PDA

View Full Version : Ton Lyons

SCPD1727
05-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Lyons is your typical liberal newspaperman trying to get ahead in his business, which is slowly going out of business. In the near future, the New York Times, which owns the Herald-Tribune will not be selling enough papers to keep the advertisers happy and Lyons will take to alcohol to calm his nerves over his unemployment. Then one of us will stop him some day and listen to him plead to treat him like one of us. Yeah, Right!!!

05-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Lyons is your typical liberal newspaperman trying to get ahead in his business, which is slowly going out of business. In the near future, the New York Times, which owns the Herald-Tribune will not be selling enough papers to keep the advertisers happy and Lyons will take to alcohol to calm his nerves over his unemployment. Then one of us will stop him some day and listen to him plead to treat him like one of us. Yeah, Right!!!Tom Lyons is a good egg, but it's his job to print both sides of the story, which he does very well. However, many of us (LEOs) don't like to read about the other half of the story, but that doesn't make it any less important, espicially to the civilians. I understand both sides of the story (cop side & civilian side). If you really think about it, Lyons does a wonderful job of pointing out both sides of the story (both extremes). However, when he points out the non-LEO extreme, it seems to piss some (not all) LEOs off.

05-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Tom Lyons is a leftist SHT writer. :evil: His column trashing LEOaffairs presumes too much. Eric 'Digdog' Deggans of the leftist St Pete Times did the same thing. Their flawed logic goes like this: There's a posting on Leoaffairs that offends my leftist journalistic sensibilities. Therefore, LEOaffairs is bad.

Leftist journalists hate when others use free speech. Tom 'Digdog' Lyons is one of them.

05-13-2006, 12:28 PM
:!: Sarasota Herald-Trib had an open message board a couple years ago, on the front page of their online edition. All manner of people posted, and SHT got nervous & took it down. So Digdog Lyons should quit bashing LEOaffairs for having the ballz to sponsor a message board, when the hairless wonders at SHT couldn’t hack it.

05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
In the near future, the New York Times, which owns the Herald-Tribune will not be selling enough papers to keep the advertisers happy and Lyons will take to alcohol to calm his nerves over his unemployment.

What makes you think he doesn't lean on the booze already? Frequent flyers tend to let others do the fly'n while they sleep it off in the 1st class seats.

05-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Tom Lyons I guees you are reading this web site wich is not a bad thing. One problem I have with your artical is, the officer on the seen did his job, cop or no cop he arrested him. Lets look at the real problem the order came from above whitch is all friiends of BB who made the call to unarrest some one. It seems to me you might want to look at all the promotions since he took office. One man who was arrested for DUI was demoted but his pay stayed the same then a year later he was promoted with a raise. Sounds like the sheriff is only taking care of his boddies. That is one reason we can not blame this on the officer. Maybe we need some one from the outside to take over and fix things. We also have a deputy who has come out Number one on the written test the last three years. Some how he still has not become sgt. Maybe thats because he carried the wrong sign. At election time. So my point is the person who is most qulified for the position is not getting the jobs. The people who are getting promoted are only the ones who caried the right sign. Sounds like that is your problem, not the guy who was doing his job and arrested the subject. This department is falling apart people are leaving every day for this treatment. We are also the 2nd richist county in florida but we are 10 on the pay scale on just the suriunding counties. The union has ask for a 5 percent raise. THE sheriff is offering 0 sounds like fair bargining. We are under staffed in all areas except supervisers. I think this is something you should look into instead of ripping on the officer who made the arrest. Do a public request to find out hov many people are working. A little hint when you get it, it will not be correct because it has people on the sheet who have not work for this agency for several years. Also find out about who gets bonus and how much and how often. Where has this money gone? Every area in the department is short handed but he still goes to the county commision and ask for more people, we just never seem do get them. He has already gone in the last 6 years and we still have not filled any of the positions. Sounds like the money is going elsewere. SO if you really want to write a story find these facts and write the truth. I think it is time for the govanor to step up and kick him out and get some one from the out side to fix these problems.

05-15-2006, 02:40 AM
Local LEO, hope you all don't mind the intrusion

Mr. Lyons,

This is in response to your article about Lt. Bonner and his run-in with Sarasota Depuites on Siesta Key.

First of all I think I can assume with absolute certainty that you were not present at Gilligans Bar when this incident occurred. Therefore you cannot say to what extent Lt. Bonner struggled with thoe deputies. He may have just stepped backward a couple of times or maybe he moved his arm away as the deputies tried to grab an arm to lead him out of the bar. Whatever the extent he struggled it wasn't enough to be charged with.

In over a decade of law enforcement I have encountered various degrees of resistance from people whom I was trying to detain or arrest. And I can tell you that not everyone of them was charged with Resisting Arrest.

Secondly, the bar manager told the deputies he did not want to press charges against Bonner for trespassing. Without the managements cooperation the deputies COULD NOT make an arrest for trespass (a misdemeanor by the way). If you don't believe me call the Sarasota State Attorney's Office for yourself. This applies to everyone, cops, private citizens, and yes even newspaper reporters.

Lets now define the word Discretion which is what every law enforcement officer in the nation has the ability to use. They teach this in the basic recruit academy.
Discretion: The power of a public official/employee (Police) to act and make decisions based on his/her judgement within the bounds of reason and the law. Simply put every law enforcement officer in the United States has the ability to decide if they are going to make an arrest or not.
Not everyone who breaks the law goes to SLAMMER (your words) as your article suggest. Given the same circumstances a non-cop (as you put it) would probably went home after the deputies called someone to give him a ride. That would have been the end of it for the NON-COP.
However Lt.Bonner is not a NON-COP. The deputies did their job and even documented what had happened in a report otherwise you would never had known about it and wrote your article (as oner sided as it is).
Lt. Bonner by now has been informed he will be investigated by his departments Internal Affairs Division. If he is found guilty by the IA division he will be faced with a disciplinary action that could range from suspension without pay to a dismissal. Would that satisfy you, probably not.

It's easy for you to sit in your office, behind the safety of your computer, and make conclusions to events that you were not a part of. The worst thing you have to worry about, as you sit in your cubicle, is getting a paper cut or thinking of new ways to bash law enforcement.
This is not the first time you have taken an oppotunity to use your newspaper as a sounding board which makes me wonder why you are so criticle of a profession you have never been a part of.

Your views are one sided and the people who read your paper only here what you have to say. They think what you write is the complete truth which is far from it.

Next time you decide to write a scathinmg article make sure you know a little about what you are talking about first. This article proves that you do not. Why don't you try walking a mile in our shoes before you write your next article.

PRINT THAT

[/u][/b]

CTFUUU
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
KP, you're right on point, but you forgot about the part of "reasoning" with any intoxicated person. The old adage of "instant arsehole, just add alcohol", is so true. Some people become unreasonable when they drink, that goes for cops and private citizens. I can't tell you the amount of times I have tried to reason with a drunk in my 17yrs of LE, but I've always tried to take the best course of action, which I beleive those two Deputies did.
As far as the management not wanting to press charges, I'm sure Mr. Lyons thinks that the two Deputies who responded "talked the mgmt out of pressing charges"......WRONG! People who work in the bar/club industry work with unreasonable, intoxicated people all the time and it is on rare occasion that they choose to trespass any patron. They know that some people just "can't handle their liquor". I'm sure Mr. Lyons has witnessed this himself on at least one occasion, maybe at a party or club, where one of his friends or acquiantances became intoxicated and unreasonable. Was that friend or acquiantances actions "unruly" enough to warrant them being taken to jail?
I applaud the two Deputies who "did their job"! Now as far as the cops who call them "rats", shame on you for thinking that any cop is above the law or above scrutiny. Those cops did their job, this incident is on Lt. Bonner. If Bonner can't handle his liquor, then maybe he needs to stop drinking or keep his arse at home when he is drinking! :idea:

Jack Mehoff
05-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Tom Lyons I guees you are reading this web site wich is not a bad thing. One problem I have with your artical is, the officer on the seen did his job, cop or no cop he arrested him. Lets look at the real problem the order came from above whitch is all friiends of BB who made the call to unarrest some one. It seems to me you might want to look at all the promotions since he took office. One man who was arrested for DUI was demoted but his pay stayed the same then a year later he was promoted with a raise. Sounds like the sheriff is only taking care of his boddies. That is one reason we can not blame this on the officer. Maybe we need some one from the outside to take over and fix things. We also have a deputy who has come out Number one on the written test the last three years. Some how he still has not become sgt. Maybe thats because he carried the wrong sign. At election time. So my point is the person who is most qulified for the position is not getting the jobs. The people who are getting promoted are only the ones who caried the right sign. Sounds like that is your problem, not the guy who was doing his job and arrested the subject. This department is falling apart people are leaving every day for this treatment. We are also the 2nd richist county in florida but we are 10 on the pay scale on just the suriunding counties. The union has ask for a 5 percent raise. THE sheriff is offering 0 sounds like fair bargining. We are under staffed in all areas except supervisers. I think this is something you should look into instead of ripping on the officer who made the arrest. Do a public request to find out hov many people are working. A little hint when you get it, it will not be correct because it has people on the sheet who have not work for this agency for several years. Also find out about who gets bonus and how much and how often. Where has this money gone? Every area in the department is short handed but he still goes to the county commision and ask for more people, we just never seem do get them. He has already gone in the last 6 years and we still have not filled any of the positions. Sounds like the money is going elsewere. SO if you really want to write a story find these facts and write the truth. I think it is time for the govanor to step up and kick him out and get some one from the out side to fix these problems.

whewwwww.....nice job with the english langauge....don't enter the next spelling bee

05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Your an Idiot, That is all you can come up with is the spelling, You Moron, That was a great statement you fool but that is all you can say. Hopefully you are not on the road but that sad truth is you probably are.

03-20-2007, 12:22 AM
[quote="SSO1"]Your an Idiot, That is all you can come up with is the spelling, You Moron, That was a great statement you fool but that is all you can say. Hopefully you are not on the road but that sad truth is you probably are.[/quote

come on.... if you're going to write something, even if you are a poor speller, at least check your spelling and grammar, as to not show your ignorance.

03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Your an Idiot, That is all you can come up with is the spelling, You Moron, That was a great statement you fool but that is all you can say. Hopefully you are not on the road but that sad truth is you probably are.[/quote

come on.... if you're going to write something, even if you are a poor speller, at least check your spelling and grammar, as to not show your ignorance.

I agree completely! As I tried to read that post, my brain started cramping and tripping over all the awful spelling.

03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I love Tom at least he has the Balls to print some of the dirt going on inside the SSO.
Go Tom Go