PDA

View Full Version : Out on a home visit

06-09-2006, 03:50 AM
You see your case in a neighbors yard, he has a active warrant for a violent sex offense, he runs. Do you just call the police or do you chase? Bet a officer is in trouble for chasing this offender.

Darth Duck
06-10-2006, 12:46 AM
What a silly question. Do you have a plan C? Maybe a combination of both?

06-10-2006, 01:15 AM
I would chase and try to tackle a sex offender and dont care what Circuit or Region says afterwards - other offenders I would just call the police and watch them run.

06-10-2006, 05:02 AM
If you have to ask this question, I cannot imagine how terrible this agency really is, in terms of effectiveness. holy shi*.

06-10-2006, 01:39 PM
If you have to ask this question, I cannot imagine how terrible this agency really is, in terms of effectiveness. holy shi*.

we are not issued firearms or that stuff - and only have cell phones with no backup. We are not like the local Sheriff office - is an 115 lb. female unarmed supposed to try and physically stop a 200 lb. man from running away ?

Darth Duck
06-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Why would you go to a sex offender's house that has an active warrant alone if you thought there would be trouble? Ask the detectives in Broward who were serving a "routine" warrant and got shot for their effort. There was much discussion of why they would attempt the arrest without the special operations unit and/or more back up. You can yell at me all you want but if you chase an offender with an active warrant who is actively fleeing from you by yourself you are an idiot.

06-10-2006, 04:33 PM
It depends on the situation. I will chase someone if circumstances are right. I would never go to a house with someone that has a warrant without some kind of mental prep. If I knew the offender new that he had an active warrant I would get on the phone or radio and call for assistance. I would then do my best to take that person into custody. If the warrant was not known about by the offender, I would leave and then come back with assistance. Each situation is different but knew not place policy before public safety. Bottom line, use common sense.

06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Why would you go to a sex offender's house that has an active warrant alone if you thought there would be trouble? Ask the detectives in Broward who were serving a "routine" warrant and got shot for their effort. There was much discussion of why they would attempt the arrest without the special operations unit and/or more back up. You can yell at me all you want but if you chase an offender with an active warrant who is actively fleeing from you by yourself you are an idiot.

How would you feel if that 150 lb. unarmed sex offender molested a child the next day after you had a chance to grab and handcuff him there until the police arrived ?

Darth Duck
06-10-2006, 08:20 PM
As usual you miss the point. Prepare for the arrest as policy states. I would feel worse having to explain to your significant other that you got your head blown off than the chance that he may re-offend. That could happen at anytime. Have you ever tried to handcuff an irate inmate or one that is punching you in the face? Do you think you can restrain a guy by yourself? They always seem to have alot of friends around if you do happen to get them cuffed. I am not saying you walk away and say Oh, he ran, forget about it. You contact LEO who have radio's,dogs and helicopters and have them assist you. My point is that it does not make tactical sense to just pursue a guy.

06-10-2006, 08:38 PM
As usual you miss the point. Prepare for the arrest as policy states. I would feel worse having to explain to your significant other that you got your head blown off than the chance that he may re-offend. That could happen at anytime. Have you ever tried to handcuff an irate inmate or one that is punching you in the face? Do you think you can restrain a guy by yourself? They always seem to have alot of friends around if you do happen to get them cuffed. I am not saying you walk away and say Oh, he ran, forget about it. You contact LEO who have radio's,dogs and helicopters and have them assist you. My point is that it does not make tactical sense to just pursue a guy.

My point is if the person falls within the range of someone you could restrain then you should. Obviously if you were 150 lb. and he was a built 200 lb. person it wouldnt be prudent, but if someone like Couey you just let run away would make you wrong in my opinion and deserving of any complaints the family of a victim made if that let him reoffend again.

06-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Well we were told do not chase!!!! So run lassie run!!!

06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
you all are clowns , just stop pretending to be real leo's and start filing your paperwork. i would leave the real work to the pro's.

06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
if a sex offender runs form you call the police or sheriff so they can catch him. they have the resourses and training to deal with the apprehending of a person. they can get the dogs out and helicopter and set a perimeter etc. :lol:

06-11-2006, 01:26 PM
if a sex offender runs form you call the police or sheriff so they can catch him. they have the resourses and training to deal with the apprehending of a person. they can get the dogs out and helicopter and set a perimeter etc. :lol:

that works about what 50% of the time

06-11-2006, 01:39 PM
i would do what we are told to do call 911 and let the area sheriff office address the incident. i am not a law enforcement officer i am a correctional probation officer big difference. a correctional officer is also not a law enfrcement officer (thats why we have 3 certifications in fla). the police and sheriff office can and will handle the situation. :lol:

06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
DAMNED IF YO DO, DAMNED IF YOU DON'T.

07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I've served a number of Warrants in the field and to date fortunately all ended without major incidents. One subject did jump out a window and was eventually arrested after foot persuit. Here's how to do it.
A. Get a true copy of the warrant and the DC face sheet off the website.
B. Go to a location that you will not be seen by neighbors or the subject and contact police/sheriff dispatch. Gas stations and restaurants are good because it will be easier for police/sheriff to locate you.
C. Provide the case history, warrant, face sheets, lay out of the residence, and anything you would want to know (dogs, children, family).
D. Follow police/sheriff to residence, ASSIST them and follow THEIR directions; they have tactical command of the situation.
E. You can provide valuable assistance watching family, friends, animals while they arrest/process the subject.
F. Leave when the police/sheriff leave; you don't have to provide public relations to anyone and your back-up has already left.
G. Common sense. Common sense. Common sense.

07-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I've served a number of Warrants in the field and to date fortunately all ended without major incidents. One subject did jump out a window and was eventually arrested after foot persuit. Here's how to do it.
A. Get a true copy of the warrant and the DC face sheet off the website.
B. Go to a location that you will not be seen by neighbors or the subject and contact police/sheriff dispatch. Gas stations and restaurants are good because it will be easier for police/sheriff to locate you.
C. Provide the case history, warrant, face sheets, lay out of the residence, and anything you would want to know (dogs, children, family).
D. Follow police/sheriff to residence, ASSIST them and follow THEIR directions; they have tactical command of the situation.
E. You can provide valuable assistance watching family, friends, animals while they arrest/process the subject.
F. Leave when the police/sheriff leave; you don't have to provide public relations to anyone and your back-up has already left.
G. Common sense. Common sense. Common sense.

I will not call the police to the residence until I know the wanted person is there because 70% of the time they are not there if they have violated. A few times of doing that most cops would get ticked and not want to respond to the officer's vacant house calls. Maybe if you were in an area where you don't have to have too many picked up that would be alright but not if you have a lot to get picked up. The only exception I would make is if I considered the person a definate threat to myself. I am not going to call the cops to empty houses too often.

07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I wish I had the time to chase down absconders. My days and nights are filled reporting; finding my active cases at home; employment notifications; treatment contacts; pc arrests in the office; psi; other state invests; the two pages of closed cops accounts I have to have researched by the end of the month; restoring civil rights (after I waste a half a day in training); getting my fingerprints done for circuit because apparently they've changed in the ten years I've worked here; endless violation reports; four subpoenas this month alone; preparing my files for the case analysts who cry when they aren't in a empty office three weeks before they show up; oh, and did I mention trying to see my own dopo (50...all max) cases in the field? Where in the world would I find the time to chase down an absconder?

Nope, sorry, that's not going to find my ass up in circuit; not making my contacts, completing this cops list, doing my civil rights restorations, my psi, my o/s investigation, showing up for court, attending training, getting my fingerprints taken, and getting my vops completed will. Hmmm, tough choice on how I'm going to spend my month.

07-07-2007, 03:06 AM
won't go there in the first place. Yeah, he has an active warrant. Yeah, I know what policy states. A drive-by AP will work for me.

07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
and you'll get your 100%

07-07-2007, 05:49 PM
you all are clowns , just stop pretending to be real leo's and start filing your paperwork. i would leave the real work to the pro's.

When did you lose your zip? That don't sound like a certain little red haired girl, does it?

07-07-2007, 11:35 PM
It seems where we work in relation to our supervisors, administrators, co-workers and local law enforcement truly makes all the difference. I know that in my county, I have had little issue with sheriff's office or local agencies when I have asked them to meet me in the field to effect an arrest. As a matter of fact, they often tell me that I would be crazy not to ask for assistance and this is regardless as to whether the offender is present or not. What I find puzzling with many posts on this site is that we have people who call us and possibly themselves wantabe cops because we ask for assistance, yet I have never seen or heard of a "real leo" going into a situation where there was a potential for danger without backup. They have even waited for backup at a probation office, before assisting with the arrest of one of OUR offenders. Now I would be willing to wager that when this has happened, the "real leo" did not return to his office with his head down in shame because he asked for assistance. We have had offenders act out severely and it took several probation officers and leos to get the situation under control. For those of you who work in circuits where there is little cooperation between line staff and local agencies, I feel for you. Perhaps you can start by forging your own network with your sheriff's office and local police, by going to there department and discussing cases with them or by attending public meetings. If your circuit has a gang task force or sex crimes unit, attend their meetings. My point, get involved, become the master of your own destiny instead of complaining about all that is wrong. What's the worst that could happen? You might gain a little respect or knowledge. :idea: :wink:

07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
It seems where we work in relation to our supervisors, administrators, co-workers and local law enforcement truly makes all the difference. I know that in my county, I have had little issue with sheriff's office or local agencies when I have asked them to meet me in the field to effect an arrest. As a matter of fact, they often tell me that I would be crazy not to ask for assistance and this is regardless as to whether the offender is present or not. What I find puzzling with many posts on this site is that we have people who call us and possibly themselves wantabe cops because we ask for assistance, yet I have never seen or heard of a "real leo" going into a situation where there was a potential for danger without backup. They have even waited for backup at a probation office, before assisting with the arrest of one of OUR offenders. Now I would be willing to wager that when this has happened, the "real leo" did not return to his office with his head down in shame because he asked for assistance. We have had offenders act out severely and it took several probation officers and leos to get the situation under control. For those of you who work in circuits where there is little cooperation between line staff and local agencies, I feel for you. Perhaps you can start by forging your own network with your sheriff's office and local police, by going to there department and discussing cases with them or by attending public meetings. If your circuit has a gang task force or sex crimes unit, attend their meetings. My point, get involved, become the master of your own destiny instead of complaining about all that is wrong. What's the worst that could happen? You might gain a little respect or knowledge. :idea: :wink:

You mean you make a habit of calling the locals to houses that you don't even know if the offender is home or not. More power to you. :lol: :lol:

Gray Rider
07-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Yes, the networking post has merit, especially in small jurisdictions where the PO has established some rapport. They have few calls and are looking for something to do anyway. PO's have been requested to go with the deputies on their calls when they are short handed and we have obliged.

Even in larger police agencies it is possible to get to know the officers in the precinct or sub-station and earn each others' respect and support. The old saying "if you want a friend, be a friend" applies here.

07-08-2007, 01:14 AM

Awesome post! If you are the little red haired girl, I'm glad you got your zip back. If you are not, I am just as proud to serve with you!