PDA

View Full Version : Morale

06-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Is it just me or is the Morale getting worse? The Col states that we are professional and a great staff yet we are still not valued. We are a warm body in a position number. No matter how well or bad you do, you are a warm body and nothing more.

The Col thinks he is instilling a paramilitary system. In reality he is just giving himslef plausible deniability. As the COL sits at HQ his subordinates will ruin the system. The march to orders of those long gone. As the Col plays his fiddle DC will burn. This will be his legacy.

06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Is it just me or is the Morale getting worse? The Col states that we are professional and a great staff yet we are still not valued. We are a warm body in a position number. No matter how well or bad you do, you are a warm body and nothing more.

The Col thinks he is instilling a paramilitary system. In reality he is just giving himslef plausible deniability. As the COL sits at HQ his subordinates will ruin the system. The march to orders of those long gone. As the Col plays his fiddle DC will burn. This will be his legacy.

Havent you realized the Colonel is just there for political reasons and will move on to Jeb's brother's staff again for a cush job his last 2 years after Jeb leaves office in January. The guy doesnt know anything about corrections and could care less and is just there for spin to the media..

Darth Duck
06-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Promote CSM and run the place. Only when we take over will we stop the problems.

06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Promote CSM and run the place. Only when we take over will we stop the problems.

I just hope a legit DOC person gets the position in January and not a crooked one.

06-01-2006, 01:04 AM
I've got a better idea. Let's all make our New Years resolution now. Let's resolve to all be GONE by the time January gets here. Let the bums have the place, lock, stock and barrel !

06-01-2006, 01:30 AM
SO HELP ME god

06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
I think we need a state wide call - in - sick day. One could only imagine the ramifications.

I used to hate government workers and now I am one as a Probation Officer. I can fully respect what PROBATION OFFICERS do and how demanding this job is. A point really needs to be proven to the leadership and sometimes nonverbal communication is better than anything. As long as society does not build enough prisons and jails we all will be essential. The cost savings to this state are enormous because of Probation and Parole. Imagine if there was no probation and parole......we would need a few more places to warehouse people to allow them to server their sentence. Imagine some house wife serving a few months in Jail because of a bad check to Publix for $120.00.

Just imagine a statewide call-in-sick day, it would be outrageous. Who knows if it would really do anything, it would probably just create more rules and regulations on officers and we would be treated even more like 5th graders.

The morale problem will never be fixed until our importance is understood.

06-01-2006, 04:03 AM
quit by january? call in sick day? No wonder the Col is drug testing us! How can we be taken seriously as professionals with a "demanding job" when posts like this are made.

I like my job as a probation officer and find it offensive that anyone would presume that ALL of us should quit by January. This IS a demanding job and I dont like the new para military offensive we are under. It isn't the answer to fixing the problems created first by Moore and worsened by the thug Crosby. But posts like these make us all look bad. Dont count me in on your childish plans, I have too much work to do!

06-01-2006, 05:58 AM
"para military offensive"? GROW UP, LITTLE FELLA!!

06-01-2006, 10:19 AM
quit by january? call in sick day? No wonder the Col is drug testing us! How can we be taken seriously as professionals with a "demanding job" when posts like this are made.

I like my job as a probation officer and find it offensive that anyone would presume that ALL of us should quit by January. This IS a demanding job and I dont like the new para military offensive we are under. It isn't the answer to fixing the problems created first by Moore and worsened by the thug Crosby. But posts like these make us all look bad. Dont count me in on your childish plans, I have too much work to do!

You really think the colonel cares ? He is there for one thing to play up to the media on Jeb's behalf. If you believe anything else you are very naive. We would still be in the field in ties every day if not for almost a total rebellion on that.

06-01-2006, 10:46 AM

You really think the colonel cares ? He is there for one thing to play up to the media on Jeb's behalf. If you believe anything else you are very naive. We would still be in the field in ties every day if not for almost a total rebellion on that.

Obviously talk or action on an illegal work action is not the answer. PBA would not back you nor would the citizens of the State of Florida. It isn't about us becomming less professional it is about trying to make change. Pissing against the wind bascially.

Luckily we only have 6 more months of this crap. We need to try make a change before then. Actually we have until November to become more active in our communities.

Officers with high morale are just fed up and leaving. They need teachers- maybe a little less pay but a lot less stress and more time off. I see good officers talking about leaving on a daily basis.

Remember Governor Bush made it clear in his firt term that the days of the career civil servant is over. I think he looks at us as a liabilty instead of the dedicated civil servant. Experience is not appreciated. He has proven that he wants us all gone. Like I said before, we are a warm body in a position number.

I hate to say it but I really have to consider the low morale of the past 8 years at election time. My vote is just one but it will be cast for what is best for me not PBA line.

06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I think morale would be better if everybody just stopped being in denial. This job is what the department says it is. If you hate your supervisor then apply the next time one is open. Don't leave it for the bottom of the barrel or just one person to apply. Work within what the employer gives you and stop being so caught up in what you think this department "should" do. In closing if you are smarter than everyone you work with, better than everyone you work with, and just plain unhappy just go away. You are bringing everyone else down. Vote democrat, they are historically better for labor.

06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I would imagine the days are over of promoting someone from within DC to run DC.

I believe what people have realized is that DC is a state agency like any other and should be run as such, with a few exceptions.

The feeling is that things were allowed to get so bad that the Guv would be forced to appoint someone outside of Corrections to make the long-overdue necessary fixes. I believe it also gives this Guv and any future Guv a legitimate reason to appoint someone from outside the agency to run it by saying "we appointed insiders like you wanted and look what they did."

Being Secretary is in and of itself not a law enforcement job, per se; it's primarily administrative in nature. The key, as many have pointed out, is making sure those appointed down the chain have the necessary KSAs to competently do the job.

However, I do fully support him as he has done a tremendous job of housecleaning.

I haven't been too thrilled with some changes Sec. McDonough has done (primarily people who left probably shouldn't and some people still here shouldn't be), but I would agree with the statement that the agency has brought it on itself for allowing some employees to act in a reckless disregard and that many of these changes were needed to send a message.

The truth is, whether any of us want to admit it or not, perception is reality and the media shapes perception.

People are not going to critically look at what we do and judge the accuracy of news reports based on thier own perception. They take thier cue from news reports in newspapers and television and shape thier perceptions accordingly.

I believe this is why there's been a bit of a change in morale, I would submit for the better in some places, that its refreshing to see media reports go from "Employees beat inmates" and "DC Employees just another lazy stateworker" and "COs deal in steroids" and "DC cancels drug dogs after alerting to a regional director's car" to one of "Employees tested for drugs; many volunteer" and "Change in leadership improves morale".

Perception is reality.

Reality shapes opinions.

Opinions shape the legislative process.

Positive opinions help DC employees and funding.

Just some thoughts by an outsider in Tallahassee...

06-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I think morale would be better if everybody just stopped being in denial. This job is what the department says it is. If you hate your supervisor then apply the next time one is open. Don't leave it for the bottom of the barrel or just one person to apply. Work within what the employer gives you and stop being so caught up in what you think this department "should" do. In closing if you are smarter than everyone you work with, better than everyone you work with, and just plain unhappy just go away. You are bringing everyone else down. Vote democrat, they are historically better for labor.

I've seen statements from P&P workers who believe they are smarter than other employees, particularly Correctional Officers and office staff simply because probation officers are required to have degrees.

I can tell you this is quite laughable.

The condescending nature of many of these communications are a primary reason people just shake thier head when P&P says something. The reaction is, "there they go again" and they tune out.

Many of you would be better served if you didn't start e-mails to those in leadership with "I don't know what genius..." and "This is the stupidest..." and "I'm so sick of..."

I'm usually even more entertained by the notion of use of logic as in "Logically, I won't do what you suggest because logically...".

You would be more respected and appreciated if you actually approached the table with a reconcillatory tone with an offer to provide positive constructive feedback.

I've done it and have not had any repercussions.

Merlin
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
You would be more respected and appreciated if you actually approached the table with a reconcillatory tone with an offer to provide positive constructive feedback.

Great post and good advice. Likewise, the same holds true when communicating with offenders.

06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
That's a great theory in a perfect world but you obviously don't work at an office where there would be full blown retribution from a supervisor if you mention anything contrary to HER directives, whether it's policy or not. Yes, I'm talking about Yvette Allen at 06-1

06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I would imagine the days are over of promoting someone from within DC to run DC.

I believe what people have realized is that DC is a state agency like any other and should be run as such, with a few exceptions.

The feeling is that things were allowed to get so bad that the Guv would be forced to appoint someone outside of Corrections to make the long-overdue necessary fixes. I believe it also gives this Guv and any future Guv a legitimate reason to appoint someone from outside the agency to run it by saying "we appointed insiders like you wanted and look what they did."

Being Secretary is in and of itself not a law enforcement job, per se; it's primarily administrative in nature. The key, as many have pointed out, is making sure those appointed down the chain have the necessary KSAs to competently do the job.

However, I do fully support him as he has done a tremendous job of housecleaning.

I haven't been too thrilled with some changes Sec. McDonough has done (primarily people who left probably shouldn't and some people still here shouldn't be), but I would agree with the statement that the agency has brought it on itself for allowing some employees to act in a reckless disregard and that many of these changes were needed to send a message.

The truth is, whether any of us want to admit it or not, perception is reality and the media shapes perception.

People are not going to critically look at what we do and judge the accuracy of news reports based on thier own perception. They take thier cue from news reports in newspapers and television and shape thier perceptions accordingly.

I believe this is why there's been a bit of a change in morale, I would submit for the better in some places, that its refreshing to see media reports go from "Employees beat inmates" and "DC Employees just another lazy stateworker" and "COs deal in steroids" and "DC cancels drug dogs after alerting to a regional director's car" to one of "Employees tested for drugs; many volunteer" and "Change in leadership improves morale".

Perception is reality.

Reality shapes opinions.

Opinions shape the legislative process.

Positive opinions help DC employees and funding.

Just some thoughts by an outsider in Tallahassee...

Perception doesnt have to be reality. We are the biggest employer in the state of course we will have more people get in trouble than a local agencies but the numbers of arrests are close when adjusted for numbers of officers. The media are and have always been very liberal law enforcement hating people. The difference between DOC lately and local law enforcement is they have havent played to the media's tune like DOC has. DOC (Crosby) was unprofessional with how he went on TV right after that Deltona stuff. Local law enforcement's initial media interview would have been to say its under investigation plain and simple and not lay into the media's agenda. Also local law enforcement doesnt drug test people without cause because of a few individuals out of thousands which play into the media's image we are somehow all on drugs and out of control and they must be right or DOC wouldnt test everyone now. Bush is just playing to the media because of his Presidential aspirations in the future. Everything the media hyped is nothing more than high scholl type fight and steroid using incidents but they play it like its some huge scandal of epic proportions and DOC plays right into their hands. Crosby and a few others needed to go but this stuff was so blown out of proportion and the Colonel who doesnt know anything is gonna fix everything - what a joke. I guess he is good for sound bites to the law enforcement hating media to help Bush out.

06-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Perception doesnt have to be reality.

But it is...

06-02-2006, 04:50 AM

I just hope a legit DOC person gets the position in January and not a crooked one.

06-03-2006, 03:03 PM
[quote="Darth Duck":3b07vfns]Promote CSM and run the place. Only when we take over will we stop the problems.

I just hope a legit DOC person gets the position in January and not a crooked one.[/quote:3b07vfns]

I am not stupid enough to think that I could run the entire agency. Hell I really don't know that my work as an officer is all that good. I do, however, expect the administration to practice what it preaches- ACCOUNTABILITY, ETHICS and LEADERSHIP. Not just as a token but to earnestly embrace true leadership. Managers are not leaders. The Secretary needs to look at what type of enviornment he is fostering. He has forgotten that when he commanded troops his officers and NCO's knew the ground rules and that they were expected to perform from the beggining. Basic leadership is lacking. Accountability still means hanging the officer. The expectations of management is more like BMT versus the reality of field grade or staff grade officers. Take the order and march don't give feedback or ask for guidance.

It is more of the same BS. I had high hopes for true changes. We are in a rapid time warp back to the Moore administration. While CO lives their little fanatasy about this agency the reality of what is happening in the field will escape them.

10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Start a New Search | PostTracker
(Note: Documents do not include photos or graphics. Maximum number of stories returned is 200.) Search Term(s): Vallerie rolle AND date(all) 0
No Documents Found
No documents were found for the query you entered.

Please either use fewer search options, or use a less specific query.

Please click here to return to the search page, or use the Back button in your web browser.

To narrow your results, revise your search.