PDA

View Full Version : Jail to be given to the county

05-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Any idea on the jail going to the county commision as in Orange county and let the Sheriff just focus on Law Enforcement. The jail has gotten really bad and that just seems like a logical idea.

05-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Any idea on the jail going to the county commision as in Orange county and let the Sheriff just focus on Law Enforcement. The jail has gotten really bad and that just seems like a logical idea.That sort of thing would have to be handled between the sheriff and the county commissioners. The sheriff is a constitutional officer, so he would have to be willing to give up the jail. I don't see why he wouldn't want to, but that's just me. He might feel differently. I dunno.
[/*:m:osrw6oe5]
The county commissioners would have to be willing to assume responsibility for the jail. That means that they would have to find a "Jail Director" to run the jail (in place of the sheriff).[/*:m:osrw6oe5]It's a good idea all the way around, but that kind of a decision is way above our heads.

I worked in the jail 25 years ago and it was f*cked up back then. It's funny that today, the jail has the exact same problems that it had 25 years ago. Nothing has changed.

Yes, if the jail was seperated from the SSO with its own "Jail Director," then they could "specialize" and could focus 100% on correctional issues. As it stands right now, the sheriff isn't giving 100% to corrections because he has too much on his platter. Handling law enforcement and corrections (both) is just too much for one person. Both are extremely complex and both are very different from each other. It would be a win-win situation if the jail was seperated. Plus, the jail employees could then bargain directly with the commissioners (regarding their union) instead of going through a middleman (the sheriff).

My .02

05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
It's all about Litigation. No way in the name of Johnny Cochran will the chickens on the BOCC take responsibilty for any lawsuits. They are too busy overbuilding out the county anyhow.

05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Losing the Jail would take 20+ million away from the Sheriff's budget. Don't think that's gonna happen boys and girls. Sorry.

05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Charlie Wells dont have a Problem running both the jail and the road. whats the sso.s proplem with it

05-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Maybe he should run in this county...hmmmm