PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour shifts

06-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I know this has been discussed before. However I have thought of applying for this agency but dislike the 8 hour shifts. Has there been any talk of doing something different? I know the Jail has gone to the 12 hour shifts and word is they like it. Or so I heard. Any talk of the road trying it?

06-04-2006, 12:42 AM
IF YOU HATE 8 HOUR SHIFTS SO BADLY APPLY TO AGENCY THAT HAS THEM.

06-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Well I guess you meant to say DON"T apply to one that has them. Also seeing as how it is Saturday, I will assume you are an old timer that loves them because you get every weekend off......

06-04-2006, 10:32 AM
LOL...wow, think you hit the nail on the head. Only chance of going to 12 hour shifts is thru the collective bargaining hoopla and I don't see that happening due to the overwhelming amount of "old timers" who for some unknown reason believe that because it took them forever to get weekends off, so should everyone else. There is a great question posted on Strategies for Excellence on this topic which clearly points out that EVERYONE'S FAMILY is just as important as the next one.

06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
8'd are easier for child care..i like set days off..so i can plan things..12's are for single persons or ppl that like to work all of the time..

06-04-2006, 08:32 PM
What kind of math are you doing? 40 hour work weeks = 2080 hours a year. That is 260 days "working" a year on 8 hour shifts. Or 173.3 days working a year on 12 hour shifts. That is an additional 87 days off a year. So again, how are 12 hour shifts for us who "love to work"? 10 hour shifts are nice though too. 52 extra days off a year. And what is another 2-4 hours once you put the monkey suit on? I'd rather put it on and leave it on a bit longer for more time away from work.

As for child care issues? Why should the rest of us be denied because you wanted to procreate? Kidding. But the schedule rotations are laid out in advance so all you have to do is look at a calander to plan ahead.

Cops are the worst at resisting change. But once you got into a groove with it, it would be great. Just some food for thought.

06-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Heaven forbid the new guys have to get some time get weekends off. You punks cant stand that you have to pay some sort of dues. You want a new car now, you want weekends off now, you want a transfer now. Well tough shit! You may think 12's are good now, because your days off suck. But wait till you have a kid, or want to go back to school, or anything that requires the same day off every week. So stick the old timer crap right up your ass rooky. We hire alot every year, your seniority will rise. Dont be a shit just because all you can think about is your self.

06-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Ain't no rookie old man... Just have worked 12 hour shifts for many years (and have worked 8's) and think it is way better. thats all. just was checking to see if it has been discussed. your type are the reason it isn't.

06-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Holy crap the logic..."I had to wait my turn so everyone has to wait their turn", "pay your dues", blah blah blah....

I'll take mon, tues, wed off if that means 52 more days off a year. I don't give a rats patootie what days of the week I'm not working, just as long as I'M NOT WORKING!!

I guess that makes me "a lazy ass generation Y rookie sumuma*****" by enjoying what I do but not living what I do. Work is only something I have to do just 31% of my time until I reach my 25 years. I'd just rather cram that into as few days a week as possible.

06-05-2006, 04:01 AM
The beauty of this agency is that if you don't like to work the 8's that patrol works then put your transfer in and go to the jail. They are in as much need of personnel as we are, they work 12 hours shifts, and pay and benefits are the same.

Otherwise STFU and do your time in patrol.

06-05-2006, 11:42 AM
If you switch to 12 hour shifts you would not have more days off since you would have to work on your days off for all off duty jobs,,,,you can't work an off duty job on a 12 hour work day.
also you would lose shift differential. that means all the new guys would be working a 6pm to 6am shift because senior guys would not work the over night w/o shift differential.
so the new guys would have no social life/family life. Is that really what you want?
Pay issue,,,
the average midnight shift deputy would have to work an extra 200 hours of off duty work to make up for the loss of shift differential pay.
Now add that to the off duty hours folks already work,,,,where is the extra time/days off?
You will be spending all your time working.
Now what happens to your family life, social life, and your mental state ?
I think you don't realize how good you have it.
12 hour shifts would lead to severe burn out and high turn over.
I think you should adapt to the agency and not expect the agency to adapt to you.

06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Holy cow, I guess you "old timers" that don't want to change also never learned how to use correct punctuation or grammar? LOL. As for the shift differential, the jail get's it on the midnight shift so it only follows that patrol would get it as well. And for the economically challenged...if you HAVE TO work off duty details, you are overspending my friend. Learn to budget or go to law school for the big bucks. I knew when I got into this profession I wouldn't be rich, so I live within my means. As for child care, should a whole agency work certain hours so that you may have children or want to go back to school because you procrastinated? What you do in your personal life (read school, children or hobbies for the matter) should have no bearing on my work schedule. As for 12 hour shifts, during my time in the military, I worked 12 hour shifts or more for quite sometime and didn't suffer a mental breakdown or lose my ability to write coherent sentences ( I only left due to having to move to often and comparable pay). In closing, I would love to see a Sheriff in his thirty's who would run things like it was happening in the present day instead of how things were 20 years ago.

06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
We are so damn lucky to have a bunch of 6000+ payrolls here to reinvent the wheel. From reading your post I can't imagine how this agency ever ran without you. Give us everything now! This idea of paying your dues, actually learning your job, and earning anything is so dang old fashioned. You guys are getting shafted. Heck you have been out of FTO for at least 18 months and have learned to make a living on misd. marijuana stops and dwlsr's, you should come first!

06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
"Paying your dues"...wft? Just exactly who do I owe something to?

06-05-2006, 04:35 PM
"Paying Your Dues"

Hmmm, let me think about that. That kid of means that you start with no seniority, you earn it as more people leave and get hired below you. You don't start at the top, you start at the bottom. I'm sorry that new people don't like having crappy days off but thats the way it is. Why reward new people who just started just because theyre new?

None of you were ready made cops. You have to learn it as you go. Any of you that think you got 2 years on and can do it better are idiotic. After 10 years, 20 years, you are still learning. But a 20 year Deputy deserves alot more than a 3 year rookie who cant't stand being new at something.

"Days Off"

Not one of you people that want 12 hours days would take it if tomorow you all had weekends off. I suppose you think we would be in Iraq too if they had no oil. Thats exactly why you want 12 hour shifts so you can have a weekend off here and there.

If you have kids or go to school you cannot work 12 hour shifts. you dont have the same days off every week. Therefor you are screwed.

"To: Guest posted 06/05/06 07:31:03"

No asshole I am not an "old timer". No asshole no one cares what the jail does for shifts. Yes asshole some of us work off-duty details for extra cash. Yes asshole i should have the ability to further my education (some of have the B.A. and are going for the Masters asshole). And yes asshole, child care is an issue for all of us, like it or not.

Asshole, we are not all that single, child free, living within your means, know it all punk with a bachelors that lives in a single bedroom apartment with a meager car payment who has no care for what anyone else thinks. You claerly are that asshole and I personally think you need your ass kicked.

And asshole, no one gives two shits what stupid shift you worked in the military. But its funny that you shared with us that you left because you had to move too often and the pay was too low. Well thats too bad asshole. If you know so much when you hit 30 why dont you run for sheriff. Are you worried that you may be wrong or that you actually dont know ****ing shit.

06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
If you switch to 12 hour shifts you would not have more days off since you would have to work on your days off for all off duty jobs,,,,you can't work an off duty job on a 12 hour work day.
also you would lose shift differential. that means all the new guys would be working a 6pm to 6am shift because senior guys would not work the over night w/o shift differential.
so the new guys would have no social life/family life. Is that really what you want?
Pay issue,,,
the average midnight shift deputy would have to work an extra 200 hours of off duty work to make up for the loss of shift differential pay.
Now add that to the off duty hours folks already work,,,,where is the extra time/days off?
I think you should adapt to the agency and not expect the agency to adapt to you.

I currently work for an agency that has 12 hour shifts. The same arguements were put forth when we went from 8 to 12. Now you cannot find people who want 8's back. People actually have to be begged to take detective positions because no one wants to leave the 12 hour shifts of patrol. Oh yeah! we have shift diefferential and work only 7 days in a pay period. There is no burn out because you have more days with your family or fishing or strippers....whatever!!

06-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow, "asshole"...great language which shows your maturity level. Strike a nerve on the education department? And oh yeah, why make the assumption that we are new cops. Many have worked elsewhere and then relocated to this department. As for the dues thing, you mention days off as a reward...why? That's the same old stupid mentality that is keeping the LE profession behind in the times. Day's off to spend with your family SHOULD NOT BE A REWARD! When you "veteran" deputies (as you call your closeminded self) realize this, you will understand that whether you have been on the job for one year or for twenty years, everybody's family is as equally important. That is the whole point of this thread.

06-06-2006, 04:44 AM
i dont agree with the whole we are family aspect, just becase we all wear green and white. lets face reality, 90 % of the ppl here are lazy and are suck asses, 5 % get promotions because of agreements and 5% actually work hard and get nothing. which percent are you. and ps your family is what you have outside of work. the best policy is to not mingle with employees outside of work, or if you do i'd make it a very select person/persons.

06-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Pay issue,,,

I currently work for an agency that has 12 hour shifts. The same arguements were put forth when we went from 8 to 12. Now you cannot find people who want 8's back. People actually have to be begged to take detective positions because no one wants to leave the 12 hour shifts of patrol. Oh yeah! we have shift diefferential and work only 7 days in a pay period. There is no burn out because you have more days with your family or fishing or strippers....whatever!!

That is the same as with the agency I work for. 12h shifts were oppossed for a long time until people tried them. When they talked of getting rid of them years ago there was almost an uprising. Everyone said hell no (even the most senior guys)THe argument of set days is stupid. 12 hour shift gives you set days also in a two week pay period.
week one you have off Wed, THurs
week two you have off Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun. This is the same every pay period (two weeks)
and like said before most of the guys talking about 12h shifts have worked them before somewhere else and like them better. I guess this is a really touchy subject at your agency.

06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Wow, I can't beat that logic. The new guy gets the same as the 20 year vet..........hmmm..........nope thats stupid. That mentality is keeping the LE profession behind in the times?!?!? Your whole argument for 12 hours shifts seems to center around days off and time off. So the 10 year guy who has worked the crappy days off who finally gets good days off should give that up because you, the FNG, wants better days off too. Thats brilliant!! But reality is that this is a quasi military organization, seniority has its few priveleges and thats the big one. I suppose youre pissed that you cant go work squad 1 and show the dinosaurs how its done, right? you can do it so much better and all that happy crap.

I will concede that everyones family has equal importance. But, you dont get a job knowing how the days off work and that cry poor me because your kid cant see you on Saturday from 3 to 11. Thats the whole paying your dues part FNG. We payed them now its your turn. I suppose you dont see the fact that 12 hour shifts would screw everyone out of every other weekend off. But thats okay because you have tuesday/wednesday off and screw everyone else.

Maybe you came from somewhere else that had 12's, go back if it was so great. You are most definitely of the Y Generation and want everything for yourself now, now, now. Stand in line asshole.

06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Ok this is a revolving circle. the only argument 20 year guys have is that " I was screwed working crappy days now you have to do it" so there..... talk about gen y,x I would rather be associated with them then generation bitter old man...

everyone that has worked both shifts hate 8 hour shifts. the only guys that like them are the very senior guys working m-f 8-5 end of story good bye. guess considering this agency was a mistake... Try to have constructive discussion but the old guys can't keep from cursing you out... forget it not worth the time...

06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Yes considering working here was a mistake, bye bye bumpkin!!

06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow, I can't beat that logic. The new guy gets the same as the 20 year vet..........hmmm..........nope thats stupid. That mentality is keeping the LE profession behind in the times?!?!?

Wow can you say dinosaur. How about it is better for the whole agency not some crappy dinosaur who needs to go crawl in a hole. While I can see your "Its not fair" mentality, it doesn't add up. Went through the change with our agency 10 years ago and for patrol it is great. But then your progressive agency probably lets people bid for days off that they are stuck with for a year, now that is real progressive. If you try it, you will find that the benifits outweigh your petty complaints.

06-08-2006, 12:21 AM
To Lucky and Veteran Deputy, its a shame that this is all you have amounted to in all your years of existence. It is a shame that you have nothing but Law Enforcement. It is a shame that you are so ignorant as to bring national politics into a local governement arena and piss off the masses with your opinion. It is a shame that you further that insult with a degrading and disrespectful response to a former military member who, regardless of civilian employment status, signed his/her life away so that you can ***** about how much rookies owe veteran officers. Some rookies don't owe veteran officers shit because this is a civilian job that amounts to very little as far as impacting society as a whole; versus the effects of military action. Some rookies feel shafted and want everything now because they just spent 6 years sleeping in mortar holes in the desert, nestled next to a corpse while you sat here on your ass in a cruiser with air conditioning *****ing. Finally, to you both, it is a shame that you are so obsessed with all of this crap that you had to gang-up on someone with a different opinion who dared to voice it. Never once did he bash you in his original post as being lazy or anything else, but you had to take it that route. You are both disgusting to the profession and this agency. To the guest who started this post, some things just aren't worth investigating and debating. Save your energy for your later years when the dinosaurs are gone and you can have an impact. Fresh thinking is what this agency needs, not burnt out veteran deputies so disgruntled that they pound the new guy.

06-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks for sticking up for me. I was beginning to believe maybe I was the one who was wrong in my thinking. Glad to know that there are still some decent people out there who can look at a comment and take it for what it is. I think you are right on waiting for later on, I thought that maybe this agency was ready for some fresh thoughts/changes, but I guess it doesn't appear so. Thanks again.

06-08-2006, 12:29 PM
To Hillsborough; We change shift every six months. Now go back to chasing all your chickens, horses and cows. for your 12hrs. bye bye.

12 hr shifts on the road will never happen, so, suck it up and move on.

To Vet; who sleeping with a corps. BOO F-EN WHO WHO. Thank you for your service but your not the only 1.

To Mod; some of these post seem to be the same guy talking/posting to himself. I hope he is not using his department issued lap top, or he will be the next example in IAD.

06-08-2006, 01:12 PM
To Hillsborough; We change shift every six months. Now go back to chasing all your chickens, horses and cows. for your 12hrs. bye bye.

12 hr shifts on the road will never happen, so, suck it up and move on.

To Vet; who sleeping with a corps. BOO F-EN WHO WHO. Thank you for your service but your not the only 1.

To Mod; some of these post seem to be the same guy talking/posting to himself. I hope he is not using his department issued lap top, or he will be the next example in IAD.

Thanks for chiming again old timer. I just hope that you will stay consistent with your thinking when you retire and only accept a 50 percent retirement like the old timers were getting when you came on. It would be hypocritical of you to take the 75 percent given now, you moron!!!

06-08-2006, 05:27 PM
LOL. Yeah, take your 50% like the "old timers" of YOUR DAY did and then you'll have a right to say something about not changing things.

06-08-2006, 09:15 PM
To the "guest" that somehow mingled the military into this deabte, kiss my ass. I think its great that you may have been over seas, for 6 years I doubt it. But that has NO bearing on seniority here. No more than if I went into the military now. I wouldnt expect to start in the middle just because I was a cop for ove a decade. So save your war story and save your bullshit reponse for someone who cares

06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
To the "guest" that somehow mingled the military into this deabte, kiss my ass. I think its great that you may have been over seas, for 6 years I doubt it. But that has NO bearing on seniority here. No more than if I went into the military now. I wouldnt expect to start in the middle just because I was a cop for ove a decade. So save your war story and save your bullshit reponse for someone who cares

Can say the same to you old vets.. Who gives a crap you started this job a few years before someone else. Some of us could have 20 years but we spent the first ten in the military. Go park your car under a tree and keep dodging calls. You guys are the complainers.. No I don't want to change shifts because I might have to work....wah wah

06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself guest12345. Thank you. By the way, take note Vet Dep that your buddies left you hanging on that last one. They are probably hardworking people with a good motive who just get angry at the current state of things, but knew better to leave my comment alone. In fact, I'm willing to bet they know what it is like to serve because they had the balls to do it. It's hard for any of us to kiss your ass as you asked me to (a frightening request) when your sitting on it 24/7. You are the one who made the military an issue when you slandered the other guest. In doing so you just happened to piss the rest of us off who have worn our nations uniform and served the greater masses, not just Pinellas County. For some of us this isn't our first job in public service, and it certainly isn't the toughest or most dangerous. Maybe you should remember that before you spout off. Maybe you should realize that your seniority here means nothing to those of us who have served our country. This agency (and law enforcement in general) is hardly even quasi-military. Don't pretend to know anything about "paying dues", "seniority", or anything remotely involving discipline, sacrafice, and earned accomplishments. And finally, what makes you think any military service would want you? Your postings and attitude are enough to show any recruiter what you are made of. Good day guest12345. To all of you (yes, even you VetDep ((what I'm about to say is an honor thing that only military folks can understand)), stay safe and take care.

06-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Whooooeeee is that the best you can do Third Floor. That reply sounds like a third grader. Boy I really hope that you are not a common representative of your agency. You are living in the 80's with a 60's mentality. As far as chasing animals, yup, we still do that, bet ya'll do it too, think it is still part of the job. Bu bye

06-10-2006, 12:02 AM
IF YOU DO THE MATH THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN TIME OFF BETWEEN 12 VS 8 HOUR SHIFTS. THEY BOTH HAVE 256 HOURS OF OFF DUTY TIME IN A TWO WEEK PAY PERIOD. WHILE I AGREE THAT THE THREE DAY WEEKEND EVERY OTHER WEEK ON 12'S IS A PLUS. WHAT BENIFIT IS IT WHEN YOU HAVE TO SLEEP MOST OF THE 1ST DAY ON YOUR THREE DAY WEEKEND JUST TO GET CAUGHT UP FROM SLEEP DEPRIVATION. I FOR ONE BELIEVE 12 HOUR SHIFTS ARE UNSAFE DUE TO FATIGUE. I HAVE WORKED 12 HOUR SHIFTS FOR LENGTHY PERIODS AND KNOW HOW I FEEL WHEN I WORKED THEM: FATIGUED, IRRITABLE, LANGUID & WEARY. PLUS, YOU HAVE TO FACTOR IN COURT, DEPOSITIONS & SAO INVEST'S. I FOR ONE DON'T BELIEVE IT'S SAFE TO HAVE A LEO HAVING TO MAKE A LIFE AND DEATH SITUATION WHEN HE IS IN THE 11TH HOUR OF A TWELVE HOUR SHIFT AND SPENT TIME IN A DEPO PRIOR TO THEIR SHIFT. IT IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER. 12 HOUR SHIFTS SHOULD BE RESERVED ONLY FOR EMERGENCY OPERATIONS OF SHORT DURATION.

06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
finally a good argument for the 8 hour shift. see now that was a good post and argument Old Fart. that is the only reason I asked the question for this thread to get the argument of the plus and minus of 12 vs 8, and if there was talk of change. Not just the usual I did it for X years its your turn rooky.

06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Excuse the above post for spelling and grammer. I just finished my 12 hour shift. :lol:

06-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Would the veteran dep's with weekends off be willing to go to 10 hour shifts if they can keep there weekends off; FSS or SSM? I would not care if I have MTW off. I would just like to have the extra day off it is great as I have done 10 hour shifts before. It is an extra 52 days off per year. Just throwing that out there. That way the vets get there weekends and the others still get there extra day off per week.

This is the greatest job in the world and I would do it if I never get weekends off. :twisted: :twisted:

06-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Old fart...you say there is no difference in the time off. Yes there is a difference, just not a difference in the AMOUNT. The difference is the block of time off. Open your eyes fruitcake and stop seeing in the past. You should change your name to Mr. Cleaver, because you are certainly living in the past. Everything is so black and white to you, God forbid if something changes. I'm done here, as I'm not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
To Guest: Dont pat yourself on the back so hard. God bless you for your service, but dont give me your "serve the masses" b.s. At 18 you didnt have that in mind signing up so blow me. Im so very sorry to have insulted your sensitivity but in lawa enforcement there is paying your dues, seniority, rank, and it is quasi military. That means like structure dumbass. We are clearly not as screwed up as the real military. now go back to being a hero guarding a check point in Lawrenceville Georgia. I love the fact that you think a military person thinks nothing of my time on. Thats the problem with little shits like you. you come into this job, something you know **** about, and think I owe you something. Trust me, my experience will show over your lack of experience when it counts. Its too bad your too ignorant to recognize that you dont know jack.

To Just Asking: You will most likely never see 10 hour shifts for all of patrol because they are not cost effective for the admin. There great hours, but dont work out with squads that have set days off.

As for pros & cons of 12's and 8's:

8's get you set days off. I like weekends off, but I could care less as long as they are the same two days of every week. With 8's if you want a day off it costs you 8 hours vacation. 12's obviously cost you 12. Sick days are the same. So do that math.

For the life of me I cannot see a reason anyone would want 12 hour days other then the fact that they want some part of the weekend off. If thats the only reason thats stupid. It comes with time. Tough that you dont like "paying dues" or gaining seniority.

Do any of you really want to work 12 hours in a row? As in 6pm to 6am? What if you get called into court at 1130am? When did you sleep? And if you have to be back in at 6pm? Are you flexing to sleep? Do you realize that you will have less overtime in the long run? I can see alot of negatives for 12's before I see positives. As a whole its the less senior guys that want it because of selfish reasons, not "Im here for the masses" bullshit.

06-10-2006, 04:17 PM
VetDep I swear you're trying to say something but all we here is waa waa waa. You don't appreciate any service people because you are jealous. When I signed at 18 the general masses is exactly what I had in mind douche bag.... since I come from a military family where honor, selfless sacrafice, and loyalty to this country are instilled.... its called patriotism. Not all of us are money hungry do nothings like yourself. I don't doubt your experience as an officer, I doubt your ability. Anyone can gain experience simply being spending enough time somewhere, but that doesn't qualify them as anything. Your experience does amount to shit compared to mine. I never said you owed me anything.... thats the problem with you old timers, you think everyone owes somebody something. You don't want to earn anything. No one is paying you dues, and we younger guys don't want shit from you. We don't need trash talking civilians in the service and we don't need you or your support here. Just fade away old man.

06-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Okay asshole, you win. Youve made some sort of point I guess. i thought the debate was on 12 hour shifts and why they suck, but you turned into that. And im the idiot. Well thanks for your selfless sacrifice, last i checked you get a paycheck too right? Would you do it for free? No? Then get off your high horse, youre a federal benefits collector with god complex of a grand scale. Youre right that no one owes me shit. But new is new and you earn your place, its not handed to you because you showed, were keen enough to get through the hiring process, or had some kind of life before this job! So im sorry i treaded on your lifestyle, your job, or your calling. Your the dipshit that keeps coming back for more, so whos the dumb one John Wayne?

06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
To Vet Dep:

With 10 hour shifts you can keep the same days off for example, half have SSM off and the other half have WTF off. On Tuesday everyone would work and half would copy calls and the other half would do self initiated things like traffic, dope, or any problem that needed to be addressed, etc. The next week the squad that copied calls would get to do some self initiated stuff and the prior squad would copy the calls and so on. As far as cost effectiveness I would think it costs the same as everyone is still getting paid 40 hours for the week. Thanks for your response and I agree that you need to put some time in to enjoy weekends off. I am a backer of the seniority structure.

Just for the record I work for another agency in Pinellas County but am applying there soon and hope to enjoy 10 hour shifts but not at the expense of taking weekends away from someone who has earned it. Thanks and hope to be working with you guys soon. BE SAFE!! :D :D :D :D

06-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Ten's are the shit!!! You get 3 days off!!! Which means you can work signal 15 one of your days off and still have two days off in a row. We still work three shifts. 0600-1600, 1400-2400,2100-0700 Mid's still get differential. We have two shifts out from 1400 to 1600 as well as 2100 to 2400 the over lap is very nice. Most of the time as the next shifts comes on they take primary's the shift to get off copies backs most of the time( not always) This is a great time to do reports, traffic, dope, area checks that kinda thing. I can't find on negative thing about 10's they put more officer on the street in the busy parts of the day i.e. rush hour,as well as nights. You can have any three days off like MTW,WTF,FSsU. We bid on them based on seniority. Which makes it sweet for the veteran's. Rookies can usually get descent days off, like WTF. When I was new I wanted days off like that so I could play on the weekends. Which I still do. 10'S ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

06-12-2006, 01:57 AM
I would love for 10 hour shifts across the board. I just dont see it cuz it wont cover shifts tthe way 8's or 12's would. 10's rock, no doubt. I'd be for it, i just dont see it happening.

06-12-2006, 02:08 AM
VetDep I am not on a high horse. You insulted a large majority of people here (myself included) and I responded. You are right however, new is new. But, that is all you had to say in your original post instead of insulting the man that posted the question. I would have minded my own business if you had just utilized a little propriety in your response. No one can deprive you of your opinion of 12's or rookies. There was just no reason to thrash the man.

06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
I've been working here for almost 5 years now...I might be leaving to go to a smaller agency (pinellas park) for the 10 hour shift.

Ten6Niner
06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey 5 year deputy, make sure you look at more than just one aspect of the agencies before you make the jump. I left the Park for PCSO 6 years ago and I'm happier here than there.

Rather than getting into a pissing contest with Parkers on this board, feel free to email me at ten6niner@mail.com and I'll share reasons I left and things I know that have changed and stayed the same from friends I still have at the Park.

06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Regardless, I said pretty much the same thing there. new is new, pay your dues, gain seniority, whatever you wich to call it. The new guys will always want more than they deserve. The new guys will all gain seniority and look at the newer guys and go "holy shit, look at these ****y little shits." You'll see. Its like children, theyll always be there and theyll always be moving on to make way for the newer ones. Thus the circle of life continues. HHAHAHAHHA

06-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Please, please, please tell me youre not serious. 1st off, wait one more year and at least get vested in FRS. Then go wherever. No slam on PPPD, but would you go to another agency just for the shift? I have to think theres something else to it. Maybe youve gotten into trouble recently. Maybe you hate your Sergeant. Maybe you didnt get a transfer. Would you really roll the dice and start over at -0- seniority, starting salary, and a new agency for that? It will pass, the grass is always greener and all that. You'd also be the FIRST Deputy to quit here to goto PPPD. At least youd be famous for a day!

06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Dan Levy came from the So as a ID tech, he also worked for the FBI. Then he found his home in the park...

06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Jim Byers also left PCSO for PPPD. It doesn't happen much anymore, but it has happened.

06-13-2006, 02:22 AM
don't get me wrong guys, PCSO as been good to me. And yes I am going to wait one more year before the move if any. But....In my five years here at the agency I have come to realize that I as one deputy can only do some much in a days work. I love patrol and have no reason to go upstairs or want stripes. maybe its the big fish in a little pond thing.

06-13-2006, 03:02 AM
The FIRST Deputy to leave PCSO and go to PPPD? I THINK NOT!!! PPPD should be called jailguard central!! The majority of their officers worked as DEPUTIES in our jail at one time or another. So, it isn't odd to see people leave this agency and head for the Park.

Ten6Niner
06-13-2006, 03:30 AM
Hey, "stand corrected", we're talking about Deputies, NOT jail guards. So, it IS rare for a Deputy to leave PCSO for PPPD.

Ten6Niner
06-13-2006, 03:33 AM
don't get me wrong guys, PCSO as been good to me. And yes I am going to wait one more year before the move if any. But....In my five years here at the agency I have come to realize that I as one deputy can only do some much in a days work. I love patrol and have no reason to go upstairs or want stripes. maybe its the big fish in a little pond thing.

Believe me, that city will get REALLLY small after awhile. If you are not interested in leaving patrol, I'd stay at PCSO and wait for shift schedule to change, let's face it - it probably will. You have much more flexibility within Patrol Operations Bureau without going upstairs or getting promoted than you would at PPPD. For one thing, they still have that stupid 5-year rotation for specialized positions policy that screws you - even if you are FANTASTIC at your job, it's back to pushing a blue and white with you!

06-13-2006, 02:44 PM
TO "STAND CORRECTED"

I'll set your ass straight. We wont hire those DETENTION Deputies so they goto Pinellas Park Po-leese because they will!! PPPD gets used as a jumping point and they either come to PCSO or elsewhere. So dont get all excited just because those non-LEO certified people get called Deputies too.

There are a crap load of former DETENTION Deputies that went to PPPD and then came home. But they COULD NOT, for whatever reason, get hired here on the road from the jail. I can think of quite a few of those. I guess i would blame the needs of the jail for that. But not all.

06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Sadly, having worked both sides of the fence, I have to say that its sad to see such disrespect for the jail. I'm on the road, but started in the jail and it demands more respect than that. No, theydont run all over the county. But, they go through the same DT, the same Firearms, the same First Responder, and more Interpersonal Skills. They deal with the scum on a daily basis for a whole 8-12 hours that we only have to deal with from point A to point B for maybe two hours. There are no happy endings in the jail (as we sometimes get on the road), and 98% of the people in the jail would fight, stab, and kill a DEPUTY in there if they got the chance. They have had the chance and they have tried in the past. Don't knock it just because you never did it and not all of them want to work the road. Yes, a lot of the dinosaurs there are so far beyond lazy they redefine the word. But the newer breed is a harder working breed that actually does its job and takes the risk of living within the same walls as 72 of the biggest pieces of shit we ever dealt with.... for their entire day.

06-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh lordy!!! It's the "happy endings" in the jail and on the road that are getting folks fired.

06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Ten 69er, YOU are the MORN of the day, and now YOU will take your bashing!!

"Jailguards" ARE Deputy Sheriff's! YOU apparently arent CORRECTIONS certified, therefore YOU are'nt the one who hasnt seen both sides of the fence here at PCSO. That make YOU 1/2 the Deputy a DUAL certified LEO/CO is. So, with that said it would be nice to see YOU leave for anyplace, say the City of Clearwater Sanatation Dept, so that we may rid our ranks of self absorbed A$$HOLES like you.

Ive worked as a CO and am currently a 5+ year LEO with our agency. Your "Holy-er than thou" attitude stinks about as bad as your police work.

Now hit that X-8 button and do something constructive you SLUG.

06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
For the love of christ. Sorry, jail guards are Detention Deputies. LEO's are Deputies. Just because some dumbass Sheriff chose to drop that word from the Hack's name doesnt make them cops. You dumbasses are so sensitive about. You dont hear us calling each other correction certified Deptuies no more than we are dispatchers. But you guys fight for your name sake for no reason other than to latch on to our FOP contract results. Losing Detention from their name was a feel good tactic from a soft Sheriff. And its so hard to play adult detention monitor from your air conditioned control room.

Ten6Niner
06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
"Moron Basher", I'm the "MORN" of the day? Do you mean the sun rises with me? As a road deputy, I of course believe the sun rises and sets due to my direct intervention, but I've never been referred to as the actual "MORN."

No, I haven't worked the other side of the fence (that would be the new fence they put up after the jail guards couldn't keep the guy inside the jail). I wanted to be a cop when I grew up, so I went to cop school. You wanted to be a jail guard to you went to jail guard school. I'm not knocking your choice, I was clarifying the subject of the discussion.

06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Moron Basher, thanks for your support. Ten-Six-Niner, you're just an ass. That is some of the dumbest shit I ever heard. Cop school? As Basher pointed out, more of us are dual certified than aren't. The road can't say the same. Also, the only difference between "cop school" and a corrections academy is EVOC and traffic law.... which even those that are not dual certified study since everyone is issued a Florida statute book just as you were. I'll tell you what Ten.... come out from behind your screen name here and tell the jail who you really are. Then, when you bring someone in they can let you take them through the process, write the report on the two additional uses of force, listen to the guys shit all freaking night, investigate his battered face and rape allegations, and sit inside the pod with him and 71 of your his best friends. You know, the guys who spend their entire criminal career in there pumping you for your personal information through a network of 3600 inmates and 850 gossipy staff so that they can meet you in an ally, an empty parking lot (or a full one for that matter), or your very own home. All too often this is the reality of the jail. It recieves no attention because of guys and Sheriffs like you. but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and it doesn't change the fact that you certainly couldn't handle it.

06-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Here's how it works boys....

12 HOUR DAY SCHEDULE
•ROTATING WEEKEND OFF SCHEDULE: Allowing everyone to have a 3 day weekend twice a month.

•HOURS: A & B DAYS 0700 – 1900 Hours
•HOURS: A & B NIGHTS 1900 – 0700 Hours
•ALL MEMBERS: 84 HOUR PAY PERIOD/PAID LUNCH ˝ HOUR
•CERTIFIED STAFF: Compensated for 4 hours at time and a half
•NON-CERTIFIED STAFF: Compensated for 8 hours at time and a half due to working 48 hours in a pay period.
•MEMBERS WILL REPORT DIRECTLY TO POST

It's been working great so far and I've been HOME so often that my neighbors think I don't have a job !!!! You're never at work more than three days in one week.

You'll have one long week: :? One short week: :D
Work: Mon, Tues Off: Mon, Tues
Off: Wed, Thurs Work: Wed, Thurs
Work: Fri, Sat, Sun Off: Fri, Sat, Sun

06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Here's how it works boys....

12 HOUR DAY SCHEDULE
•ROTATING WEEKEND OFF SCHEDULE: Allowing everyone to have a 3 day weekend twice a month.

•HOURS: A & B DAYS 0700 – 1900 Hours
•HOURS: A & B NIGHTS 1900 – 0700 Hours
•ALL MEMBERS: 84 HOUR PAY PERIOD/PAID LUNCH ˝ HOUR
•CERTIFIED STAFF: Compensated for 4 hours at time and a half
•NON-CERTIFIED STAFF: Compensated for 8 hours at time and a half due to working 48 hours in a pay period.
•MEMBERS WILL REPORT DIRECTLY TO POST

It's been working great so far and I've been HOME so often that my neighbors think I don't have a job !!!! You're never at work more than three days in one week.

You'll have one long week: :?
Work: Mon, Tues
Off: Wed, Thurs
Work: Fri, Sat, Sun

One Short Week: :D
Off: Mon, Tues
Work: Wed, Thurs
Off: Fri, Sat, Sun

06-14-2006, 06:47 PM
He won't put his name out here because he's scared !!! Plain and simple. Just like he won't walk through the jail because he's scared !!! That's all he is ...... A COWARD ! Keep hiding behind your gun, asp, taser and all the other crap on your batman belt. When you can take down a 6'3" 260 lb person or talk him into deescalating with nothing but your hands .... then you can talk your crap !! I honeslty don't think you have the balls to do it. The jail no houses close to 3,800 inmates. 800 more than we can handle. Inmate fights and uses of force have sky rocketed. Yet we don't have anything to protect ourselves with except some food seasoning, our hand and talking. I'd like to see if you man enough to deal with that 8-12 hours a day. :evil:

Ten6Niner
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
I love it when someone who posts as "guest" calls someone out on the board. I tell YOU what tough guy, you let us all know who you are, and I'll come find you and the jail and we can talk face-to face.

And, since you work in the jail, stop using the agency computer for posting.

And I congratulate you on being bilingual. I would love to see you "talk" down a big guy using nothing but your hands. I have the deepest respect for those who have mastered sign language.

06-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey, Ten_Six dumbass, the one guest who called you our (me) is not working in the jail, nor do I post from an agency computer. The other guest who knows what it is to really deal with the assholes in jail was someone else. However, the one thing we both do have in common is a disdain for your arrogance and stupidity. I think it is funny and sad that you know you are not only cornered but made an ass out of yourself, hence the reason your only response to what was said focused on a minor grammatical error. You can't dispute the truth can you?

06-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Another thing Ten, (this is the guest who called you out) only you would be stupid enough to point out that a guest is calling someone out without identifying himself without realizing that you yourself are using an alias.... unless of course your birth certificate and department name tag both say "Ten6Niner". Only you would be childish enough to make a B.S. challenge knowing full well that you will not risk your pension, career, criminal record, and pain in order to try and prove something. I never asked you to come out here to fight, that is not only unprofessional, but a waste of my energy. What I challenged you to do was face the people you don't have the balls to bash to their face and then do the job that they do, knowing full well that you are incapable as well as scared.

Ten6Niner
06-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I wasn't asking for a fight, either. I was going to come meet you to see what it's like inside "the rock." I was also pointing out the irony of one person behind a moniker calling out another person for the same thing. You caught on to the irony, but just one step behind me.

At least I was clever enough to make up a name, pick an avatar, etc. to come play on the board.

Also, I would think that my name and avatar would indicate I don't take myself to seriously and am willing to play along with your childish games. For God's sake, my avatar is Beavis!

:P :P :P :P :P :P

06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
I thought if 12 hours was the answer for most people, then half half the county work them and the other half can stay on 8's...North and South really have nothing to do with the other...

06-15-2006, 02:46 AM
I grant you your cleverness. Until this spat I had always found your postings insightful and humorous. I don't want to take the time to create all of that stuff.... especially since I rarely come to this site. I do appreciate your avatar though.

06-15-2006, 03:12 AM
12 hr shifts, short sleeve shirts year round, class A's for funerals and a motor unit for this agency. Modernization would be the title!!

06-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah and new guys who know theyre new and dont have all the answers. If you havent worked anywhere else, and I doubt you have, you may like to know we are leading edge.

12 hours are great for little agencies and places that work rotating shifts. We voted on this shit like 8 years ago and it was a land slide NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Short sleeves year roudn wouldnt kill us, but some of us take pride in that uniform, new guy.

A motor unit. Theres a bright idea. No A/C. Cant use in the rain. Limited visibility. Can't transport prisoners. Moving target to anyone that wants to bump you off your bike. Thats brilliant.

I wish some of you new assholes could have worked here 10 - 15 years ago when we had MDT 850's, Dodge Diplomats, 9mm Berettas and a shotgun, and 400mhz brick radios with no mikes. Shit even 5-7 years ago we didnt get in car radios till then with the new 800's.

Now you little wind bags have laptops, CAD, internet access, FTO's that have ADORE with a palm pilot, shotgun racks in cars, .223 rifles handed to you, Glock 21's with M3 lights, Riot gear that would make some SWAT Teams jeolous, ERT training that some agencies will never get, stop sticks, PIT Training, Uniforms new every year whether you need them or not, a pension you pay nothing into, and one of the highest salaries in the county.

We need some improvements here and there, like any agency, but that was about the dumbest thing you could have said you stupid spoiled little shit.

CHUCKY CHEEEZE
06-16-2006, 02:19 AM
The post above about sums it up.

If you really want something to whine about, go to SPPD or FHP. This younger generation scares me......

06-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I thought "the rock" was S15????? LOL.

06-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Wow !! Theres a response from someone wasting a id number. Retire old one and let the new generation do your job twice as good!! Oh yea you must be one of those that once tried to ride a motor, but fell off. Better luck at Walmart as a GREETER!!!

07-05-2006, 08:32 PM
so how is walmart?

09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
wow i am so tired of the people working in central bragging about having to face 72 inmates all by themselves and being a badass for doing so. look, to the road guys, i have worked central when it was only 64 inmates per pod and im sure much hasnt changed, central has been and remains a joke to this day in the jail. sorry central no disrespect to the deputies there but central is known has camp hug-a-thug by us in south. yes there MIGHT someday be a problem where a deputy gets seriously hurt and i hope it never happens but it is still considered a "soft" place in the jail. just keep your eyes open, and let the counselor (the ones who really run central) do their thing. now those in the division formally known as CSOD do have a more difficult job and it is considered an interesting place to work. which brings up the subject that if all the central deputies were as hardcore as they say they are then why when lt williams took over did all the central deputies cry about being forced to work csod? if you dont believe me then re-read some of the postings on stratex about it around the time williams took it over. also stop crying on stratex about 12's if you arent willing to post your name. those who dont post their name are pretty much laughed at by..well by everyone. if you feel your idea is that important then post your name.

09-18-2006, 06:21 PM
just like you huh tough guy?

09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
will never put my name on here but on stratex everytime. too many people have access to this site plus remember the lawsuits in hillsborough? plus i am no tough guy, just-a-jailer.

09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
We should look at how the Tampa PD has their shifts set up. 11.5 hours a day, four on four off. It is like a part time job, with full time pay.

09-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Actually we work (3) 11.4 hr shifts and (1) 11.5 hr shift, basically 4 on 4 off....u only work 6 months out of the year. Having 4 days off a week is like having a mini-vacation every week...The only down side is not having set days off for child care; however we have almost 1,000 officers, which makes it obvious that it can be worked out. Weigh the benefits. But u know what, if your agency isnt willing to make changes, we are hiring alot right now, especially experienced law enforcement.

P.S. - We can also take our cars home to any county that borders Hillsborough which includes Pinellas, Pasco, Polk and Manatee. I guess thats a different issue that your deputies are having a problem with also.

09-23-2006, 03:08 AM
That's why Mike Peasley is running for Sheriff.

10-11-2006, 01:25 PM
You new people need to find your cry baby towels and realize your not the center of the universe. I hear Tampa will stick you in 12 hour shifts so go apply.

10-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Lester Aradi will straighten things out, don't worry.