PDA

View Full Version : Rift between BPP and BEI for Capt Gibson

05-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Capt, my question got lost in the mix on the other thread. Would you please comment on the on-going rift between the two bureaus? We seem to be drifting further apart instead of getting closer.

I truly believe that we should merge the two bureaus and just have the DLE.

I appreciate your coming here and answering our questions.

05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
There is a rift due to the fact that the two bureaus are treated differently by upper management. Look at the inconsistent policies such as where you can live and work. Depending on who you are you don't have to abide by the general order regarding mileage and the pay disparities. These are a couple of examples and there are many more issues. When we request an investigator to look at a environmental issue it takes an act of congress to get a response. There is also the issue of selected enforcement by BEI of what case you can enforce or can not enforce. I thought as a law enforcement you were obligated to investigate all crimes and not be selective regarding the protection of the environment. Is it true that you have to get permission before you can investigate an environmental crime? If so why? You also don't play well with others and try to divide yourselfs from your sister bureau. When we needed you the most, You let us down by not helping us out on the holidays and weekends during the busy summer seasons. I understand that you complained so much that management stopped you from helping the park patrol during the busy times. These are just a few reasons for the rift and there are many more and we are truly division because we are divided!

07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
:shock: OK news from the front lines.. BEI investigators are not, I repeat not, Park Patrol Investigators. 99% of the cases investigated by BEI have nothing to do with parks. The majority of the cases worked by BEI involve other federal, state and local agencies. Does FDLE force their Agents to pull capital security..NO.. why should BEI Agents be forced to pull park patrol duties. Trust me BEI has its own problems, they don't need any others.

On the other hand, we should do away with all the little state law enforcement agencies and have one large agency with a patrol division and investigative division with law enforcement leadership, this will help with manpower problems and would be better for all including the tax payers.

I do think you all do a very good job and should not be taking shots at each other. Only the command staff will benefit from that.

One other thing, What is up with wearing uniforms at a disasters. May I suggest polo shirts and BDU pants or maybe 511.

08-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Yeah I dont think a State Police is the making but your right about the rinky dinky state agencies. ABT,DEP-BEI-BPP,DOA, Why dont they merge those with the bigger agencies. FDLE,FWC and DOT or FHP. Whatever, I do agree there are wayyy to many Div of LE agencies and they dont even really do LE work

I wouldnt bet my pension on it though because the Florida Sheriff Sheriffs are too powerful in this political state we live in

10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
The Florida Constitution prohibits the existence of a “State Police”
FHP is part of DSMH, etc. The same Constitution makes The Sheriff, the top law enforcement dog in their perspective counties. The ONLY Law Enforcement agency in Florida that is not part of a larger regulatory body is FDLE and they present themselves as a “Support Agency” as to not bruise political egos.
You are absolutely right about the Florida Sheriff’s Association. They, erroneously, are fearful that a “consolidation” of law enforcement agencies would erode their power and have killed the last 3 bills introduced to consolidate.
Politics 101, “The Sheriff” is an elected official (politician) and politics will prevail.
The Federal Government just did the very same thing by putting all of these other Federal Agencies under Homeland Security in order to consolidate assets and eliminate some of the bureaucracy.
Film at 11

11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
:shock: OK news from the front lines.. BEI investigators are not, I repeat not, Park Patrol Investigators. 99% of the cases investigated by BEI have nothing to do with parks. The majority of the cases worked by BEI involve other federal, state and local agencies. Does FDLE force their Agents to pull capital security..NO.. why should BEI Agents be forced to pull park patrol duties. Trust me BEI has its own problems, they don't need any others.

On the other hand, we should do away with all the little state law enforcement agencies and have one large agency with a patrol division and investigative division with law enforcement leadership, this will help with manpower problems and would be better for all including the tax payers.

I do think you all do a very good job and should not be taking shots at each other. Only the command staff will benefit from that.

One other thing, What is up with wearing uniforms at a disasters. May I suggest polo shirts and BDU pants or maybe 511.

Wow BEI agents forget where they came from. last I checked DEP has a bureau of park park and that is not all we do. Why dont you put your pants on again. Im sure it takes one leg at a time. Your comment about a Ste LE for everybody. You obviously forgot the Sheriffs run this state and we are just here to help them. I came from a Sheriff's Office and would be foolish to think we will ever be a State Police agency.

11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
You obviously have never heard of a “Constitutional Amendment”.
The pen giveth, and the pen taketh.
It is time to review the whole Sheriff thing. This concept goes back to the days of covered wagons and has dubious value in today’s world. All that it really does is maintain one more politician in public office and disrupts the continuity of the delivery of services in that county every time a new sheriff is elected. The BUBBA thing at its best.

11-08-2006, 03:17 AM
You obviously have never heard of a “Constitutional Amendment”.
The pen giveth, and the pen taketh.
It is time to review the whole Sheriff thing. This concept goes back to the days of covered wagons and has dubious value in today’s world. All that it really does is maintain one more politician in public office and disrupts the continuity of the delivery of services in that county every time a new sheriff is elected. The BUBBA thing at its best.

Exactly you said it yourself. Sixty Seven Florida Sheriffs under the Governor. Exactly we are just here at puppets. Dont kid yourself we have a great job but dont think for one second if we were disbanded tomarrow that a Sheriff's Office couldnt do our job. It wont happen and frankly I wouldnt want it too happen. We have it good here why screw it up because some person from up North wants to call themselve a State Police ...Geez get off the high hat and go back up north if that is your direction youre taking this. I enjoy my job and I am perfectly content doing just what I need too I have done the deputy sheriff thing and they can keep it. As far as the BEI they are no different than us uniforms they just tend to forget that they are no more than regulatory people with guns

11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
#1- I don’t like hats, so I don’t have a high one or a low one.
#2- I am not from the North, actually I am from the South
#3-I have been in this business a long time and have traveled to other parts of the U.S and have observed how other people do what we do.
#4- Most, not all, State Police Agencies act in a “Support” role to the smaller towns and cities; gee, does that sound like FDLE.
#5- Didn’t say anything about not liking my job.
#6- Regarding BEI, Forget #6, you wouldn’t get it anyhow.

11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah I guess I wouldnt especially being just a uniform cop as far as FDLE. They cant even enforce traffic statues. yep theres a real State Police for you. Think again.

11-09-2006, 09:46 PM
The context in which I mentioned FDLE is as a “Police Support Organization”
They have already inherited the Capitol Police, which is a uniform function.
I am not aware of any restrictions placed on FDLE that would prevent them from issuing a traffic citation, even though that is not their primary function. In other words, they don not have “Restricted Police Powers” as some other agencies had once upon a time like the folks at Insurance Fraud.
The meassure of being a Law Enforcment Officer is not limited to writting tickets. Meter Maids can do that as well as Public Service Aids.
Here ends the lesson

11-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Do your homework,,Lesson begins- your easy