PDA

View Full Version : I cannot afford to live here anymore!

06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
8 years at this place. I have seen the ups and downs in the department, I have seen the ups and downs of homes/condos/apartments in the area. My apartment complex, like many others around here are going condo. You either buy when your lease is up or you leave. My lease is up at the end of the summer. I realize we had a raise a few years back and SUPPOSEDLY going to receive another. Its not enough and I cannot make it. I have a family to feed, bills to pay and the overtime along with base pay is not cutting it. I do not know about the rest of you that do not own homes yet or are new here - I just cannot see how you can make it. I have had no choice but to apply elsewhere for now and maybe even get out of law enforecement altogether. North Port is rediculous in price now, Sarasota is out of the question and Parrish - thats another story. What are we to do??? I live in a hellhole as it is now for an apartment which I cannot believe is going to be a condo! Am I the only one out there in this predicament right now? Someone please shed some light - again, I just venting but this really sucks!

On another note, 3 of my closest friends here have applied elsewhere (mostly HCSO and north) and are in the process. The difference is they are established with homes but are unhappy here with the department - different story. Goes to show if you bought at the right time, you are probably ok but if you DIDNT, you are probably in the same situation as me unless you have a wealthy family!!!!!!

(I feel better now - this forum works!)

Vulgarian
06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
I lived in Tampa while I was in college and looked into HCSO and TPD before I came here. About 4 years ago the pay was about the same up there as it was down here. I chose to work here because, in my opinion, it is much much safer, and a better place to raise a family. I can tell you that I still have a lot of friends that live in the Riverview/Brandon area, making the same as we are, but their houses are a lot cheeper than ours in Sarasota/Manatee. I'd say about $60-$80,000 less.

I don't know anything about the agencies, but as far as housing, it is a lot cheeper up there. Same builders, same quality houses, and more selection. It won't last long though, so start looking now.

The way I figure is, if you are making the same at a different agency as you are here, and your payments are less up there than they would be here, you should be able to afford it.

Hope I helped a lil....

If you want specific areas to either buy or build, let me know...I know of a few.

06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I was raised in Sarasota. Went to Sarasota high. I can't live in the actual county. I have a police job in Bradenton and I live in a condo, off of Lockwood in Manatee county. That is the closest to the county I will get due to the overpricing. Thanks alot. The only way I'll ever be able to get a house in Sarasota is to inherit my parent's house. I don't know where people are getting the money to get houses here but I must be doing something wrong.

06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
You're not kidding it's too expensive to live here! My husband and I tried to buy a house last year...the mortgage payment was double my rent! Yeah, Yeah...I know buying is always better, but if you can't afford it, what's the use??
I am lucky enough to be in an apartment that's not going condo. They are not the ritziest apartments around, but we have a pool and most of my neighbors are decent....if you can't find anything else, Presidential Apts. at lockwood and Fruitville are affordable...I'm paying 700 a month (2 bed room, 2 bath,apx 950 sq ft of space, which is bigger than some houses I've looked at!), and I'm less than 2 miles from work...saves big time on gas (I fill up once a month, and I drive a SUV). Everything I need is within a one mile radius from my apartment, so I'm not driving all over creation just to get groceries...Anyway, good luck on your search!
Cindy Luna :D