PDA

View Full Version : Application denied...

06-24-2006, 11:16 PM
A question for those who may know what's going on...

I am a recent applicant to the department. I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, no criminal history, good credit score, college degree, and no drug use. Ofc. S___y advised that there should be no problems and I should be getting information mailed in about 3 weeks for meeting with the background investigator. Well, in about 1 week I received a letter advising my application is administratively closed. If the city is down nearly 30 officers why would they turn away prime applicants...aside of course from the obvious race indicator...? Ms Taylor in applicant screening advised they cannot tell me why my application was denied or why my application never even made it to background invest.

Does anyone know of what other options (including meeting with Asst. Chief Williams) I may have....maybe an appeal...?

06-24-2006, 11:40 PM
The answer is obvious...because your a white applicant. The CPD tracks all kinds of stuff including the ratio of black applicants. You would upset the proper ratio.

Its so bad thet Asst Chief Gordon has suggested lowering the acceptable drug use policy for civilian applicants because they can't get enough "qualified" applicants that can meet the current drug use policies.

And they wonder why the revolving door continues to spin.

CHUCKY CHEEEZE
06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
There are many agencies hiring right now. It's not the end of the world to get passed over. Did you apply via "PASS"? If so, your application can be viewed online by all of the participating agencies and it's likely you'll be called before too long.

I'm not going to get into all that "skin color certification" stuff. You'll get a good job if you're qualified. I said a GOOD job. Not one with SPPD.

In your sparetime, look into all of the stuff you can beef up on quickly to help you out. You would be surprised at all the stuff they look at that you don't give any tought to: community service, a few riot-alongs, civic interests, especially youth stuff.

In short; it's not the end of the world. In fact, they did you big favor, you just don't know it yet! Don't hate the game, hate the player!

Good luck!

06-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Alrighty then...I thank you all for the responses thus far...its just pretty dissappointing when you think of the staffing shortage and they throw away a perfectly good applicant. I am planning on applying to PASS soon...just wanted to give the city I was born and raised in a chance first. Good luck to you all and be safe...especially July 1st and 2nd.... :wink:

06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
YOU have a right to the entire record, it is yours and public record, they can with hold nothing....file a FSS chapter 119 demand, as its not ongoing, nor an internal, and it IS your record you can see whats the status and reasons...since they cut you, why not demand to see the basis?

AS for the "story-book"< she is the same as her hubby....lip service but intent on maintaining the status quo...he is actually worse than her, he stiffs people within the organization trying to move up too, so dont feel like u r alone

good luck

06-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I looked at SPPD as nothing more than a stepping stone, I have 3 yrs experience in another state a BS in Criminal Justice and have started on my Master's. I wanted to come down here from the up north. I heard how f-ed up SPPD is how short they are and applied a myself being a W/M was adminstratly closed after my Psyc., poly and ride a long, a called and asked if I passed both they stated I did pass but ASST Chief Williams closed my appplication. Would really like to have known why out of being curious, but I called S---y who referred me to HR who stated there was nothing that could be disclosed. Really didn't care to much I was just looking at is as a way to get down here stay in LE and later move over to PCSO, HCSO, or Tampa PD. Not one officer I met during the ride a long had one good thing to stay about the department seemed like everyone was 15yrs + and awaiting retirement or were 5Yrs or less looking to get the hell out.
Oh well I took a job with the FL DOC which got me down here. Now I am looking into the departments that I really want to work for. Sucks being out of LE but the Depart I was working for up North was falling apart BAD. Lots of people in the area told me to look into the PASS, I plan to get through the EOT and apply to that as well.

06-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone that the applicant wasn't good enough? maybe failed psych. Like the last poster who had a negative attitude before he even got here.

06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe the applicant was just mediocre, but if he or she was as good as the resume sounds, the cold hard fact is that if they ride with anyone who's been here any time, they are going to get an ear full about staffing, poor morale, no backing, racial politics, an indifferent mayor, etc. Who's left?

As an academy instructor a few years back, I tired to encourage veteran certified officers seeking FL certification to apply at SPPD. But they had already gotten the word: steer clear of that riot zone.

The solution? It's gonna take a chief from the outside with progressive ideas and courage to remedy this pathetic place. Otherwise, my vote is to go Metro-Pinellas. It's cheaper for citizens, it's a bigger dept with more resources, we can live anywhere in the county and have a take-home vehicle, and it's real police work.

Boscorelli
06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Ref: HR Manager

People would not come in with a bad attitude if there wasn't so many problems and complaints. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Like I said I am not too concerned at all. The Dept. is falling a part I remember riding and watching the officer I was with pull up on the laptop back up units probaly less than 25 covering the whole city. During calls other officers would tell me about Depts. they were processing with, places that would go if they were me even the shrink asked me if I had heard problems about SPPD and considered other departments. I said yeah I have heard they have problems but who doesn't this is really someplace I want to be with time all will work itself out. Had to BS but the problems aren't going to get better, when you can keep staff, do you job without fear of discipline/riots/if back up is really coming. If I was a dope dealer i would move to St Pete because if the PD tries to pull you over why stop go home get rid of the dope, complain that you were targeted and how unfair you were treated.

I am not worried about getting a job have no illegal drug usage, no traffic violations in 6 years, 3 yrs LE experience, college degree...
And as far as the poly and psyc goes I know I passed both they told me that much.

CHUCKY CHEEEZE
06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Apply to Detroit, New Orleans or DC.

Thems be Mo healthier agencies :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

....or Palmexico PD just to our south....

06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Contact the EEOC office in Tampa and file a complaint if your facts are true, your civil rights have been violated. Seek justice for youself! Stand up for what is right...

06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
After reviewing your post....it is obvious why you would not be hired. Your an idiot.

06-29-2006, 02:08 AM
In the SW Florida/Tampa Bay area, you should consider:

Sarasota County SO - has the $, resources, equipment & talent to get the job done properly. Outstanding sheriff, progressive agency, great training dept, a LE leader.

RUN from SPPD before you invest any more time. When you think it can't get worse, it just HAS to get better,...it gets worse.

06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
If you are going to be name calling learn to spell and to use correct grammar.
Your an idiot. Would actually be you are or you're not your. Your refers to something you posses eg Is that your coke? You are/you're something that you are. You are an idiot.
Now you can add to your resume that you have completed Comp. 101
In the mean time remember that You are an idiot, idiot!

06-29-2006, 05:49 PM
with all this back and forth....... THATS IT, MEET ME IN THE PLAYGROUND AFTER RECESS!! by the slide not the swings.
grow up

07-04-2006, 06:38 AM
A quick question...If no caucasian applicants are being hired, why is it that all I see are caucasian St Pete officers on the streets?....at least on nights anyway.

07-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Because all of the non-white officers are transferred to specialty units after they finish the FTO program leaving the rest to handle the calls.

07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
It's Easy hit it right on the button. All the minorities get the specialty positions and the rest get to handle the calls.

Its called the Coalition and it alive and well.

Get out while you can. Most other agencies are hiring. :D

07-10-2006, 02:10 AM
As an applicant to SPPD I experienced the same thing. Came down from up north, very costly flight, met with backgrounder, did POLY, ride and Psyc. All told me that I did fine. About two weeks later got a letter stating I was out due to info discovered during my poly. I have never done anything that would cause me to lie, never used any drugs or had any issues with any criminal violations. I called several people and no one could tell me what happened. I finally got a call from one of the asst chiefs saying I passed but that it was something that I disclosed. What he would not tell me. Again, I have never done anything that would cause me to lie. Very odd.

Lawman
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
If you really want to know, request the documents. I am not positive, but there is probably a written report from the polygraph operator.

07-11-2006, 05:01 AM
If you applied and didn't get the job just consider yourself lucky and you not getting hired a sign from God. That means you won't have to work there for a few years and quit to go somewhere else. You can just start somewhere else from the get go and not have your retirement money STOLEN from you when you do leave.

07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
See the staff at SPPD never were cops nor did they ever like them. They just like the money and power while screwing over good hard working men and women. That is the fact of the matter. When you screw up big enough at the PD they move you to City Hall.

07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Eight years ago I completed the whole process, almost. I did not do the oral board. I was a good applicant, as I was told. I received a letter stating I failed my poly. I wondered what the problem was. No one returned my calls.

Finally I went down there and I was told I had passed the poly but I had two moving violations within one year THREE years prior.

What a waste of my time that was and it was the best thing that could have happened.

07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Tickets...ha. Now you can smoke weed and experiment with other drugs. The poly means nothing either...no matter what is divulged many applicants are moved along it just depends on your demographics.

Lawman
07-13-2006, 01:58 AM
We had an officer who was either fired or told to resign for stealing a credit card off of a prisoner and using it to buy gas. He was then rehired as a counselor over at James Park. Can you guess what his race was?

Meanwhile, more than one white officer is fired for an unverifiable "lie" and has to fight tooth and nail at arbitration to get his job back.

CompanyClerk
07-13-2006, 03:18 AM
Since I can trace my family back without any trouble to Africa, and there are more than 1,000 books on how we escaped, maybe I should apply for a job at sppd.

I am a minority, non-arian, speak 4 languages, read and write 3 of them, have degrees in Forensics, Computer Science, and Criminal Law. Can put a hole in three grapefruits with three shots at 200 yards. But...

I am over 55.

But you kids, when you decide that you actually want to do something about the problem and not just whine about it... Drop me a line.

I specialize in political areas especially where people are trying to hide.

Ya'll have a nice day now!

PS... For those that are paranoid, I can make arrangements for you to see me, before I see you.

07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Eight years ago I completed the whole process, almost. I did not do the oral board. I was a good applicant, as I was told. I received a letter stating I failed my poly. I wondered what the problem was. No one returned my calls.

Finally I went down there and I was told I had passed the poly but I had two moving violations within one year THREE years prior.

What a waste of my time that was and it was the best thing that could have happened.

I am extremely leery of your little story since there is no oral board here and has not been one for at least 15 or more years. It sounded good though and was a nice way to try to stir the pot

07-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Despite some of the negative responses here, and we all know that there will always be those, I would like to re-apply with SPPD. Any suggestions? I was told that I could re-apply by the Asst Chiefs. Like many others my app was denied due to some issue with the Poly.

Thanks.

07-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Put some shoe polish on and go down there and axe to speak wit cornbread.

07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Here's the cold, hard truth about SPPD and every other organization that mistreats, underemploys employees. SPPD is now a training ground for other agencies that offer real benefits, chain of command support, comparable pay. Period.

Ask yourself, why go to SPPD when you can start off at the place where you would only find yourself applying 3-5 years down the line? Why begin a law enforcement career at a place where you will leave every cent you invested in a city pension plan that will not reimburse you one $.

CompanyClerk
07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
It's Your Own Fault!

If you check around with some of the larger dept's that have a powerful PBA or FOP, THEY not the city take control of the Pension Retirement Funds... The city puts their portion of what is due the officer, depending on rank and grade... And, If and when that officer leaves, he/she can take what is due with them.

The FOP or PBA can even have fund raisers (yard sales, flea markets, bar-b-q and cookie sales) to put more into the funds or for special reasons when "Officer Is Down" or worse. Tell me when a city "Ever" kicked in any extra's when an officer needed it? This also works for Fire Depts... I was with the team that drew up the paperwork for both the City of Ocala and Marion County Fire Fighters. It took them two years of feeling the heat from the brass and council... but eventually, the public was won over and that forced the city/county to give it up!

"Bad people succeed, when good people do nothing!"

07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I left and did not get any pension $ back but I left before my contract was up and I suggest you do the same.

My feeling is if they want there contract money they better be handing over the pension money. I will GLADLY open that door if they come after me for contract money.

LETS PLAY!!!! :twisted: