PDA

View Full Version : Agency Without a Soul

07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak in it's administrators, officers and clerical staff that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul :cry:

07-03-2006, 01:08 AM
The best posting I've read in a long, long time.

07-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I agree too!

07-03-2006, 02:48 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak in it's administrators, officers and clerical staff that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul :cry:

you can thank the people at central office - It wasnt this bad a few years ago.

07-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Too many people in ses that are in fear of losing their careers. Some who did not want any part of it (their positions were just converted and they were forced to sign a paper after the fact).

Mgmt. by intimidation is not the way to treat and repect people.

07-03-2006, 09:50 AM
JEB CAME TO POWER BELIEVING HE COULD STRIKE DOWN UNIONS AND CAREER SERVICE. HE SENT HIS SES MANAGEMENT PEOPLE OUT TO SELL IT TO THE RANK AND FILE. HISTORY WILL SHOW BUSH PROMOTED ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT MODERN DAY ADMINISTRATIONS AND INSTEAD OF SHOWING GOVERNMENT CAN FUNCTION BEST WITHOUT REPRESENTATION JEB PROVED THAT OUR FORE FATHERS/MOTHERS WERE RIGHT. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY.

07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I couldn't agree more with the original poster.

Not meaning to sound like "sour grapes", but this place has done nothing but gone downhill since the Bush administration got elected. This used to be a great, if not wonderful, place to work. There was a sense of comraderie, professionalism, and respect for one another. There was a sense of collegiality between management and labor. Those attitudes carried over to our dealings with the offener.

Since Bush got elected, everything changed. I mean - just look at all the negative postings. And, look at the numbers. When you look at the numbers of postings on this board compared with the others, we overwhelm them in the number of posts.

We can infer from reading the posts that we have no sense of comraderie, that we don't have much respect for each other or for management. Basically, it is an environment of mistrust in which all that matters is survival. When you create the kind of working conditions we work under, what do you expect.

I can't presume to speak for the average officer, but all I want to do is survive. I do just what I need to do to do that - and, having to direct all of my energy towards that end, nothing is left to do extra, or to do anything positive.

The damage has been done and nothing will change until change at the top happens. And even if positive change does happen there, it will take years for changes to occur downline. It took 8 or 9 years for the current administration to bring us to this point, and, barring a miracle, will take just about as long to make things better.

And, just for the record - don't expect that to happen.

07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately, our agency has been mean and nasty and yes even "without a soul" long before Jeb. This pervasive mean spiritedness is bigger and deeper than any one man, administration or party. Under Walkin Laughton, we had Singletary and what about Charlie W. Again, I don't know what the answer is, but to point a finger at any single entity for the awful treatment of our coworkers towards eachother, deminishes and minimizes the pervasive problem. The demonization of any one, means that we have to ignore our own parts in the harsh way we treat eachother. If we do that, this agency may never regain whatever soul it may have had in the beginning. We are all responsible for the way we treat eachother. :idea:

07-03-2006, 03:20 PM
do what i am doing leaving for a sheriff office more money better job and real pro's :wink:

mystikwarrior
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two.
There's the attitude right there. "Dealing with criminals". You're part of the problem.
I'll easily concede that there are plenty of folks in prison that really need to be there. Ditto probation. All have been convicted of crimes therefore are 'criminals'. But you use that term in a rather inhumane and derogatory way, as if you are somehow 'better' than they are. Let me wake you up. You're not any better than they are. Except that you didn't get caught. I seriously doubt you can truthfully look back on your life and say that you never ever committed a 'crime'.
Is it any wonder that if you lack any compassion or understanding for your fellow man that eventually as a group you will turn on each other?

We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls.
See above. That's how most of you treat the inmates and probationers, so it's no surprise that you would treat each other that way.
Don't take it personally. I'm speaking of DOC as a whole, not any one individual here. I know PO's who demand they be treated with deference and respect by their cases and then turn right around and treat those cases like a worthless mangy dog.
Respect is earned. Nobody has a 'right' to it, badge or no badge. DOC needs to regain its respect and it can start by showing a little of its own. For the inmates, the probationers and the staff.

Of course it won't happen if you take that attitude.

07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
[quote]I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two.
There's the attitude right there. "Dealing with criminals". You're part of the problem.
I'll easily concede that there are plenty of folks in prison that really need to be there. Ditto probation. All have been convicted of crimes therefore are 'criminals'. But you use that term in a rather inhumane and derogatory way, as if you are somehow 'better' than they are. Let me wake you up. You're not any better than they are. Except that you didn't get caught. I seriously doubt you can truthfully look back on your life and say that you never ever committed a 'crime'.
Is it any wonder that if you lack any compassion or understanding for your fellow man that eventually as a group you will turn on each other?

We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls.
See above. That's how most of you treat the inmates and probationers, so it's no surprise that you would treat each other that way.
Don't take it personally. I'm speaking of DOC as a whole, not any one individual here. I know PO's who demand they be treated with deference and respect by their cases and then turn right around and treat those cases like a worthless mangy dog.
Respect is earned. Nobody has a 'right' to it, badge or no badge. DOC needs to regain its respect and it can start by showing a little of its own. For the inmates, the probationers and the staff.

Of course it won't happen if you take that attitude.[/quote:nnzhp2ae]

The attitude started with "zero tolerance", so that throws your how you treat your cases out the door, unless you say the dept. having us violate cases for things we had discretion in the past. makes us stress and not like our co-workers as much. The real reason is post zero tolerance with all the extra time consuming requirements, you simply cant do your job by the book in 40 hours and are constantly threatened in so many words by your supervisors, because it is rolled down to them. The only way to really meet all requirements for an office nowadays would be if there was no turnover and every position was filled by certified staff, which is a pipe dream to 95% of the offices, so nothing will change in the near future unless the top people do it and I doubt they will.

07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Please, don't listen to mystikwarrior. He/she is just a self righteous fool that loves taking up space here with their rhetoric.

07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Thjis agency has been like this for the last 20 years that I've been associated with it. Once in a while there is a supervisor who tries to be human, but usually he/she gets the raw end of the stick as we usually do, and the attempt is made to bring him/her back in line. A strategic move can always be forced on him/her. Management by intimidation is the norm. Most of us have that lousy habit of eating and paying bills, so we have to do whatever it takes to survive. Isolationism works pretty well.

07-04-2006, 01:29 AM
I have worked for this agency for 20 years and the Bush adm. has been, bar none, the worst. Yes, we have gotten some raises, yes we have gotten them big gold badges. We got Mike Moore and "let me pontificate", Mike Wolf. Then, Dome and Dommer! Now, the Col. and Laura B./LIL' KIM (I mean lil' tina) I'll take the Harry K. PIDS process any day! I have never seen such an unstable, unorganized, corrupt organization in my life. My guess is w/ Laura B.'s "survey" CO found out what they new already knew, we're all f-up. JEEEEEB probably said get that Beatch otta here. This is my career and I care about all that work here. Don't like the dark side much though! Tends to be unproductive!

mystikwarrior
07-04-2006, 03:45 PM
The attitude started with "zero tolerance", so that throws your how you treat your cases out the door
Wrong. How you treat your cases has nothing to do with zero-tolerance. I'm not talking about how you act when they violate, I'm talking about how you act when they don't.
Do you call your cases a 'piece of dog$%(#' while at the same time demanding they call you 'Sir' or 'Mister'? Do you knock on their door when you do a field visit? Or do you beat on it like you want to break it down, all the while screaming 'DOC, OPEN THE FRIGGING DOOR NOW"?
That's what I thought.

07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
o stop you knew what you were getting into when you got hired here. :lol:

07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, mystikwarrior, if you would get off the internet and answer the door, then your PO wouldn't have to knock so hard. Who the f--- do you think you are to go around making general statements about how badly all PO's treat their cases. You don't know me, and probably personnaly know less than 5% of the entire roster of officers across the state. There are some that go towards both extremes, and probably some that hang out around the middle of the road. Then there are pathetic self-righteous pissants like you. Why don't you pull your head out of John Kerry's a** and formulate an origianl thought of your own? 8)

07-04-2006, 09:51 PM
The attitude started with "zero tolerance", so that throws your how you treat your cases out the door
Wrong. How you treat your cases has nothing to do with zero-tolerance. I'm not talking about how you act when they violate, I'm talking about how you act when they don't.
Do you call your cases a 'piece of dog$%(#' while at the same time demanding they call you 'Sir' or 'Mister'? Do you knock on their door when you do a field visit? Or do you beat on it like you want to break it down, all the while screaming 'DOC, OPEN THE FRIGGING DOOR NOW"?
That's what I thought.

I call my cases "sir" when they are many years older than me. I only beat hard on the door if they are a CC case, who will be violated if they dont answer, and that is if I get no response the first time. The only time I have said very loudly DOC open the door is on PCI's when the sex offender is obviously stalling and might be flushing drugs down the toilet or something. I don't ask my cases to call me mr. - I just dont want them calling me by my first name like we are buddies or something and people usually say mr. or ms. when just saying a last name -that is the probationer's choice, but most say Officer or Mr. on their own. It doesn't matter to me one way or another.

mystikwarrior
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, mystikwarrior, if you would get off the internet and answer the door, then your PO wouldn't have to knock so hard.
ROTFLMAO
Maybe if you got off the Internet you could do your job and not need people like me to convince the Legislature that you need to be paid more money.

Who the f--- do you think you are to go around making general statements about how badly all PO's treat their cases.
And who the F--- do you think you are that you can talk to me that way? The fact this general statement that was directed at a specific poster (not you by the way) bothers you so much tells me the allegations are a little too close to reality in your case. And your outburst on the subject clearly shows that you have a problem. Two words for you on that subject. 'Anger management'.

You don't know me, and probably personnaly know less than 5% of the entire roster of officers across the state.
Nor do you know me. As for knowing less than 5% you would be surprised at just how many I DO know, even though it's less than 5%. And for the record, not ONE of them that I know of has exhibited the behavior I described regarding knocking on doors. They're good POs. Of course they also don't do things like fly off with 'who the f---' like you do. 'Anger management' :D

Why don't you pull your head out of John Kerry's a** and formulate an origianl thought of your own?
John Kerry? Who's that? As for original thoughts, I think the record speaks for itself. I'm the one here looking for and throwing out ideas that could make DOC a better department. Maybe you're the one that needs to pull your head out of your own a** and quit spouting that same old BS post after post?

07-05-2006, 10:13 PM
READ THE THREAD

07-05-2006, 11:49 PM
True, mystikwarrior, I don't know you. But, the statements you made seemed to cover a broad stroke, and did not appear to be aimed at a particular individual. I try and speak only for myself, and let others defend themselves. I get out at every house and knock on the door, unless they are already outside. I act in a professional manner, and always have. Just because some people on here are people you don't know, doesn't mean that they are not a good Officer. But just for kicks, you are probably from one of the larger, more metropolitan area of the State, aren't you? Oh, and I watched Anger Management, does that count?

07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Sigh, mystik used to at least be a good troll, now . . . .

just remember mystik, report between the 1st and the 5th, . . .

mystikwarrior
07-06-2006, 01:39 AM
when the sex offender is obviously stalling and might be flushing drugs down the toilet or something.
Funny. I would think the drug offenders would flush drugs. Sex offenders would be stashing the 10 year-old in the closet :roll:

mystikwarrior
07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I act in a professional manner, and always have.
And I don't doubt that one bit. Seriously. If my comment was too broad then I apologize to the professional officers here.

But just for kicks, you are probably from one of the larger, more metropolitan area of the State, aren't you?
I hate large metro areas. Any city with more that 10 traffic lights is too big for me to live in :shock:

Oh, and I watched Anger Management, does that count?
I guess it will do :D

mystikwarrior
07-06-2006, 01:46 AM
just remember mystik, report between the 1st and the 5th, . . .
Heck, all my reports are due at the end of the month, not the beginning :lol:

Merlin
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I think the issue Mystic was trying to point out was in regards to 'attitude' including professional attire and so forth. I know plenty of PO's who look professional with all the ninja type clothes and the 'ready to kill' mentality. Is it appropriate for a professional Probation Officer to look like he's pulling his reserve duty in Iraq? Get a grip folks. Listen to what the public is saying about the wannabes. Listen to what other agencies are saying about how PO's mistreat not only offenders but victims as well.

07-07-2006, 01:25 AM
I think the issue Mystic was trying to point out was in regards to 'attitude' including professional attire and so forth. I know plenty of PO's who look professional with all the ninja type clothes and the 'ready to kill' mentality. Is it appropriate for a professional Probation Officer to look like he's pulling his reserve duty in Iraq? Get a grip folks. Listen to what the public is saying about the wannabes. Listen to what other agencies are saying about how PO's mistreat not only offenders but victims as well.

Florida should be proud of their PO's - in the other large states like California and New York the PO basically refuses to even talk with family members or victims many times of an offender on the phone let alone act nice. I would say Florida is one of the better states when it comes to PO's talking with victims and relatives etc. and addressing their issues.

07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat each other like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul.

The whole concept of LEO affairs supports the above posting! Particulary the whining morans that spend all their waking moments on posting filth about other on this website. If you feel too powerless to talk about people to their face, the people you write about have already won.

07-10-2006, 12:52 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat each other like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul.

The whole concept of LEO affairs supports the above posting! Particulary the whining morans that spend all their waking moments on posting filth about other on this website. If you feel too powerless to talk about people to their face, the people you write about have already won.

07-10-2006, 01:01 AM

:lol: You evidently have not confronted an Administrator or you would have already felt the wrath. Just look at how everyone would only say things anonymous to the paper about Crosby's
actions when he was there. Wake up - we live in the real world - there are major repurcussions for directly calling these bad administrators on what they are doing. People have seen what happened to the few that did confront them.

07-16-2006, 04:05 AM

I highlighted the particular portion for two reasons:

(A) The statement highlighted is a statement CENTRAL TO THE OFFENDER'S BELIEF SYSTEM. Offenders (incarcerated and at liberty) have adopted a lifestyle where violating the law is OK with them, but they have to cope with the stigmatization that comes with being a criminal. This statement is not true; it is a denial mechanism that allows criminals to be comfortable with their lack of law abiding values and their lifestyle. Why a Correctional Probation Officer would take a posture reinforcing this falsehood is something I really don't understand.

(B) If that statement actually applies to a Correctional Probation Officer, then I question that person's fitness to serve as a Correctional Probation Officer. If a Correctional Probation Officer can truly agree with this, then what kind of life are they leading? Are THEY doing things for which they "just haven't gotten caught"?

It is a pity and a shame that Messrs Crosby and Clark have given undue credibility to such a sentiment. They make the papers, but who DOESN'T make the papers are the many Correctional professionals who obey the law, work honestly, and PLACE VALUE ON THE FACT THAT THEY CAN SAY THAT THEY DO.

As for "respect": It is POLICY that Offenders be required to call their Officers Mr. This and Ms. That. Policy REQUIRES the offenders to address officers that way. There is a good reason for this; it is to help officers ensure a posture toward their offenders that is FRIENDLY, BUT UNFAMILIAR.

If officers can't treat their co-workers differently than the offenders, then they need to regain a healthy level of compartmentalization and boundaries. Fast.

07-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Don't treat your staff like offenders!

07-16-2006, 03:08 PM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two.

It's not 'what comes out of dealing with criminals' it's about how we treat our offenders/criminals. What are we willing to tolerate? Where's the healthy boundaries? Is it ok to let an inmate rape another inmate? Is it ok for a PO to call a probationer a scumbag? Probationers and inmates can still do their sentences without all the physical/sexual/verbal abuse.

06-30-2007, 05:04 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak in it's administrators, officers and clerical staff that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat each other like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul

06-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Good post

07-14-2007, 07:31 PM
However A probation officer is what I do for a living, it is not whom I am . I have a soul and I will not let anyone or anything change who I am . Keep trucking along and maybe we can make a difference in someones world.

07-15-2007, 02:44 PM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak in it's administrators, officers and clerical staff that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul

Let us not lose site of the original post. collectively we are all a bunch of scumbags that deserve the criticism. Maybe if we gain a soul we would have gotten a raise. Wake up and smell the coffee.............. If this doesn't apply to you then work on changing the hearts and minds of your co-workers!!!!

Just sign me fed up! :P

07-16-2007, 01:47 AM
This agency fosters a nastiness, mean spirited and ruthless streak in it's administrators, officers and clerical staff that is truely shocking. I wonder if it comes out of dealing with criminals or if it is just a culture of inhumanity sent from the top down, or maybe a combination of the two. The effect is a cruelty between employees and administration and vice versa that is as pervasive as it is heartless. We no longer treat eachother like human beings, but more like inanimate objects without souls. We should all think about our behaviors and decide if they are how we want to be seen by the world. This agency is truely a place without a collective soul

Let us not lose site of the original post. collectively we are all a bunch of scumbags that deserve the criticism. Maybe if we gain a soul we would have gotten a raise. Wake up and smell the coffee.............. If this doesn't apply to you then work on changing the hearts and minds of your co-workers!!!!

Just sign me fed up!

07-16-2007, 03:18 AM

07-21-2007, 01:07 AM

Wow..when I first read the above my whole body shuddered as the word and message are so true.

07-21-2007, 07:32 PM
The original post is the best I have ever seen on this site. It hones in and identifies the primary problem with the folks of DOC.

07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
For sure a great post.

07-25-2007, 04:56 AM

There has been absolutley no change since the Col. became secretary and seems to have gotten worse. At least with Crosby you knew what you are dealing with. With McDonough and Grant they give the talk but don't walk it. The curruption continues and is worse!

What is a Col. in the militray but a failed executive. Why Bush or Crist expected anything else is beyond the line staff compehension!

07-26-2007, 05:15 PM

There has been absolutley no change since the Col. became secretary and seems to have gotten worse. At least with Crosby you knew what you are dealing with. With McDonough and Grant they give the talk but don't walk it. The curruption continues and is worse!

What is a Col. in the militray but a failed executive. Why Bush or Crist expected anything else is beyond the line staff compehension!

07-27-2007, 03:57 PM

:twisted:

07-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow-reading the most recent postings of personal attacks just reinforces how obscene LEOaffairs has become. I have been on this earth 61 plus years and have never seen anything quite like it. But nevertheless perhaps we should all reflect on the original postings and ask ourselves, have we all become so cynical that we have lost our sense of compassion and yes our soul?

Lets keep the positive postings coming and hopefully we can eliminate the negativity! I only have one more year before my 30 and would like to see the Department return to the basics :!:

08-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Wow=this is so true

08-03-2007, 03:47 AM
So true

08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
8)

08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
8)

08-05-2007, 12:12 PM

08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
This is a poweful message :!:

08-08-2007, 02:04 AM

08-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Play nice girls and boys!

08-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Lets work together to change the negativity!

08-12-2007, 03:49 PM

08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
It takes the best in each of us to make it the best place for all of us .

08-13-2007, 02:18 AM

08-13-2007, 11:51 AM

08-13-2007, 11:14 PM

08-18-2007, 08:03 PM

09-19-2007, 12:32 AM

09-22-2007, 12:01 PM

Lets work together to change the negativity! :idea: