PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing

06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
On Friday, 6/23/06, the supervisors in C-11 were called to the Circuit office to "VOLUNTEER" to take their drug tests. They were told it was voluntary. Their names did not come up from CO. If they refused, the cloud of suspicion moved right over them. So here is my problem: 1) If you have have a random system in place, why are you looking for "volunteers". 2) Hypothetically speaking, you can volunteer today, and your number pop up tomorrow, and now you've been tested twice in a week. 3) This is a F*#!KING JOKE! The Corporal wants to show numbers to the media of how many people have been tested and are negative. They're all volunteers forced to take the test or be suspected for refusing, who are going to be clean, while those abusing drugs in the agency don't get caught. CO is scared SH*#TLESS of what they'll find, so they're trying to use these "VOLUNTEERS" as success stories.[/img]

06-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Since the prison side started this mess, how many of them are being drug tested? Not that we don't have those who probably use, but holy cow, steroid operations? C'mon. Hope he gets his "stats" from those who guard those who have done wrong.

06-27-2006, 01:17 AM
It is a joke we even allowed this testing in the first place. Makes us look silly and just feeds the press. Were was PBA when all this happened. They would be canned if they let a local agency get tested with no cause like this. What a joke.

GoDevil
06-27-2006, 10:37 AM
The employee drug testing program seems to be the DOC answer, to the media, for the steroids issue. The program is probably good, it is unfortunate that it has turned into a media, political issue. It seems that all the new programs are in answer to media questions. It appears that the media is guiding DOC policy making. To bad the chicken shit politicians and ass kissing PBA don't stand up and do what is right. GoDevil.

06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
This agency has been a "Drug Free" work place for years, so the drug testing policy is moot. I personally don't understand all the bellyho'in. I have never used illicit drugs and never will. Circuit can test me daily if they choose, particularily at 44.5 cent per mile. On the otherhand, I personally have known officers who have reported to work high on prescription medication, given to them by their doctors, and they slept in their offices until 5p. Both officers were a liability and earned a "free" living for the last couple of years of their careers.

06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
AND IT TOOK 10 YEARS, 10 YEARS TO FIRE ONE OF THEM.

07-01-2006, 01:50 PM
This agency has been a "Drug Free" work place for years, so the drug testing policy is moot. I personally don't understand all the bellyho'in. I have never used illicit drugs and never will. Circuit can test me daily if they choose, particularily at 44.5 cent per mile. On the otherhand, I personally have known officers who have reported to work high on prescription medication, given to them by their doctors, and they slept in their offices until 5p. Both officers were a liability and earned a "free" living for the last couple of years of their careers.

That is a different issue, but those same protections keep someone from being unjustly let go many times also. This whole testing policy is just stupid and a waste of time.

mystikwarrior
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
This whole testing policy is just stupid and a waste of time.
From the public's point of view there is nothing wrong with a policy that requires LEOs to prove their integrity. As DFF said, you've had a Drug-Free Workplace program in place for years. So what's the problem now?

07-01-2006, 07:01 PM
From the public's point of view there is nothing wrong with a policy that requires LEOs to prove their integrity. As DFF said, you've had a Drug-Free Workplace program in place for years. So what's the problem now?

Well let me know when the local agencies randomly test their officers without cause, after they are hired. This is nothing but a waste of time and just feeds the press to influence the public negatively not positively. They must have a bad problem or they wouldn't have to do this.....

07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't have a problem submitting any kind of specimin. However, I have only heard of the prison side being tested, and sups at the P & P level. Has anyone other than those been tested?

07-10-2006, 10:04 PM

:lol: I wish - I still have dial up.

07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I only know of one agency that randomly tests their staff and that is the sheriff's office.

07-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Selected this week , as a PO to get tested. So it is done on the P and P side too.

07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
They have certainly given everyone enough time to clean up, for those who need to, so what good does it do?

07-16-2006, 02:39 PM
if you volunteer for drug test, you are a moron. Why don't you give up all of your constitutional rights while you are at it!

07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't think they will ever test everyone. I think they have realized what a stupid idea this was, typical knee jerk reaction, have tested a few and are going to leave it at that. Can't wait until the Bushit is over!!!!!!

07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
You are so right. Looked good in a press release but it appears that it's history plus too much money to test everyone. They don't even want us testing our offenders that often.

07-30-2006, 11:33 PM
We had one guy tested in our office a couple of weeks ago. There supposed to be more coming next month. Haven't heard any positives.

07-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Must have been a sup. There shouldn't be any positives with all the time given those to clean up.

08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Don't be so sure of that. I'm sure there are employees who are using that don't think they will be tested. Another idea gone up in smoke!!!!!! (no pun intended).

08-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Between drug testing and all the other problems on this board, it appears that we have now reverted to the same sanctions that the offenders go through. When will it ever end? Test us already and get over it!

08-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Drug test me anytime. I like the drug testing policy. If there are users amongst us then lets expose them.

08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree, however, DOC has gotten themselves in another fine mess. Trying to appease the public but not following through with this program of drug testing. When will they ever learn? No one that I know of has been tested in our circuit.

08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree, however, DOC has gotten themselves in another fine mess. Trying to appease the public but not following through with this program of drug testing. When will they ever learn? No one that I know of has been tested in our circuit.

You will only be tested an average of once every 10 years with the numbers. some less and some more

08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
how do you figure that, when they haven't even started yet?

08-23-2006, 10:04 PM

They have started in some parts of the state.

08-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Accd. to mgmt. report, DOC can't even take care of themselves, how do they expect to take on this drug testing project?

08-26-2006, 09:02 PM

they have started, when the average officer that stays on gets tested every 10 years or so, there won't be much testing.

09-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I heard they only started in the prisons and not the po's. The only personnel other than prison personnel to be tested were the volunteers (dumb) non-prison side.

09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I know of one in circuit six who got called

09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I heard they only started in the prisons and not the po's. The only personnel other than prison personnel to be tested were the volunteers (dumb) non-prison side.

P&P has started.

09-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Where? Not down here in the south end of state.

surpriseurstoopid
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
they're testing c20 already too

09-03-2006, 06:50 PM
That's where all the steroids are.

09-03-2006, 11:24 PM
why cant we drug test in the field or employment sites? the offenders now know when they can get tested only the office setting. so they now make excuses and avoid the office, then when in court its not a willful violation just a missed office visit.

09-04-2006, 10:20 AM
This thread is about drug testing employees, not offenders, however I want to have the upper hand and that is not in the field at their house or job. If positive, and you have to take them into custody, then you have to deal with family and co-workers. Plus, you have the chain of custody you have to deal with. We do enough without having to drug test in the field.

Do they want to come to my home to drug test me, I think not.

09-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I am feeling like an offender everyday. DOC--have a little respect for your employees and give us the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully our new govenor in Jan. will clean house.

09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
How true. PBA must be busier than ever with all the phone calls. Of course, they should never have agreed to this stupidity.

09-09-2006, 11:44 PM
That is so true. I'm sure it will be a media event when they start testing, if they do. I believe it is another one of those events that will fade into the night.....

09-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I think everyone is waiting, some not so patiently, for the new administration to come in January. All this foolishness about drug testing employees hopefully will go by the wayside. I get so tired with being treated like the offenders we supervise. No wonder so many are leaving en masse. Come on DOC, wake up and have a little more respect for your employees.

09-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Why is random drug testing of employees being thought of as being so evil? If our offenders have to pass a drug test to work at Home Depot, or KFC, or any of a thousand other places that tests pre-hire and randomly throughout employment, why not us? I don't get the anger over being tested...except if you have something to fear. Honestly, I could care less, because they're not going to find anything but left over Bud Light in my piss. They can test me all they want. I just don't understand why people are getting so ticked off over this.

09-16-2006, 02:33 PM
I just don't understand why people are getting so ticked off over this.

Maybe our DOP officers can shed some light on this. Let's see, can we list the reasons why people try to avoid drug tests?

1. Because you used.

2. Anything else?

09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
First of all, isn't it a saliva test? And even if it is a pee test we're not being treated like the offenders...we don't have to drop our pants and pee in front of someone.

Second of all, if you're not going to show up positive what in the world do you care if you have to submit to a drug test? You get paid time and travel to go to your circuit office.

Third, didn't we ALL have to submit to a drug test to get this job in the first place? Did you throw a whiney baby fit then?

09-16-2006, 10:33 PM
After reading a few of these threads, I really don't think that someone is worried they won't pass a drug test. I'd like to think that employees are not using illegal substances. It seems to me that the point is that we are the project of the month. DOC comes out with all these pilot projects, some good and some not so good . They (Tallahassee) haven't a clue what the outcome of these projects are, they are just trying to appease someone. They start something and then don't finish or follow up. I don't see anyone being whiney, I just see their point about another fine mess DOC has gotten itself into......

09-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree. Maybe someone is protesting too much.

09-23-2006, 04:30 PM
WHY ARE WE NOT ALLOWED TO DO DRUG TESTING IN THE FIELD. WE CAN NO LONGER DRUG TEST AN OFFEDNER AT HIS HOUSE OR WORK, EXCELLANT.

09-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Isn't it enough that we are in the field. I don't want my vehicle looking like the DOC office with drug testing equipment, etc. I saw drug test ONLY in the office.

As for the employees, when and if they test us, who will do it? Our office supv. or circuit big wigs?

09-26-2006, 12:37 AM
I hear some went to Circuit and some sups were trained, so who knows the real story?

09-26-2006, 01:45 AM
per the union agreement.