PDA

View Full Version : Least affordable?

Thiers
07-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Nice article done by ABC 7. Sarasota ranks number 7 in the country as one of the least affordable places to live. That ranks this area behind areas like New York City, Washington DC, and San Francisco. Good reading, trust me.

Thiers

http://www.wwsb.com
"Sarasota one of least affordable places to live"
[/url]

07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
The news is just catching up to what we all already knew.....try raising a family and buying a home in Manatee Co.......it's almost unheard of.

07-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Good job Brian, let's get that to the PBA for ammo. Maybe it is time for us to get the wives and family together. Let's put some heat on City Hall. Phone calls, protests, ect. It is time to let the public and the City know we are serious. All of us need to rally together. Show a strong force and tell Carolyn, Wayne, and Carl it is time to finally pay the piper. Bradenton is no sleepy town, we have serious crime issues, pay issues, benefit issues, ect, let's get it out there.

07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
is it recomended to show up in uniform for the meetings even if it's your RDO?

Thiers
07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
It is recommended that you show up looking clean and professional. If we want to be treated like professionals and paid like professionals, we need to act like professionals. You do not need to wear a uniform, just do not wear anything sloppy. Next meeting is on the 24th.

Thiers[/quote]

07-19-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006 ... ddle%20man (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006/7/19/169661.html?title=Squeezing%20out%20the%20middle%2 0man)

According to www.Baynews9.com (http://www.Baynews9.com) on 7/19/06. The story in on the front page of the website towards the bottom.

Squeezing out the middle man
Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Many people can't afford to buy houses in Manatee County, so they're either renting or moving.
The median home price in Manatee County is among the highest in the state, thus the housing boom is even taking a toll on local residents with a moderate income.

"I would much rather prefer to be in a house," said Nicole Asmakis, who lives in an apartment with her two sons.

Asmakis says her only hope is a condo, but even that is unlikely, so she and her family are considering moving out of state.

"It's really upsetting because we were born and raised here, our whole family," said Asmakis. "We have generations born and raised here and we can't afford to live here anymore."

The average home price in Manatee County is more than $322,000, so someone would have to make more than $109,000 to get a loan for that amount.

"I don't see how any working person can afford to make those kind of payments," said apartment renter David Zill. "You know, especially if they have other payments they've got to make."

The only metro areas in Florida more expensive to live in than the Manatee-Sarasota area are Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Naples and West Palm Beach.

Duane Marsteller, a reporter for our partner, The Herald, who specializes in growth and development, says many people are relying on security in numbers.

"People who have one or two roommates now have five or six in order to be able to cover the rent," said Marsteller.

If residents can't make the rent, they can't live in Manatee or Sarasota counties, leaving critical job openings unfilled. The average rent in Manatee County is $1,095 per month.

Meanwhile, the Affordable Housing Coalition study shows the median home price in the Tampa Bay area is almost $202,000. Your annual household income would have to be more than $68,000 to obtain a mortgage for that amount.

07-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Just when you thought the city was going to do something good for us. Word is our insurance premiums are going up again. Thiers, can you comment on that?

07-20-2006, 01:18 AM
They are, it was approved in today's city council meeting. This city is out of control, they are going to either make it so expensive to use and have the insurance so we as employees have to drop it or find jobs else where. I think the media should start to investigate and I don't mean the Bradenton Herald. Hey just think when all of the public works employees find other jobs because 3 weeks salary goes to insurance maybe the citizens will wonder why their trash is not picked up. RAISE TAXES, TAKE CARE OF THE CITY EMPLOYEES IT IS TIME!!!!!!!!!

07-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah, they'll give you a raise to make 45k, but raise your insurance rates to where you make the same exact before you got the raise. They say because of the money and whatever else, but that's B.S. Don't take money away from us, the city employees, raise taxes a small percentage or get it from somewhere else. I don't think people are going to mind paying an extra $2 or however much a month. Just for grins, I don't know the exact population in the city, but suppose it's 100,000, that'd maybe be 25k famlies (family of four). So 25k people a month pay $2, that's $50,000. Multiply that by 12 months, that's $600,000 extra a year by everyone paying $2 more a year. I'm not very good at math so don't quote me, but that'd be a pretty good deal. Keep their employees happy and citizens happy. Make it balanced, right?