PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an adjective to go with "Detective."

05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm looking for an adjective to modify the noun "Detective."

What I have in mind is those detectives who swagger into restaurants at lunch hour without their coat on so that the servers can see their badges and pistols hanging off their belts for the purpose of getting the half-price lunch.

Now I'll tell you up front that I spent many years as a detective and I almost never wore my coat at lunch time - but what I did do was wear my pistol on my ankle and put my badge in my pocket when I went into a restaurant.

For one thing, I had too much personal pride to expose my badge and gun as if I were trolling for a discount. For another, IT WAS AGAINST OFFICE POLICY for a detective to expose his firearm.

What's changed?

Well, anyway, I'm trying to decide what adjective to use to describe the detectives who are so blatant about hanging out their badges and guns to get half-price lunches. And don't try to tell me that these are feds or some other locals - these are people I know.

Cheapskate Detectives was one of the first things that came to mind, but it doesn't have much of a ring to it. Neither does Tightwad Deputies. Shameless Beggar Detectives? (You could carry a cardboard sign like the bums on the street corners saying 'please give me half price.') :oops:

Anybody have any good suggestions?

:P

05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
How about "Defective Detectives"?

05-25-2006, 12:29 AM
So should every Deputy that is in uniform change and put their gun and ID away before eating. Your a stupid ass...............

05-25-2006, 12:56 AM
"And don't try to tell me that these are feds or some other locals - these are people I know. "

Heres an idea. Since you know who these people are, why don't you go up and ask them yourself? Oh I know, because you are spineless and feel the need to come on here and attempt to make other deputies look bad.

I don't care what they do. If they get half off or whatever, I still don't care. That is the owner's desicion if he wants to give some patrons discounts.

I don't care and I don't know why you do!

05-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Clearly, slick and Thumper don't get it.

1. No, slick, deputies in uniform needn't put their guns away. Guns are part of the UNIFORM . That was a really, really stupid comment. Of course, that may reflect the level of your intellect.

2. For Thumper - I don't care who gets a discount. Have gotten them for years myself; but not by VIOLATING SOP and exposing my gun and badge when in plain clothes.

The point is not the discount - it is the SOP violation. And since I hold no rank it's not my job to enforce the SOP. Actually, some of the violators DO have rank.

Shame on them.

:oops:

05-25-2006, 01:58 AM
I haven't heard this word since middle school....

but, the word "POSER" comes to mind for some reason.

05-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Lunch Hour is correct.........it is against our poilcy. Sad part is that many times these detectives are with, or are supervisors themself violating the SOP.

I am in plain cloths and I never, ever, wear my gun where it can be seen by the public, nor do I put the badge in plain veiw . I hide both as I do not want my food tampered with. You see I would rather pay full price and know that my food has not been tampered with.

They are what you call "Badge Whores"

05-25-2006, 08:17 PM
"You're violating an S.O.P.............WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" :cry:

geeeez :roll:

05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
"You're violating an S.O.P.............WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" :cry:

geeeez :roll:

Another Badge Whore checks in. :wink:

:!:

05-26-2006, 08:35 PM
How about who really cares!!! Eat your lunch, dinner, breakfast and ride off into the sunset Charlie Brown. If you are soooo concerned with it, turn them in. If you can't do that THEN SHUT UP !! :twisted:

05-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Lunch Hour, you still fail to answer my question to you. BTW you confused Thumper and myself.

So I put it to you again. Why do you care? and how do their actions affect you in any way?

I could show you 100 SOP violations going on around this office, deputies and their supervisors all the way up to Majors violating black and white rules. Again, I don't care until it affects me. If the Sheriff and IA don't care, I sure don't!

Stir the pot, stir the pot...

05-27-2006, 12:39 AM
So I put it to you again. Why do you care? and how do their actions affect you in any way?

I care because it demeans the office. :(

How sad that you, and others, fail to see that.

The (undisputed) fact that other SOP violations are taking place is immaterial. To mention that is to justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior - and that is no justification at all. :roll:

Some people have high standards of integrity; others don't. The ones who don't are the ones who wilfully violate the rules.

Carried far enough we see people who violate the rules called "laws." We call them criminals. If it's only an SOP, people like you say "who cares?"

It's just different levels on the integrity matrix.

05-27-2006, 02:15 AM

I care because it demeans the office. :(

How sad that you, and others, fail to see that.

The (undisputed) fact that other SOP violations are taking place is immaterial. To mention that is to justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior - and that is no justification at all. :roll:

Some people have high standards of integrity; others don't. The ones who don't are the ones who wilfully violate the rules.

Carried far enough we see people who violate the rules called "laws." We call them criminals. If it's only an SOP, people like you say "who cares?"

It's just different levels on the integrity matrix.

clap clap clap....you said it all. it is all about one little word :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: "integrity".

THANK-YOU

05-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey Lunch Hour, why don't you run for Sheriff so you can make some real changes in the office instead of hanging from the cross telling everyone else what they should be ashamed of. I agree with you, but since you are the one up here posting, what EXACTLY are you going to do about it? I bet nothing...just blow off some steam here on the board and go back your business...I believe the term I'm searching for is "Put up or shut up"

05-29-2006, 11:19 PM
yes i do too violate that SOP (for a number of reasons not including FOOD discounts), i also violate the one about chewing gum in the public. maybe i mistakingly violate others as well. i am even will to post my name to see if you have the balls to come say something to my face. this board has taken a turn for the worse with some of the cry babies posting. Some need to consider a job change if you think this post is really important? why not worry about minding your damn busniess to start.

05-30-2006, 07:53 PM
yes i do too violate that SOP (for a number of reasons not including FOOD discounts), i also violate the one about chewing gum in the public. maybe i mistakingly violate others as well. i am even will to post my name to see if you have the balls to come say something to my face. this board has taken a turn for the worse with some of the cry babies posting. Some need to consider a job change if you think this post is really important? why not worry about minding your damn busniess to start.

It looks like Lunch Hour really hit close to home with some folks. :lol: My, my, what responses! :shock:

Oh yeah, Anonymous, you neglected to include your name as promised. 8)