PDA

View Full Version : Toby O'Brien

05-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Toby was a great friend, and a great cop. He will be missed. The Funeral will be held on Friday, the funeral home is in the 600 block of South Macdill, I think the funeral is at 11 am but im not positive about that detail....This will be a police funeral, and the uniform will be class A. Lt. Hartnet will be the funeral commander.

Everyone be safe, and don't take for granite those you work around and care about.

05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. He will be sadly missed.

05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I just got back from Washington DC after attending the annual Police Week services this past week and heard about the passing of Toby. The motto of Police Week is "Hero's are forever." Toby most definately falls into this category. While his death did'nt come at the hands of a criminal he deserves all our respect and admiration for the life he lived as well as the fight he fought against a dreadful disease.

I first met Toby in high school. He was in a few of my classes. His mother who was a P.E. teacher was also one of my teachers. We were'nt close friends but knew eachother and got along well. After graduation I went into the military as did Toby. Many years later after we both got out of the military and attended the corrections academy together. The first day was funny. I walked into class and sat next to this guy that I swore looked familiar. I introduced myself as did Toby. At that point we both remembered eachother and got along great during the academy. Not to mention that we were paired up together during DT training and beat the hell out of eachother for two weeks.

We both graduated the academy and went our separate ways once more. I was working for the Dept. of Corrections and Toby put himself through the academy. Later on we were both hired by HCSO as Detention Deputies and had the pleasure of working together every now and again. After awhile Toby left the HCSO and joined the Plant City P.D. and I went on to become a Law Enforcement Deputy with HCSO. Every now and again Toby and I would cross paths in booking while dropping off a prisoner. I remember Toby telling me that he had been hired by TPD and he was really looking forward working there. It was what he really wanted and from what I have heard he left a lasting impression there.

To Toby's family and close friends I am really truely sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the hurt you must be feeling now. To toby's TPD brother's and sister's you have lost a true comrade who loved the work he did. To the citizens of Tampa you have lost a true asset to the community which can never be replaced.

Rest in peace my brother.

05-17-2006, 08:50 PM
May 17, 2006

TO: ALL DIVISIONS

Chief of Police

SUBJECT: Period of Mourning for Officer Toby O’Brien

EFFECTIVE: Immediately

It is with much regret that I must again issue a directive announcing the period of mourning for a member of the Tampa Police family. After a nine-month battle with Lou Gehrig’s disease, Officer Toby O’Brien passed away on Tuesday, May 16, 2006.

The Tampa Police Department will remain in a state of mourning until 12:00 midnight the day of the funeral. Officers in uniform and plainclothes will wear black bands over their badges during this period and the Department flags will fly at half-mast.

The funeral service and viewing information is incomplete at this time. A separate notice will follow this directive as soon as the arrangements have been confirmed.

The “uniform of the day” for officers attending the funeral is long-sleeve shirt, tie, and hat.

The “uniform of the day” for lieutenants and above attending the funeral is the staff uniform or, if not issued, a long-sleeve shirt, tie, and hat.

All sworn personnel with plainclothes assignments are authorized to wear business attire.

STEPHEN HOGUE
Chief of Police

05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
May 17, 2006

TO: ALL DIVISIONS

Chief of Police

SUBJECT: Funeral Service for Officer Toby O’Brien

Officer Toby O’Brien will receive police honors in a funeral service to take place on Friday, May 19, 2006, at Blount & Curry Funeral Home, 605 S. MacDill Avenue. The services are scheduled as follows:

9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Private Viewing (Family Members Only)
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Public Viewing
Promptly at Noon Funeral Service
*1:00 p.m. Police Honors Ceremony
following funeral service on
the property of Blount & Curry
*1:30 p.m. - until Irish Wake at the Elks Club
3616 W. Gandy Boulevard
*These times may vary – depending
upon service.

There will not be a graveside service or processional.

Please note that parking at the funeral home is limited. However, we have made arrangements for parking at 3119 W. DeLeon Street and shuttles will be available.

STEPHEN HOGUE
Chief of Police

05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Our thoughts are with your department as you say good bye to your friend.
May gods light shine upon you all as you feel his loving arms around you .

06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Can anyone tell me if the retiring of his number was recorded? The funeral home had a video of the inside services, but not the outside. I was his best friend for many years and it is still hard not having him here. I know it has been some years now since his passing, but it still seems like yesterday we were hanging in Ybor. If anyone can answer my question I would be very appreciative. You many email me at work leshag@aaobgyn.com.

06-24-2009, 11:49 PM
The "final call' was done over a police frequency and was most likely recorded. If you know the exact time and date you may be able to request a public records request for it. However I have no idea how long they keep those records for. Toby's badge number was not retired and is worn by a current Tampa Police Officer. I have had the opportunity to tell him about who had the badge before him, and I think Toby would be proud of how he carries himself.

I am not going to disclose his name on this site, but again I think Toby would smile from behind his big stack of chips, sitting at a hold em table somewhere in heaven :)

"Never Alone, Never forgotten."

08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Thank you. I will try to get in touch with them as soon as possible.

08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
To whomever is now wearing my son's badge may you stay safe as all of you in "Blue" during these sad times. Know that our family is always praying for each and everyone of you-may whomever you believe in bless you and watch over you. Bonnie O'Brien-his mom

chipdeblock
08-27-2009, 03:35 AM
To whomever is now wearing my son's badge may you stay safe as all of you in "Blue" during these sad times. Know that our family is always praying for each and everyone of you-may whomever you believe in bless you and watch over you. Bonnie O'Brien-his mom

Thanks for the post Mrs. O'Brien. I'm sure the officer to whom you wrote will be aware of your message. I know that a lot has been going on with the tragic death of Mike Roberts, but please know that we all have the fondest memories of Toby and that he will always be missed. I can tell you with great conviction that there is only one God to believe in who will bless and watch over you, and he's in heaven. God bless!