PDA

View Full Version : Should Sex Offenders be banned from Libraries??

06-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Sex offender caught at downtown library

I have always been concerned about these sex offenders lurking to snatch an innocent child.

They need a state statute to bar them fron libraries etc.

Jacksonville parents are now leery of leaving their children at the library after police say a sexual offender was caught hanging out at the new downtown location.

Police say Quween Isreal, a sex offender, was lurking in the teen section of the main library. Librarians there say Isreal’s behavior made it clear he wasn't interested in books , and was cause for alarm, so they called the authorities.

Witnesses say Isreal became spooked and darted out of the library, walking down Hogan Rd. and turning on Adams St., where police eventually caught up with him.

Isreal told police he was at the library to see if kids were reading Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He is now facing a misdemeanor loitering charge.

The incident concerning Isreal begs the question, what is the library doing to protect the children?

Library spokeswoman Stacey Bucher says the facility has security cameras, as well as security guards, and recently hired a security manager.

“We want to make the library safe and secure for our customers," says Bucher.

The library also has a rule that says any child eight years old or younger has to have a parent with them and the parent needs to be able to see the kid at all times.

06-23-2006, 02:32 PM
i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

06-23-2006, 07:09 PM
i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

People are tired of paying for sex offenders who are incarcerated but the alternative is worse I guess.

06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
so I say no way should they be there. Most libraries have children story hour, after school care and what have you, no thanks, ban the SO .

mystikwarrior
06-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Excel I, II and III. Email I, II and III. Getting Out of Debt. Buy and Sell on Ebay. Basic Word Processing. Internet I and II. Creating Certiifcates with Word. Feng Shui and Your Love Life. Perspectives Form India: Yoga and Meditation. Journey to Fitness Weight Loss. Restaruant 101. Smart Start Your Business. Financial Resources for Your Small Business. Tax Awareness and Your Business. Marketing Series 1 and 2. SBA Loans and Other Programs. Business Disaster Preparation. Time Management. Sue Hess art exhibit.
Not to mention countless Book Discussions involving works and authors that are far removed from the readings of children. Advanced genealogy classes. Knitting and Crocheting. Advanced Gardening.

Libraries are NOT for children. They're for everybody. If the library wants to hold Children's Story Hour in the same room at the same time as the 'Feng Shui and Your Love Life' class I suggest you see to it the librarian is fired. Likewise if the little ones are going to join in on discussing the nuances of 'Catcher in the Rye'.

The above are a selection of offerings throughout the Hillsborough County Library Co-op, for those who are wondering.

06-24-2006, 02:03 AM
they should have a 1 hour window one day a week where they can go to the library and the public is notified of that time to keep children away then. that might solve this problem.

06-24-2006, 02:57 AM
If I'm a gay PO living with my boyfriend, enjoying sex, am I a sex offender?

06-24-2006, 05:17 AM
It has been law for 10 years that prohibits sex offenders from going to the library.

06-24-2006, 05:48 AM
it has? where? what country?

06-24-2006, 04:58 PM

I guess not since Florida doesnt enforce its sodomy and cohabitation laws. These are looked at like the single woman cant skydive on Sunday Florida law still on the books.

mystikwarrior
06-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I guess not since Florida doesnt enforce its sodomy and cohabitation laws.
Of course they don't. Too many LEOs, State Attorneys and judges would end up being arrested, not to mention half the rest of the state population.

06-24-2006, 06:42 PM
I guess not since Florida doesnt enforce its sodomy and cohabitation laws.
Of course they don't. Too many LEOs, State Attorneys and judges would end up being arrested, not to mention half the rest of the state population.

Other states have had their sodomy and cohabitation laws struck down with regards to gays in Federal Court, but Florida hasnt tested them recently I think. The Supreme Court has never ruled on them I think but I doubt they would side with state law on these outdated laws.

06-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Well that depends....what grade is your boyfriend in? :lol:

06-25-2006, 02:16 AM

People are tired of paying for sex offenders who are incarcerated but the alternative is worse I guess.

guest sure hope you don't do the paperwork in your office...will be a lot of offenders released for bad paperwork...if they are in a library then they can't possibly be incarcerated!.....and you avoided my question completely! how can you require them to pay taxes for the building and upkeep of something they are forbidden to use....lot alone how you can forbide it in the first place...last time i looked those were public facilities for use by any citizen and even non-citizens...and hate to break it to you but last time i looked Ex-Sex Offenders are citizens...or have they changed the fed laws since the last time i looked...thought the only way you could lose your citizenship was for treason or taking up arms against the united states or do you honestly think a sex crime is comparable to treason against the country? if so wake up and smell the coffee!

06-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Worried citizen wrote:

The Florida statutes state: "schools, daycares, parks, or any other place where children congregate." Children congregate at libraries.

06-25-2006, 03:30 AM
[quote="new guest":kdea16jg]i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

guest sure hope you don't do the paperwork in your office...will be a lot of offenders released for bad paperwork...if they are in a library then they can't possibly be incarcerated!.....and you avoided my question completely! how can you require them to pay taxes for the building and upkeep of something they are forbidden to use....lot alone how you can forbide it in the first place...last time i looked those were public facilities for use by any citizen and even non-citizens...and hate to break it to you but last time i looked Ex-Sex Offenders are citizens...or have they changed the fed laws since the last time i looked...thought the only way you could lose your citizenship was for treason or taking up arms against the united states or do you honestly think a sex crime is comparable to treason against the country? if so wake up and smell the coffee![/quote:kdea16jg]

My paperwork stands up - trust me. Well the courts havent seen it that way so far, many municipalities and states have basically banned sex offenders from public places in effect by passing their laws and ordinances. You need to wake up and smell the coffee - when was the last time the courts have stopped any of this at the appellate level. I dont remember any recently. Lost on Iowa, Lost on Ryce center by other state ruling upheld by Supreme Court etc. When all this started I figured the courts would toss all of it but the registries , but I have been surprised that they seem to let the states basically go as far as they want so far. Politics are in the air and will not change anytime soon.

06-26-2006, 02:33 AM
[quote="new guest":30xeolgq]i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

guest sure hope you don't do the paperwork in your office...will be a lot of offenders released for bad paperwork...if they are in a library then they can't possibly be incarcerated!.....and you avoided my question completely! how can you require them to pay taxes for the building and upkeep of something they are forbidden to use....lot alone how you can forbide it in the first place...last time i looked those were public facilities for use by any citizen and even non-citizens...and hate to break it to you but last time i looked Ex-Sex Offenders are citizens...or have they changed the fed laws since the last time i looked...thought the only way you could lose your citizenship was for treason or taking up arms against the united states or do you honestly think a sex crime is comparable to treason against the country? if so wake up and smell the coffee!

My paperwork stands up - trust me. Well the courts havent seen it that way so far, many municipalities and states have basically banned sex offenders from public places in effect by passing their laws and ordinances. You need to wake up and smell the coffee - when was the last time the courts have stopped any of this at the appellate level. I dont remember any recently. Lost on Iowa, Lost on Ryce center by other state ruling upheld by Supreme Court etc. When all this started I figured the courts would toss all of it but the registries , but I have been surprised that they seem to let the states basically go as far as they want so far. Politics are in the air and will not change anytime soon.[/quote:30xeolgq]

better look again...check out missouri....residence restriction lawsuit has been heard at the missouri supreme court in jan...so far they haven't found a way to uphold it....been 6 months and they still havent' release a verdict.....are finding a hard way to say a guy who was 18 and had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend 25 years ago who are now married together with children who are grown is now 2 decades later a threat to society!..... as for the court's well the german courts thought hitler was the best thing germany had ever seen....cost the world 20 million dead to fix that screw up!....just wonder how many dead it's gonna take to stop this stupidity!

06-26-2006, 02:39 AM
[quote=Anonymous][quote="new guest":k0qrtcqh]i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

My paperwork stands up - trust me. Well the courts havent seen it that way so far, many municipalities and states have basically banned sex offenders from public places in effect by passing their laws and ordinances. You need to wake up and smell the coffee - when was the last time the courts have stopped any of this at the appellate level. I dont remember any recently. Lost on Iowa, Lost on Ryce center by other state ruling upheld by Supreme Court etc. When all this started I figured the courts would toss all of it but the registries , but I have been surprised that they seem to let the states basically go as far as they want so far. Politics are in the air and will not change anytime soon.[/quote:k0qrtcqh]

better look again...check out missouri....residence restriction lawsuit has been heard at the missouri supreme court in jan...so far they haven't found a way to uphold it....been 6 months and they still havent' release a verdict.....are finding a hard way to say a guy who was 18 and had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend 25 years ago who are now married together with children who are grown is now 2 decades later a threat to society!..... as for the court's well the german courts thought hitler was the best thing germany had ever seen....cost the world 20 million dead to fix that screw up!....just wonder how many dead it's gonna take to stop this stupidity![/quote:k0qrtcqh]

I agree this stuff should only apply to true pedophiles. They need to rewrite these things to just say if the victim was 14 or younger to get rid of those cases being affected also. I also think the ones that say you cant even work within so many feet of places will eventually be struck down by the courts, but it might be years from now.

06-26-2006, 02:43 AM
[quote=Anonymous][quote="new guest":gjaldywe]i am sorry but if all sex offenders are now forbidden to go to any location that is generally available to the public and now refused entrance to public housing, and services...then they should not be required to pay taxes....i mean i think that was the main reason we ran the british out in the 1700's...taxation without representation..and they arent' allowed to vote for life in florida and now are forbidden to use public facilities so why should they be required to pay for their upkeep?

My paperwork stands up - trust me. Well the courts havent seen it that way so far, many municipalities and states have basically banned sex offenders from public places in effect by passing their laws and ordinances. You need to wake up and smell the coffee - when was the last time the courts have stopped any of this at the appellate level. I dont remember any recently. Lost on Iowa, Lost on Ryce center by other state ruling upheld by Supreme Court etc. When all this started I figured the courts would toss all of it but the registries , but I have been surprised that they seem to let the states basically go as far as they want so far. Politics are in the air and will not change anytime soon.

better look again...check out missouri....residence restriction lawsuit has been heard at the missouri supreme court in jan...so far they haven't found a way to uphold it....been 6 months and they still havent' release a verdict.....are finding a hard way to say a guy who was 18 and had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend 25 years ago who are now married together with children who are grown is now 2 decades later a threat to society!..... as for the court's well the german courts thought hitler was the best thing germany had ever seen....cost the world 20 million dead to fix that screw up!....just wonder how many dead it's gonna take to stop this stupidity![/quote:gjaldywe]

I agree this stuff should only apply to true pedophiles. They need to rewrite these things to just say if the victim was 14 or younger to get rid of those cases being affected also. I also think the ones that say you cant even work within so many feet of places will eventually be struck down by the courts, but it might be years from now.[/quote:gjaldywe]

a true pedophile has been diagnosed by a doctor and psychiatrist...not some idiot politican...!

mystikwarrior
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I agree this stuff should only apply to true pedophiles. They need to rewrite these things to just say if the victim was 14 or younger to get rid of those cases being affected also.
A 'true pedophile' actually would have a prepubescent victim under 12. Children are 12 and under. Adolescents and teens are 13 and older. There is an additional term, ephebophilia, that applies to pedophilia-type tendencies only geared towards the adolescents and teens. But like pedophilia, it is a clinical diagnosis.

I also think the ones that say you cant even work within so many feet of places will eventually be struck down by the courts, but it might be years from now.
Nope. Georgia's new law has been temporarily halted on behalf of the 8 plaintiffs and the injunction will be expanded to cover all offenders by the end of the week. By the time the weather cools off that law will no longer exist. This will set up a Supreme Court hearing since there will then be two Federal Courts with conflicting rulings.

06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Worried citizen wrote:

The Florida statutes state: "schools, daycares, parks, or any other place where children congregate." Children congregate at libraries.

they congregate on street corners's too..that make them off limits? gonna be hard to drive to the probation office that way!

06-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes, they do congregate on street corners and numerous other places. However, the library is a location does not change, and children regularly congregate there.