PDA

View Full Version : Dep Cited for Pursuit

07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Sheriff's deputy receives citation
SYLVIA LIM
Herald Staff Writer

MANATEE - Troopers on Friday ticketed a Manatee County sheriff's deputy for running a red light after he crashed into a civilian's vehicle during a high-speed chase last month.

Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Doug Dodson said investigators felt that even in an emergency, a law enforcement official must take into consideration the safety of others.

"We have to be reasonably safe when we enter an intersection even with lights and sirens on," Dodson said.

Sheriff's Deputy Joseph M. Petta and his canine remained on duty after he received the ticket, said Sheriff's Maj. Chuck Hagaman. The sheriff's office has launched a simultaneous internal investigation into the crash.

The sheriff's office's Traffic Crash Review Board will meet on Aug. 2 to determine if Petta violated any policies, Hagaman said. The FHP citation will not affect the internal investigation.

"They are separate. It is required by law to be separate," Hagaman said.

According to the sheriff's office policies, a deputy in a marked vehicle "shall not enter a controlled intersection against the directed flow of traffic at a speed greater than 15 mph, and the driver shall be sure that the cross-traffic flow has yielded in each lane before attempting to cross that lane."

During a chase, the policy spells out that "if the suspect accelerates and begins to operate in a more dangerous manner, the deputy shall terminate the pursuit."

On the evening of June 29, Petta chased a homeless man driving a stolen van down U.S. 41, heading south, according to the FHP and the sheriff's office.

The suspect in the van cleared the traffic light at the intersection of General Spaatz Boulevard and U.S. 41, near New College, according to an FHP report.

Petta, behind the stolen van, approached the intersection just as the light turned red for traffic on U.S. 41 and green for General Spaatz Boulevard, the report stated.

Leo S. Demski, 63, drove into the intersection from General Spaatz Boulevard, according to the report. Petta, with his emergency lights and siren on, drove in its path.

Demski, a marine biology professor at New College who had just finished teaching a course that evening, said he didn't see or hear anything before the crash.

Demski's vehicle hit the side of Petta's marked sport-utility vehicle, causing it to spin and overturn, the report stated. As the SUV flipped over, it hit a tree and continued to slide and slammed into a light pole.

"I looked out on the left side and saw the police SUV," Demski said. "I watched it, it seemed it took forever for it to spin around."

Both Demski and Petta suffered minor injuries from the crash and were taken to local hospitals, according to the FHP. The police dog was taken to a vet.

Petta was placed in sick leave after the crash, the sheriff's office said.

"The deputy and the dog were slightly injured, but both recovered and are back to duty," Hagaman said.

Three weeks later, after speaking to Demski and other witnesses, the FHP concluded that Petta ran the red light and cited him for it.

The citation carries a $118.50 fine, said FHP spokesman Lt. Doug Dodson.

Though he said the county compensated him fairly for his totaled vehicle and other items, Demski said he may consider filing a lawsuit if the crash results in further health issues for him.

A short time after the accident, officers arrested the driver of the van, Ronald L. Pendergrass, 54, in Sarasota County. He was charged with grand theft auto, fleeing to elude and possession of drug paraphernalia.

07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
It's not a PCSO problem, so why post it here? From reading the post, it sounds like they have a weak pursuit policy anyways, so as soon as it ran he should have shut it down.

07-18-2006, 03:47 PM
That's nice, let's cite a deputy for doing his job trying to catch a felon. Now the person he hit says he might sue if his medical conditions get worse. Give me a break, now that the FHP gave the deputy a ticket, it says he's at fault, and now you can bet your ass the guy is going to sue the pants off the county, and possibly the deputy. Thank you FHP for once again sticking it to one of your own, great job.

07-18-2006, 09:52 PM
If the county is smart they will have the deputy take the ticket to court. Under state statute all other vehicles are to yield to emergency vehicles that are utilizing proper emergency equipment. Obviously this citizen did not yield to the emergency vehicle.

07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Well here is a shoker. Yes FHP can cite other officers. You need to use your head and not out run your equipment. The comments here basicaly show how unrealistic members of PCSO regarding there pursuit policy. I give you my word if you hit one of my family members in a pursuit, I would sue the living crap out of the big green monster.

Just a thought; just because you drive a green and white and a snappy uniform YOU are responseabile for your OWN actions.

07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
go to hell morooooooooon!!!!!!!. next time u need a back up.. go to hell.

07-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh for christ's sake. If I agree with your opinion or not, next time you need a backup I'll do my best to be there.

Chaps my ass when idiots throw out the "next time you need a backup" crap. I don't care if you like the guy or his views or not, do your job and shut the phuck up.

07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah if the Dep. was 10-18. The Trooper should have written no ticket and listed the deputy as vehicle two. The Deputy failed to clear the intersection. However the other driver failed to yield. I say they cross each other out no situation blue form and then 10-8. The Dep.. Supervisor should have written the other vehicle if the Trooper. Didn't want to. GREAT JOB FHP. ALSO THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH DOUBLE JEPORDY. SINCE HE FACES A CRASH REVIEW BOARD AS WELL AS POSSIBLE SUSPENSION. FHP THE AGENCY WITH THE KNIFE TYRING TO CUT THE THIN BLUE LINE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.

07-21-2006, 11:13 PM
double jeopardy only applies to being tried twice in the SAME COURT for the same offense.

07-24-2006, 02:42 AM
Thats why we dont let FHP invesigate our Sg4's. Also, I agree that it sounds like Manatee has a week pursuit policy. I bet they cant PIT, which might have avoided that situation all together. Glad I work here and not there.

07-29-2006, 12:54 PM
If I am on duty, in my jurisdiction, I will not accept or stop for a ticket. Maybe policy was violated and so be it but no civil infraction was committed under "Sovereign Immunity"

08-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Just to let you guys know, FHP (Tallahassee) was the ones that control and write policy. Our own guys get tickets if they are found to be the ones at fault. I dont like it, none of us like it. Thats why we dont like to work SO or City crashes. It puts us on the spot, do our job or get in trouble. I dont write cops from anywhere, but you know as well as I do there are exceptions to the rules. If you get called to a domestic involving a Trooper and his wife and you ignore the at fault person, you know whos going to get bit in the A**, you. You guys be careful out there, I'm doing my best to watch your backs.

08-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Like it ro not you are liable for your driving at work. Just cuz you got lights and sirens on does not mean you can drive like a maniac. If you blast through an intersection without using due caution, AS THE STATUTE SAYS, youre liable. Technically there's nothing in statute preventing any officer from writing another officer a ticket, in fact the agency i came from did just that. It sucked to write the ticket. But dont think fro one second that youre saved because youre working or running 10-18, thats just ignorant.

08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
The press, as usual, misstated our pursuit policy. The part they referred to about if the vehicle starts to drive in a reckless manner or accelerates is in reference to our DUI pursuit policy and not a fleeing felon pursuit.

The whole ticket thing has really gotten the pot all stirred up down here.

I think he is still fighting the ticket and he did not buy any time off for the crash.

08-15-2006, 09:14 PM
The press, as usual, misstated our pursuit policy. The part they referred to about if the vehicle starts to drive in a reckless manner or accelerates is in reference to our DUI pursuit policy and not a fleeing felon pursuit.

The whole ticket thing has really gotten the pot all stirred up down here.

I think he is still fighting the ticket and he did not buy any time off for the crash.

Dirty Harry
08-21-2006, 01:37 AM
This is not a Pinellas County issue, but if Deputies did crash reports it could have been handled accordingly.

10-02-2006, 04:02 AM
FHP should be asked to leave the county areas and each county should get the funding from the state to handle thier crashes. Pleaes dont let FHP handle my sig4.........tk-u