PDA

View Full Version : Working Gripes

05-17-2006, 01:17 AM
I am so tired of people saying they work over 40 hours, have to buy their own firearm and have to buy their own PO shirts. I do not work over 40 hous per week! I am a CPO with an active on the street caseload of 89 as of today. I have a 2 page pending list on my IT04 and haven't had a late investigation in 4 years. I give the department a good 40 hours of work and NO MORE. If you are doing over 40 under the table then there are big issues in your office. BIG ISSUES. I buy and wear shirts to work that I can wear every day, NO ONE has ever told you that you need a shirt with a badge or Probation on it! There are alot of agencies that require you to buy your own gun, my county SO is one of them. Get over it. :evil:

Darth Duck
05-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Ok everyone on Jose's thread there is no griping. Only put positive statements. I am serious. He is right with time management you can work smart not hard. In some circuits it is tougher becuase that 89 case load suddenly shoots up to 150 in one day when the officer's leave. Turn over is a ***** but I don't think it is unique to the department in some areas. In south Florida people just don't stick around long. I've stuck with the job along time but I started at a prison as a CO. A very crappy prison. So anything at probation has always seems swell to me. Your past experiences affect your paradigm of the world.

Merlin
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
A very crappy prison. So anything at probation has always seems swell to me. Your past experiences affect your paradigm of the world.

You are so correct. Being retired military myself I can honestly say this is by far the easiest job I've ever had. If you don't want to work more than 40 then figure out how to do it more efficiently. This isn't rocket science.

Has anyone tried the microsoft streets & trips with GPS locator 2006 program? It took me about 15 minutes to load in all my contacts and with one click told me who to see first, second and so forth with directions so precise an idiot with a white cane could have made my contacts in a few hours. Too bad DOC doesn't give us laptops, but someday...[/quote]

05-18-2006, 10:03 AM
This isn't rocket science.

Please share with staff.
Post for those who don't have email available.

Merlin
05-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Please share with staff.
Post for those who don't have email available.

Good point. Maybe it's best to post ideas on how to do our jobs more efficiently.

I wonder how many officers utilize interns or volunteers. Have you considered this option? If so, what tasks do you assign him/her?

05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
It's bad enough that we have employees who don't know what they're doing and yet our agency allows "interns" and "volunteers"!! (Although I've never seen a "volunteer") No wonder our agency has so many problems.

1) We spend more time training people than we do anything else. New-hire, transfer, temp-transfer, re-transfer, juggling caseloads... If our agency would train someone and let them DO that job instead of forcing them to pack up and move somewhere else or instead of changing the policy for the dumbest of reasons. I swear, I'm just waiting for the day that the new policy of using blue ink only, forcing everyone to re-write everything ever handwritten. What if we switched from LEGAL size folders to reg. size? The stupidity goes on and on.

2) We spend more time dealing with people who try to act like supervisors and yet have no clue on how we do our job or how the other staff they supervise does their jobs. Whatever happened to being "qualified" to do the job? For example how can a WPSO, Supervisor supervise a CJIT if they've no clue what a CJIT does? But this kind of idiocy happens all the time. Another example is the top dogs who have never been a PO and now are supervising POs and making policy changes to assist the job of a PO. I say, PAAALEEEZZZ!!

3) We spend more time discussing how to, what to and what not to and yet NO ONE is listening!! How many times have YOU been to a staff meeting and watched the guy next to you sketch something. I'm surprised they don't allow crayons and coloring books to staff meetings. How many times do you find yourselves asking the next day "what did they say?" about this, that and the other all because NO ONE listened, NO ONE took notes and NO ONE cares?

There are more problems with this Department, but my time is precious. I spend 40 hours a week doing (or not doing my job, it's in the eye of the beholder) and 10 hours a week driving to and from my job, so I try to limit the times in between that I actually THINK about my job. I'm stressed 50 hours a week as it is, that's enough for me.

But my point is this: interns are great IF they are actually going to DO the job someday. But doing this job just to write a term paper? NO. We have too much to be done without helping someone write a paper. Volunteers? If you find one, I have a front desk they can sit at. But as for doing our jobs? There ARE changes that should occur, but never will and changes that shouldn't and do. It's called working for the State. Realize it and DEAL WITH IT.

GoDevil
05-19-2006, 10:43 AM
MicroSoft Word has all the toos needed to get organized and stay organized. Copy, Paste and Sort will allow you to route and organize your field work. Instead of complaining take a computer course and make your job a lot more efficient and a lot easier. This is not brain surgery we are doing. This is basic patrolling: search and observe. Carry On. GoDevil.

05-19-2006, 10:31 PM
To all those of you who doodle at staff meetings, trainings, etc. - I applaud you, for I too am a Doodler! Whether you're drawing a masterpiece or boxes and stars, at least there is some creative energy flowing in the room. Doodling is what separates us from the animals. :lol:

Darth Duck
05-20-2006, 01:11 AM
All writing instruments and paper are hereby banned at staff meetings due to the outbreak of doodling :x

05-20-2006, 03:18 AM
This is not brain surgery we are doing.

No wonder there are so many with such low IQs!
What college graduated these people? Se hablas English?
(No offense intended)

05-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Que es "brain surgery"? Yo no soy un doctor, yo soy un probation officer. Thank God I took that extra semster of Spanish before the college graduated me, or I wouldn't be able to read some of these postings! :roll: :lol:

08-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Back to postive posting boards and not union junk.