PDA

View Full Version : Leadership

05-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok, Secretary McDonough has set the stage- leadership or else. Why is it that, it appears, that no one else is following? We are still in CYA mode. Line leadership is still afraid to make decisions. Mr. Secretary, please make it clear that you were a leader in the US Army and not the old Soviet military complex. If we make a minor mistake, will we still be shot? What I mean is that verbal dialogue and policy appear to be divergent. Leaders cannot lead if they are in fear of termination or oppressive discipline. We are dedicated line staff but we need to know that loyalty goes both ways. Troops follow a leader that cares about the troops. For example the LT the Secretary replaced in Vietnam. He did nothing but later claimed credit that was not his due. His troops supported him instead of the symbiotic relationship that was later formed by the Secretary.

I know the Secretary has a lot of items on his agenda. It appears that we are well on our way to regaining the public’s trust. We still have a long way to go. The public also needs to know that the direction we are going is making themselves, their families, and the community they live in safer.

Darth Duck
05-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know, when I was a commissioned officer in the Army many of the battalion commanders were mega-ego maniacs who were a little out of touch with reality. Also one mistake, one bad officer evaluation and no promotion. No promotion=90 days to vacate back then. I am not saying I disagree with the Colonel's policies but I am a little cautious of senior field officers from the military. I also am not fond that our agency seems to be the only one that can be run by a non-certified person. FDLE's resigned and they went straight to an experienced law enforcement officer. I sort of see it as a slap in the face by the Governor that the rank and file of 27,000 employees cannot hold the position.

05-16-2006, 11:58 PM
What I don't get is that anytime DOC is in the press, it is always how they are trying to "fix" us. I think the powers that be don't get that sticking up for their employees and showing some level of trust is not bad publicity. Other law enforcement agencies back there officers until they have been proven to be in the wrong through due process. We on the other hand are guilty before there is an investigation and then to save face, they'll find something wrong. THAT is bad publicity. Col. mcDonough and Central Office, you want people who work hard, then treat them like adults and be reasonable. Not verifying someone's employment is not going to make an offender commit a new crime. We are not supervising people who just happened to be placed on probation, they are criminals, many repeat offenders. I don't know of any other agency where the officers are responsible for the actions of those they encounter.

05-17-2006, 01:21 AM
I always though that the PO side and the Corrections side should be seperated into 2 very distinct organizations with there own Department head. Our missions are so so very different.

05-17-2006, 03:27 AM
I was never in the military, but I heard something interesting the other day. Why did a West Point graduate (our Secty) only reach Lt. Col and not a full "Bird"? It seems odd that he did not rise higher in rank for such a distinguished career.

NIGHT RANGER
05-17-2006, 03:29 AM
I really believe that CYA and double talk by our leaders is a product of -Serving at the Pleasure of-........................get rid of this political Serving at the Pleasure of stuff and watch DOC turn into a better organization. As an organization, we really need to grow a spine and logically understand that we cannot control the actions of others. We can do our best to supervise and to arrest offenders when there is a willful need but it is faulty logic to believe that we can stop joe offender from killing someone.

Also remember, for those in power now at the highest levels of DOC that they have never had a perfect case load and that without a doubt things fell through the cracks for them.

With no disrespect, they expect us to be better than Jesus when doing this job.

A reality check must be done and officers must be treated better.....stop all the double talk and define our role.

05-17-2006, 04:28 PM
i beleive you are correct. i have military experience and it appears something is not right with this. Come on a Lt.Col from West Point should be a General !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mystikwarrior
05-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Come on a Lt.Col from West Point should be a General !
Interesting statement. Just why is it you think every officer who graduates from West Point will make General before they do like McDonough and decide to get out?
What military experience did you have? Peelng potatoes?
One thing I see quite a bit here is a total disrespect for the chain of command. POs saying in so many words "all supervisors are idiots that should leave the decisions to line officers". They forget of course that their supervisor used to be a line officer. And they could find themselves promoted to supervisor tomorrow and suddenly be forced to admit to themselves that they are also now an incompetent idiot since they are a supervisor.
Don't knock the head cheese and how he does his job until you've stood in those shoes. And in the meantime be a good soldier and do what you're told.

05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
If I wanted to be a "good soldier", I would have stayed in the military. What I am is a good employee. All I ask is that the powers above extend the same respect that they expect from us. My circuit worked their butts off getting all the late investigations current and our contacts above respectable. I know what some of you are going to say, "Well you should have been doing that all along, in my circuit....". I happen to work in South Florida where the turnover rate is very high. A lot of times, those officers who know they are leaving stop working and then BAM, your stuck cleaning up a mess, so for what our circuit did, it was a big deal. My point is, instead of taking the time to make this a moment to encourage the employees to continue to strive, all we got is a memo on how we needed to make sure all of TR movements are within 2 days or we will receive discipline. I'm not looking to be cuddled, but come on, if you want the dog to be loyal, throw him a bone once in a while. :?

05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
CYA

Merlin
05-18-2006, 12:28 AM
If I wanted to be a "good soldier", I would have stayed in the military. What I am is a good employee. All I ask is that the powers above extend the same respect that they expect from us. My circuit worked their butts off getting all the late investigations current and our contacts above respectable. I know what some of you are going to say, "Well you should have been doing that all along, in my circuit....". I happen to work in South Florida where the turnover rate is very high. A lot of times, those officers who know they are leaving stop working and then BAM, your stuck cleaning up a mess, so for what our circuit did, it was a big deal. My point is, instead of taking the time to make this a moment to encourage the employees to continue to strive, all we got is a memo on how we needed to make sure all of TR movements are within 2 days or we will receive discipline. I'm not looking to be cuddled, but come on, if you want the dog to be loyal, throw him a bone once in a while.

I hear what you are saying. DOC certainly could use a lesson on the value of positive reinforcement with not only the employess, but the offenders as well. Just curious when was the last time you told one of your probationers he was doing a good job at his community service work site or something to that effect? I think most POs don't use positive reinforcement to manipulate motivation and it simply carries through till they become supervisors. Being surrounded by so much negativity and an environment of zero tolerance does have it's drawbacks.

05-18-2006, 01:11 AM
What I don't get is that anytime DOC is in the press, it is always how they are trying to "fix" us. I think the powers that be don't get that sticking up for their employees and showing some level of trust is not bad publicity.

Listen to what the Secretary is saying. He says we are hardworking, dedicated, and honest. What he says he is fixing is not us but the coporate culture and public trust.

Lets hope that the stupid dicipline for minor things stops. It would be interesting if they gave letters of counseling, letters of repromand, Article 15's or court martials for every little indescretion in the military. The Secretary failed at his primary mission in Vietnam. He lost the village. One of his troops tried to kill (Or intimidate him with a gernade launcher) him and he had problems with substance abusers. He took no action other than to show leadership. It was not because he was not dillegent or weak in any manner. It was because the situation was against him. Did he get fired? No he was promoted and continued on to have a great career.

My point is that he showed loyalty to his men and they performed to the best of tehir abilities. The overall goal was not met but it was out of his control. We are in a similiar situation where things sometimes get out of control.

The main thing that needs to be fixed internally_ MORALE MORALE MORALE

Merlin
05-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Lets hope that the stupid dicipline for minor things stops. It would be interesting if they gave letters of counseling, letters of repromand, Article 15's or court martials for every little indescretion in the military.

If you were on active duty you may remember the levels such as verbal warnings/counseling, verbal reprimands, written letters of counseling, written letters of reprimand and so forth. The problems I've observed is that DOC skips the verbals and goes directly to the written reprimand (punitive approach). LEAD LEAD LEAD people; that includes mentoring, educating, guiding, setting a good example, encouraging, counseling, etc. etc.

FYI - sending emails to the line staff with a three word statement, "Read and Comply" is not leadership. We have admin staff for that purpose IMHO.

Darth Duck
05-18-2006, 01:47 AM
The secretary has written several books. One of them is on being a platoon leader. I would like to get a copy just to see what it says. There are alot of reasons a person retires at LTC. Much of it has to do with timing. The Army down sizes and positions become short. When I was in they had Lieutenant retention boards to 1LT. That is something that became an automatic promotion a couple of years later. I have no doubts about this secretaries integrity or motivation.

05-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Well Merlin, thanks for writing. As a matter of fact, I do give positive feedback to my offenders when they deserve it. I have always been very matter of fact with them. I also absolutely agreed with the person who wrote about how discipline has eroded to just 2 steps- written and fired. I guess my questioning of the leadership is not directly aimed at the secretary, but at central office down through the regional and circuit administrators. I am lucky, I work for a good supervisor (I have done my time working for the incompetent ones) and I believe that many of the supervisors have been placed into a position that they feel a need to start discipline in order to save their own jobs. I have been with DOC for almost 10 years- I'm getting screwed out of the raise- and it wasn't until the Deltona incident that I have seen so many people fired and demoted. And for the first time, this includes supervisors and above. I just want the people who have control to understand that the majority of the employees are hard working people and to give us the benefit of the doubt. Jeez, even my offenders get a hearing and the judge has to find them WILLFULLY in violation before finding them guilty.

05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Platoon Leader is his first command in Vietnam. Great book and it should be read by anyone who becomes a new supervisor (hopefully supervisor and leader will become synonymous.) This gives some real interesting insight into the world of leadership. I suggest you read this one!!! I read this one in the early 1990’s and reread it after Secretary McDonough was appointed.

The other books are the defense of hill 781- this book is basically a walk through of the National Training Center. It has some good leadership comments. It is really about tactics and strategy for employing armor.

The Limits of Glory is about the battle of Waterloo. I am still reading it.

Merlin
05-18-2006, 02:59 AM
I also absolutely agreed with the person who wrote about how discipline has eroded to just 2 steps- written and fired.

Proof positive leadership is absent. Maybe they should start sending us emails that say, "Read and comply or submit your resignation." :lol:

05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
If you want positive reinforcement, go back to daycare! This is corporate America, if you need warm fuzzies work in a lint factory. Wake up people. Prove yourself and the accolades will come. Sharkman wrote "What you feed grows, what you starve dies." If you feed on all this negativity it will only grow.
By the way, for those of you who prayed BOBO was still banned, God has answered! The answer was NO! I'm back!!!

mystikwarrior
05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Lets hope that the stupid dicipline for minor things stops.
Who gets to decide what is 'minor'?
Curious how you feel about zero-tolerance for your cases. Same thing.

Prove yourself and the accolades will come.
Really? In corporate America if you're lower or mid-level, hard work will get you one thing. More work. Handling 100 cases with ease? That means your supervisor can dump 40 more on you when another PO goes on medical leave. Since you are so good you'll end up keeping those cases. They won't reward you for your hard work. They'll use you.