View Full Version : Traffic Sergeant Vacancy

Lieutenant X
07-14-2006, 06:39 PM
SARASOTA COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
MEMORANDUM

To: All Law Enforcement Sergeants
Subj: Traffic Sergeant Vacancy
Date: July 14, 2006

Any Law Enforcement Sergeant interested in a Traffic Sergeant position should submit a letter of interest and qualifications through their chain of command to Captain S. Burns. Requests for consideration should be submitted no later than August 4, 2006.

Supervisors/Administrative Assistants are required to post this memo on all bulletin boards in your bureau to ensure all personnel are notified.

Cc: Chief Dunklee
Major Forbis
All bulletin boards

07-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Hummmmmmmm wonder whose going to get this position? ;)

07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummmmmmmm wonder whose going to get this position? ;)Remember -- if we close our eyes, then people can't see us, right??? :lol: :roll:

07-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Who is leaving? Or they adding a second SGT

07-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Herlahey is retiring at the end of this year, so I guess they want to get someone in their early so the outgoing sergeant can mentor the incoming sergeant to "pass along" all his knowledge. I'm just guessing.

07-16-2006, 01:13 AM
He is actually leaving very soon, like within about a month. And for those who must be exact don't crucify me for being off by a week or two, its not a conspiracy.

07-16-2006, 11:09 AM
He is actually leaving very soon, like within about a month. And for those who must be exact don't crucify me for being off by a week or two, its not a conspiracy.Good for him. He made it. Since he'll be getting a 3% cola every year after he leaves, it will be almost like he never left. :lol: :shock:

You younger guys don't know it, but the private sector has basically eliminated the traditional retirement system, so employees are basically "on their own." Our gubba-ment retirement system is one of the last of its kind and it will eventually be scrapped because it's too expensive for the taxpayers. :shock:

07-16-2006, 03:05 PM
rh is going to get it i herd :D

07-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Good for him. He made it. Since he'll be getting a 3% cola every year after he leaves, it will be almost like he never left. :lol: :shock:

You younger guys don't know it, but the private sector has basically eliminated the traditional retirement system, so employees are basically "on their own." Our gubba-ment retirement system is one of the last of its kind and it will eventually be scrapped because it's too expensive for the taxpayers. :shock:Yep, Kenny Tuttle is really enjoying his 3% every year. It's a good deal. I hope all of you guys can make it someday. :)

07-16-2006, 06:40 PM
rh is going to get it i herd :DNope!!! It's a toss up between DS & CM. Who has the most seniority & qualifications???? ;) Who has the most political juice? Doh!!! :shock:

07-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Good for him. He made it. Since he'll be getting a 3% cola every year after he leaves, it will be almost like he never left. :lol: :shock:

You younger guys don't know it, but the private sector has basically eliminated the traditional retirement system, so employees are basically "on their own." Our gubba-ment retirement system is one of the last of its kind and it will eventually be scrapped because it's too expensive for the taxpayers. :shock: You painted a rose colored picture -- and don't get me wrong -- I'm glad JH made it to retirement because that's wonderful for everyone who makes it that far (trust me) -- but the "issues" go a little bit deeper then what you just posted. Out of respect for JH, I won't go into it. Congradulations JH on making it. :)

JH will be outta here in less than 30 days, so they better hustle in whoever they're going to select. LD wants to stick DS into that position, but he's only been a sergeant for six months, so that ain't right. :? Otherwise, DS is a great guy.

07-20-2006, 11:44 PM
JH spent alot of years in traffic and made the SSO look good doing so. Our traffic unit is respected around the state with everything they have done including DUI operations. I hear they are hosting the 3rd Operation Gotcha next month. Do you know anyone else that has organized such a event ? For those of you that dont know he organizes all Law Enforcement in the state to partisipate on one night. He collects the stats and reports back to each agency. Do you think we even have any Lt,s Capt, or Majors that are capeable of this. Dont think so. JH if you think about it has the proper leadership skills and knowledge to pass by most of the staff. He is not a PHD and is probally why he has stayed in his present rank. I have known him for many years and can say with confidence that when each staff member, or basically anyone sgt and above was a deputy JH was a CPL. This make him senior supervisor in the SSO. Hey CF,LD and most of the rest what have you done in all your years to earn what you have? Just keep holding on to the coattails, but rememer keep those eyes closed.
Hey JH good luck in the retirement you did one hell of a job here, too bad the sheriff didnt see it. ooo and by the way did they even try to talk you out of leaving? Or did they just hold the door open? :lol:
GOODLUCK

07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
JH spent alot of years in traffic and made the SSO look good doing so. Our traffic unit is respected around the state with everything they have done including DUI operations. I hear they are hosting the 3rd Operation Gotcha next month. Do you know anyone else that has organized such a event ? For those of you that dont know he organizes all Law Enforcement in the state to partisipate on one night. He collects the stats and reports back to each agency. Do you think we even have any Lt,s Capt, or Majors that are capeable of this. Dont think so. JH if you think about it has the proper leadership skills and knowledge to pass by most of the staff. He is not a PHD and is probally why he has stayed in his present rank. I have known him for many years and can say with confidence that when each staff member, or basically anyone sgt and above was a deputy JH was a CPL. This make him senior supervisor in the SSO. Hey CF,LD and most of the rest what have you done in all your years to earn what you have? Just keep holding on to the coattails, but rememer keep those eyes closed.That's exactly the way I see it too. Sad Sad Sad.

07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
JH is one of most dedicated and able deputies to ever work at the Sheriff's Office. I worked with John from the beginning. He has lived and breathed for the SSO and can leave very proud of his reputation. The earlier letter writer is right on the money. It's guys like John that made me look good and made my job easy. I can't thank him enough for all of the hard work he did for me. He is a proven leader, capable of anything, and he is the best example of why some people should get promoted regardless of college because they just plain have what it takes. You are right, with his abilities, he could run circles around the entire Staff (including me at the time).
Its amazing when you look at what John accomplished with the Traffic Unit. No offense to some of the old timer Traffic Sgt's like Groshans, but it was John who put it on the map and made it the best performing and nicely equipped unit in the area. All you had to do is go to a check point and see the respect that all of the other agencies had for John.
Not only that, he was a great asset to the SWAT Team, phenominal detective, and awesome street cop.
I wish I had spent more time hanging out with you, John because you are a class act and a loyal friend. You and I will share a cold one some day and talk about the good old days (like Sebring...HAH!).
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy every minute of your retirement. You are DA MAN!

Kevin Gooding

07-21-2006, 03:33 PM
If anyone deserves traffic Sergeant its Chip Miller! He is the man for the job! Nothing against DS, except his big head but Chip is perfect for it.

07-21-2006, 04:18 PM
If anyone deserves traffic Sergeant its Chip Miller! He is the man for the job! Nothing against DS, except his big head but Chip is perfect for it.Chip Miller deserves the job -- absolutely. He has dozens of qualifications and years of experience. He is also a "drug recoginition expert" (recoginized by our courts) and that's pretty damn hard to get!!!! Bill Balkwill and Larry Dunklee have held Chip down for political reasons because he held a campaign for somebody else, so they are continuing to punish him. It's political retaliation. It's almost as if Dunklee and Balkwill believe that the entire department doesn't recoginize this stuff --- but we do. Stop punishing people for political reasons. Another election is already coming up and all you're doing is pissing off people with these "obvious" games of yours. :roll:

Stop the madness!!!!

07-22-2006, 01:01 AM
I want to express my thanks to whoever ghost is, and especially one of my heros, KG. Kevin, tks for the kind comments. Im actually surprised when I first heard about the opening being posted here. I figured it was time to get slammed. You were right also about Groshans, and not to forget Kenny Tuttle. Those 2 guys were in traffic as our pretty boys, and then came the mean ole crusty guys as a true traffic unit should be. I have been through cib, sib, intel, patrol and traffic and I must say, traffic was my baby. I enjoyed working under you, Kevin, and learned alot from you also. I remember when comm policing was strong. You made or suggested I go to a class in orlando, pertaining to traffic and community policing as a team. I faught ya, but gave in to prove they could not be combined. You just cant solve peoples problems and hand them a hefty ticket, oo yea, and smile as your doing it. The best memory of the class was... and I know your smiling now.... is when I kicked the crap out of one of your prize swat boys.... hahahaha remember? Im sure he does. But all that aside, you have been a great friend and supervisor to me, especially when I first found out about the cancer. You and Karen were there for me and Betsy, and thats something I will never forget. I will save some of the other stuff until Sept 6th concludes, which will be my last day at the SSO.
Dont forget to send me the email to jherlihy@scgov.net because I would like to stay in touch. And please dont kid Mcelyea to much about the ass whippin he got. We wouldnt want the team to kid him about a ole man takin him down. :D man... I didnt mean to say that out loud ....... stay safe
John

07-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I remember when comm policing was strong. You made or suggested I go to a class in orlando, pertaining to traffic and community policing as a team. I faught ya, but gave in to prove they could not be combined. You just cant solve peoples problems and hand them a hefty ticket, oo yea, and smile as your doing it. I can smile as I'm handing them a hefty traffic ticket. :snicker:

07-24-2006, 03:46 AM
McElyea took a beating from JH?? Thats powerful.

07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
rh is going to get it i herd ??

who is rh?

07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I think its a typo for Roger Jernigan because he's already in special operations in charge of aviation and marine patrol. Adding traffic would just be one additional daytime duty and then they could make a night sergeant to run the DUI squad.

07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
rj is not going to have any more loaded onto him.

07-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey JH congrats....you sure deserve it and all the best to you. You have done alot to make this place a good one to work and guys like you are a dying breed. Stay healthy and enjoy the time not only will we miss you but im sure agencies around here and how you worked and helped them. You have been and are the MAN. :lol:

07-29-2006, 01:12 AM
[quote="Go Chip":zmg1jyge]If anyone deserves traffic Sergeant its Chip Miller! He is the man for the job! Nothing against DS, except his big head but Chip is perfect for it.Chip Miller deserves the job -- absolutely. He has dozens of qualifications and years of experience. He is also a "drug recoginition expert" (recoginized by our courts) and that's pretty damn hard to get!!!! Bill Balkwill and Larry Dunklee have held Chip down for political reasons because he held a campaign for somebody else, so they are continuing to punish him. It's political retaliation. It's almost as if Dunklee and Balkwill believe that the entire department doesn't recoginize this stuff --- but we do. Stop punishing people for political reasons. Another election is already coming up and all you're doing is pissing off people with these "obvious" games of yours. :roll: [/quote:zmg1jyge]The entire department is watching this issue because its been ongoing for a long time now. If the goddam political apointees realized that every time they punish someone (for all the wrong reasons), then they are just shooting themselves in the feet because they are making lifelong enemies who will do everything in their power to politically snuff them out. If those idiots think that people won't fight back, then they are,,, uhmmmm,,, idiots.

08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
GOOD LUCK JOHN. WORKING TRAFFIC AND SUPERVISING TRAFFIC IS A P.IA. NOBODY IS EVER HAPPY, BUT YOU HAVE ROLLED WITH THE PUNCHES. BE SAFE.

08-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Thank God he's leaving - it's time. He may be good at what he does, but what a negative, sarcastic and miserable human being. Yeah he's had a tough life, but haven't most of us in one way or another? That "tough guy" image has gotten so old. Maybe in retirement he'll find peace and treat others (outside of his favorites) the way he would like to be treated, with a little kindness. Good riddance. Hopefully on the outside people will treat him with at least a little bit of compassion - more than he shows most people.

He is actually leaving very soon, like within about a month. And for those who must be exact don't crucify me for being off by a week or two, its not a conspiracy.

08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Thank God he's leaving - it's time. He may be good at what he does, but what a negative, sarcastic and miserable human being. Yeah he's had a tough life, but haven't most of us in one way or another? That "tough guy" image has gotten so old. Maybe in retirement he'll find peace and treat others (outside of his favorites) the way he would like to be treated, with a little kindness. Good riddance. Hopefully on the outside people will treat him with at least a little bit of compassion - more than he shows most people.

He is actually leaving very soon, like within about a month. And for those who must be exact don't crucify me for being off by a week or two, its not a conspiracy.The guy is old and tired -- can't you let him go in dignity? Why the smart arse remark? :roll: Give the guy his gold watch, a pat on the back, a friendly smile and some warm words -- and let him enjoy his retirement. But to get one last dig in is just.... uhhhhh.... disrespectful. :roll: If you make it to retirement, it will be a very big deal... a very big event in your life... and the last thing you need is for some smartalek to give you one last jab. Be nice. "Let it go." :)

08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
This is the only topic I know of on this site worth posting!

I don't care who you get to replace Herlihy, they will never be able to fill his shoes. Any applicant who feels otherwise would certainly prove me right! It's a great loss to not only Sarasota, but to all the agencies in the state that he built relationships with. The time and energy he put into every project he managed was evident. No matter how small the event, everything was planned out to the smallest detail so his guys knew what they needed to do. All of the guys on his squad respect and trust him, and know they can come directly to him with any problem they have. Each one of them would gladly tell you a story of how he has helped them out of a bind more than once. He takes care of his squad and never threw one under the bus for his own benefit. It's rare that you find a supervisor that always takes credit for the bad things along with the good.

If you can find anything bad to say about John Herlihy then you didn't know anything about him. And if he offended you in some way, then you must have deserved it! Herlihy doesn't pretend to be anthing that he is not, you will always know where he stands. I respect him for that and will always be his friend!

Boss, I wish you all the happiness in the world! Have fun in your retirement and spend time with the people you love!

To his replacement: The stats, the paperwork, the politics mean nothing - treat your people like people and they'll do anything for you!

Kendra Goebel

08-09-2006, 08:23 PM

I would like to say I have known John for over 10 years. You might think he has a bad attitude and he treats people horribley, but you dont know him. You can ask any deputy in this traffic unit and we will defend him to the end, as he would do for us. If he isnt a smart ass to you he doesnt like you. I can say it has been an honor working for him. John has been through some rough times, but through everything he will still give you the shirt off his back if you need it. He is the best Sgt have worked for in this agency. John have a good retirement, you can not be replaced, and you will be greatly missed.:)

08-10-2006, 08:58 PM
This is the only topic I know of on this site worth posting!

I don't care who you get to replace Herlihy, they will never be able to fill his shoes. Any applicant who feels otherwise would certainly prove me right! It's a great loss to not only Sarasota, but to all the agencies in the state that he built relationships with. The time and energy he put into every project he managed was evident. No matter how small the event, everything was planned out to the smallest detail so his guys knew what they needed to do. All of the guys on his squad respect and trust him, and know they can come directly to him with any problem they have. Each one of them would gladly tell you a story of how he has helped them out of a bind more than once. He takes care of his squad and never threw one under the bus for his own benefit. It's rare that you find a supervisor that always takes credit for the bad things along with the good.

If you can find anything bad to say about John Herlihy then you didn't know anything about him. And if he offended you in some way, then you must have deserved it! Herlihy doesn't pretend to be anthing that he is not, you will always know where he stands. I respect him for that and will always be his friend!

Boss, I wish you all the happiness in the world! Have fun in your retirement and spend time with the people you love!

To his replacement: The stats, the paperwork, the politics mean nothing - treat your people like people and they'll do anything for you!

Kendra Goebel

That's pretty cold telling possible candidates for the job that they will never be able to fill a predecessor's shoes. Great way of building up confidence for the new guy or gal. You obviously want something from Herlihy in the long run (good job reference, promotion or just recognition as his "pal") to post your own name). They always say there are a lot of kiss-asses in this agency.

08-10-2006, 09:11 PM
That's pretty cold telling possible candidates for the job that they will never be able to fill a predecessor's shoes. Great way of building up confidence for the new guy or gal. You obviously want something from Herlihy in the long run (good job reference, promotion or just recognition as his "pal") to post your own name). They always say there are a lot of kiss-asses in this agency.Ohhhh lighten up chief. I believe Kendra has long since quit the SSO -- so she has nothing to gain by giving JH a nice compelement. :)

I'm sure that whoever gets the job as traffic sergeant will do an excellent job. :)

08-11-2006, 12:31 AM
What a loss the SSO will realize on Sept 6th when the Sgt retires. He might seem grumpy and sarcastic to some people but if you knew him really well you would know better!!! He is the most honest, caring, compassionate and good hearted person. He would give the shirt off his back to someone in need. I have watched him and seen it for myself. Many times he has helped people without wanting them to even know he did or would give huge tips to waiters or waitresses just to make them smile. He always says they work hard and have families too!!!! Just because his sense of humor is not understood by all doesn't mean he isn't listening to the needs of people around him and willing to lend a hand.

I am sure the talk on here is just a few unhappy people!!!! Why not realize this man gave 25 years of his life to this agency and really did it proud. He managed to get lots of drunk drivers off the road and teach many people in his unit and anyone who would listen from other agencies how to make a checkpoint work!!! Commend him for his work ethic and the respect he has gotten from surrounding agencies and even ones out of the area that call him for his assistance. They know he did it right and ask for his help. So really don't you think he deserves an applause for putting up with an agency that didn't even realize the gem they had in Sgt John Herlihy!!!! What a man !!! You would be lucky to have him as a friend, I know many aggree with me especially his GUYS!!! Make him happy and wish him well and THANK HIM because he deserves it!!! Good luck to you John Herlihy!!!! Many many many happy retirement years ahead are wished for you!!! :lol:

08-11-2006, 02:02 AM
John, I would like to say that you are the best supervisor I have ever worked for. I can't say it any better than the lovely Kendra has already said it. Sarge, you are like a father to me. You have been there for me when I have had personal issues to deal with giving me great advice because you had been in my shoes before. Every time I read that supervisor book, I think of you. It's almost as if they have written it to model your way of doing it. I am serious when I say that I love you like a father. You are a great man and leader. I want you to enjoy your retirement and know that you have left behind a great legacy that will last longer than any silly Jeff Hessoun or Gerhardt story could. You are a cops cop and a great friend to a hell of a lot of people. Who ever takes over the unit will do a fine job and I'm sure you know that. Both of them worked for you for many years. If it wasn't for your excellent supervisory skills, you would not have had so many great guys get promoted from your unit. I love you like a father and a great friend. Have fun on the Harley, Motor 1.

08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Happy retirment John! It is great and you will enjoy it plus you get the 3% cola each year from the state! JE/ now 5 yrs gone and forgotten

08-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Tks for all the nice and not so nice comments here. About the only thing I have to take exception to was the comments about being a father figure!!!! And I think I know who you are.
About being mean, sarcastic and whatever else I have lived with that for my whole career and its my personality. I am by no means appoligizing for anything its me, and more so how you take me. If for some reason I pissed you off, I really dont care I have enough friends and you wont be missed, whoever you might be. Maybe you wernt breastfed enough as a baby, who knows and really cares. We were all hired here to do a job to the best of our abilities and some can handle it and so many cant. im sure over 25 years I have rubbed a few people the wrong way and theres not much that can be done. I agree im getting old and tired, crusty, mean and nasty but we all move on. I have given my life to this job and have very few regrets, which include not spending quality time with family. We all put the job first , at least most of us do. Its the new generation, "ME GENERATION" thats here to stir the pot. No im not here to say "this is how we did it in my day" because so many of you were still in diapers or a fish lookin for a egg.
We all have had our crosses to bare and some more than others. The peolpe that have worked for me know what im about and its amazing the only way they leave is if they get promoted. The present and past traffic people have been my family and close friends. When I got out of the hospital 4 1/2 years ago they all came to the house and when I looked out the window and saw all the cars lined up, yes this old mean and nasty guy shed a tear.
Whoever it may be that takes my postion will not have any problems because they will have a dedicated unit to work with.
So many of you complain about traffic and the job they do. Many months ago I :idea: challenged any of you to come work for even one day in their shoes and tell me they dont do anything. Try riding a motorcycle in 90 degrees or higher and then stand there roasting at a crash or even a school crossing. Yes they choose to do the job and so did you. You just didnt choose to do it in traffic. Like all speciality jobs within the department its good for some but not for all. so do the best you can in the job you have and let everyone else do theirs.
Can you tell I have been off 5 days practicing for the golden years so ill stop here.
My last bit of advice here......Set your goals, stay out of the politics, keep it in your pants, remember your training and stay safe. Im sure everyone has someone waiting at home for you that cares.

SERGEANT CRUSTY

And please everyone say a prayer for the BPD SGT and his family. He is a great guy and will be missed.

08-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I didnt know Sgt Herlihy very well but his guys talk highly of him. He has been a longtime legend and will be missed.

08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
There are many rumors about JH next job???????? Somewhere in the south? Could this be true?

08-13-2006, 06:10 PM
There are many rumors about JH next job???????? Somewhere in the south? Could this be true?Like NPPD??? How many people will follow him under the wings of TL? :lol: ;)

08-13-2006, 08:21 PM
JOHN WE WILL MISS YOU, YOU ARE THE BEST SGT I HAVE WORKED FOR. YOU ARE A SUPERVISOR, BUT FOREMOST YOU ARE A FRIEND TO EVERYONE IN THE TRF UNIT. WE WILL DEFEND YOU TO THE END AND YOU DID THE SAME FOR US. WE HAVE ALL STRIVED TO MAKE YOU PROUD OF US. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SAID THAT THE DEPUTY'S ON THE SQUAD AND QUALITY OF WORK IS A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOUR SUPERVISION! NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS ABOUT THE TRAFFIC UNIT, YOU HAVE DONE A HELL OF JOB. THIS TRF UNIT IS VERY MUCH A FAMILY, WE WOULD ALL DROP ANYTHING AT DROP OF HAT TO HELP EACH OTHER, AND WE HAVE YOU TO THANK FOR THAT. WE ALL KNOW YOU TRY ACT LIKE A MEAN, CRUSTY SGT, BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT UNDER THAT ACT LIES THE MOST CARING FRIEND, WHO HAS A HEART OF GOLD! DL WILL HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO TO FILL YOUR SHOE'S, BUT HE HAS ALL OF HIS BROTHERS IN THE TRAFFIC UNIT TO HELP HIM. YOU WILL BE MISSED MORE THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLE KNOW, IM GLAD I HAD THE OPPURTUNITY TO WORK YOU. YOU HAVE ALWAYS SAID FAMILY IS FIRST AND YOU HAVE CREATED A FAMILY IN THIS TRF UNIT. YOU HAVE SOME THE BEST TRAINED DEPUTIES WORKING FOR. ANYONE LOOKING FROM THE OUTSIDE MIGHT THINK YOUR A HARD ASS, BUT WE KNOW BETTER. YOU EXPECTED NOTHING BUT THE BEST FROM US AND WE STRIVED TO MAKE YOU PROUD. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW ALL OF THE FATHERLY ADVICE YOU HAVE GIVEN US AND ALL THE TIMES YOU HAVE LISTENED WE NEEDED AN EAR TO BEND.

YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE 7161 AND MOTOR 1!

08-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Congrats John. Randy Bryant here. Feels good to make to retirement. I have been out of the US for awhile working in the middle east. Let us know when your retirement bash is. Take care brother.

08-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Apparently you don't know Kendra......she doesn't work for the SSO any longer and she is doing great outside the agency. Get your facts before you post.

08-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Sgt JH only has a few weeks left...

08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
HAS THERE BEEN A PARTY SETUP YET?

08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
HAS THERE BEEN A PARTY SETUP YET?I'll go. :)

08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Hopefully the negative bashing is done why dont you all say goodbye to someone that has made it to the end. He is actually a pretty good egg and a top notch leader. Lets try something different here and say goodbye and wish him well. If there is something of special interest that we can laugh about lets send him into retirement with a smile.
JH weather you liked him or not made alot of contributions to the agency, county and state as a whole. The man has been through alot in the recent years and made it to the end. I for one will miss him, crusty or not.
Good luck in the retirement years, or your next venture whatever it may be.

08-17-2006, 05:44 PM
JH, you are the bomb baby! Oh by the, I was told by a fellow unit member to say "happy birthday!" I don't know why, because I know its not ur bday! 220 you have made my time in traffic very memorable and enjoyable. I have learned a heck of a lot from you. Once again, you are THE BOMB!!!

08-18-2006, 01:11 PM
My .02 is that they chose the wrong person to take JH's place. Doesnt matter what i say and nothing against the person they chose but that is because he is upstairs sucking up quite often. There was a better choice for the unit.

To JH - didnt agree with everything you said or did but i will say that i never saw you slack when it came to traffic issues. (Betsy may say different but who cares). One thing i always liked about you would say it "how it is" no matter what. You cant find that anymore around here. I only knew a few people that would do that and could get away with it because they stood behind what they said (#72, #220, #188, #426, #69 and of course Caldwell!). Good luck to you in retirement and dont be one of these people that come back here because you are bored! Family is #1, time to be with family.

08-19-2006, 08:16 PM
CONGRATS SGT DS ON GETTING THE SPOT. SO LONG GRUMPY HERLIHY, YOUR PRESENCES WILL BE MISSED!

08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Us girls will surelly miss him. He is the nicest guy around. :lol:

08-24-2006, 08:25 PM
How many days JH? I wish I were in your shoes!!!!!!!

09-01-2006, 01:21 AM
cya jh good luck

09-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Good Luck John you deserve it. You have done a great job in traffic. When my department ran short on Sgt's several years ago I had to fill in as the acting Sgt in traffic for seven months. I'm not sure what I would have done if I did not have you there to answer all my questions.
You have also helped to make our two units build a great working relationship along with other agencies in the county.
I hope you enjoy your retirement. you deserve it!

B.J.

09-02-2006, 11:50 PM
I have the alot of admiration for JH. He has always been a open and honest guy. Those of you that didnt really know him thought the rough and "Crusty" exterior was all of him. That is the furthest from the truth. He has always been a very caring person for the years I knew him, once you looked past the tough exterior. I know the last few years have been pretty tough on him and he did tell me that he was leaving because of it. For those of you that knew him and his now X Betsy they were a good pair and everyone looked up to them. But he will rise again and move forward, im sure of it. If anyone knows the X she should be reminded what a big mistake she made leaving this guy, and yes im airing it here for all to see! Sorry JH but I think some things just need to be said. She will regret this decision everyday she wakes. Jh your a sweet guy and I will miss you but dont forget us. You have many friends in this fair city and one day she will take out the trash. I saw you earlier this evening on your harley cruising down Sumter, I was the one that honked at you????????????????????????????

09-03-2006, 12:29 AM
I envy the fact that JH made it 25 years! :shock: