PDA

View Full Version : Sex offender task force tackles parolee placement

06-18-2006, 01:42 AM
http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.as ... 5DE05E4416 (http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=51006B6B-B255-478B-8E51-565DE05E4416)

BAKERSFIELD - Gov. Arnold Schwarzengger has put together a task force to make recommendations on where paroled sex offenders should be placed.
Parole officials said they struggle with a new law that prevents high risk sex offenders from living within a half-mile of a school.

In turn, lawmakers criticize parole officials for failing to create a list of suitable housing before the law was passed.

Orange County Assemblyman Todd Spitzer says, “why hasn't notification happened before? One of the major things we're asking, is when they go to prison for five or 10 years, why aren't they getting any treatment, when they are in custody?”

In Bakersfield, there are about a dozen sex offenders, some categorized as high risk for repeat offending, living within four block of Bessie Owens Intermediate School.

Some have been saying it's an apparent violation of state law.

On Friday, members of the High Risk Sex Offender Task Force announced new recommendations on the placement of those parolees in our community and across California.

They are calling for a complete risk assessment of the 1,400 sex offenders set to be released, and for the assessment to be completed within 30 days.

The Acting Corrections Chief, James Tilton, couldn't explain why such procedures hadn't been followed before.

“This makes no sense not to identify things early on if you are having difficulty with placements, and you are not doing a good job notifying local law enforcement,” Tilton said. “That's why we're stepping back.”

“I can't explain why we didn't do it sooner,” he adds.

The sex offender task force will investigate how much it costs to treat offenders while they're incarcerated in hopes that it will prevent some from re-offending when they're paroled.

The pre-release program will include at least a 45 day advance notification to local sheriffs, police chiefs and district attorneys.

The task force is set to issue a full report of recommendations on August 1.

06-18-2006, 01:48 AM
http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=51006B6B-B255-478B-8E51-565DE05E4416

BAKERSFIELD - Gov. Arnold Schwarzengger has put together a task force to make recommendations on where paroled sex offenders should be placed.
Parole officials said they struggle with a new law that prevents high risk sex offenders from living within a half-mile of a school.

In turn, lawmakers criticize parole officials for failing to create a list of suitable housing before the law was passed.

Orange County Assemblyman Todd Spitzer says, “why hasn't notification happened before? One of the major things we're asking, is when they go to prison for five or 10 years, why aren't they getting any treatment, when they are in custody?”

In Bakersfield, there are about a dozen sex offenders, some categorized as high risk for repeat offending, living within four block of Bessie Owens Intermediate School.

Some have been saying it's an apparent violation of state law.

On Friday, members of the High Risk Sex Offender Task Force announced new recommendations on the placement of those parolees in our community and across California.

They are calling for a complete risk assessment of the 1,400 sex offenders set to be released, and for the assessment to be completed within 30 days.

The Acting Corrections Chief, James Tilton, couldn't explain why such procedures hadn't been followed before.

“This makes no sense not to identify things early on if you are having difficulty with placements, and you are not doing a good job notifying local law enforcement,” Tilton said. “That's why we're stepping back.”

“I can't explain why we didn't do it sooner,” he adds.

The sex offender task force will investigate how much it costs to treat offenders while they're incarcerated in hopes that it will prevent some from re-offending when they're paroled.

The pre-release program will include at least a 45 day advance notification to local sheriffs, police chiefs and district attorneys.

The task force is set to issue a full report of recommendations on August 1.

So even if they took some classes their past dictates they should be a 1/2 mile from schools etc. Where to place them? My guess would be 1/2 mile from schools etc and if they refuse to comply in a local jail until they do follow the law.

06-18-2006, 02:24 AM

Anyone have a clue why Jeb isn't stepping up to the plate on this one?

06-18-2006, 02:35 AM

Anyone have a clue why Jeb isn't stepping up to the plate on this one?

Yes because any legitimate task force would say they should live 1/2 mile away from schools so why waste limited resources on this.

06-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Yes because any legitimate task force would say they should live 1/2 mile away from schools so why waste limited resources on this.

Because the average simpleton with blinders on doesn't have the resources available to analyze the social impact on a larger scale.

06-18-2006, 02:49 AM

Because the average simpleton with blinders on doesn't have the resources available to analyze the social impact on a larger scale.

Anyone with an IQ over 90 I would think can see children are better off if pedophile predators live a 1/2 mile from where they go to school. We dont need a task force to explain that to us.
Talk about pork barrel projects.

06-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Anyone with an IQ over 90 I would think can see children are better off if pedophile predators live a 1/2 mile from where they go to school. We dont need a task force to explain that to us.

True. But it would be nice to have a task force with an average IQ higher than the typical DOC employee. All sex offenders are not pedophiles and all sex offenders are not high risk. Further, whether we make all of them move or a select few they will have to go somewhere.

If we make all of them move causing them to go underground we should err on the side of caution and assume some of the them are a high risk and will eventually reoffend. If we are trying to stop reoffenses we must focus on the group of people who are more likely to reoffend and deal with them appropriately. Sending them to another municipality without an ordinance is ignoring the problem. This is a statewide issue and should be dealt with as such IMO. The NIMBY attitude is just that - an attitude and does nothing to address the issues.

06-18-2006, 03:42 AM

True. But it would be nice to have a task force with an average IQ higher than the typical DOC employee. All sex offenders are not pedophiles and all sex offenders are not high risk. Further, whether we make all of them move or a select few they will have to go somewhere.

If we make all of them move causing them to go underground we should err on the side of caution and assume some of the them are a high risk and will eventually reoffend. If we are trying to stop reoffenses we must focus on the group of people who are more likely to reoffend and deal with them appropriately. Sending them to another municipality without an ordinance is ignoring the problem. This is a statewide issue and should be dealt with as such IMO. The NIMBY attitude is just that - an attitude and does nothing to address the issues.

If all the cities do it this does address the issue. Counseling does not stop all the offenders from reoffending and you can still get counseling if you are an offender you just have to live 2500 foot away from where children congregate.

06-18-2006, 03:44 AM
I do believe however an 18 year old etc messing with a 15 year old consensual should not be treated the same as as a true pedophile.

06-18-2006, 04:06 AM
If all the cities do it this does address the issue.

All the cities have not done it nor have they addressed the real issue which is reoffenses. If the solution was as simple as making every single pedophile move half a mile from a school, daycare, playground or whatever, don't you think we'd have one state law instead of 60 or 70 local ordinaces creating havoc?

The issue of reducing sexual abuse is not a one dimentional problem with a simple solution. Local governments seem to prefer to ignor the issue by getting rid of it - out of sight out of mind. This is what's adding fuel to the SO frenzy IMHO. Ignorance and fear compounded by knee jerk reactions leading to feel good legislation does nothing to reduce recidivism.

06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
I do believe however an 18 year old etc messing with a 15 year old consensual should not be treated the same as as a true pedophile.

And if this same kid was released back to Davie some misinformed PO would disapprove his PLC because the neighbor has a pool.

06-18-2006, 04:32 AM

And if this same kid was released back to Davie some misinformed PO would disapprove his PLC because the neighbor has a pool.

I guess if their ordinance said under 16 like most do.

06-18-2006, 04:38 AM

you are right they would just nix it based on the 1000 foot congegate wording.

06-18-2006, 04:43 AM

Am I correct in assuming that none of the POs in Davie ever bothered to question the private pool issue? That's quite a s-t-r-e-t-c-h don't ya think?

06-18-2006, 04:47 AM
[quote=Anonymous]I do believe however an 18 year old etc messing with a 15 year old consensual should not be treated the same as as a true pedophile.

Am I correct in assuming that none of the POs in Davie ever bothered to question the private pool issue? That's quite a s-t-r-e-t-c-h don't ya think?[/quote:2w5hj712]

Believe me the higher ups in DOC make the determination in the big picture not the low level officer.

mystikwarrior
06-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone with an IQ over 90 I would think can see children are better off if pedophile predators live a 1/2 mile from where they go to school.
Let's see. 'Pedophile' is a person with a clinical finding that they are sexually attracted to the under-12 age-group. 'Predator' typically means they have raped or otherwise penetrated one of said under-12 members once or perpetrated other despicable acts against them at least twice.
Question. What the heck is the guy doing out on the streets anyway?
'Sex offender' on the other hand has an entirely different meaning than 'pedophile predator'. Even a person with an IQ in the high 180's will have a hard time understanding why some guy who at 19 got his 17 year-old girlfriend (later wife) pregnant should have to live at least that far away from the school his kids go to.
Care to enlighten us, Einstein?

mystikwarrior
06-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Local governments seem to prefer to ignor the issue by getting rid of it - out of sight out of mind.
I hate to bring it up again and in a different thread, but the people who are so sold on these ordinances totally evaded the issue of Miami Gardens.
What's up, people? All the offenders got kicked out and now the children are safe right? So what's going on there? Who are these people molesting the kids at 3AM or snatching them off the sidewalks?
I should add in fairness that the wonderful downhome dream town of Miami Gardens is ranked as one of the top 20 most dangerous cities in the USA because of the amount of violent crime there.
A kid is about 387 times more likely to be accidentally shot in a drive-by than get molested by the stanger down the street.

06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Anyone with an IQ over 90 I would think can see children are better off if pedophile predators live a 1/2 mile from where they go to school.
Let's see. 'Pedophile' is a person with a clinical finding that they are sexually attracted to the under-12 age-group. 'Predator' typically means they have raped or otherwise penetrated one of said under-12 members once or perpetrated other despicable acts against them at least twice.
Question. What the heck is the guy doing out on the streets anyway?
'Sex offender' on the other hand has an entirely different meaning than 'pedophile predator'. Even a person with an IQ in the high 180's will have a hard time understanding why some guy who at 19 got his 17 year-old girlfriend (later wife) pregnant should have to live at least that far away from the school his kids go to.
Care to enlighten us, Einstein?

I agree that if it was consensual and involved a 16-17 year old you dont need this restriction but what is that 1% of the cases. The state hardly ever prosecutes that and if they do they usually reduce it to a non sex charge. They should just write the law to say if the victim was under 16.

06-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Local governments seem to prefer to ignor the issue by getting rid of it - out of sight out of mind.
I hate to bring it up again and in a different thread, but the people who are so sold on these ordinances totally evaded the issue of Miami Gardens.
What's up, people? All the offenders got kicked out and now the children are safe right? So what's going on there? Who are these people molesting the kids at 3AM or snatching them off the sidewalks?
I should add in fairness that the wonderful downhome dream town of Miami Gardens is ranked as one of the top 20 most dangerous cities in the USA because of the amount of violent crime there.
A kid is about 387 times more likely to be accidentally shot in a drive-by than get molested by the stanger down the street.

Its easy they are the sex offenders not in the system mostly, but now that they are identified they can be ran out of the city also. We cant restrict someone before they have been convicted. We dont have mind reading technology yet.

06-18-2006, 10:22 PM

There's only one PO posting in favor of the ordinances from what I've seen. And you've seemed to miss the point with 'people who are sold on these ordinances'. They don't care about Miami Gardens or any other city in the state with the exception of the one they live in.

06-19-2006, 12:28 PM
[quote=Anonymous]I do believe however an 18 year old etc messing with a 15 year old consensual should not be treated the same as as a true pedophile.

Am I correct in assuming that none of the POs in Davie ever bothered to question the private pool issue? That's quite a s-t-r-e-t-c-h don't ya think?

Believe me the higher ups in DOC make the determination in the big picture not the low level officer.[/quote:1bkuylun]

False! The PO completing the PLC has/had the final say. No one questions the officer completing the PLC.

06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
False! The PO completing the PLC has/had the final say. No one questions the officer completing the PLC.

You are correct. I have never had anyone question a PLC I worked on. I use my best judgement within the rules/guidelines. A supervisor has NEVER told me to focus on running sex offenders out of the community nor have they EVER been so ignorant as to suggest dumping them in the next county. The fact that we have officers here on the forum calling for a deletion of all the Sex Offender threads tells me there truly is something they are trying to hide.

06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
I hear ya' pink. i follow the guidelines - it's called florida statutes.