PDA

View Full Version : news

06-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Neighborhood worried about recent violence

SARASOTA - A Sarasota neighborhood is crying out for help after a 17-year-old girl is killed and a 49-year-old man is shot.

The two incidents were unrelated, but they happened only an hour and a half apart, and on the same street. Now, neighbors want to know what's happening on 24th Street.

Police say that in the past year they've had 354 incident reports for 24th Street, which averages out to about one incident a day, and police say most of them are traffic-related.

It’s certainly much more upsetting for those who live on that street.

Roshanda Conaway is the victim's friend. "I couldn't even go to sleep without thinking about it. It was very hard to think about."

A 17-year-old girl was stabbed to death outside a house Wednesday afternoon, and her accused killer is another 17-year-old girl that lives just across the street.

"It's peer pressure with the young people having nothing to do, and they will get into something," says friend April Glasco.

A couple of miles down the road, just an hour and a half earlier, deputies were called to a domestic disturbance at another house. They say 49-year-old William Carter came at them with a knife, so they shot him.

Police say the two incidents are not related and there's not a problem in the neighborhood.

"What it suggests is a coincidence that two serious incidents happen on the same day on the same street," says Jay Frank of the Sarasota Police Department.

However, people who live around there disagree.

"The root of the problem is that these people are poor, and they're in a city where people would rather ignore them," says neighbor Andre Sas. "I hope this will do something to let people know we need some help out here."

"It's just telling all of us we need to get ourselves together. We need to think about our young people," says April.

Police say they do feel as if they have strong presence in that area, and that overall crime is down. As for the 17-year-old girl who was stabbed, her friends say that the fight was over baby shoes and then escalated into more.

The teen girl accused of killing her is charged with second-degree murder, and is out on bond.

06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
i have a suggestion get a job. this area has many jobs for the youth. i have another idea there are many camps that are free and there are many programs the county has to offer. These children and youth can attend many day activities and programs. this community does not need to place any blame but on themself. the parents need to step up to the plate. if there are no parents playing an active role then someone in the family needs to. this is not the city or countys problem when it comes to finding thing for the youth to do. this is america there are lots of great and free/affordable things to do. when you have children it is your responsibility to raise them and provide for them. if we send many cops in the area to clean it up then the cops are picking on the area it is a no win situation. the problem is a cultural problem that will not be fixed over night.

07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I love how the problem is all the cities fault. Its not bad parenting or anything. Grown people cant just behave like civilized people without the cities handouts. I wonder why this crap doesnt happen in my neighborhood. My neighbors and I dont get govt handouts. The handouts are the problem. :roll:

07-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Boo Hoo ...dont like it? Move to Bradenton!