PDA

View Full Version : jail staffing

05-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Capt Scott brought up the jail staffing issue at the last STARTRAC & told the Sheriff that we can't recruit like MSO can because of the pay scale. Rather than take interest in that fact, the Sheriff got mad at him for sayting that!

05-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Capt Scott brought up the jail staffing issue at the last STARTRAC & told the Sheriff that we can't recruit like MSO can because of the pay scale. Rather than take interest in that fact, the Sheriff got mad at him for sayting that!That issue should not have been raised at STARTRAC because that is a hardball, loaded statement. STARTRAC is designed for the easy-to-solve problems. If you present a problem that seems impossible-to-solve (at the moment), then it makes the sheriff look bad. :shock:

I agree that recruiting & pay for the jail needs fixing, but pointing it out at STARTRAC was inappropriate. It should have been done behind closed doors where others aren't present. ;)

05-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Capt Scott was asked a question and answered it truthfully.... was he suppose to lie when questioned? They asked the question....now they need to address the answer!

05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
This sounds like a very good question to ask Jim Ley and the Commissioners-as we will once again be faced with this issue. Where will the next "hard ball" game be played? What will be the stakes?

05-27-2008, 04:53 AM
I heard that instead of filling positions with the Road Gang deputies and the Accreditation Sgt., they CREATED NEW POSITIONS!! When is the lunacy going to stop? You would think that nobody in Sarasota County has any idea how to trim a budget! Those people were supposed to fill vacancies in the jail, and they are being put into surplus positions. There are still deputies and Sgt's doing civilian jobs, It feels like Reno 911 around here. And there are 2 Lt's that are retired rehires over 70 years old, I thought that was too old to even be a CRS.

05-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Capt Scott brought up the jail staffing issue at the last STARTRAC & told the Sheriff that we can't recruit like MSO can because of the pay scale. Rather than take interest in that fact, the Sheriff got mad at him for sayting that!

I don't understand your point. Does MSO pay more money to jailers? Or do you mean that MSO is a better place to work with more benefits, etc?

05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
The biggest problem is with the Major in charge........Stinger sucked as a Cpl on the road almost 20 years ago and he hasn't changed.....He is a alcoholic, bloated, arrogant ass that hopefully only has a few months left here...........

05-27-2008, 02:15 PM
The biggest problem is with the Major in charge........Stinger sucked as a Cpl on the road almost 20 years ago and he hasn't changed.....He is a alcoholic, bloated, arrogant ass that hopefully only has a few months left here...........
The next sheriff, no matter who he is, is going to kick Stinger outta here!!!! Seeeeeeeya buddy!!! :lol:

05-28-2008, 03:58 PM

What are you talking about about you get parity pay to a street cop. That should be the case. Its doesnt take a college degree to be a C.O. sorry but that is facts. Jail is a jail. That will never change. Do away with that stupid South Jail and bring those people North and put the the road gang bak into play and stop cottling to these stupid prisoners. If they are sentenced they should be making street signs,digging ditches or reparing the roads.

As far as South County Jail. A patty Wagon is more feasable and practicle. Put a copier in there have road deputy or city cops meet you half way and load em up. Throw them in holding and when you get a chance process them. This crap of waiting 40 mnutes needs to stop. That is sheer laziness and the 250 sgt not doing their job.

05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
What are you talking about about you get parity pay to a street cop.

when did we start getting parity again? i will look for that raise next wednesday... :roll:

i am not even going to address the other things this guy said - obviously a troll and knows very little about the jail.

05-28-2008, 09:55 PM

What are you talking about about you get parity pay to a street cop. That should be the case. Its doesnt take a college degree to be a C.O. sorry but that is facts. Jail is a jail. That will never change. Do away with that stupid South Jail and bring those people North and put the the road gang bak into play and stop cottling to these stupid prisoners. If they are sentenced they should be making street signs,digging ditches or reparing the roads.

As far as South County Jail. A patty Wagon is more feasable and practicle. Put a copier in there have road deputy or city cops meet you half way and load em up. Throw them in holding and when you get a chance process them. This crap of waiting 40 mnutes needs to stop. That is sheer laziness and the 250 sgt not doing their job.

Your post only shows how dumb you are. The jail is a tough place and it is not as easy as you think. You probably cry when you have a conflict with one person. Try 40 inmates at once and being locked in a room with them. Like any part of the agency, there are always some that make the rest of look bad. I have been on both sides and I have to say that the jail is tougher than the road hands down. I would try to explain it to you but obviously you would not understand. Finally, 250 is a thing of the past. Intakes take mere mintutes due to open booking. If you had a clue and were so "connected" you would know this.

Finally the co's could process faster if the road guys did not take hours to write a pca and turn it in. It is a team effort. If you work for the SSO quit. We don't need your ignorant small time know it all attitiude. Keep up the good work jailers!

05-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Your post only shows how dumb you are. The jail is a tough place and it is not as easy as you think. You probably cry when you have a conflict with one person. Try 40 inmates at once and being locked in a room with them. Like any part of the agency, there are always some that make the rest of look bad. I have been on both sides and I have to say that the jail is tougher than the road hands down. I would try to explain it to you but obviously you would not understand. Finally, 250 is a thing of the past. Intakes take mere mintutes due to open booking. If you had a clue and were so "connected" you would know this.

Finally the co's could process faster if the road guys did not take hours to write a pca and turn it in. It is a team effort. If you work for the SSO quit. We don't need your ignorant small time know it all attitiude. Keep up the good work jailers!

Nice post!

05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
MUST BE A ROAD REJECT.

05-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Nice post!

Too see someone only show their true colors and bust on someone only proves to me the lack of intellect or their within. I agree when I worked in the jail it was a way of words however it did not require a any special skills other than patience and common sense.

The person that stated above in reference to the the jail was more hard than the road. I can simply say you have not made a veteran Correctional Officer much less a Veteran Deputy Sheriff. here was nothing hard about the jail that I remember other than being just tired from running your butt off processing intakes. Once the inmates learned you dont get them squat and you lock them down if they run their mouth. It was pretty easy. Its certain Officers in the jail that run get them laundry sheets or towels or allow them to wear there pants at their waist or more than one uniform or let them string sheets across the cell blocks. I can tell you that once you let them know its your block treat them with respect but lock em down for 8 hours they tend not to mess with you.

The road on the other hand is a bit more challenging. You must recognize a crime take what you have learned be able to apply it and make a solid Arrest and yes that means type a thorough PCA not caring if they are in a holding. I dont recall having to talk on a radio, drive a car, look up a address on GPS run code or drive fast and then get there and run someone for wants and warrants while separating domestics from a kitchen or have them together in a livingroom until back up arrives.

To say that the jail was harder is a bold face inaccurate statement.

The south jail is a accurate statement as it is waste of money. A patty wagon would be more efficent and would get Officers out of the jail out on the road. I know with this new processing one can only wait and see how this turns out but you can not deny the waiting on a correction officer was outrageous and uncalled for. I would of gladly processed my own but certain supervisor in the jail refuse to let you.

As far as the parity pay mentioned. It is close so that shouldnt be the issue here.