PDA

View Full Version : The FTO & the rookie

05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
There once was a rookie and a veteran all paired up for the day...

After squad roll call was taken for second shift, details were given, and equipment check was complete Officer Hudson and Sgt. Casto set out together to tromp the vast land of chaos and madness. But first, to help sweeten up the days work, coffee and donuts had to be bought…except for the veteran, he needed a bagel, some Rolaids, and aspirin because today he’s the FTO.

The rookie is all pumped up ‘cause he is driving the patrol car with his cool new shades. All the ladies are a smiling at him, he’s got a badge, and life couldn’t be better as a new police officer. Well…the veteran gets a grin because he knows stupid next to him has a lot to learn, just like he once did.

“Ok, Hudson”...the Sgt. barks to get his attention away from the women and refocused on the tasks for the day. “Yes, Sir...am ready for anything”, Hudson replies.

Sgt. Casto rolls his eyes, lets out a small groan and proceeds with his conversation in a stern voice, “Kid...you ain’t ready for jack squat, but you know best. Listen, we are on zone 4 & 5 today. Mostly residential, but there are a few businesses that usually have trouble with larceny, B & E, and one has been robbed twice in the last month and a half” said the Sgt. flipping through a department memo, and the rookie’s training sheets.

Hudson speaks up all wired and excited “Cooooool, I see the guy robbin’ the place I’ll get in position to take him down! Maybe knock him around a bit if he’s the guy who’s been doing it for the last two times. Show the community we care” Hudson said nodding his head trying to be sincere and impressive to the Sgt. The Sgt. just kind of stares at the rookie thinking in his head,..."what did I do to get stuck with this idiot today?"

“Mr. Bad Ass just leave the situation to me. I’ll tell you when you can intervene. You need to focus on memorizing the beat, what the area looks like, and what streets are in zone 4 & 5,... got it?” said the Sgt. staring right at Hudson hoping to get the rookie off the apparent high of rushing adrenaline so he would have enough in case something would go down this evening.

Man...he’s just like a little kid with his blonde military cut and blue eyes. It makes him look 18 years old with that medium build. Casto remembers his black hair and brown eyes making him actually look intimidating instead of like spaz boy next to him. Casto spent time in the Marines. The first day at boot camp, the Drill Sgt. told him to get back into his real unit. When Casto replied “Sir, I am a new recruit”, the Drill Sgt. didn’t believe him. Casto’s 6 foot 2 inch height, and broad muscular shoulders and arms made him look like he’d already been through boot camp.

Up and down streets they drive. Hudson waves to all the people, who stare back at him, except the kids...they wave back and shout “It’s a police officer! Two of them! They’re heading to the donut shop I bet!”
Hudson slows down, “Nope! Already been there done that kiddo!” as he tips his hat and smiles checking out the kid’s mom. The Sgt. realizes Hudson has this thing for getting attention. He laughs because someday Hudson will get so sick of all the attention...especially if he screws up.

“Base 213 to 1015 David,...robbery in progress in zone 5 at 457 Florence Street, suspect is 6 feet tall, wearing a black ski mask, black long sleeve shirt, black pants, and is armed with a handgun. 1015 David… please acknowledge..." Hudson fumbles for the radio, shaking with adrenaline..”10...10-4!” The Sgt. snatches the mike out of his hand and hangs it back up. “Go kid! And watch out for people and cars! Don’t hit anything!”

“Yes Sir!...I got it! I got it! Just like in the academy!” Hudson shouts with semi-confidence. Up until today he had never had a robbery call. The Sgt. was nervous because he has a rookie to take care of. Hudson is nervous because he has a Sgt. to impress. They both head into the call with their breathing slightly labored with excitement tingling down their spines.

The convenience store was the usual hole in the wall looking piece of junk every neighborhood seems to have. Tacky orange posters covering the windows and it was no bigger than an average size fast food restaurant. The brown shingle roof and double front doors just made it look dirty. But inside it was actually quite nice and organized. The place stood in its own parking lot.

“Ok, kid. Remember, pull up along side the parking lot, never directly in front of the place” said the Sgt. as they approached. “10-4!” said the rookie, voice shaking with part fear and part excitement. They get out of the patrol car and approach the building. Before the Sgt. or Hudson had a chance in getting close enough to see what was going on inside, a person busts out the front door running off like a bat out of hell. Hudson takes off like a shot chasing the man for a block and a half before the man starts to get tired. Hudson feeling the victory, as he takes pride in maintaining his academy psyche, reaches out...lunges to wrestle the man to the ground. The startled man who has never looked back to see who was chasing him, reaches around and blasts Officer Hudson square in the nose with a hard fist. Well that just doesn’t sit well with Mr. Let-me-show you who’s the boss, and Hudson punches the guy right back. Now the two are fist fighting. One, because in the heat of the battle, fails to recognize his attacker is a police officer, and the other fails to recognize something very obvious. Hudson, now bleeding and very pissed, handcuffs the guy after pepper spraying him, and drags him back to the Sgt. at the patrol car.

The Sgt. is almost in tears laughing so hard as Hudson approaches. “Not bad…rookie” he says. Hudson ****ily replies “Thanks”, and slams the suspect against the patrol car to prepare for a thorough search. Hudson debates about just giving the guy an anal exam for the heck of it for all the trouble he put him through!
“Get off of me cop! You have no right to..." the suspect starts up.
“I didn’t ask you to speak now did I!?!” Hudson shouts.
“Uh Hudson…?” the Sgt. intervenes. “You may just wanna hold off on your search…rookie”.
“No way! He battered a police officer! He resisted an arrest!” said Hudson flinging his arms around speaking quite animated. “Oh this one is just going to get some good jail time!” said Hudson wiping blood from his lip.

“Well, I think he has a good reason to be let go” said the Sgt. moving away from the rear passenger window of the patrol car.

Hudson stops...he peers in and sees a man with a black long sleeve shirt. He looks at his “suspect” and notices he is wearing a white t-shirt and jeans. “What the? Now wait a minute Sgt. Casto…” said Hudson in total disbelief pointing to the suspect in the patrol car and his catch still plastered up against the hood of the car. Sgt. Casto laughs his butt off. Sgt. Casto apologizes to the man for his rookie taking down the wrong guy and offers the man to come to the station to resolve the matter with the Chief of police. All the while Officer Hudson un-cuffs the man and apologizes for the mistake. Once the Sgt. gains his composure, he proceeds to interject some words of wisdom...

“What color are the reports Hudson that we will have to fill out?” Sgt. Casto asks with a smirk.

“Black and white, Sir” replies Hudson wiping his nose with a tissue.
“What color are your shades Hudson?”
“Black, Sir”
What color are your boots Hudson?”
“Black, Sir”…he answers not really enjoying the lesson.
“Ok, good. What cha gonna put down as the suspect description Hudson?” the Sgt. asks trying to contain his laughter.
“Uh…can I put black?” Hudson asks hopefully trying to dodge a meeting with the Chief.
“Nope.” says the Sgt. “That’s the color MY suspect is wearing.” He said.
“But Sir...I...I made a simple mistake! You can’t let me get in trouble for not realizing I had the wrong guy!”
“Officer Hudson,I thought you were ready for anything?” asks the Sgt. crossing his arms and staring at his trainee in all seriousness.

Hudson was no longer smiling. The Sgt. knew Hudson tried too hard to impress, like most do when getting out on patrol for the first few times. He also knew the Chief and the guy Hudson tried to arrest. Not wanting to kill Hudson’s ego entirely he spoke…

“Hey kid?”
“Yes, Sir?” replied Hudson pretty bummed.
“Welcome to law enforcement. You are now a real police officer” He tipped his hat at the rookie and smiled. “Get in the car kid. I get you out of this just this once”.
Hudson smiled. “Great! I’ll never just go running after some guy again! I promise I’ll make this up to you Sgt. Casto…”
“Not while you’re still feeling the pain from this little scuffle” said the Sgt. interrupting him and pointing at Hudson’s face.

Back at the station, every officer caught whiff of Hudson’s ordeal. They all knew what he was going through because everyone has made a mistake at one point as a rookie. But Hudson they had to tease him because his charlie foxtrot was something special.

“Hey Hudson?! What was the suspect wearing?” the guys yelled to him, snickering a bit.
“Black, you asshole!” whined Hudson as he held an ice pack to his head.
“Kinda like that eye of yours, huh?”
“Save the owner again! Save the owner again!” shouted some other officers.
Hudson rolled his eyes, which hurt to do.

Sgt. Casto walked by looking at what a sorry sight Hudson was. ”Sgt! I thought you said you would get me out of this?!” Hudson replied a bit cranky pointing to his comrades.

“Kid, you got in a fight with the convenience store owner who was running for his life away from the robber! Mind you that the guy is who you were suppose to be helping out”. The Sgt. continued…”While you were chasing…THE WRONG GUY because of your over zealous want to be a hero, I managed to subdue the REAL suspect, search, handcuff him, and put him in the squad car. The guy you chased was not aware that you were a police officer ‘cause he never looked back. And by the way that same guy you beat the crap out of and arrested is the Chief’s nephew.” said the Sgt. starting to laugh rubbing his mouth trying to keep from laughing so hard.

Sheer panic and the look of fear came over Hudson’s face. His eyes became very round saucers…“Oh God, I’m fired aren’t I?”

“Hell no. The Chief’s nephew was real understanding as I thought he would be. Besides, he went through the police academy too, but liked the pay of owning his own business better”. Said the Sgt. rubbing his eyes and refocusing them back on Hudson. “He is basically one of our own kind” he added. “The Chief knows you are gonna screw up, but at least you screwed up with another officer-minded individual, not a citizen looking to scream lawsuit. All is cool” said the Sgt.
Hudson’s body completely relaxed…then he smiled a bit.

The Sgt. smiled and said, ‘Kid, we get to do this again tomorrow.”
Hudson looked up kinda relieved, but in disbelief. He groaned, “Can’t I take a day or two off to heal?”

“Nope. That’s the deal with the Chief. You’re man enough to be a cop, you’re man enough to roll with the punches” Sgt. Casto laughed while punching a left and a right fist at Hudson’s shoulders.

Story written by S/O R. Truesdell
22 May, 2006