PDA

View Full Version : Reserve II Program - Honest Opinion

06-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I am thinking about going to the next orientation for the Reserve II program and wanted to know what Full Time Deputies think of Reserve II Deputies.

Are they helpful or a hindrance? Or does it really depend on the individual?

I am 38 years old, in great shape and always wanted to be involved. But I certainly don't want to feel like I would "be in the way". What is the general consensus?

06-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Why worry about what full time deputies think? HCSO Reserve program is one of the best in the country and it's a tough program to get into also. Compared to the TPD program it's head and shoulders above in giving you responsibilities and opportunities during your reserve duties.

Go for it - sounds like you think you have what it takes.

06-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I heard that as well. I also heard that the Reserve Academy is the same as the Regular one but just toned down. Reserves still have to go through all the High Liabilities modules, same as the Regular Academy. Is that correct?

I was just curious what regular Deputies think of Reserves. I'm sure you would agree that it would be a bit of a dissapointment to go through all the training only to feel like you were in the way instead of being welcomed as part of the "Team".

06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Understand - I can't speak for the Deputies. Good luck with the reserve program. I went to one of the initial recruitment meetings and the room was packed. A lot of folks walked out when they heard about the smoking restriction, a few when the issue of tatoos came up and a few more when criminal records was discussed. More dropped out along the way before the screening even started - guess the paperwork was too much. Lost quite a few during the physical test, polygraph, etc etc. Ended up that only a handful of potential HCSO reserves made it into class out of several of those monthly get togethers and out of that handful a few didn't pass the tests. It's pretty demanding considering most folks work and attend the classes afterwards and on the weekend. The high liability classes are identical to the one the full time folks attend, but there are quite a few more classes required for full timers that are not required for reservists. Be mentally and physically prepared for defensive tactics and spending a large portion of your weekends shooting and driving while in the Academy. It's not easy and definitely not a given once you are accepted. My 2 cents.

06-29-2006, 03:59 AM
Thanks. I am ready to do it. I look forward to challenge. If there are any Deputies out there that can give some more information on this, I'd really appreciate it.

06-29-2006, 07:10 PM
As a current reserve I can tell you it is mixed. Most deputies (by far) are great and welcome us out there. There are a few that don't want anyone, reserve or not, in their passenger seat. That's fine, it's their choice. The main thing is how you handle yourself. If you are out there learning and contributing you will gain the respect of your fellow deputies - both reserve and full time. Do the typical things such as crashes, traffic, paper work, and parades as well as the 'fun' stuff like warrants, raids, hot calls and speciality units and you will have a great experience. We receive a lot of support and appreciation from the deputies all the way up to Sheriff Gee. Look forward to having you join us!!!!

07-02-2006, 03:21 AM
ARE THERE ANY DEPUTIES OUT THERE THAT HAVE ANY COMMENT? ARE RESERVE II DEPUTIES WELCOMED FOR THE MOST PART OR NOT?

simpleman
07-02-2006, 09:47 PM
No, nothing personal but don't want anyone with me, reserve, trainee, intern. Others are different but that is them.

07-03-2006, 12:32 AM
No, nothing personal but don't want anyone with me, reserve, trainee, intern. Others are different but that is them.

It's been several years since the study was done, but IACP once published a study that showed that more LEOs were injured on the job if they were working in two-man cars than was the case for LEOs who worked alone.

The surmise was that people in two-man cars were not as cautious as those who worked alone, so they were injured more frequently.

I've worked both kinds of situations and am comfortable with either one.

:D

07-03-2006, 03:26 AM
"...A decision by a driver and/or passenger to fight versus submit to authority may be influenced by whether the officer is outnumbered. This inference is supported by statistics relating to the number of officers killed during traffic stops and pursuits.

Between 1985 and 1994, 9 officers were killed in "two-officer" vehicles while 65 officers riding in "one-officer" vehicles were killed.

As stated by the Court, "...danger to an officer from a traffic stop is likely to be even greater when there are passengers in addition to the driver in the stopped car..."

http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/1997/june976.htm

07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
"...A decision by a driver and/or passenger to fight versus submit to authority may be influenced by whether the officer is outnumbered. This inference is supported by statistics relating to the number of officers killed during traffic stops and pursuits.

Between 1985 and 1994, 9 officers were killed in "two-officer" vehicles while 65 officers riding in "one-officer" vehicles were killed.

As stated by the Court, "...danger to an officer from a traffic stop is likely to be even greater when there are passengers in addition to the driver in the stopped car..."

http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/1997/june976.htm

First, you must realize that the quoted material relates solely to traffic stops in which there was both a driver and a passenger in the stopped car. The matter under consideration by the court was whether or not a passenger in a car stopped for a traffic offense could be ordered to exit the vehicle.

Second, you must realize that this data relates to traffic stops only and does not reference all of the many other types of police activity performed by urban officers as opposed to traffic patrol officers. Which brings up another question. Very few highway traffic patrol cars are occupied by two officers. Were these killings mainly in inner city areas?

Third, you must realize that the referenced quotation discusses an inference based upon statistical data, not demonstrable scientific conclusions.

Fourth, note that the statistics lump together traffic stops and pursuits. Why include pursuits, and to what extent does including pursuits skew the statistics?

Finally, this was an opinion of a judge sitting in a court room, not an academic study. Don't rely upon it too much.

07-06-2006, 03:13 AM
So, what's the bottom line? Are RII's respected as LEO's or are they not? Are they helpful or hindrance?

07-06-2006, 02:34 PM
So, what's the bottom line? Are RII's respected as LEO's or are they not? Are they helpful or hindrance?

Yes and no.

Both.

It all depends upon who you ask.

:wink:

07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
ARE THERE ANY DEPUTIES OUT THERE THAT HAVE ANY COMMENT? ARE RESERVE II DEPUTIES WELCOMED FOR THE MOST PART OR NOT?

No shouting please. As for the question, I think for the most part Reserves are respected by sworn, as long as they don't carry it too far, i.e., telling everyone they know they are "a deputy," because reserve deputies are still working as (well) trained volunteers, not doing the job on a day to day basis, getting crapped on by the public and the brass. There is still a difference.

Most of us appreciate the help, although there us some, myself included, that do not like ridealongs. My office is my front passenger seat, and I don't want to have to relocated my office for the pleasure of another. There are others that enjoy the company. I know that's not real definitive, but that's the way it is.

If you feel it is right for you and you are willing to make the commitment, go for it.

spike
07-13-2006, 01:03 AM
I have a question as well. I am currently in the full time academy, almost done, but I do not have ALL the schooling that is required for full time LE. How can I get ahold of information about HCSO reserve? Untill now I was unaware that HCSO had a reseve unit.

07-13-2006, 02:29 AM
I have a question as well. I am currently in the full time academy, almost done, but I do not have ALL the schooling that is required for full time LE. How can I get ahold of information about HCSO reserve? Untill now I was unaware that HCSO had a reseve unit.

Here ya go:

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/reserve_dep ... rogram.htm (http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/reserve_deputy_2005/reserve_ii_deputy_program.htm)

The HCSO Reserve II program is probably one of the best in the country.

07-13-2006, 02:32 AM

Ask around at HCC. There is a class that will be Graduating July 20th. They have a test this Thursday and next Monday. They can probably tell you about it.

07-13-2006, 02:38 AM
[quote=spike]I have a question as well. I am currently in the full time academy, almost done, but I do not have ALL the schooling that is required for full time LE. How can I get ahold of information about HCSO reserve? Untill now I was unaware that HCSO had a reseve unit.[/quote:n6ebmc98]

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. If I do this where would I have to work?

Your initial 100 hours will be spent with a field-training officer in any of the four patrol districts of the Sheriff’s Office. You choose the district you would like to work in. After that you can volunteer your time in any of the four districts and work in patrol or in any of a number of specialty units on an as needed basis. It is your choice.

2. Am I covered by worker’s compensation?

Yes

3. How much will this cost me?

The only expense to the applicant is the purchase of his or her footwear and firearm. All the training, uniforms and equipment is paid for by the Sheriff’s Office.

4. Is there any pay involved?

You are volunteering your time to the Sheriff’s Office however, there are limited off duty special details that do provide pay. These details are available only to those who fulfill their voluntary obligation. The Reserve II program should not be seen as a second income source as these paid details are not guaranteed.

5. Are there meetings to attend?

There is one meeting a month, which is held on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. That’s it.

6. Is this a good steppingstone for a law enforcement career?

This always depends on what the individual makes of it. It can be a great steppingstone if the effort is made to make it so!

7. What will I be doing?

After your initial 100 hours spent with a field-training officer you may work when you wish, where you wish, and with any unit you wish.

8. What is my monthly obligation?

Each Reserve deputy is required to put in 20 hours of volunteer time. However, you are given a four-hour credit just for attending the monthly meeting even if it only lasts one hour. There is no maximum limit.

9. Do I have to go through a background investigation?

Yes. The background investigation is lengthy and very thorough. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) mandates it. You will go through the same background investigation that a regular deputy is subject to. We are looking for people with courage and integrity and this is one way to find those people.

10. How do I get started?

You need to attend a Reserve II orientation. Orientations are held on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. They are always held in the Special Operations Roll Call Room at our Falkenburg Road facility, 2224 North Falkenburg Road in Brandon. If you have any other questions please call (813) 247-8614 or (813) 247-8616 and ask for the Reserve deputy coordinator.

NOTICE TO APPLICANTS

Applicants will be subject to a thorough and complete background investigation which will include but may not be limited to the following:

1. Detailed application and personal history.

2. Initial interview and confirmation of information.

3. Polygraph interview and test.

4. Submission of fingerprints for classification and criminal history information.

5. Check with the National Crime Information Center and Florida Crime Information Center for arrest and criminal history.

6. Check with law enforcement agencies the applicant may have come in contact with within the past 10 years for any arrests or other contacts.

7. Verification of current and past employment.

8. Check with personal references.

9. Follow-up in home interview and survey of applicant’s neighbors.

10. Verify military record if applicable.

11. Credit check.

12. Verify all licenses if self employed.

13. If prior law enforcement, check with employing agency for personnel records including Internal Affairs.

In addition to the background investigation all applicants will be required to submit to the following tests:

* Physical Abilities Assessment, which will include the following:
o Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission's Physical Abilities Test (PAT). In addition, participation in the following activities will be required:
+ 1 ½ mile run (no time limit)
+ Sit-ups (no minimum number)
+ Push-ups (no minimum number)
+ 100 yard swim (must attempt)

* Criminal Justice Basics Ability Test (CJBAT), also know as Florida Basics Ability Test (FBAT) if applicable. Some applicants may be required to take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
* Written psychological test and interview with a clinical psychologist. (If selected)
* Medical physical examination and drug screen. (If selected)

subaqueous
07-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Go to this site and click on the "Reserve Deputy" link middle left.

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

09-02-2006, 04:47 AM
For what it's worth, I'm am in the middle of Field Training as a RII and have to say that every single Deputy I've been in contact with treated me as an equal. There was no feeling of "not being a part of" or being in the way. It’s quite the opposite. The majority of these Deputies are awesome and do not seem to mind us being out there.

I realize this is not a game and take it seriously. I am fortunate enough to have the time to give back to the community and being treated this way by other Deputies makes it even more worthwhile.

Thanks....