PDA

View Full Version : HERALD TRIBUNE INFO - TOM LYONS

05-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Lets use the forum to post items that we'd like the Herald Tribune to look into.

Here's a first.....

Please ask why the sheriff and the Lt over his SRO unit took time out of the last day of school to cook for faculty of McIntosh Middle School. Could it be because Gail Balkwell (Sheriffs wife) is a teacher there? Did the sheriff do this for other schools? Did they take a day off to cook or did taxpayers have to pay for this (I assume the Lt. was on-duty cause he drove his department car)? Who bought the food? Did they use the cooking grills belonging to our FOP? Why would the Lt of the SRO's be off cooking on the last day of school?

05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Lets use the forum to post items that we'd like the Herald Tribune to look into.

Here's a first.....

Please ask why the sheriff and the Lt over his SRO unit took time out of the last day of school to cook for faculty of McIntosh Middle School. Could it be because Gail Balkwell (Sheriffs wife) is a teacher there? Did the sheriff do this for other schools? Did they take a day off to cook or did taxpayers have to pay for this (I assume the Lt. was on-duty cause he drove his department car)? Who bought the food? Did they use the cooking grills belonging to our FOP? Why would the Lt of the SRO's be off cooking on the last day of school?Lets fact it: the sheriff is a constitutional officer and he can do anything that he wants with the tax dollars that are given to him. He makes a proposal to the county commissioners for the total amount, but once he gets the money, he is not held accountable to anyone, except at the next election. Most citizens don't care how the sheriff spends "his" money, as long as crime is low. Lt. Enos cooking hot dogs and hamburgers at McIntosh Middle School is nothing. You can try to turn that mountain into a mole hill, but it's not going to happen. In fact, it's probably good public relations. Soooooo he had a positive effect. Consequently, is it a good expenditure of our tax dollars??? Yes, probably.

If you're going to post scandel, then make sure it's real!!!! Cooking hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids isn't scandel!!!! :roll:

05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
perhaps there is no scandle to report in cooking hot dogs and hamburgers at the annual gail balkwell weinie roast, however the scandle comes to play in the sheriff's decision to chose mcintosh middle over the many other deserving schools in sarasota, venice or north port. why did he choose mcintosh? was it based on the fact that gail balkwill is a teacher there? are other sarasota students going to get a freebee lunch or just the kids that go to the sheriff's wifes school?

scandle 2, was Lt. Anus on duty or off? Department vehicle used or not? Why wasn't the SRO Lt. out supervising his SRO's on the last day of school instead being used to cook weinies? Other SROs are continually warned about being on campus during work hours, yet the gail balkwell wienie roast comes before proper supervision?

scandle 3, did the local officers who pay dues to the fop approve the use of their cooking equipment to be used for the gail balkwell annual weinie roast?

please post the dates of the upcoming weinie roasts at the other schools.

Or, will the sheriff just admit he made a boo boo and favored his wifes school?

05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Dude, wake up, McIntosh Middle has long been a favorite for the Sheriff because his wife works there. Where have you been? Gail Balkwill calls and people jump. McIntosh gets what they want

05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
perhaps there is no scandle to report in cooking hot dogs and hamburgers at the annual gail balkwell weinie roast, however the scandle comes to play in the sheriff's decision to chose mcintosh middle over the many other deserving schools in sarasota, venice or north port. why did he choose mcintosh? was it based on the fact that gail balkwill is a teacher there? are other sarasota students going to get a freebee lunch or just the kids that go to the sheriff's wifes school?

scandle 2, was Lt. Anus on duty or off? Department vehicle used or not? Why wasn't the SRO Lt. out supervising his SRO's on the last day of school instead being used to cook weinies? Other SROs are continually warned about being on campus during work hours, yet the gail balkwell wienie roast comes before proper supervision?

scandle 3, did the local officers who pay dues to the fop approve the use of their cooking equipment to be used for the gail balkwell annual weinie roast?

Or, will the sheriff just admit he made a boo boo and favored his wifes school?Look man, I'm on your side in this ball game, but you're barking up the wrong tree on this particular issue. There is nothing up in the tree!!!! You're attracting lots of attention by barking at an empty tree and we're all looking up into the tree to see what you're barking at, but we don't see anything. All we see is a stupid dog barking up into an empty tree. :roll:

05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Lt. Anus, dont worry dude, if you get busted in the Herald Tribune, you can can make Captain. Stinger made Major with a DUI, so you still got a chance.

05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I spent the last few minutes reading these amazing posts of this horrific act that took place in Sarasota, Florida and this sounds like an incredible idea for an full length motion picture. At the very least, it may make an excellent made-for-tv movie? The premise of this potential movie is just incredible. Imagine for just one moment this Lt. who supervises YOUTH services, cooking hot dogs for YOUTH! I like thie idea, but as you know we'd have to place a Hollywood Spin on this. And, the very strange connection with the sheriff. Hmm, the very same sheriff who made a career out of working with YOUTH, actually getting out and cooking alongside his YOUTH services Lt. and the both highly decorated YOUTH serving administrators doing something in the community for YOUTH! Almost sounds impossible! I sure hope the Herald Tribune doesn't write and give away our possible movie hopes? I can onlu imagine the headlines....

"YOUTH SERVING DEPUTY SERVES HOTDOGS TO CHILDREN"

"SHERIFF PROVIDES LUNCH TO CHILDREN"

The impact of such a horrible headlines to cripple our efforts for this movie. Well, Danny Divito is on the phone now about possible playing the Youth Serving Lt, so more to come!

05-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Lt. Enos chairs, or is seated on, numerous committees and boards in Sarasota County. The members of the committees and boards are City, County and State leaders, as well as educational representatives from the State and the Sarasota County School Board, and representatives from the private sector.

The representatives on all of these committees and boards have a singular passion - to make this community a better and safer place in which to live, work, play and raise families. In all discussions and meetings, Lt. Enos shows initiative, intelligence and a positive demeanor. To work side-by-side with him in attempting to improve our community is an honor, and he has always demonstrated leadership ability and a sense of commitment and follow-through. All of us who know Lt. Enos from this area of public service respect his input and suggestions.

It has always been a given that whether we are public or private employers/employees, a leader is expected to also give back to the community in which he/she lives. I know without doubt that Lt. Enos serving food to children is something that he does willingly, as I have observed him in charitable endeavors serving children in his off hours from the Sheriff's Office.

Usually when someone name calls and makes false statements about another it is only because the child is jealous. Disturbed children are known to behave in this manner. What is quite frightening is that the posters on this thread appear to be employed by the Sheriff's Office, and as such, they are allowed to carry a gun. I would hope that the employment market in Sarasota County has not become so bad that the SSO Human Resources personnel hire persons to wear a badge and carry a gun without performing psychological testing on the applicant's ability to function mentally as a normal member of society.

05-25-2006, 12:31 AM
:?: :?: :?: :?:

SSOber
05-25-2006, 12:47 AM

Or, will the sheriff just admit he made a boo boo and favored his wifes school?Look man, I'm on your side in this ball game, but you're barking up the wrong tree on this particular issue. There is nothing up in the tree!!!! You're attracting lots of attention by barking at an empty tree and we're all looking up into the tree to see what you're barking at, but we don't see anything. All we see is a stupid dog barking up into an empty tree. :roll:

You just don't get it, Do you?!

05-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Whats the big deal...

05-25-2006, 10:25 AM
You just don't get it, Do you?!For this particular incident, no, I don't get it. They had a weinie roast. They are SROs. The sheriff is married to a school teacher. There is no scandel in that. None whatsoever.

Okay Okay Okay, so maybe they used the FOPs BBQ grill (I dunno) -- it's private property, so it's perfectly legal. And if the sheriff wants to spend some of his SRO budget on hot dogs & hamburgers for the kinds, then fine -- there is no scandel in that!!!!

And if the sheriff wants to let SRO Tim Enos cook hotdogs for the kinds on the last day of school --- big deal!!!!! :roll: So the school resource officer helped out at McIntosh Middle School ----- biiiiiiiiiig deal!!!!!! :roll:

If you think the newspaper is going to print an article about SROs cooking hotdogs & hamburgers for the kids on the last day of school, then you might be right, but it won't be a scandelous article -- it will be a POSITIVE one!!!! :lol:

05-25-2006, 12:42 PM
The story here is WHY did the sheriff choose McIntosh Middle School Children over the rest of the schools in Sarasota County. Why did only the children who go to Gail Balkwell's school recieve a benefit from the sheriff's office. Why not Booker? Can other on-duty deputies cook for their schools while being paid by the SSO? I hear the not only does the sheriff's wife teach there, so does Lt. Anus's wife. Why was McIntosh chosen?

Mr. Lyons, that is what we'd like the Sheriff to answer.

05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
in regards to the post about the psyc. screening... it is really not necessary to do these tests and interviews. the main reason being that anyone that wants to work in law enforcement and be subjected to long hours, low pay, constant second guessing, oh and putting your life on the line is obviously ALREADY CRAZY!!!!!!! from one crazy cop

05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Roger that for the last post. I used to interview and cirtify guys for the motor unit.

Two questions:
1 - Are your parents maried?

2 - Did you pass the department phsyc.

If the answer is no to both questions then you are ready for police motor patrol.

Stay safe and you motor cops, keep the greasey side down.

NewspaperGuy
06-04-2006, 04:11 AM
I can see where there might not be any scandals on weenie roasting....

However, I am concerned over the comment that the Sheriff can spend money any way he wants.

That's not true, and I am interested in looking into that.

(for example, like spending $80,000 to have a pro-player play on your softball team).

Let me know where money is being spent inappropriately, and where it is supposes to be going, and I'll look into it.

George McGinn
Police Reporter
The North Port Sun
(941) 429-3000
gmcginn@sun-herald.com

07-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Hello, I'd like to report a barking dog...

07-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I can see where there might not be any scandals on weenie roasting....

However, I am concerned over the comment that the Sheriff can spend money any way he wants.

That's not true, and I am interested in looking into that.

(for example, like spending $80,000 to have a pro-player play on your softball team).

Let me know where money is being spent inappropriately, and where it is supposes to be going, and I'll look into it.

George McGinn
Police Reporter
The North Port Sun
(941) 429-3000
gmcginn@sun-herald.comIt's true: a sheriff can spend his budget any way he wants to. There are only a couple of exceptions to this rule. For example, if he receives grant money for a specific purpose, then he is required to spend that money only for that project. Otherwise, a sheriff can legally spend his money any way he wants to, even to hire a baseball player to play on his baseball team (just to comment on your example). It is legal and legit!!!!

02-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Lt. Enos chairs, or is seated on, numerous committees and boards in Sarasota County. The members of the committees and boards are City, County and State leaders, as well as educational representatives from the State and the Sarasota County School Board, and representatives from the private sector.

The representatives on all of these committees and boards have a singular passion - to make this community a better and safer place in which to live, work, play and raise families. In all discussions and meetings, Lt. Enos shows initiative, intelligence and a positive demeanor. To work side-by-side with him in attempting to improve our community is an honor, and he has always demonstrated leadership ability and a sense of commitment and follow-through. All of us who know Lt. Enos from this area of public service respect his input and suggestions.

It has always been a given that whether we are public or private employers/employees, a leader is expected to also give back to the community in which he/she lives. I know without doubt that Lt. Enos serving food to children is something that he does willingly, as I have observed him in charitable endeavors serving children in his off hours from the Sheriff's Office.

Usually when someone name calls and makes false statements about another it is only because the child is jealous. Disturbed children are known to behave in this manner. What is quite frightening is that the posters on this thread appear to be employed by the Sheriff's Office, and as such, they are allowed to carry a gun. I would hope that the employment market in Sarasota County has not become so bad that the SSO Human Resources personnel hire persons to wear a badge and carry a gun without performing psychological testing on the applicant's ability to function mentally as a normal member of society.

02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
How about writing about all the promotions even though the promoted can't pass the promotion tests?

02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Hello, I'd like to report a barking dog...

Call ASO,,Not my job