PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought.

06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
It's my understanding that the Sheriff pays an extra 5% for evening shift and 10% for the midnight shift due to the fact that these hours are not the norm for average workers in this country (a common practice in LE). Going by this thought process, why doesn't he and/or other agencies pay extra for those that work weekends, which is also not the norm for average workers in this country?

06-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Thats a really stupid question, but Ill play. You dont get extra for working weekends because you get other perks. Patrol spots have to be filled. So when everyone else gets a holiday off, you work and get double time. Thats the perk. We dont work a "normal" job with 9-5 weekends off in patrol. Its the way of things.

06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
That's a really stupid answer. Everyone gets paid for the holiday, not just those that work. The ones that work get paid for their regular day of work at straight time (which isn't double time, or you would end up with 24 hours total pay for the day)...doesn't seem like a perk to me when everyone get's the extra 8 hours of pay. I also know that patrol doesn't work a "normal" job, which was the point of the question. Since it isn't normal, there is extra pay for different shifts, but not different days. Was just curious why that is.

06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Every one does not get paid for the holiday, patrol will get paid for the holiday, 8 hrs, and for working your regular work day, 8 hrs. CID and the ADMIN people will be off, not working. they will get 8 hours on there check and it also will screw up any overtime which becomes straight time.

When people signed up for this job, they knew of the shift work and weekends, or was that a surprise :o

Patrol will always be the best place to be. :wink:

06-05-2006, 04:42 PM
You guys are truly, truly stupid.

Try and follow me here.

Patrol Deputy works on a holiday, because a sector must be filled. That Patrol Deputy gets 8 hours of regular pay +plus+ (that means in addition to) 8 hours of holiday pay that is equal to their hourly pay rate. So if you worked you got paid double time (as in twice your hourly rate).

CID (as an example) is not required to work a holiday, but they still get 8 hours of pay for that day that they are not at work. Being home on that holiday does not cost them 8 hours of vacation, sick, or comp.

The perk, if you will call it that, is the PATROL GUY or DETENTION DEPUTY who has to work gets an extra 8 hours of pay on that check. Do the math you retards.

You guys are really stupid and it scares me that you may be cops.

06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Yes, Police Officers are notoriously Left-Brain deficient ( don't believe me? just go to a math intensive police course like Traffic Homicide ). We tend, as a group, to be more verbal/action oriented. No one ever talked a"jumper" off a roof or defused a violent domestic situation by pointing out just how well their 401(k) was doing. Just relax, do the job, and take the pay which, frankly, is a whole lot better now than when I started. I am sometimes amazed at the fact that I get paid for this line of work. If I didn't, I'd have to annoy a$$holes for free.

06-06-2006, 12:11 AM
My point was that you aren't actually getting paid double time since EVERYONE get's 8 hours of pay regardless of if they work or not. So, if you work on that day (you get paid a total of 16 hours at straight time for the holiday you work) and subtract the pay EVERYONE gets (8 hours of straight time), you get 8 hours of straight time. Here's a simple way to show what you get paid. Let's say I get paid $25.00 an hour and so does someone who is off work that holiday. I get 16 hours of pay at $25.00 an hour which is $400.00. The person off is getting $200 for not working. So, subtract the $200 I get regardless of if I work or not and you are left with $200. Which is what I would make on any other day. If it was double time, I would have gotten $400 for the 8 hours I worked ($25 X 2=double time pay) and the additional $200 holiday pay that everyone gets ($25 X8 hours straight time). This totals $600 and would be the correct amount if I got double time for the day I worked and was paid the holiday time everyone else got that was off that day. So, when all is said and done...you get the holiday pay that EVERYONE gets and for actually not being with your family and working, you get your normal pay rate. Easy math.

06-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Listen, all the hardworkin coppers are either older (i didn't say all that are older are), or retired and didn't get paid shit for what they did just loved the job. You see very few younger cops coming on here that actually love the job, their mainly in it for a stable job with decent money. The cops coming on today believe everything should be handed to them and they do nothing for it.

Every once in awile I see a rookie come on board with a passion for the job, but its usually the same old bag of crap ass dodge calls all day and do as little as possible. Thats the breed they like at any agency, the pretty boy with a college degree, gone are the days of the down and dirty hardworker who does it just because he loves it. You all want this and that and everything handed to you, if some agency in the northeast has it well I guess we should too huh. We a treated well here, to the lucky one's who work here just be thankful you do. There are alot of people lined up trying to get on that would do anything to take your place. Stop *****ing about this little shit and take a look at the other boards and the problems they have.

06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with the last poster. I have only been a police officer for 2.5 years and I love this job. I would continue do it if I never get weekends or holidays off. I hope to be joining the sheriff's office this year and having some fun on the streets with some of you guys.

Everyone knows that LE is 24/7 when they apply. They need to suck it up or go work at a bank. I also agree that there are alot of complainers that are just coming out of the academy and they don't want to do anything but dodge calls. Some of them think after a week on the street they have 20 years experience. Even with 2.5 years as a cop I'm still learning. All I can say is that this is the greatest job you could have so enjoy it. :)

06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Nicely said!

06-16-2006, 09:43 PM
THANK YOU!! BE SAFE!!! :D