PDA

View Full Version : Tom Lyons on John Coffin case

News Flash
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Tom Lyons on John Coffin case
When prosecutors filed formal charges against John Coffin, they rightly left out one big one.

It was the one that the sheriff's office had gone overboard with: attempted murder.

Coffin, a landlord, is charged with battering and injuring two sheriff's deputies after they came to his Nokomis home to serve a civil injunction, a restraining order related to a dispute in another county with a tenant he wanted to evict.

I've written before that I think the deputies seriously botched the job.Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/COLUMNIST36/607180348/-1/OPINION09) for the full Tom Lyons' story.

07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
That is the WORST article i have ever seen in the newspaper about people at our agency! SF for one should have never been hired - people told KG and others about her but they let her slide. Oh well, just a matter of time.

07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
That is the WORST article i have ever seen in the newspaper about people at our agency! SF for one should have never been hired - people told KG and others about her but they let her slide. Oh well, just a matter of time.I don't know about all that, but...

This is a very sticky case. If all you have is civil paperwork and if the respondant refuses to come to the door, then you cannot, by law, enter the private residence without consent. If the respondant or the respondant's wife chooses to close the door in your face, you still can't force your way into the house, based solely on trying to execute civil paperwork. Therefore, Mrs. Coffin can't be charged with obstruction for that. However, even if the police made an illegal entry that was based on their poor training, Ms. Coffin can be charged with obstruction for her interference in the deputies efforts to arrest Mr. Coffin. This is where it gets really sticky.

Also, Mr. Coffin did not have a legal right to stop the deputies from arresting Mrs. Coffin by beating them up, even if their initial arrest was illegal because state law says that a defendant cannot resist arrest, even if the arrest is unlawful.... and a bystander cannot interfere with an unlawful arrest by beating up the cops, even if the arrest is unlawful. Again, this gets really sticky.

I would guess that this kind of case is every cops worst nightmare and that's why training training training is so important. This is a basic search and seizure case.

Attorney 101

07-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Great Article!!

07-19-2006, 04:03 PM
so if they went into the house on civil papers illegally, wouldnt all the charges after that get dropped? Thats means a civil lawsuit against those Deputies i would think. Not Good!

07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
so if they went into the house on civil papers illegally, wouldnt all the charges after that get dropped? Nope!!!

1) Deputies illegally enter the house on obstruction charge.

2) Deputies get into a Wrestling match with Ms. Idiot.

3) Mr. Idiot goes and kicks both deputies asses. That's illegal and that charge won't get thrown out.

4) Ms. Idiot helps Mr. Idiot while he's kicking deputies asses. That's illegal and that charge won't get thrown out.

Thats means a civil lawsuit against those Deputies i would think. Not Good!Yep, that's quite possible. Lots of attorneys would take THAT case because there could be $$$ involved and that's all attorneys are looking for. :roll:

07-20-2006, 12:30 AM
The Point Is!!!!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DID THE COFFINS HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMMIT ASSAULT OR BATTERY UPON THOSE OFFICERS!!!!

You can say what you want about the legality of the entry into the home, but the facts are the same...The deputies believed they were doing the right thing when they entered the home. How dare Lyons suggest they knowingly violated Coffin's rights. Deputies are people too, and people make mistakes. Lyons has a week to make his decision and write his column, but officers have a split second to make our decisions.

Case law specifically states that even though an officer may be in a location that they do not have the right to be, that does not give any person the right to beat-up or obstruct that officers actions.

It continues to drive me nuts. The pubilic truly believes we all chose a career in law enforcement so we all could be bullies. That's right I wanted to get back at the bullies from elementary school so bad that I put myself through college and the police academy. And for what? A job that barely pays my rent and requires I wear a bullet proof vest so I come home at night. I get to work midnight shift for years on end, missing family holidays and my kids birthdays.

It saddens me that so few even consider that I chose this career because I want to do good. And the public wonders why we call it the Blue Wall. I guess you have to be a cop to understand why and what we do.

Who will pick up the flag and run once all the cops abandon law enforcement for the private sector. Certainly not you Tom Lyons.

07-20-2006, 03:05 AM
It is very sad that Tom Lyons makes a living by posting his ignorant views in the paper. He could not walk a day in our shoes yet he criticizes us all the time. Every time I put my uniform on and my vest, I would like to think that most people appreciate that I protect them while they sleep. But not Tom. In his book we are the "bad guys". Tom deserves to spend some time with all the "innocent" people in jail. They also share his views on how bad COPS are. Tom would fit right in. Maybe he would get new material for his stories. Tom, I hope that you or your family never become a victim of a violent crime. I wonder if you would make a 911 call to summon the "bad cops" to respond to your call for help. Tom, you criticize us, here is little criticism for you. You are a biased, irresponsible journalist. In your eyes this town is full of "bad cops" that go around violating peoples rights. In my opinion you are one poor excuse for journalist. Now, how does that feel, Tom.

07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
The above 3 posts hit the nail on the head. Even if the deputies illegally entered the house based on their poor training, it doesn't give the two defendants the legal right to resist, assault, batter or beat-up the officers. First of all, the deputies only wanted to "talk," the the two defendants chose to get into a violent confrontation and that's illegal, no matter how you slice it. The deputies illegal entry into the house was a civil violation, but the defendants assault & battery on the officers is a criminal violation. If an officer makes a civil mistake, it doesn't give a citizen the right to commit a criminal violation (battery) against the officer(s).

07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
tom lyons is a joke and most of this city/county realizes that. i have heard this for years from many citizens also. i have been hearing this prior to becoming a cops also. :wink:

07-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Lyons, Thomas C

8567 Lakeside Dr
ENGLEWOOD, FL 34223
941-475-0228

07-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Lyons is a piece of SHT (Sarasota Herald-Trib)

07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, regardless, SF just made the Coffins very wealthy! Whether they sue the S/O or her individually, they will win. I agree they shouldnt have battered an Officer but what else do you do when a uniform walks into YOUR home illegally - call 911??? I wouldn't have battered the Officer but i know I would now be very wealthy!!! I bet WF is glad to be divorced right about now!!!

07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, regardless, SF just made the Coffins very wealthy! Whether they sue the S/O or her individually, they will win. I agree they shouldnt have battered an Officer but what else do you do when a uniform walks into YOUR home illegally - call 911??? By law, you are required to submit to the request's of the officers. Period. I agree that there will eventually be a settlement out of court because that's how we always do things.

07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree they shouldnt have battered an Officer but what else do you do when a uniform walks into YOUR home illegally - call 911??? By law, you are required to submit to the request's of the officers. Period. I agree that there will eventually be a settlement out of court because that's how we always do things.You asked: "What else can you do when a uniform walked into YOUR home illegally?"First of all, your question really pisses me off because it sounds like you're indirectly justifying the assault on the officers. Second of all, if the police illegally walk into your home, then all you have to do is comply with their instructions and then either:
1) complain to their supervisors and/or
2) let the courts work it out, whichever is appropriate.
It is never ever acceptable to assault and batter officers, simply for illegally walking into your home. You will ALWAYS lose if you do that.

I want to call you an idiot, but I won't because I don't want this post to get deleted. :!:

07-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, regardless, SF just made the Coffins very wealthy! Whether they sue the S/O or her individually, they will win. I agree they shouldnt have battered an Officer but what else do you do when a uniform walks into YOUR home illegally - call 911??? I wouldn't have battered the Officer but i know I would now be very wealthy!!! I bet WF is glad to be divorced right about now!!!it sounds like you have it out for SF you must be john Glintasssssssssssssssssss, get over it there were two officers there that did notthing wrong, if u read the facts in the case maybe you wouldnt be speaking out of your a$$$$$$$$, get over your grudge and move on, the state and the department investigated and found no wrong doing. Tom Lyons has a fan in the department i guesss, it is very sad to think that another deputy is happy that a two fellow offficers fought for there lives, what has this department come to

07-22-2006, 01:53 AM
You say fought for their lives but the rumors i heard , which some of it ISNT rumor is that SF didnt have a SCRATCH on her but yet was supposedly knocked out ??? Explain that please....the other guy obviously had a head wound....but i still think if they would not have (and I mean SF) illegally entered the house and dropped the wife none of this would have gone this far. This is based on the stories i heard, one being from someone who was at the scene quickly! Who knows...i wouldnt want to be in their shoes though - the SSO will be paying BIG money for this one!

07-22-2006, 05:57 AM
You say fought for their lives but the rumors i heard , which some of it ISNT rumor is that SF didnt have a SCRATCH on her but yet was supposedly knocked out ??? Explain that please....the other guy obviously had a head wound....but i still think if they would not have (and I mean SF) illegally entered the house and dropped the wife none of this would have gone this far. This is based on the stories i heard, one being from someone who was at the scene quickly! Who knows...i wouldnt want to be in their shoes though - the SSO will be paying BIG money for this one!, i personally saw both deputies, both had numerous cuts and bruises, and both went to the hospital for numerous injuries. shame on you, for being such a jack a$$$$$$$$, John we are tired of you, your not fooling anyone heyyyy glintasssssssssssss

07-22-2006, 05:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH J GLINTASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SS NEEDS TO GROW UP, I HEAR HE IS FRIENDS WITH TOM LYONS

07-24-2006, 11:31 PM
glenatis and his little butt buddy needs to go!!!!!! We are all tired of them, He has it out for one person and he will do and say whatever!!! He needs a good old fashion a$$ kicking!!! and if someone can prove or give information to shows that this is him on this crap web site..I am sure someone will do it!!!

07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Lyons, Thomas C

8567 Lakeside Dr
ENGLEWOOD, FL 34223
941-475-0228

Is it any suprise to anybody that this piece of filth lives in the weed? He probably has a vacation home on Colonia ln...

07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm not saying the deputies did anything wrong. I wasn't there. I do have one question for everyone, old TL with the Trib as well. When is the last time anyone heard of someone getting their face pounded and zapped for a mistake, and then getting sued for it. I'm tired of hearing how the Coffins are going to sue and get lots of money. Why isn't anyone suggesting that the INJURED people might have a case? that guy went overboard, period. TL would be slamming a LEO for going overboard like that on someone. Hi, I'm TL, it shouldn't have happened but the cops did botch it ya know? Blah blah blah.

Oh, I botched. Go ahead and kick my butt. Put me in a ambulance and then sue me.

07-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I agree, However Glenatis is still a < edited out by Mod 24 > !!!!!Note from Mod 24: Please stick to issues instead of personal attacks. Thanks in advance.

08-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I HEARD THAT THE CAHRGES AGAINST HER HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

08-14-2006, 03:55 PM
SF didnt do anything wrong. UPDATE: Coffin lost his civil case against the MSO deputy.