PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I am a FHP applicant and have my pysch Monday in Miami. Any suggestions??? Just curious.... I live in Hillsborough County and they have me going to Miami. Is this the only place they do pyschs? Just curious. THANKS!

06-16-2006, 04:54 PM
As far as I know, Miami is the only place they do the test. It's a loooong test, if I remember right it was about 1000 questions. They ask the same questions over and over and over.

06-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Here is some good advice. Tell the truth on the test!

Someone has described this as a loooong test. It is long for a reason. It's called a multi-phase test because it compares your answers to virtually identical questions with other questions which have been asked earlier in order to see how your answers might change with differing situations.

You CAN NOT remember or even understand how the earlier questions might relate to the later ones. It's like telling several lies and trying to remember all of them months later. You can't do it.

I have a friend who failed the test because he felt he should give the "politically correct" answers to some of the "sensitive" questions rather than admitting he is somewhat of a male chauvanist.

In fact, by comparing your answers in various "clusters" of the test they determine your "truthfulness" in all of your answers.
These "truthfulness" questions usually have something to do with very personal things. Example: Have you every had black, tarry stools? Fact is, everyone has - it can be a result of illness, tension, etc., but for some reason there are those people who will deny it. Go figure.

Just tell the truth and don't try to "out think" the test. There are no right and wrong answers; just true answers and lies. If you should "fail" the test there is a good chance you wouldn't do well in law enforcement anyway.

(To the extent that FHP is considered law enforcement. :twisted: )

06-16-2006, 07:46 PM
It is 1600 questions , you will be there with many other people.
They will be testing as well. Not neccesarily for FHP. You will be there the longest plan on finishing around 3:30. When you finish
you will have an interview with the shrink.

06-17-2006, 01:31 AM
You realize, of course, that there are many who would argue that you must be nuts to want to work for FHP...

:shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll:

06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey, instead of going to Miami and taking that test why don't you apply for a real LEO job with HCSO, or TPD? Trust me you will get sick of crash reports and tickets after about one month on the road. At least real cops get diversity in their day to day activities.

06-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey, instead of going to Miami and taking that test why don't you apply for a real LEO job with HCSO, or TPD? Trust me you will get sick of crash reports and tickets after about one month on the road. At least real cops get diversity in their day to day activities.

You don't write tickets or do accident reports among
your donut duties?

06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Be a real cop! Do NOT join FHP. If you don't mind my asking, why are you choosing the lowest paid most unrespected agency in the state? Everyone will tell you FHP is a mistake. A career in law enforcement is a long time and you should consider other options.

06-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Let's not slam all of FHP. If the this is what this person wants to do then wish him/her luck but word of advice to the FHP wannabe. Always show courtesy to your fellow LEO federal or local. Nobody watches out for us so we have to watch out for eachother. When the krispy kreme (prefer Dunkin Donuts) guy or any other regular joe shows up at my call for backup then I will treat them as I do my fellow LEO brothers. Until that time I will use my discretion to decide if they get a ticket or not. I write the people that should be written and try not to write the average working people.

07-09-2006, 03:01 PM

A real job, Like HCSO or TPD!!! Guys you couldn't be so far from the truth. If you like working within a few blocks of each other holding hands and being confined to a small area working barking dog calls, loud music calls and generating info sheets/incident reports so the real dectectives can clean up your mess, you should consider the city or county. If you want to have to call your supervisor so you can make an arrest because your agency has made so many bad ones, Look up HCSO or TPD! Truthfully, I know your all not jerks, just the loudest ones. Now, if you want to go out and be a real man or woman, make your own decision, make your own arrests from start to finish, handle anything that city or county cop can do and do it anywhere in the state with more authority then FHP is where you need to be. Jealousy is an ugly cologne. Most of the bitterness comes from others who were unwilling to undergo 30 weeks of training, weren't qualified, couldn't pass the polygraph, or just couldn't meet the minimum standards. Cross over classes are only 10 weeks. However, you will still have to man up. Obvisously you guys in HCSO and TPD have a lot of free time, you seem to be the worst and most frequent bashers of the Highway Patrol. Do your job. If I only had arrest powers in that city. Man, Oh thats right I do. For the rest of you respectable city and county cops that have a good working relationship and dont mind seeing a trooper at 3:00AM when you buddies are to busy, I commend you for a job well done and keep safe. To the bitterones, hey man up, tell that trooper to his face when you see him in court or on the street what you really think. We should have an open line of communciation. I'd rather you do that than Pu$$%@ out and kiss my ass in public.

07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I wondered when somebody would so eloquently state the obvious. Thank You for being real. Some people all always so negative and they are not happy unless they're whining. Thanks
Bro for calling a spade a spade.

Be Safe!

07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Good job. You work that DWLS or hit and run all by yourself, without calling your sarge. Congrats! You did a blood draw start to finish without getting help from a detective. You are a skilled, well rounded investigator. Guess what? So do us city and county guys. We are pretty much given the ability to investigate the leads on all of our cases as far as we want, time permitting.

So then, why does FHP call us 9 time out of 10 when they get something as simple as a battery, stolen vehicle or auto burglary. A trooper could jump start a battery just not write a battery report. Anyway the truth is, there are some troopers who are knowledgeable enough to handle a call like that but FHP lacks the smallest resource to properly handle most of these calls...like a print kit. FHP has to use FDLE for crime scenes.

And having worked for FHP I can honestly say that the whole ask your sergeant before you make an arrest and having him up you butt all day is not true. While you do have more autonomy as a trooper, I believe that this is a myth that FHP management spreads to discourage troopers from leaving. There are some major calls that we go on that we have to notify our supervisor. It is not so that they can hold our hands as you represent. It is because our supervisors have logs to fill out for these calls much the FHP shift commander’s log. And, unlike FHP our supervisors don’t have to respond for every time we use force to investigate.

And by the way, I have never been on a barking dog call. As a trooper I did drive a half hour just to “investigate” a disabled vehicle or cows in the road countless times.

07-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Do you like most others of your gender in this proffession, eat the fish taco?

07-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Most of the bitterness comes from others who were unwilling to undergo 30 weeks of training, ...

Thirty weeks of training!!!!

Talk about slow learners.................................

:twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Woow,

Hey dude dont start trashing county and city guys. Deputies have more freedom and authority than any Trooper could only dream of. Remember-Only Sheriff's can serve Warrants in Florida and we can tell you to pound sand as the Sheriff is the Chielf Law Enforcement Officer in every county (67 of them to be exact)

FDOT has more authoity than you and I know for a fact, you can not act outside of your county or even cross a county line without asking for permisson so sell your authority trip to someone else.

Hey try handling a domestic with a gun involved and no back up for fifteen minutes--I wish our guys had deputies as close as you think.

Your a Highway patrol Trooper not a State Police. (Go north if you want that- wayyy North) I take pride in being a DEPUTY SHERIFF and I am in a specialty unit but you are sooo off with how a Florida Sheriff's Office works. We have something called the Florida Sheriff's Task force and believe it or not we do cross county lines.

As for the applicant for FHP, Hey go for it, I have family employed by them and they are a good agency, not my cup of tea but regardless their are other state agencies as youll see each one augments the Sheriffs as Florida Sheriffs are the primary Law Enforcement in our state but the state agencies have their own specialty ie...Wildlife,Traffic,Environmental,Commercial Vehicles,Agriculture and white collar crimes (FDLE). So take your pick. Whatever you do just dont fall into the realm that your god. Your a LEO and take pride in your agency.

Good luck

07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Woow,

Deputies have more freedom and authority than any Trooper could only dream of. Remember-Only Sheriff's can serve Warrants in Florida and we can tell you to pound sand as the Sheriff is the Chielf Law Enforcement Officer in every county (67 of them to be exact)

No offense , but you are not totally correct here. You are right when you say that in Florida the Sheriff is the head honcho. But that doesn't mean that the Deputies are. There is no difference between a Deputy, Trooper, or City officer, other than jurisdiction. A City officer is under no obligation to do anything a Deputy tells him to do. A Trooper is under no obligation to do what a City officer tells him to do, etc, etc. As far as I know, there is no statute that ranks the "authority" of different LEO's.

07-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Woow,

Deputies have more freedom and authority than any Trooper could only dream of. Remember-Only Sheriff's can serve Warrants in Florida and we can tell you to pound sand as the Sheriff is the Chielf Law Enforcement Officer in every county (67 of them to be exact)

Only Sherriffs can serve warrants? Wow somebody better tell my city's Narcotics Team that they're breaking the law every time they serve a warrant!

07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey read the fine print, City officers are enabled but the warrant is served and signed by a Sheriff, look on the bottom of the warrant next time.

07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
No offense , but you are not totally correct here. You are right when you say that in Florida the Sheriff is the head honcho. But that doesn't mean that the Deputies are. There is no difference between a Deputy, Trooper, or City officer, other than jurisdiction. A City officer is under no obligation to do anything a Deputy tells him to do. A Trooper is under no obligation to do what a City officer tells him to do, etc, etc. As far as I know, there is no statute that ranks the "authority" of different LEO's.[/quote].

I am not saying that I am saying that if my Sheriff tells me to work a crime in a city or wherever and another agency ie patrol or whoever is there , The trooper by virtue of statue (Juristdiction meaning the Sheriff is the Chief LE of that county)should obey his command. Im sure they taught you that in the 30 weeks of STATE POLICE training that DHMV puts you through

Realistically you can have all the traffic stuff you want, I prefer to catch burglary,L&P,Drug house or something more beneficial than a short form or long form but hey if that s your gigg,,,knock yourself out.

My point being dont get so caught up in your oooh I can investigate a crash in more than one county. Your only a trooper not a State Police. No disreaspect but its a fact. Hey support your agency and be proud of it but dont start selling realestate that you are something your not. Some of us graduated an acadmy many years ago but not yesterday

07-14-2006, 01:15 AM
My spelling was horrible, I clicked submit before I proof read but you get the point..Stay safe

07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I am glad to see that you all have pride in your respective agency. You should, hopefully your as committed towards that as you are at crime fighting. But as far as Authority, Who really cares. You have as much as Authority as anyone else in your County, City and sometimes state depending on if you are assigned to a task force. A Trooper however does not need special authority to work outside his county and on some occassions can even work outside the state in adjoining states using the same multi-agency multi-state agreements. We routinely have members that reside in counties they do not work and they have never been told not to enforce the laws in that county. As far as crime. Troopers are trained in their 30 week acedemy to do everything and anything that a city or county officer can do. Unfortunately thier primary task is traffic enforcement just the way it was designed. Plus if we did it all you wouldn't have a job. Back before your time there would be only 2-3 officers out a night in a county, sometimes less. One from the state, one from the city and one from the county. They used to depend on one another and shared mutual respect. Your mine is bigger than yours attitude is frightening if it displays the future attitude of Police officers. In a career spaning over 20 years, I have seen and done alot of what you call real police work!! I hate to disappoint you. Been shot at and apprehended well over 900 felons. Mostly drug related, captured bank robbers, armed car jackers, murder suspects, rapist and even purse snatchers to name a few. I had a trooper friend, blown up by a bomb intended for a drug dealer, had some shot during your so called Pu&&y traffic stops and been on the scene of three trooper deaths. All of these jobs are inportant and an intergrial part of keeping the state safe for citizens and are own families and defending what is right and wrong. It is a shame, that mutual respect is not granted or inherited. You say you have to earn it. Well to that I say bull crap. Look at the list of law enforcement officer's killed in the state. You will find familiar faces from all agencies. As for who is the badest agency, who cares. Just do your job. I hate your attitudes but love and respect the job that you do, keep safe and remember. If your that pissed off at a trooper, walk up to him and tell him what you think, dont use this board as a buffer. You might be surprised, you may even have something in common.

07-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I REMEBER A FEW YEARS BACK AT SUNSHINE SPEEDWAY, A COUPLE OF REDNECKS STARTED A FIGHT. THE TWO TROOPERS FLIPPED THEY HAD NO IDEA. LUCKLY THERE WERE TO PPPD OFFICER THERE WITH THE EXPLORER COLOR GUARD. IT WAS NO BIG DEAL BROKE IT UP. THE WAY THE TROOPER CAME RUNNING SO OUR CRUISER YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THE WHOLE TRACK WAS FIGHTING. THE TROOPERS CALLED 10-24. WHO CAME TO THAT CALL? PCSO DID WHY? BECAUSE THERE WERE NO TROOPERS NEAR BY. NOW MY QESTION IS THIS I KEEP SEEING MORE AND MORE FHP CSO AT SIGNAL 4'S. SO WHAT IN THE HELL ARE THE TROOPERS DOING N0W? TO BE HONEST IF YOU JOIN A LOCAL PD OR S.O. YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING AS FHP. JUST GET INTO THE TRAFFIC OR DUI UNITS. HOWEVER WHEN YOU GET TIRED OF THE BLUE FORMS YOU CAN GO BACK TO ANSWERING CALLS. LIKE ARMED ROBBERIES, BURGLARY,THEFT,DOMESTIC, FIGHTS. YEAH THERE ARE ALWAYS BS CALLS. HOWEVER WORKING LOCALY YOU WILL HAVE A HELL OF A LOT OF BACK UP NEVER MORE THAN A MILE AWAY. YOU CAN ALSO GO TO GANK TASK FORCE AND VICE DETECTIVE, TRANNING, MOTOR,MARINE.

07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
I am glad to see that you all have pride in your respective agency. You should, hopefully your as committed towards that as you are at crime fighting. But as far as Authority, Who really cares. You have as much as Authority as anyone else in your County, City and sometimes state depending on if you are assigned to a task force. A Trooper however does not need special authority to work outside his county and on some occassions can even work outside the state in adjoining states using the same multi-agency multi-state agreements. We routinely have members that reside in counties they do not work and they have never been told not to enforce the laws in that county. As far as crime. Troopers are trained in their 30 week acedemy to do everything and anything that a city or county officer can do. Unfortunately thier primary task is traffic enforcement just the way it was designed. Plus if we did it all you wouldn't have a job. Back before your time there would be only 2-3 officers out a night in a county, sometimes less. One from the state, one from the city and one from the county. They used to depend on one another and shared mutual respect. Your mine is bigger than yours attitude is frightening if it displays the future attitude of Police officers. In a career spaning over 20 years, I have seen and done alot of what you call real police work!! I hate to disappoint you. Been shot at and apprehended well over 900 felons. Mostly drug related, captured bank robbers, armed car jackers, murder suspects, rapist and even purse snatchers to name a few. I had a trooper friend, blown up by a bomb intended for a drug dealer, had some shot during your so called Pu&&y traffic stops and been on the scene of three trooper deaths. All of these jobs are inportant and an intergrial part of keeping the state safe for citizens and are own families and defending what is right and wrong. It is a shame, that mutual respect is not granted or inherited. You say you have to earn it. Well to that I say bull crap. Look at the list of law enforcement officer's killed in the state. You will find familiar faces from all agencies. As for who is the badest agency, who cares. Just do your job. I hate your attitudes but love and respect the job that you do, keep safe and remember. If your that pissed off at a trooper, walk up to him and tell him what you think, dont use this board as a buffer. You might be surprised, you may even have something in common.

Hey great, you can apprehend a felon but I have 17 years on the job and Im happy to say I have never been shot but I have been in one shoot in my career and hope I dont again but as far as two or three troopers in a county. I remember when it was the the same way so Im well aware of no back up days. As far as attitudes. I have nothing but repect for Highway Patrol Troopers but maybe you forget back before yours and my time, It was called the Florida Sheriffs bureau of Law Enforcement which later became FDLE and then Sheriffs Offices were created. We never had a State Police and I dont forsee it ever happening before I retire So trust me Im not worried about DHSMV div of FHP taking over primary law enforcement.

You mention mutual respect from agencies. I agree but the patrol has brought that on themselves because you have not schooled your rookies, I can only hope that changes because I can see the patrol loosing more repspect than ever if that doesnt change. These guys get so caught up in traffic infractions and forget about the big picture, A law Enforcement family. I just read an article of where a trooper write a Manatee deputy for running a red light in a emergency and the trooper cited them. I guess thats what they get for not working their own stuff now the guy who was doing his job will get his 118.00 ticket and now a crash review board face suspension or hinderance of promtion or raises. Talk about double jeoppordy. I would much rather take the tick because a crash review board will hinder my full promotion and thats a LOT more than 118.00

Point being The trooper could of given a crash report and x8

02-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Octomom says hey

02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
To the deputy telling the FHP guys of their restrictions, I need a favor:

Can you tell me the law or policy that says that only deputies can serve warrants?
Also, where does it say a Trooper has to ask for permission when outside their county?

I am just not familiar with these two rules and I am smelling something.

02-27-2009, 04:24 AM
To the deputy telling the FHP guys of their restrictions, I need a favor:

Can you tell me the law or policy that says that only deputies can serve warrants?
Also, where does it say a Trooper has to ask for permission when outside their county?

I am just not familiar with these two rules and I am smelling something.

Im not the deputy but I can tell you that any police officer within the state can serve a warrant. A trooper does not have to ask for permission outside of their county due to statewide jurisdiction. If they get into something that will be time consuming or very in depth, a supervisor may have the trooper turn whatever he is doing over to another trooper from that district to manage manpower.

02-27-2009, 06:03 AM
There is one thing a deputy can tell a trooper, take the prisioner to your house as we won't accept him at the jail.

02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
If I only had arrest powers in that city. Man, Oh thats right I do.

Wow, get those DWLS arrest under your belt. The rookie prosecutor has to get 100 convictions before the state attorney will let him handle real criminal cases.

For the rest of you respectable city and county cops that have a good working relationship and dont mind seeing a trooper at 3:00AM when you buddies are to busy.

Stop the comedy! The day Tampa or HCSO calls FHP for a back up will be the day the earth ends. Its usually the other way around. FHP needs a back up, FHP is to busy to take that crash they want us to take it for them. Boo hoo

Want to know your worth, If they disbanded your agency tomorrow would anyone notice? NO! If they disbanded TPD or HCSO would someone notice, without a doubt there would be total mayhem!

I'm not here to bash FHP, I did the job once, but your comments are so off the mark its borderline outright lies.

02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
To those of you who think Troopers can not serve warrants: There is a book call the Florida State Statute Book that says FHP can serve warrants. If you want the number I will be more than happy to put it on the website. We went through this with the Sheriff's Office where I am at and GUESS WHAT,,,,,, They were wrong and we were right. I am friends with most of the Deputies here in my county. I even worked at the SO for some years. I am sooooo glad the SO here doesn't act the way some of the others do on this site. We all have a job to do, whether it be traffic or thefts or anything else. Just remember that for a change. :roll:

02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Let us not forget the 45,000 deaths on the U.S. roadways every year, compared to the 16,000 homicides in the U.S. every year. Traffic enforcement is an essential part of survival on the road.

02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Let us not forget the 45,000 deaths on the U.S. roadways every year, compared to the 16,000 homicides in the U.S. every year. Traffic enforcement is an essential part of survival on the road.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/guitaratomik/random/FAT-KoolAid.jpg

02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
There is one thing a deputy can tell a trooper, take the prisioner to your house as we won't accept him at the jail.

You better have a good reason for saying that to any officer or you could end up there with him.

02-27-2009, 09:06 PM

You better have a good reason for saying that to any officer or you could end up there with him.

Very True!

839.21 Refusal to receive prisoner.--Any jailer or other officer, who willfully refuses to receive into the jail or into her or his custody a prisoner lawfully directed to be committed thereto on a criminal charge or conviction, or any lawful process whatever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

02-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Very True!

839.21 Refusal to receive prisoner.--Any jailer or other officer, who willfully refuses to receive into the jail or into her or his custody a prisoner lawfully directed to be committed thereto on a criminal charge or conviction, or any lawful process whatever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Good luck with that statute. If that was the case i'd be taking the damm jail nurses to jail every night. Oh he's got a ingrown toenail...we can't accept him...sorry.