PDA

View Full Version : WHO WILL BE THE NEXT CAR 1 ???

05-25-2006, 04:20 AM
SO far I have heard the following possibilties. Any of these guys confirm for sure they are running?

Bill Balkwill
Dave Gustufson
Ray Pilon
Larry Dunklee
Kevin Gooding
Al Hogle
Curt Laverello
Terry Lewis
Jeff Bell
Kurt Hoffman

05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Bill Balkwill - yes, no, yes, no, yes, no -- he's always changing his mind and if he doesn't know, then we don't know. :roll:
[/*:m:12eirfki]
Dave Gustufson - yes: he backing Ray Pilon's wife for county commissioner, so Mr. & Mrs. Pilon will throw their support to Gustafson. Gustafson is also helping Donna Clarke in her campaign, so if she wins, then he'll get her support.
Ray Pilon - see above.
Larry Dunklee - yes: he wants Balkwill's endorsement and he's current surrounding himself with his future command staff, to include Chuck Forbis and Mike Pelfrey.
Kevin Gooding: no: he toyed with the idea, but after the Department of Homeland Security hired him, he changed his mind and he is going to stay up Georgia.
Al Hogle - yes: he's been toying with the idea for a long time. Randy Gonzalez will probably be his sidekick.

Curt Laverello - yes: rumor has it he will run under the democratic flag. If he does that, then all the republicans will have to battle it out between themselves - and the winner gets to go up against Laverello.
Terry Lewis - no: the grand theft auto case against him has kept him back, but he might change his mind, after see what's gone on so far.
Jeff Bell - yes: he's toying with the idea. He has a MPA and command staff experience.

Kurt Hoffman - he denies it. [/*:m:12eirfki]IMO this is going to be the BIGGEST election year ever with more republican candidates then we've EVER seen before. If Dunklee get's Balkwill's endorsement, then the GIANT number of candiates will divide up the vote and we'll see Dunk in '08. :lol:

05-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Should be fun, I still say Kurt Hoffman would be the best sheriff, however I know several on that list that would do ok in my book. Dunk however is NOT one of them. Way to much baggage in his background with the Ex-wife stuff, the harrassment complaints his drunkeness (guess he's stopped drinking finally), and of course, no college degree.

DG has a VERY good chance this time around, however throwing a democrat into the mix will make this a very interesting election.

05-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Woow all those people. There is a lot of worthless people on that list. Some people have ran numerous times. Im not sure but If I didnt get it after once or twice. THATS A CLUE in police work

I would love to see a Flroida COP from somewhere else run that has awesome qualifications and not some retread that just keeps running and jumps on a band wagon at the last minute. I

KH denies it but I agree he is the closest on that list that ID vote for. Hes from somewhere else has all the quals and now working for us a short time and has learned the SSO ropes but other than that.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE PLEASE......

05-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Woow all those people. There is a lot of worthless people on that list. Some people have ran numerous times. Im not sure but If I didnt get it after once or twice. THATS A CLUE in police work

I would love to see a Flroida COP from somewhere else run that has awesome qualifications and not some retread that just keeps running and jumps on a band wagon at the last minute. I

KH denies it but I agree he is the closest on that list that ID vote for. Hes from somewhere else has all the quals and now working for us a short time and has learned the SSO ropes but other than that.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE PLEASE......No matter who runs, it will make someone unhappy and people will come on this board and will trash them. :twisted:

Jesus was perfect and He was trashed. In fact, they strung Him up on a cross to die. :roll: :?

Sheriff-style elections suck. :twisted:

05-26-2006, 08:56 PM
This is my 5th election and they are always a pain. If I had it too do over again I would gone city but then again its politics in Govt wherever

05-26-2006, 11:20 PM
How about a professional police executive with some know how? Thats what we need a guy with some executive know how. I think an outside guy that can make some changes we need and still be a considered a local guy is Al Hogle.

I know all have their personal favorites but he would be a big gust of fresh air. I think he will have a lot of backing from the ground up. I don't think he will run if Bill does but what do I know right. We do need to take a good look at Hogle he may be just what we need!

05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Keep the name of Peter Abbott in the background. He may just have had enough of the City Commissioiners and Manager to run when the time comes around.

05-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Abbott has already said he's not interested and he'd be crazy with his pension of over $75,000 a year and a chief salary of over 120.00 and not political time out. No way!

I think we can also safely say Lewis, Gooding or Electra would never make it either.

05-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Gooding is being considered again for Chief of North Port PD according to the Sun-Herald. Interviews are on Friday June 2nd

05-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Keep the name of Peter Abbott in the background. He may just have had enough of the City Commissioiners and Manager to run when the time comes around.Of all the names listed, I like Peter Abbott, but I don't know much about any of the candidates.

05-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Another new guy that I hear people asked to consider to run was the current Police Chief of Bradenton who turned that place around and continues to get things done and the guys seems to like him. He lives in here in the County. He spent like 30 years in DC police.

But he has said flat out that after his Bradenton tour and doing almost 40 years in law enforcement he is done and wants to travel. Venice and North Port tried to get him away from Bradenton. But I think he is out but Abbott or even Hogle would be our best bet.

05-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Another new guy that I hear people asked to consider to run was the current Police Chief of Bradenton who turned that place around and continues to get things done and the guys seems to like him. He lives in here in the County. He spent like 30 years in DC police.

But he has said flat out that after his Bradenton tour and doing almost 40 years in law enforcement he is done and wants to travel. Venice and North Port tried to get him away from Bradenton. But I think he is out but Abbott or even Hogle would be our best bet.I have never worked for or with Peter Abbott or Al Hogle, so I'm not qualified to make a judgement call about them, but on the surface, they both seem like outstanding men with positive attitudes and friendly attitudes.

I've heard a lot of good things about Peter Abbott, but have also heard some SPD officers complain about him. No big complaints, just little ones. I guess that's to be expected, no matter who the chief or sheriff is. But all-in-all, he seems top notch.

I took a class once where Al Hogle was the instructor and I really enjoyed him, but that's my only personal experience with him. He seems like a smart cookie. I haven't heard anything negative about him, except for when someone (on this board) suggested that he would be a good SSO sheriff --> and then he was slammed. Again, that's to be expected on this board.

To be honest, the next election really concerns me, not so much who wins, but all the mud that will be slung by everybody-and-his-brother and by all the name-calling and by all the accusations and geeze O'Pete, it just gets plain nasty during election time. I'm dreading it. :cry:

06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Be careful what you ask for, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT 8)

06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Al Hogle is a pain in the ass although he is very intellectual.

Gooding: Hope Homeland Security took him - love the guy but we need new blood

Lewis - what the hell is the stolen car deal about????

Hoffman - EXCELLENT choice but I dont think he will run.

Gustafson - Has a good shot at it, bar none.

Balkwill - he will not run.

Pilon - He also will not run, i know this much for sure.

Lavarello - dont think he has much of a chance. Met him several times at D1 - very nice, has LE background but I dont think he will be able to do it.

Peter Abbott - Nope - he isnt stupid enough to leave what he has.

Bradenton guy - dont know him.

Jeff Bell - thats a possibility. That could be good or bad. He has eased up a lot since the marital issues - that is good because he needed to bad. I will sit and watch this one for a little while.

Peter Po-Po Poppins