PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting New Applicants

05-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Do any of you have any thoughts on what can be done to recruit applicants to the Division of Law Enforcement? Let's here some ideas and recommendations on this issue. :?:

05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
How about going on the clock when you leave your driveway? Look at all of the other agencies that have it.

05-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Salary comparable to other departments would be a good start

05-15-2006, 01:02 PM
have your recuitors go to Job Fairs, military bases,colleges and post at the Florida LE academies. You need to be a marketting type peson and a Sharp dressed cop with your campaign Hat.

1) Big video flat screen tv 27 to 32 inch surround sound

2) Have a sharp action recruiting video focus on traffic enforcement,ATVs,Boats,bicycles,four wheeling making contact hunters etc. Something thats gonna catch their eye. You know like a rookie looking for an agency type thing. Put it on a CD too hand out and put it in a information packett.

3) Have a information request attachment on the website so a welcome packett can me mailed to you.

4) At your job fairs have coffee cups,notebooks, pens,book bags--little trinkets too take home. Sounds chessy but just a military recruitor.

5) Last take FDEP Div of LE and break it away from that cheesy FDEP site. People cant even find information on that site without looking for an hour. Yo need good pictures,some music in the background and a real site so If I do a google search itll take right to it. All the other crap can be links on the actual site. Hope my two cents helped

05-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree 100% with the last post!

First, get someone who is willing to go recruiting for people, don't pass it off to the "corporals" who can't figure out how to go anywhere but the office.

Get the message out about who we are. Great idea about a CD with our duties and perks of the job. I, personally, am getting VERY tired of giving people my business card with the DEP web address written on the back. Not very professional.

Give DLE their own web site instead of the DEP main web site. I can't even figure it out! People are relying on 90% of information coming form the internet. You have to get them in and keep them there. If I don't get 100% of the information I need form a business web site, I'm gone. This is important.

Make recruiting a big priority within the ranks. I for one, would be willing to hit the training academies, job fairs, etc. for new recruits.

Make recruiting materials available to all the field officers. We are the first people the public comes in contact with. We can either make it, or break it.

Keep the ideas coming!

05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
first - bump up the pay!

then - how about a salary scale?

i would love to come work for your agency, but i can not afford the huge pay cut! even if i could afford to take a cut, why would i work for 30 years at the same stagnant pay?

05-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Those are some great ideas. I was getting pump up thinking of the possibility of the c/d. I just hope that the information gets passed to O.P.E.T. and they can get it put together.

05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm with a police department, but I'm looking for something else. Pay is important, but we're the second lowest paid agency in the state so I'm sure whatever your salary is, is more than ours. Where can I get more info on how to apply and how hard would be to get assigned in NorthWest Florida? Does your agency let you transfer to another district after one year like the other state agencies?

05-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I hear some good things about the agency, what are the benefits like? amount of leave, health, eductional incentive or prior experience pay? :?:

05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Benefits-good. 3weeks vacation after 5 years, 4 weeks after 10 years. 2 weeks sick time a year.

Health Insurance-good. Blue Cross or HMO.

Educational-POOR. Approximately $1000.00 year for bachelor's degree.

Prior Experience pay- Your joking right?

06-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I called Tallahassee several years ago to see what I had to do to apply.
I was ALREADY Florida LEO certified and was working in road patrol for a S.O. in south Florida when I inquired.
The 1st thing they told me was that I had to take the T.A.B.E test again, and then I had to take the FBAT, or some such garbage. Then, after I met those requirements, I had to go to Tallahasse to take ANOTHER written test to qualify further. After hearing this garbage, I just hung up on the person on the other end. And, to even talk to them, they said I HAD TO BE Florida certified already to even be considered.
Now, after having successfully completed academy basic and taking the state exam, all at my own expense, the last thing I should have to do is take another batch of qualifying exams, some of which I had in fact taken to do so.
Now, I understand the need to weed out undesireables as the process rolls along, but whover is running the asylum there in tallahasse doesn't have a clue as to how to recruit quality candidates. Quality candidates that already meet their so called criteria!
Is it me, or why does it seem that most of the Florida state law enforcement/corrections agencies are so inept in their ability to even properly operate and hire themselves? And to keep good, quality officers in the fold?
Anyone?

06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
After reading your post, it is no wonder no one will hire you! It wreaks of attitude.

06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Mister, with all due respect, I have paid my dues to become a certified law enforcment officer in Florida!
The replication of effort and the redundancies are costing the agency excellent applicants with experience that would make the agency a great place to work for.
But, I've seen this all before, from day one of my career. A politically entrenched beauracracy that is way out of touch with their line officers and line supervisors and who don't care. It's a "good 'ol boy" club at the top, plain and simple.

06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Mister, with all due respect, I have paid my dues to become a certified law enforcment officer in Florida!
The replication of effort and the redundancies are costing the agency excellent applicants with experience that would make the agency a great place to work for.
But, I've seen this all before, from day one of my career. A politically entrenched beauracracy that is way out of touch with their line officers and line supervisors and who don't care. It's a "good 'ol boy" club at the top, plain and simple.

Looke like the DEP system works great!!! You don't get to work there!!

06-04-2006, 01:48 AM
And it looks like you're definitely one of those "good 'ol boys" by your comments.......... how's your nice, cushy office job? Whose "boy" are you? When was the last time YOU went out in the field and did some real police work? OH, WAIT...... YOU can't do that! You might actually have to do something besides suck up to Uncle Buck.............

06-04-2006, 02:00 AM
I've got news for you,sonny. I AM in the field and I've put more people in jail in the past 15 years than you'll ever dream about. I have a great Captain and a great Lieutenant and I don't let all of the Tallahassee politics bother me. You have that stuff with any state agency. And I agree with the guy who posted after me......The DEP system is working great because you don't work for us!!

06-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Oh... I"m impressed!! If you’re in the field, it’s overgrown with psilocybin and you've obviously eaten more than your fill. Tallahassee politics don’t bother you because, if it wasn’t for those politics, instead of arresting people, you’d be asking them if they wanted fries with their order. You’re exactly the kind of boot-licking officer the good ‘ol boys at the top are looking for and exactly the kind that the rest of us don’t trust and don’t want to work with.