better conditions and a safer county to work in. You will see more marked units on the road and you'll even see a much better relationship between the SSO and the union and the SSO and the press amd SSO and the community. We have been *****en about the people around here for long enough lets try something new. You just might like it or are you all just thrieving to be complainers. You guys who put Carolyn on a pedestal for her lack of respect she showed Balkwill are just as stupid as she is. Remember you show the respect for the position not necessarily the person or have you people forgotten what we as Deputies stand for. We ***** and cry how we are not respected by the public but then we do worse and we don't respect ourselves. Believe me if CL get in as Sheriff that will change and you may all just get to like it, it's called being professional which all seem to forget these days. The problem I see here is you people are part right about knocking the administration because if they knew what they were doing up there they would have charged her with conduct unbecoming for failure to give proper respect to a superior officer ,something that we all seem to do these days. How about we get more professional!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:I've got nothing against Curt Laverello. He's a nice guy, but he reminds me too much of that guy who ran (and lost) last election. His name was "Simpson" (forgot his first name) and he only got 3% of the vote. It's not gonna happen.

Simpson's guys came on this board and made post after post about how great Simpson is, but he still only got 3% of the vote. Sorry, but posting at this board isn't gonna make it happen.

08-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Its actually 28 months until we get a new sheriff...election is in '08

08-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Curt L is already campaigning for Sheriff,,,,he paid for numerous SRO's to go to a "Conference" in Las Vegas!!

Im sure there were no "Strip Clubs, Drinking or Gambling" going on.

Yea this is the start of something real good?!?!?!?!?

08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
You must have plenty of free time on your hands to dream up this stuff.

Curt L didn't pay for ANYONE to attend the National School & Community Safety Summit in Las Vegas. Some Sarasota SROs attended, but you might want to check with the Sarasota School District on who paid for their registration and travel.

The LEOs and Administrators who went heard John Giduck speak about the terrors at Beslan when he was there during the school massacre; national expert on school safety Ken Trump held a session; retired LEO and international speaker Michael Nila had a session on the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People"; the summit had the Nevada Lt. Governor as opening speaker, and the highlight was a one day live school crisis drill and followup training, the largest ever held in the US. It involved the Clark County School District and their PD, Metro Las Vegas PD SWAT, Clark County Fire Rescue and other first responder units. The drill measured not only the on campus response, but also the community response (surrounding residential area was evacuated), dispatch, 911 call center, air support, media response, etc. The closing summit speaker was comedian George Wallace, so you might consider that "entertainment".

This was not a summit for SROs alone, in fact there were more Police Chiefs, school administrators, and Justice Department employees from across the US in attendance than SROs. During the summit the SSAC didn't have anything scheduled after 5 pm. Anything attendees did in the evening was on their own time and dime.

08-03-2006, 11:13 PM

Are U kiddin? A guy arrested for DUI is a contender for sheriff?
We are setting our sights pretty low. Not to mention the alcohol issue..but how about just plain stupid?

08-03-2006, 11:26 PM

We are setting our sights pretty low. Not to mention the alcohol issue..but how about just plain stupid?Simpson for sheriff!!!! :mrgreen:

08-04-2006, 04:57 AM
I doubt Laverello would win as Democrats wont do it in this county, however his DUI was dismissed, so to keep bringing that up is pointless. Maybe he had been drinking, maybe not, but it was tossed and had the SA had a case, you can bet they would not have tossed his case.

We have such a poor slate of candidates, its going to be touch no matter what.

08-05-2006, 05:05 AM
I agree, CL did not pay for SROs to attend. Answer this one. Is or is he not Executive Director of the company that was responsible for the seminar. So did his company make money form taxpayers of Sarasota County via School Board dollars?? If so how much did CL make? Anyone from the SSO earn money from this company as an instructor in the past? No conflict there. Hey I am gunna start a company with some friends to train cops, etc and I want to get SSO Deps to attend. So what if I make money off the SSO. That an insider type of deal? Excluding fair competition, etc ? Na, I see no conflict there.
While your thinking that over, let me familarize you with www.schoolsafety911.com (http://www.schoolsafety911.com). Go to that site and give it a look. See for yourselves . See who is involved in this gig. Don't get me wrong I am all for making some cash on the side.
Some of you can sit around and say who will do this or that if they are elected. Heard that all before. Don't forget they will say whatever it takes to get where they want to be. You are going to tell me I should consider a guy who cried foul about SSO deputies to the press after his arrest as the person who should run the SSO. No Thanks...Besides the election is two years away, give it a rest.

08-05-2006, 05:29 AM
How many cops/excops do you think run COPS TRAINING PRGRAMS!!!! yet another moron on this site!

08-05-2006, 10:06 AM

We are setting our sights pretty low. Not to mention the alcohol issue..but how about just plain stupid?

Why don't you run you idiot! Learn the facts before you spout off your ignoant mouth!

08-05-2006, 01:44 PM
After the material you post, you have the nerve to call me a moron. All I stated were a few facts. Just putting the rest of the story about your beloved CL and his side enterprise out there. Man, that must really bother you. I am fully aware that cops earn money training other cops,professionals, whoever. Yea lets go ahead and make CL our Sheriff, then we can have TC,TE,SR as our Majors. Wait we almost have that same line up now. Thats alot of Police experience there. " Hey you drop that eraser, or I'll call the principal" . I can see the employees really giving thier respect to just such a group. After all it would be so duely earned and deserved. It would really be a breath of fresh air. I feel so relieved now, and to think after all these years I thought all I needed to do was put bad guys in jail, help folks out and be a decent person. How silly of me. I agree CL for Sheriff it will be such a change!!

08-05-2006, 01:58 PM
[quote=LEOretired]I agree, I never worked with CL, yet he is very well connected and already sounds political when speaking. He can proberbly finance the campaign out of his own pocket, and its proberbly a smart move to run as a Dem with DG and LD getting messy on the Rep side of the election. Aside from the DUI, which its my understanding was dropped, he should not be overlooked.Are U kiddin? A guy arrested for DUI is a contender for sheriff?
We are setting our sights pretty low. Not to mention the alcohol issue..but how about just plain stupid?Why don't you run you idiot! Learn the facts before you spout off your ignoant mouth![/quote:h583vhzd]CL is apparently angry. :roll:

No offense to you CL, but it's not going to happen. Sorry. I wish you the best of luck at the ballot box. You will find that running an election is extremely expensive, nerve wracking, time consuming, nasty (mud & skeletons & accusations slung) and, for the loser, it is a very hurtful and bitter experience, espicially if you only get 3% of the vote, like Simpson did. And anybody who openly supports you will not be trusted for the next 4 years & they will be punished (word to the wise).

You will run yourself into the political ground to the bitter end. Sorry about that. You will find it to be a very painful experience. There is nothing that I or anybody else on this forum (or in person) can say to you to change your mind, sooooo....

Good luck in your journey. :) You will find out. :shock:

Now, will the real candidates please step forward? :lol:

08-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Knowing Curt, I can tell you he is not upset or angry. He knows full well he has hurdles t overcome in the election and knows even though his dui case was dismissed, it will be an area of attack on him. However he also feels that he can compete well with the other candidates despite the dropped traffic charge. I can also say that he is like Balkwill in some ways, but for the most part he is not. He's very pro-union and would be a cops cop. He has spoken across the country and will do fine against any of the other candidates. As far as being angry, I doubt it, they guy has enough bucks to finance the campaign himself, heads for the county substance abuse program making another 90 grand a year and has a sucessful police training company. Not to mention, he's eligble to collect a pension under FRS after 20+ years of police work. I wouldn't be angry in his shoes!

08-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry guys I am not backing some smoe that has been on the other side of the fence. I dont care what he has done to rectify himself. Great job he had a great carreer and corrected his drinking issues but it stops there. I dont think that is the makings of a good Sheriff.

There has to be better candidates out there than that. I watching. Dont tell me some town police chief or former has been that has run 10 times and cant win. I mean someone with Police qualifications whos pro union wants to give us pay raises to keep up or catch up with the times. Not some business guy with no LE experience either. Mabe Kevin Berry from Orange county could come over here Just my .02

08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Sorry guys I am not backing some smoe that has been on the other side of the fence. I dont care what he has done to rectify himself. Great job he had a great carreer and corrected his drinking issues but it stops there. I dont think that is the makings of a good Sheriff.

There has to be better candidates out there than that. I watching. Dont tell me some town police chief or former has been that has run 10 times and cant win. I mean someone with Police qualifications whos pro union wants to give us pay raises to keep up or catch up with the times. Not some business guy with no LE experience either. Mabe Kevin Berry from Orange county could come over here Just my .02

He is not some business guy with no LE experience. He has worked with distinction with Other agencies such palm beach county School board police where he was well respected and won the medal of Valour. Who ever said he had a drinking problem anyway. Let face it **** wad how many times you ever went out and had more then 1 drink which you all know would put your ass in jail for DUI. I laugh at people like you who think your lilly white just because you did not get arrested because you were lucky enough to badge yourself out of it. I guess his biggest problem is that the guy who made the arrest hated BB and anyone who was friends with him. Hey guy grow up and face facts very few people make no mistakes and by the sound of your attitude I fifure you just haven't been cuaght yet. :shock:

08-11-2006, 07:13 PM

He is not some business guy with no LE experience. He has worked with distinction with Other agencies such palm beach county School board police where he was well respected and won the medal of Valour. Who ever said he had a drinking problem anyway. Lets face it **** wad how many times did you ever go out and had more then 1 drink which you all know would put your ass in jail for DUI. I laugh at people like you who think your lilly white just because you did not get arrested because you were lucky enough to badge yourself out of it. I guess his biggest problem is that the guy who made the arrest hated BB and anyone who was friends with him. Hey guy grow up and face facts very few people make no mistakes and by the sound of your attitude I figure you just haven't been cuaght yet. :shock:

08-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Not only because I know he would take care of the SRO Unit which I am in, but because he's a great guy, Curt would have my vote. Especially considering the other mucks who have said their running.

08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
You stated, "I guess his biggest problem is that the guy who made the arrest hated BB and anyone who was friends with him." I disagree. I think his biggest problem is alcohol. I was there the night he was arrested. I watched the field sobriety tests. He was impaired-no doubt. You should thank the guy who made the arrest everytime you see him because he has saved countless lives by getting impaired drivers off the road! Also, if you check the facts, when said person arrested BB's son, a phone call was placed to BB and he was told to " do his job." So its not a matter of whether someone is liked or who is friends with who, it's about doing your job. The job you took an oath to do.

08-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Saw CL in the jail the night he was arrested.....SG1 and an emotional mess...not the man I want as my boss

08-12-2006, 08:00 PM
See ya 2008. Feel free to post your remarks now.

08-12-2006, 10:03 PM

He is not some business guy with no LE experience. He has worked with distinction with Other agencies such palm beach county School board police where he was well respected and won the medal of Valour. Who ever said he had a drinking problem anyway. Lets face it . wad how many times did you ever go out and had more then 1 drink which you all know would put your arse in jail for DUI. I laugh at people like you who think your lilly white just because you did not get arrested because you were lucky enough to badge yourself out of it. I guess his biggest problem is that the guy who made the arrest hated BB and anyone who was friends with him. Hey guy grow up and face facts very few people make no mistakes and by the sound of your attitude I figure you just haven't been cuaght yet. :shock:

Sorry gomer. If I drink I do it at home. I KNOW BETTER. Dont run your trap when you have no idea. I laugh at your comment badge flash. Youre an idiot. Ok lets commit a crime and then badge flash. Speeding or infraction Im all for a badge flash but a CRIME..Youre on your own. So try that crap somehwere else. I have a family to support and a drunk's stupidity isnt going to cost me my job and pension. SO if youre gonna "Justice" Someone try elsewhere and come on a School Board cop---Oh theres a distinged employer. Oh and Valour is spelled; "VALOR" I have the same medal from 1991 so sell that one elsewhere and I know I earned mine the HARD way.
I just stated my opinion never did I say he was a bad person just that I dont think he would make a good Sheriff as it sounded like he had a good career as an Officer but not as a public fiqure which such prestige as a Florida SHERIFF.

08-13-2006, 12:54 AM
If it holds to now Kevin Gooding decides to run, I think he would be my vote so far..None of the others had credible pasts that dont involve criminal histories. I know cops screw up and do rectify their careers and such forth but just retire with dignity and leave it at that. Do you really think the public would vote for you when they criminal allegations, arrests etc in your past. Why would you even do that to yourself? Go play golf somehwere and just enjoy your pension.

08-13-2006, 11:57 AM
If it holds to now Kevin Gooding decides to run, I think he would be my vote so far..None of the others had credible pasts that dont involve criminal histories. I know cops screw up and do rectify their careers and such forth but just retire with dignity and leave it at that. Do you really think the public would vote for you when they criminal allegations, arrests etc in your past. Why would you even do that to yourself? Go play golf somehwere and just enjoy your pension.Excellent point. However, I DO NOT think that Kevin Gooding is coming back to Sarasota County. Has he officially moved his residency to Georgia -- or does he have any residency down here in Sarasota???

I don't know whose going to run, but if some of these clowns decide to run, like Bill Balkwill, Larry Dunklee, Curt Laverello or others -- and if Kevin Gooding throws his hat in the ring -- then he's got my support 100%. But like I said, I don't even know if he's eligible to run down here, due to residency requirements.

And I agree with you that these guys who have arrest records are living in fantasyland if they think that the voters will put them in office.

08-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah as far as Gooding I agree last I knew he went to Peach State. Good for him. My only beef is I just want to see a Cop cop run not from some small town city, Give us raises to bring us up to the means of inflation. 5 to 7 grnad would definitely help.
I get sick of hearing about these guys from previous elections, Oops let put a 3 mortgage on our house honey and run again... I might get it this time..

Then the guy with the criminal questions in their closets. I think you know where Im comming from. There has got to be someone decent who will run but I think its just too early to tell.

08-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Why keep the same Monge, Terry Lewis era around here? Balkwill has screwed this place up royally! We do NOT need another person from the past two administrations to come in here to get it "like it was". Nothing against KG but he needs to stay retired! We need someone from far far away to come in, clean house and make a new SSO.

08-14-2006, 01:20 PM
First, Lavarello has NO conviction, it was tossed out. Sorry you may not like that answer, but fact remains IT WAS DISMISSED! Clean record guys..... 2nd, he was NOT S-1, if her were and had he failed the sobriety testing, he would have been convicted. I saw his roadside sobriety test on video tape, and sorry, he was not drunk nor did he blow some BS .16 on some administrative blow, he refused due to who was conducting the test. You are the guys who live in a fantasy world. You just hate anyone that has anything to do with Balkwill. Lets recap some of the biggest lies posted on here....

1) Lavarello was DUI (sorry, dismissed, NO CRIME)
2) Balkwill will be charged by the FBI (Hmm, WHEN? Suppose to happen months ago??)
3) Only friends of Balkwill get promoted! (Yea, look at the latest round of promotions. I don't see a lot of Balkwill friends)
4) Stinger was Drunk at his arrest! (NO WAY, and funny how his video disappeared showing he was NOT drunk) and there were NO INJURIES.
5) Electra Bustle will run for sheriff..., Yea right!

So take your BS elsewhere!! Get YOUR facts straight.

Still only about 2-3 malcontents making the postings here and one was was recently reprimanded and she slams anyone having anything to do with Balkwill.

08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Still only 3 malcontents making the postings here. Keep telling yourself that. :lol: And if it makes Balkwill feel good, then keep telling him that!!! :lol: Whose in fantasyland now??? Have you visited the troops lately to hear the scoop on the screet??? I didn't think so. Reality bites for you, doesn't it?

BTW, Cpt Burns ordered Curt Laverello to provide an administrative breath sample and it was a .16% -- so when you say he didn't blow, then you're full of it.

08-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Sorry, I saw the file and there is not one single piece of evidence that Lavarello blew .16. Perhaps you should take a look.

Also, didn't a 3 judge panel just toss a crapload of our cases due to our breathalyzer unit? My thinking is he gets pulled over by CS who comments about "Aren't you Bill's Buddy" (funny how audio tapes disappeared), and admitted to having a few drinks (not S-1), and CS decides to burn a cop and send a message to the sheriff. I wouldn't blow either.

Oh, and again, you failed to mention the most important thing..

THE CASE WAS DISMISSED!!!

08-14-2006, 01:46 PM
I agree, it was dismissed, so lets move on.....

Everyone knows CS hated BB, which is why he arrested his son a few days before the election and Lavarello.

This is OLD news, so lets move on!!

08-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I saw the file and there is not one single piece of evidence that Lavarello blew .16. Perhaps you should take a look.

Also, didn't a 3 judge panel just toss a crapload of our cases due to our breathalyzer unit? My thinking is he gets pulled over by CS who comments about "Aren't you Bill's Buddy" (funny how audio tapes disappeared), and admitted to having a few drinks (not S-1), and CS decides to burn a cop and send a message to the sheriff. I wouldn't blow either.

Oh, and again, you failed to mention the most important thing..

THE CASE WAS DISMISSED!!!When Cpt. Dario Valente arrested that citizen for placing a campaign sign in a yard, was that a legal arrest?

When Sgt. Ray Fairman arrested Det. Chris Felix for DUI, was it a legitimate arrest?

When the state trooper arrested Major Daryl Stinger for DUI (with crash & injuries) was it a legitimate arrest?

When Dep. Chuck Stillwagon arrested Dep. Curt Laverello for DUI (while driving a cop car) was it a legitimate arrest???

Lots of confusing issues, eh???? Is it political or were crimes committed???

08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
>>When Cpt. Dario Valente arrested that citizen for placing a campaign sign in a yard, was that a legal arrest? <<

What the heck does that have to do with anything????

>>When Sgt. Ray Fairman arrested Det. Chris Felix for DUI, was it a legitimate arrest? <<

No, was not legit...Was dismissed and Fairman was and remains a piece of garbage!

>>When the state trooper arrested Major Daryl Stinger for DUI (with crash & injuries) was it a legitimate arrest?<<

No, there were NO injuries and DS was not drunk.

>>When Dep. Chuck Stillwagon arrested Dep. Curt Laverello for DUI (while driving a cop car) was it a legitimate arrest??? <<

Chuck is a piece of garbage and it apparently was NOT a legit arrest or the state atty would not have DISMISSED it. Duhhhh
and he was not driving a "Cop" car, it was registered with the agency, but is was PAID for by the Nat'l Assoc of School Resource Officers.

>>Lots of confusing issues, eh???? Is it political or were crimes committed???<<

Hmmm, I'd say POLITICAL!!

08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
>>When Sgt. Ray Fairman arrested Det. Chris Felix for DUI, was it a legitimate arrest? <<

No, was not legit...Was dismissed and Fairman was and remains a piece of garbage! The charge was reduced to reckless driving and Chris Felix has a permanent arrest record. BTW, he pleaded guilty to it. ;)
>>When the state trooper arrested Major Daryl Stinger for DUI (with crash & injuries) was it a legitimate arrest?<<

No, there were NO injuries and DS was not drunk.A jury found him guilty of all of that and he now has a permanent arrest record. He is a convict. So much for your unbiased opinion. :roll:

Are you saying that the state trooper's arrest of Major Stinger was "politically motivated"? :roll:
>>When Dep. Chuck Stillwagon arrested Dep. Curt Laverello for DUI (while driving a cop car) was it a legitimate arrest??? <<

Chuck is a piece of garbage and it apparently was NOT a legit arrest or the state atty would not have DISMISSED it. Duhhhh
and he was not driving a "Cop" car, it was registered with the agency, but is was PAID for by the Nat'l Assoc of School Resource Officers.He blew a .16 on the intox. If that's good enough to convict citizens, then it's good enough to indicate that Curt Laverello should not have been behind the wheel.

And okay okay okay, so maybe Laverello was driving a car that was paid for by NASRO -- that money is supposed to be spent on the welefare of our children -- but instead, he using it to drink & drive in a NASRO car paid for with donations from unsuspecting people? :roll:

08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Is there anyone with a credible history no,,,not this levaro guy-- I mean someone without an arrest history..Not the current has been who ran and current substance abuse counselors etc...I mean a cop from somehwere with actual qualifications and education and was a real cop not school board PD..No offense SROs dont want your job you all know you get out of the realm of police work when you go in there. Facts are facts

08-14-2006, 07:39 PM
>>When Cpt. Dario Valente arrested that citizen for placing a campaign sign in a yard, was that a legal arrest? <<

What the heck does that have to do with anything????

No, was not legit...Was dismissed and Fairman was and remains a piece of garbage!

No, there were NO injuries and DS was not drunk.

and he was not driving a "Cop" car, it was registered with the agency, but is was PAID for by the Nat'l Assoc of School Resource Officers.

>>Lots of confusing issues, eh???? Is it political or were crimes committed???<<

Hmmm, I'd say POLITICAL!!

AFTER READING WHAT EVERYONE HERE IS SAYING IT SEEMS THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD POINTS AND THE BIG ONE FOR ME IS CURT LAVARELLO SEEMS TO HAVE DONE A LOT OF GOOD STUFF FOR A LONG TIME AND JUST BECAUSE HE HAS A FRIENDSHIP WITH OUR SHERIFF IT HAS CAUSED HIM ALOT OF PROBLEMS.
GOODING SHOULD STAY RETIRED HE NEEDS TO MOVE ON.
BALKWILL NEEDS TO CALL IT A DAY AFTER THIS TERM AND MOVE ON WITH HIS LIFE.
T LEWIS HAS HIS OWN GIG ON NOW AND NEEDS TO STAY THERE.
DEP CHUCK IS A PIECE OF CRAP AND ALWAYS WILL BE HE CAN BE BOUGHT ON A PROMISE OR REVENGE

BUT THIS LAVARELLO GUY DESERVES A FAIR SHAKE. LETS SEE WHAT HE DOES IN THE MONTHS TO COME. I'VE TALKED TO ALOT OF NASRO PEOPLE AND THEY SAY HE MADE NASRO AND IS WELL RESPECTED AROUND THE COUNTRY. WAS HE SET UP? LOOKING AT WHAT YOU GUYS ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY GOOOD CHANCE BUNKIE! AFTER ALL I KNOW WHAT DEPUTIES HAVE DONE AND WHAT THEY ARE CAPEABLE OF DOING DON'T THINK IT COULDN'T HAPPEN BECAUSE IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY.

I FEEL THAT TIME WILL TELL AND KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW I DON'T THINK I WOULD LIKE TO BE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF CHUCK IF I WAS STOPPED BY HIM FOR A DUI CHECK POINT. HE CAN SURE MAKE A PASTOR LOOK LIKE THE DEVEL.
YOU GUYS EVER NOTICE HOW HE LIKES TO BLOCK THE CAMERA WHEN GIVING HIS TESTS OUT IN THE FIELD. HE HAS A HABIT OF SAYING "OK SIR DO YOU NEED SOME HELP IN GETTING UP WHEN THE PERSON IS STILL STANDING, OR DO YOU NEED TO HOLD ONTO ME WHEN HE DOESN'T NEED TO. OR SIR YOUR NOT COOPERARTING WITH ME DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TELLING YOU" MEANWHILE THE GUY IS LOOKING AT HIM LIKE HE IS THE ONE THAT SHOULD BE TAKING THE TESTS.

LIKE I SAID AFTER LOOKING OVER THINGS I WOULD SAY LOOK AT THE FACTS

1 LAVARELLO'S CASE WAS THROWN OUT
2 OUR OWN MACHINE HAS ITS PROBLEM AND MORE THEN LAVARELLO,S CASE WAS THROWN OUT
3 THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS HE IS NOT GUILTY AND IF YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT THE OATH WE TOOK. THEN THAT IS PART OF IT
4 THE STATES ATTORNEY WOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THRU IF HE THOUGHT HE COULD BECAUSE THATS THEY WAY IT IS
5 SO WE ARE NOW GOING TO HOLD THIS AGAINST LAVARELLO WHEN MOST OF US REALLY KNOW THAT HE VERY WELL WAS PROBABLY RAILROADED.
6 KNOWING WHAT HE KNOWS ABOUT THIS DEPARTMENT AND HOW BADLY IT WAS PERMITTED TO RUN HE WILL PROBABLY DO A GRAET JOB. THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL HAVE A HARD TIME IS THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRULY TARNISHED THE STAR.

I SPOKE TO SOMEONE WHO SAID THAT HE ASKED CL IF HE WERE TO BE ELECTED SHERIFF WHAT WOULD HE DO TO CHUCK. HE SAID " MAYBE ALL CHUCK NEEDS IS SOMEONE TO POINT HIM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, IT SEEMS AS THOUGH REVENGE AND BAD POLITICS IS GIVING THIS AGENCY A BAD NAME AND THAT HAS TO STOP".I WAS SHOCKED
7 MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL THINK ABOUT THAT AND TAKE A LETS WAIT AND SEE ATTITUDE.

08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH REVENGE AND BAD POLITICS IS GIVING THIS AGENCY A BAD NAME AND THAT HAS TO STOPNow THAT I agree with!!!! But it's NOT going to stop because politics continues to drive this agency in a way that I've NEVER seen before. Under Monge, politics was the exception, but under Balkwill, it has become the rule. The job is no longer fun because of all the revenge that is STILL going around.

08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Enough Lavarello bashing, the guy's charge was dropped. So, if someone says that they saw you do something as an officer, and you get charged, does that automatically mean you did it? Or does everyone have their day in court? Give me a break. personally I think it was BS he got charged, but Im not going there. I can tell you this, if we locked up every deputy that has had a few drinks and drove, we'd have hundreds of deputies charged, so it does smell of politics. In knowing Chuck Stellwagon's ties to Dave Gustofson, I may even agree with that possibility.

Will he be a good sheriff? I have no clue, but I do know he was a Lt. or Captain in Broward County and later went to the palm beach school board pd, he ran a large law enforcement association with a large budget, is well known in the political circles, was apparently very pro-union and according to one deputy who worked with him in Broward, fought hard for raises and benefits. So of those who have been mentioned so far, he'd get my vote despite a dropped dui charge.

my .02!

08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Enough Lavarello bashing, the guy's charge was dropped. So, if someone says that they saw you do something as an officer, and you get charged, does that automatically mean you did it? Or does everyone have their day in court? Give me a break. personally I think it was BS he got charged, but Im not going there. I can tell you this, if we locked up every deputy that has had a few drinks and drove, we'd have hundreds of deputies charged, so it does smell of politics. In knowing Chuck Stellwagon's ties to Dave Gustofson, I may even agree with that possibility.

Will he be a good sheriff? I have no clue, but I do know he was a Lt. or Captain in Broward County and later went to the palm beach school board pd, he ran a large law enforcement association with a large budget, is well known in the political circles, was apparently very pro-union and according to one deputy who worked with him in Broward, fought hard for raises and benefits. So of those who have been mentioned so far, he'd get my vote despite a dropped dui charge.

Now I've been waiting for someone to start telling the truth and her it is. I heard the same thing about this guy Lavarello. It seems that all he wants to do is good for the people who work for him. You got my vote. We need the change here.

my .02!

08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
The truth here is he was twice the legal limit when he was requested to blow into the portable breath tester. .016 that cannot be disputed.
The reason it was tossed by the SAO was for a technical issue with the set up of the check point. Stellwagen did what all of us are paid to do make arrests and protect the public.
All of you that think you jnow the law and spout brotherhood just remember he has made i heard over 3000 DUI arrests and thats 3000 times he has protected you, your family, your neighbor, ect.
One day soon one of you will stop a drunk, cop or not and not fel like doing the arrest. So maybe you call him a cab or another ride and sternlly tell him to go home! Oh thats right he will follow your directions and do exactly as you say. But 2 maybe 3 hours later he decides to drive again, what a shame he didnt listen to you. He kills someone or maybe even himself???
Well you are thinking "I did my job" its not your fault he didnt listen!
Guess what now???????????????????
You have to mortgage the house sell the boat and explain to your family why you are being sued and stand to loose everything, and possibly?, no you will loose it for deriliction of duty.
But reading all this shows we have alot of fly by night lawyers wearing badges who think its all a political game.
Yes maybe what CL did is not the crime of the century but he choose to drink and drive, and got caught.
So think what you want about this but you better think the next time you or your Sgt tells you to get him a cab we cant get tied up doing a DUI. And you need to shake Stellwagens hand for keeping YOU and your family safe.

08-14-2006, 11:29 PM
You are out of your freaking mind with the whole save someones life BS. When was the last time you heard of a drunk driver getting caught, having a cab called for him and then getting back on the road later and killing someone? I'm sure it has happened somewhere, however I haven't ever heard of something like that happening. Much less the cop that called him a cab being sued for derilection. First off, if I was to drink and drive and I did get stopped and cut a break...I damn sure would not go back out. Secondly, most Deps I know who do cut breaks do not let the person continue home with their car if they are F'd up. Please spare us the "ohh chuck has saved 3000 lives BS. Chuck has saved some lives and mailboxes, no debating that, however he has also destroyed lives and careers over dramatising someones BAC. Do I believe DUI is serious, yes. Do I believe some people should take a ride for DUI, yes. Do I believe that I have common sense enough to determine the likelyhood of cutting someone a break and them ending up killing someone, I believe I do otherwise I would not cut them a break. Would I be sorry if it actually happened, absolutely. When it comes down to it though I do not believe that everyone I stop that smells of ETOH needs to go to jail, unless I know their a Sheetball and they'll take the ride for anything I can find. Shake hands with Chuck for saving lives.....Not a chance. Soon he'll be gone and we'll have some other cop hunting DUI dork taking his place. This post is no means a reflection of Flint however, that is a good cop who has common sense enough to determine who does and doesn't need to go for a ride.

08-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Balkwill isn't running in the next election. Otherwise, he wouldn't have hired his campaign manager as a new SSO employee. ;)

08-15-2006, 02:38 PM
If you don't think arresting drunks is important please take the time to talk to one of the family members who lost a loved one to a drunk. ANYBODY who gets behind the wheel drunk needs to go to jail. A cop who drinks and drives should know better than anybody else because they have seen first hand the damage it causes. If you have ever had to personally deliver a death notification you would know what you were talking about.

08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
We are not talking about responding to the scene of an accident with injuries where a cop is smashed and bodies lie about the roadway. I'm talking about working a checkpoint or stopping a fellow officer who has had a few too many and I give him a ride home instead of arresting him. I do it all the time and will continue to do so. I have stopped our own Sgt's, Lt's and yes, even one of our captains all of whom may have blown over the .08, but they got breaks. I don't even care for the Lt, yea, he wears a badge and got the free ride.

I know the difference between the habitual drunk, 3-4 suspensions on his license and usually a criminal history. Those are the ones I see who end up killing people, not the cop coming from a football party who is .12 or so.

GET REAL, I'll continue to police the way I have for the past 18 years. Chuck and others can do what they need to do!

08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
This conversation is sooo stupid.. YOU DRINK AND DRIVE..Go to Jail. Who cares who you are. Oh sure put a brother in a positiion to make a decison like that. Yall are stupid if you think different. (take the monkey off my back- Call a supervisor) Whatever supervisor decides he or she isnt leaving any further driving.

As far as Laverto or whatever, I dont care if the charges were dropped. I dont want him for Sheriff. I wait to see a better candidate that what is mentioned now. The guy hired a good attorney good for him. ( MADD will surely support him )Next hes a dead beat. Stay retired keep your dignity and enjoy your School Board PD pension. They guy will not get my vote and no voter is going to vote a Chief LE position in any county (67) with an arrest history convited or not. Mark my word so lets to move on to suitable candidates.

08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Geez this is old already. How about throwing out some new names. Is there anyone at the S/O ,command staff,Lt.,Sgt, Dep. C/O, records clerk whoever that you guys think could run the SSO???? Maybe there is a dark horse out there waiting to throw their name into the ring. You have to admit the current list of candidates is not too stellar. Come on throw some names out, it should generate wonderful conversation and speculation. No TE do not bother as we all know that you are a BB/CL man. The person needs to already be an effective leader (notice I didnt say manager), geuinely care about the employees not micro manage, be self confident, know that you cant make everyone happy not matter how many you promote. That it is ok to say good job and not feel that everyone needs a promotion, etc. just recognititon for a job well done would suffice. This is the 21st century. The hardcastle/monge days are done and all the hold overs from that generation need to reitre. There are quality individuals waiting to show what they can do and all this stagnation is killing the SSO. You need to have ethics, integrity, look squared away and act it. Lastly no BS ,just shoot straight you are going to make mistakes, piss off some emplyees and the public. Thats is part of being a leader. To Qoute Theodore Roosevelt, " The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and the self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it." OOOO RAH!!

08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
This conversation is sooo stupid.. YOU DRINK AND DRIVE..Go to Jail. Who cares who you are. Oh sure put a brother in a positiion to make a decison like that. Yall are stupid if you think different. (take the monkey off my back- Call a supervisor) Whatever supervisor decides he or she isnt leaving any further driving.

As far as Laverto or whatever, I dont care if the charges were dropped. I dont want him for Sheriff. I wait to see a better candidate that what is mentioned now. The guy hired a good attorney good for him. ( MADD will surely support him )Next hes a dead beat. Stay retired keep your dignity and enjoy your School Board PD pension. They guy will not get my vote and no voter is going to vote a Chief LE position in any county (67) with an arrest history convited or not. Mark my word so lets to move on to suitable candidates.

ok SAY GOOD NIGHT LARRY

08-15-2006, 06:12 PM
A sheriffs candidate needs to already be an effective leader (notice I didnt say manager).Garden variety managers solve existing problems, while quality executives anticipate them. Big difference.

08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Who is Larry?? I know Im am not. Hey have another drink. Larry isnt anywhere in my post.

08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Is that Air Force?

DO NOT SUPPORT A DRUNK. Its a wasted vote..next....

08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Funny, someone says we don't need a drunk for sheriff, what he heck do we have now in BB??? Reformed drunk, crotch grabbing no college guy in the #2 slot, current drunk and arrestee in the # 3 slot! and a drunk / arrestee running for sheriff.

08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
And they actually lecture us on integrity when we get hired? Wow!

08-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I never realized how many alcohol free employees we have here and am truly amazed with their zeal to identify the drinkers among us. Maybe we can line them up, hurl rocks at them.
And since so many here are without sin, we should have a long line to cast that first stone.
Meanwhile bartender, another round on me. And make mine a double.

08-18-2006, 01:29 AM
MOST COPS TOSS BACK A FEW. THATS NOT THE PROBLEM. ITS THE WAY THEY OPERATE. JIM HARDCALTLE WAS NOT A TEA TOTALER BUT HE IS THE LAST SHERIFF THAT LOOKED OUT FOR HIS PEOPLE. THERE IS NOT TRUST OR RESPECT TODAY.

08-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Didnt he get put in Jail??

08-19-2006, 12:50 AM
HE WAS FOUND NOT GUILTY. DID A FEW STUPID THINGS LIKE LIKE FLYING THE COMPANY AIRPLANE TO THE BAHAMAS FOR HAPPY HOUR, AND WAS A REAL CRAPPY BOOKEEPER, BUT I DONT THINK HE WAS A THIEF AT HEART. HE WAS THE LAST SHERIFF THAT CUT HIS TEETH AS A STREET COP SIMILAR TO CHARLIE WELLS. I COULD BE WRONG, WHO KNOWS, BUT HE DID DRAMATICALLY INCREASE SALARY AND BENEFITS. ALSO GOT IN THE CO COMISSION FACE A FEW TIMES AND WENT TO THE LEGISLATURE WHEN THEY WERE TRYING TO LOW BALL HIS BUDGET.
NOW WE GET BIG BUDGET INCREASES BUT I DOSNT GET PASSED DOWN TO THE GRUNTS!