PDA

View Full Version : FHP's x94 Policy

06-12-2006, 11:10 PM
On Sunday, a dayshift patrol unit attempted to stop a vehicle on the interstate traveling at a high rate of speed. We (Comm) were advised to notify FHP to assist. When the dispatcher contacted FHP, they were told that they will NOT assist the SSO in this incident. The FHP dispatcher, D/O Griffiths, advised that " when you have the vehicle stopped call back and we will send someone to the scene." Apparently FHP will not x94 you if you are involved in a pursuit or attempting to catch a vehicle. Eventually, the vehicle stopped and everything was ok. Then FHP called us (Comm) back and told us that they have their aircraft in the area if we needed them. I guess the issue of MUTUAL AID is out the window.

Use this information as you may.

06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
For the most part, FHP has a "no pursuit police." When SSO dispatch called FHP, the FHP dispatcher probably thought that it was a pursuit and, subsequently, they refused to send a trooper to assist. However, they were obviously willing to send a chopper to assist because they can't be held liable if the fleeing felon crashes and injures a citizen.

Why should we even bother pursuing anyone anymore??? Let the insurance companies work it out!!!

06-13-2006, 03:11 AM
I dont think a no pursuit policy is the issue. I think that help was requested and yet again patrol was let down by fhp. As far as the chopper is concerned they dont have one, they have an airplane. Second, if they are not going to send a patrol car, what makes us think they sent an airplane? They can barely send a unit to a dispatched sg4...

06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Everybody knows that FHP has some serious problems. Can you name just one (1) state agency that isn't f*cked up? :roll:

No offense intended. It's not the fault of the state employees.

06-13-2006, 04:58 PM
FHP is worthless, should be disbanded and the manpower allocated to the Sheriff's Offices in the state - which will never happen. They say there are no troopers x8 for a crash but yet I pass one on the interstate running radar on more than one occassion. They are really going to feel bad if we are pursuing someone, they fail to back us up (if they are the closest) and a cop dies from something. Its ashame that they are going to wait till something like that happens before they change the policy.

06-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Heck i was traveling down university probably 2 weeks ago tuesday at about midnight fhp was flying up and down chasing a car on university........ u run they will chase saw it with my own eyes east west bound about 2 different times the car turned back around

06-16-2006, 01:38 AM
They dont back up their own people, and then we wonder when a Bridge get's named after one of us :x

06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Good point !!!

06-17-2006, 07:36 PM
the state of florida's criminal justice and leo agencies are all srewed up. they have no money.

06-17-2006, 07:42 PM
the state of florida's criminal justice and leo agencies are all srewed up. they have no money.As long as Florida does not have a state income tax, then our state agencies will remain underfunded and understaffed.

Florida's growing economy is based on growth. As long as people want to come to Florida, then land values will continue to rise, which means more taxes will go into county and city coffers.

06-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Tax won't help. Remember the lottery scam? Billions to education, true but what they did is stopped providing an equal amount from the budget. Let's say that the state used to allot 500 million in education, the lottery came along and brought in 250 million and this went to education, well the state then dropped it's usual alloted 500 million to 250 million!!! Scam!!! Same thing would happen with LEO agencies SHORT END OF THE STICK

06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
As long as Florida does not have a state income tax, then our state agencies will remain underfunded and understaffed.

Florida's growing economy is based on growth. As long as people want to come to Florida, then land values will continue to rise, which means more taxes will go into county and city coffers.If the State of Florida ever quits becoming a boomtown, then the system will collapse. I figure the state has about another 25 years before an income tax will have to be required. As long as the state is growing with development and building and rising land values, we're okay.

06-18-2006, 12:51 PM
you know the state has problems when senior troopers come to sso and make more money. :roll:

06-18-2006, 02:01 PM
If you have not noticed other state's that have had income
taxation programs have the same issues as Florida. Your 25 year prediction is just stupid! Florida, Texas and Tennessee
get their revenues a different way. Do you think for a minute
if a state income tax is enacted all the funding issues will go away? Do not hold your breath! Public service in any state has
funding issues, otherwise the revenue sucking unions would not
have anything to line up for. The money is there in every state
it just comes down to allocation priorities.

06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Write tickets and work crashes. GEE, thats a job we all do every day at the local and city level. May as well consolidate somehow! Where there is a will, there is a way!

06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Write tickets and work crashes. GEE, thats a job we all do every day at the local and city level. May as well consolidate somehow! Where there is a will, there is a way!If we eliminate FHP, then we will be the only state in the union without a state patrol -- and then Florida would be the laughingstock of the rest of the country for doing that. You can rest assured that that will never happen. FHP remains a "token agency" that has always been underfunded by the legislature and always will be underfunded because nobody really likes the FHP, as is evidenced by the legislatures refusal to adequately fund it, but at least we can say that we have a highway patrol. I agree with you that FHP (and the rest of our state agencies) have some serious problems, but we will never get rid of the highway patrol!!!!

06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Dont blame the duty officer. FHP has a "no balls" pursuit policy. They can only chase for a "forcible felony" i.e. armed robbery or murder. Even if it isnt a pursuit the brass will take the position "if it sounds like it COULD be a pursuit it is...sign your L.O.C. here." Anyway, if she would have sent a trooper the shift commander would have been programed to cancel the unit. A good duty officer could have however said "for signal 14 ONLY, the county is trying to get someone stopped at whatever location." Anyway, my point is to not blame the troopers or duty officers. They work for an agency that they are well aware will burn them in a heart beat for the appearance of breaking the "no balls" pursuit policy. Yet another reason why I wear another uniform.