PDA

View Full Version : Professional Courtesy

06-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Please.. in the future do your best and extend professional courtesy to all LEO' that YOU pull over.

08-18-2006, 07:07 AM
It's easy to fall under the eye for an eye, but is it nessary and will it teach the individual a lesson??? Or do you lead by example.

Any thoughts??

08-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on extending professional courtesy to EMS and Fire personnel? I am a LEO in Florida and we have trouble with cops giving cops tickets, though mainly it is with the Troopers. I do not (generally) write EMS or Fire personnel because I never know when I may need one of them to help me. I am just curious as to the attitude and ideas with your agency. Be safe out there.

Sysop
08-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Glad to see this Message Board being used. However, I just deleted 2 messages slamming an officer for giving cops tickets. For those of you who keep it professional in here and adhere to our Terms of Use, thankyou! For those who don't, your posting will be deleted and you access banned. Thanks for your support!

11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
to the guys in law enforcement don't put yourself were a trooper has to stop you you need to show example not set your self up for failure it looks bad on your dept. weather in virginia or out of state you should be ashamed to use your BADGE to try and get out of a ticket when you know better the troopers are just doing there job like you when you are on DUTY

04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I was issued a ticket by a VSP Trooper two years ago. I did show my Police ID but it didn't matter. Up north, cops don't write cops tickets! Period! When you're getting your A** kicked on the side of the highway, who do you think is going to stop. I sure will because were supposed to be a brotherhood. You wouldn't write a family member a ticket would you? If you would then you're an idiot. Anyway, I have been shot at, assaulted etc all while protecting and serving so I don't think its a big deal to be given a break on a speeding ticket. Those are the only laws I would ever violate. Now guys, don't tell me you guys don't violate traffic laws either. Any VSP troopers I stop in my jursidiction are immediately written for every single violation I can find. As far as I'm concerned, they are no longer in the brotherhood. PS. I paid my ticket and I'm sure that money went right into the tax coffers.

04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
You are so right, The brotherhood seems to be found up north. I can not believe some of the officers that are down here and would write their own mothers. Florida my be a great place to work, but the brotherhood is up there.

Thank for letting me vent.

Be safe

05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
MANNNNNNNNNNN I HAVE TO AGREE I HAVE A HEAVY FOOT AND I STILL WOULD NOT WRITE A FELLOW OFFICER . THOSE THAT WOULD NEED TO LIKTEN UP. JUST LIKE A FRIEND OF MINE STOPPED A DRUNKEN DRIVER AND CALLED HIM A CAB................ NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT BUT WHEN HE STOPPED A COP AND CALLED HIM A CAB ALL OF A SUDDEN WE ARE GIVING FAVORS??????? THIS WORLD IS FULL OF DIRTBAGS THAT ARE OUT THERE TRYING TO HURT US ,,, I GUESS I AM SAYING DANM TAKE CARE OF YOUR BROTHER/SISTER THEY ARE ALL WE HAVE. YOU DISGRESSION IS ALLL YOURSSS ,,,, THE GOOD LORD HAS GIVEN EVERYONE THAT MOST PRESIOUS POWER " A CHOICE".

06-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I had a Virginia State Trooper stop me for 84 in a 65 on the State Highway. There is no excuse for my behavior but lets face it, speed is part of our everyday life and sometimes it just happens.

Finding out that I was a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Florida, Trooper Crowder just smiled. To add insult to injury, he issued me a mandatory court case knowing the implications and departmental hardships this type of action would cause me.

Thank you Trooper Crowder I have now had the pleasure to come into contact with the only officer in the USA who has never exceeded the speed limit. Or is it I came into contact with an insecure power hungry individual who became a police officer only because he knew the badge could protect him. I have my opinion but only Trooper Crowder will know the true answer.

Remember, one of these days you are going to accidentally stop a real bad guy and you may learn the importance of needing another LEO. You may learn that the badge isn’t the power, it’s the brotherhood that comes with it.

I just want all Virginia State Troopers to know that I will still stop and help you when you are in need but if you have the same mental attitude as Trooper Crowder please remember this. If you ever in South Florida and you see me fighting for my life on the side of the road do me a favor and just keep driving. I understand the bad guys, I just don't understand you.

The funny part about this is that last month, I had a Sergeant from Virginia State Police contact me for professional courtesy for several parking citations he received within my jurisdiction. Being a 35 year veteran of Law Enforcement I extended the proper courtesy.
I find it strange that VSP expect courtesy but don't extend it.

06-21-2007, 01:19 AM
I was issued a ticket by a VSP Trooper two years ago. I did show my Police ID but it didn't matter. Up north, cops don't write cops tickets! Period! When you're getting your A** kicked on the side of the highway, who do you think is going to stop. I sure will because were supposed to be a brotherhood. You wouldn't write a family member a ticket would you? If you would then you're an idiot. Anyway, I have been shot at, assaulted etc all while protecting and serving so I don't think its a big deal to be given a break on a speeding ticket. Those are the only laws I would ever violate. Now guys, don't tell me you guys don't violate traffic laws either. Any VSP troopers I stop in my jursidiction are immediately written for every single violation I can find. As far as I'm concerned, they are no longer in the brotherhood. PS. I paid my ticket and I'm sure that money went right into the tax coffers.

You're an idiot.

06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
To add insult to injury, he issued me a mandatory court case knowing the implications and departmental hardships this type of action would cause me.

You said it... MANDATORY. It is the law in VA, Reckless Driving, you MUST appear before the judge. Only one way to avoid going to court... Stop breaking the law...

And if you get caught... don't come here and whine.

06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
To add insult to injury, he issued me a mandatory court case knowing the implications and departmental hardships this type of action would cause me.

You said it... MANDATORY. It is the law in VA, Reckless Driving, you MUST appear before the judge. Only one way to avoid going to court... Stop breaking the law...

You idiots are just tail light chasing wannabe cops who couldn't make it in a real police agency. You are also the same idiots who reach out for a favor when then you screw up. I agree with cop-cop. You are not a police agency you are a bunch of idiots who believe that chasing tail lights is really police work.

06-21-2007, 01:17 PM

You missed this part "The funny part about this is that last month, I had a Sergeant from Virginia State Police contact me for professional courtesy for several parking citations he received within my jurisdiction. Being a 35 year veteran of Law Enforcement I extended the proper courtesy".

So it appears that the Virginia State Police are also the whiners. March58609 appears to be more the professional as he did extend the courtesy even after the non-courtesy issued him by the Virginia State Patrol.

01-28-2008, 01:39 AM
You traffic nazi's are unbelievable, the reason officer discretion is allowed for traffic offenses is becuase they are minor and everyone on occasion does it. To hammer a fellow LEO for minor traffic and knowing how it will also impact them at their place of employment is inexcusable. All you guys that write fellow LEO's missed their calling and should of joined the FBI, a bunch of back stabbing rats.

04-11-2008, 01:41 AM
I agree
You're an idiot.

09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Being retired from VSP I have to comment here. First, anyone with law enforcement powers has no right to put the Trooper in that position. He is only doing his job, doing what he is being paid to do. Many times I have warned out of state police officers when it was deserved, just like any citizen. But there is a line that can be crossed. Lets think a minute. Why are the laws there in the first place. To saves lives and property. I'm sorry that some of you have received tickets from Virginia Troopers, and like any department, we have our black sheep like any other department out there. But come on, you break the law that you yourself are sworn to uphold. Do all a favor. Respect yourself, your family and your love ones and don't get out there and break any laws in the first place and all will be well and you will get home alive.

10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
I also found out what brotherhood means to the VSP. It took me all these years to find Mr. Squeeky Clean (AKA Deel). I was appalled more at his attitude than his writing me a manditory. He was everything I told my rookies not to be. He would prpbably pee himself if he was face to face with a criminal. I'm 35 years on the job still doing real police work.

08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I would never write another cop a ticket, UNLESS that cop acted like total **** head during the stop. If you beg me for a ticket by acting like a douche then your going to get one.

09-10-2009, 02:30 AM
If you look at most of the state police/patrol forums from around the country on this board, it is interesting that you will find the same types of posts as this one. In fact, you could just as easily swap the state agencies' names around and the reads, complaints, responses, etc. will all pretty much be the same. Why does it seem then that in most of the posts on these state police/patrol forums the troopers seem to be doing nothing other than stopping deputies/officers/agents, etc. and citing them or their family members? I KNOW there are troopers and their family members that have been written by these other entities but you rarely see them on the county or municipal OR state agencies' forums complaining about a citation they got. I have seen the comment "It must be a trooper thing" but if so, then it begs the question: Is doing things to get yourself stopped and cited a deputy/officer/agent thing? And there have to be as many or more stories about these deputies/officers/agents and their family members getting warnings from troopers (even rides home or having one called after having one too many or a criminal traffic violation, perhaps?) as there are stories about them getting cited. Where are they? If THAT many deputies/officers/agents aren't on our boards for any reason other than to gripe about a ticket they or their family member got then maybe troopers should start a thread about the deputy/officer/agent/doctor/nurse/firefighter/corrections officer/military serviceman, etc., or their family member that they did give a break to that day. And SINCE some of these same deputies/officers/agents have the audacity to come on to our boards and start a thread with the NAME of the trooper that wrote them, then maybe troopers should START NAMING THE DEPUTY/OFFICER/AGENT AND THEIR AGENCY OR THE NAME OF THEIR FAMILY MEMBER they gave a break to along with the violation they were NOT cited for that day. We would only do it, of course, because we know that SO MANY of you deputies/officers/agents and your families have read many of these attacking posts and have been meaning to do it for such a LONG time now, but just haven't gotten around to letting others know that most troopers are not all like that. Right? Riiiiight.

12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Well it’s just not the VSP that do not extend Professional Courtesy. Last night as I was traveling South on I-81 I had the great pleasure of meeting Deputy Wimer (Badge 27) of Rockbridge County SO. I understand that I was 14 over in a 65. This is the first time I have been stopped for ANY violation since becoming a LEO and also I have never had any type of moving violation in the 15 years I have been driving. I understand we use fines to remind us to obey traffic laws but, as a traffic officer, I know that everyone from time to time just needs a verbal reminder to get the point across. I could see if my driving history was full of violations I would be warranted a citation, but Mr. Wimer felt the need to issue a citation anyways. I can honestly say that I also do not write people for 14 over on a divided four-lane highway, I refuse to write people for the things I also do from time to time. During my many travels north to visit family I set my cruise control for the 14 over mark. I have passed many VSP, Deputies, and City Officers that don’t even look twice. Most of us know that most LEO stop vehicles at the 15-mile per hour over mark. I can bet one year’s salary that Mr. Wimer has had his POV 14 mph over the speed limit and has himself been given a Professional Courtesy. I hate to be just a mark on the belt of the LEO’s Mr. Wimer has cited, but of course now I am.
I know as LEO we are all not perfect in our POV’s. During my course of being a Traffic Officer I have stopped at least 75 police officers. All of them left with a warning, and I have not had any repeat Offenders. I will pay the ticket of course because Mr. Wimer felt the need to impose a fine with his personal discretion, which we all have. Have I changed my stance on extending my Professional Courtesy? No, because I know that across the U.S. there are plenty of great LEOs that just need a reminder from time to time. Why take it out on them, I just had the luck of getting the bad apple last night. Thanks Deputy!

03-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Years ago, when I was a federal agent working in DC, one of my guys was driving back from Williamsburg about eleven at night with no other traffic on the road when he was stopped by a Virginia State Trooper for speeding. The passenger in the car, who was also an agent, pointed out to the trooper that WE were the people who he could count on to stop and give aid if we ever saw him or any trooper in distress because we shared the brotherhood of the badge.

The trooper replied that "Around DC everyone has a badge. If we didn't write them we wouldn't be writing many tickets." Then he wrote the ticket.

-------------------------

My own experience was when the VSP Headquarters granted federal agents in unmarked cars to drive in the HOV lane even if there was only one person in the car if we put our red light on the dashboard. The troopers greatly resented this permission.

One morning I was enroute to work in the HOV lane, going about 8 mph over the limit. A VSP trooper pulled up behind me and tailgated me, apparently intending to intimidate me into slowing down. He did not stop me.

A couple of days later the agent in charge of my office told me that the trooper had called the office to complain about me. He lied about how fast I was going and claimed that the only reason he did not stop me was that he was late for court. I had my speedometer checked and verified that the speed I was going was correct. His attempt to get me in trouble with my boss failed. My boss also used the HOV lane to go to work in the mornings and also knew that the troopers resented our use of the lane.

----------------------------------

One afternoon one of the agents who worked for me was driving home when he felt an overpowering headache. For safety's sake he pulled off onto the shoulder of the road to rest for a few minutes to see if it would pass.

A VSP trooper stopped behind him and approached to see what was wrong. My agent showed his badge and explained that he had a terrible headache and had stopped to be safe. He felt the headache would pass soon. THE TROOPER MADE HIM BLOW AN ALCOHOL BREATH TEST. When the agent passed the test with a reading of NO ALCOHOL the trooper made no offer to give further assistance, but got back in his car and drove off. Disappointed, no doubt, that he was unable to arrest a federal agent.

---------------------------

Sadly, I have no respect for VSP troopers. They are a sorry lot.

:?

surfnow
05-11-2013, 02:53 PM

I used to be with VSP and originally from the North and a good portion of the cops from up north blow through Virginia, then flip their badges out, with an attitude right from the start of being pulled over. I had NYPD come through at 95 and when I put my lights on, all I saw were badges pushed up against the rear window and the driver accelerated. Needeless to say I chewed him for it. This behavior is unacceptable and I wouldnt dare pull this if I was ever stopped in another area. Its unprofessional. Lets reverse the situation and I did this in your area, would you put up with it?

I only wrote ONE LEO a summons and it was an accident because I was not aware she was a LEO until after the stop. On several occassions I had heard about VSP being notorious about writing cops tickets, and I know of only a couple of people that have or will. To be honest i can understand why now after making the stops myself as to why they do