PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hour Shifts

06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok, word is out that October starts the 12 hour shifts plan but the bid will be in December. From what I hear, the shifts will be 6p-6a , vice versa and that there will be some sort of in-between shifts as well as possible a relief squad of 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I guess someone was right awhile back. I dont know what to think - as a patrol Sgt, this is going to kill my family.

Someone tell me something different?

06-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Ok, word is out that October starts the 12 hour shifts plan but the bid will be in December. From what I hear, the shifts will be 6p-6a , vice versa and that there will be some sort of in-between shifts as well as possible a relief squad of 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I guess someone was right awhile back. I dont know what to think - as a patrol Sgt, this is going to kill my family.

Someone tell me something different?Larry Dunklee came into evening shift patrol-briefing and told us that it's a stupid rumor that keeps getting re-circulated and he said it's not true.

Next up.

06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
[quote="peter poppins":1m9ux1ev]Ok, word is out that October starts the 12 hour shifts plan but the bid will be in December. From what I hear, the shifts will be 6p-6a , vice versa and that there will be some sort of in-between shifts as well as possible a relief squad of 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I guess someone was right awhile back. I dont know what to think - as a patrol Sgt, this is going to kill my family.

Someone tell me something different?Larry Dunklee came into evening shift patrol-briefing and told us that it's a stupid rumor that keeps getting re-circulated and he said it's not true.

Next up.[/quote:1m9ux1ev]

Gee, gonna believe everything Larry Dunklee says? Ever hear of a shortage you moron? Think they want more people leaving before the plan is implemented?

You're a genius...

06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Gee, gonna believe everything Larry Dunklee says? Ever hear of a shortage you moron? Think they want more people leaving before the plan is implemented?

You're a genius...Well now you're being sarcastic, but to answer your question, yes, I believe Larry Dunklee when he came to evening shift briefing and said that we aren't going to 12 hour shifts, in answer to Lou Clemento's direct question to him about this issue. He has no reason to lie. :?

Besides, everybody is already happy with 10 hour days. :mrgreen:

However, if we go to 12 hour days, then we'll get 3 days off in a row. Doh!!! We already have that!!! :lol:

06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, 12 hour shifts will ruin most families. 10 hour shifts are long enough, work just fine and you still get 3 days off. There are already 6 people in various bureaus on the bubble with other jobs right now that are leaving because of pay and the rumor of 12 hour shifts. Why wait to see if it is true/not true when you can look elsewhere for a better paying job? They are all happy to get out of here. If 12 hour shifts do happen for some reason, i am sure there will be a lot more than 6 on the bubble.

04-14-2011, 01:52 AM
These are great! Best desicion they have ever made!!

04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Working 10 hr days you work 17.3 days a month. Working 12 hr days you work 15.2 days a month. Also you get an 84 hr pay period rather than a 80 hr pay period. Also if scheduled right you get every other weekend off. That's 8.7 hrs of pay per month more guaranteed. Now all you have to do is to make sure you get 12 hr pay for holidays. I worked 10 hrs shifts my whole carreer at another agency and have gone 9 months without a weekend off. And never could schedule anything more than a month ahead not knowing what my schedule would be. With 12 hr shifts you know what your days off are well in advanced and can schedule vacations and family functions. 12 hrs shifts are well worth the 2 extra hrs a day of work. Try it you'll like it.

04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
You idiot this is from 2006...NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
:oops:

04-17-2011, 03:36 PM
I know this is an old thread that someone just dug up but there was an article recently in the SH-T along these lines. Something that I am sure was not looked at when the 12 hour shifts was implemented is the topic of the article.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110412/ARTICLE/110419928/2059/LIVING?Title=Health-in-short-Long-work-hours-may-cause-heart-problems