PDA

View Full Version : FHP AUXILIARY

05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I am considering joining the FHP Auxiliary Unit. What are the pros and cons? Thanks

05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Pros:

You get to carry a gun.
You get a uniform and badge.
You get to hang out with troopers.

Cons:

You can get shot.
You can get in a car crash.
You can get hit by a car during a traffic stop.

There are lots more, but someone else might want to add to the list.

8)

05-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Some people might argue that "you get to hang out with troopers" was a con, not a pro. :twisted:

:twisted:

05-29-2006, 01:24 AM
I AGREE, HANGING OUT WITH A TROOPER MIGHT BE A CON.

05-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Pros:

You get to carry a gun.
You get a uniform and badge.
You get to hang out with troopers.

Cons:

You can get shot.
You can get in a car crash.
You can get hit by a car during a traffic stop.

There are lots more, but someone else might want to add to the list.

8)

Does FHP need AUX or are they just wannabees. Is it a good idea for a retired cop from another state to be a FHP AUX? Thanks!

06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
It depends if were a traffic officer (state) then it might be. However in my views they are Explorers with a gun. If you are certified, then I would recommend joining a local So OR city PD reserve. They are actually Police Officer's.

06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I would suggest that you attend an auxiliary meeting and ask your questions there. Many assumptions are probably being made here.

06-02-2006, 06:29 PM
If you are a retired cop I would also recommend looking into a city or so reserve. FHP auxiliary troopers are allowed to patrol alone but can not do any enforcement (traffic stops) unless there are very extenuating circumstances and even then they have to radio for approval. They pretty much just drive around and help disabled motorist. They are able to ride with full time troopers and then basically can do as much as the trooper will let them do to include arrest. But the trooper is ultimately responsible for any reports.

Anyway, in my experience most of the auxiliary guys are older and really don’t want to do much other then wear the uniform and socialize. There are some younger guys that are sharp and do it because they eventually want to get hired. There are also a handful of guys that are middle aged and sharp and would make good cops but don’t want to leave their regular jobs.

My point is for you having been a cop already, you would probably be frustrated by what you are not allowed to do. Most bigger cities and counties have reserve programs that would allow you to be fully sworn if you are certified and you be able to do more including work paid off duty jobs.

FHP does have a reserve program where the troopers are fully sworn but you have to have experience as an FHP trooper to qualify.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. You answered a lot of my questions. I wanted to work part time, but those jobs don't seem to exist in law enforcement is southwest Florida. I live in Charlotte County. I am going to try to get hired as a full time police officer or deputy sheriff since I have received my Florida Certification a few months ago. Thank you all.

06-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Collier County is hiring part time deputy sheriffs

06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Trooper Burgos put a BLACK EYE on FHP. What he did makes me furious. He will not have a friend left on the planet when everyone is aware of what he did. He was unprofessional. He was supposed to protect and serve, not bully and hinder. What good did he serve in doing what he did? I hope FHP sends a clear message to all that work for them that this was not in the interest of justice. This was not in the public interest. He should have had the Lt. ride with him, and taken him to the hospital forthwith. This was a genuine emergency. The Lt. may have had to donate blood or an organ to his son. When time is of the essence, a good cop knows what to do. Trooper Burgos has branded himself a trader and a fool. I hope he resigns, and does not reenter police work. Discretion is needed in police work. Trooper Burgos used very poor judgement. Shame on him!