PDA

View Full Version : Felony interdiction Unit ??

05-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Why does this unit have such an ego and can anyone tell me why they are dressed up like wanna be SWAT members without a cause? Come on Tactical Holsters,

There are a few that are great guys but geez some of these guys couldnt fit through a door.

05-10-2006, 04:55 PM
It's a management trick.

Rather than pay people what they are worth, you let them dress funny and tell them they are "elite."

Saves lots of money.

:twisted:

05-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah I fiqured it was something like that. Although ELITE wasnt the word I was thinking.. :lol:

05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
FHP has a felony interdiction unit that dresses up like SWAT?

What do they do and when do they do it?

05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
They clock each other speeding then practice felony stops, on each other. Then they, go meet at the buffet eat for 4 hours then go home.

Paladin
05-12-2006, 01:59 AM
FHP has a lot of good troopers in its employ. Never have I seen so many good men so badly wasted, if I may borrow a line. Over 50% of major crime is drug related - possession, sale, crime committed under the influence of drugs, or to finance the drug habit. 10 mph over don't wind my watch unless it is a pretext stop. So I say bring 'em on!

05-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah I think I saw them at a buffet one day. It was no doubt double doors because we know they cant fit in one door with those egos :lol:

05-12-2006, 02:10 AM
I think that buffet had those atomatic glass doors there.

05-12-2006, 06:59 PM
You guys should not dress like a SWAT, TRT members because.

A, It takse away the shock factor from the public.

B, You not one!

C, Stick to writing citations and let the police handle the real work.

DRIVE SAFELY.

05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
They do the same thing a Road Trooper does there is no reason for them to dress like company commados. It takes away form a REAL SWAT teams and lessons the initimidation factor as the the public sees them. You cant tell me they are doing DOT inspections or something and need a utility uniform. Its a waste of money. Gimme a raise instead

05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Is FHP still trying to behave like a State Police instead of acknowledging that they are a traffic enforcement agency?

Tsk, tsk.

----------

They are understaffed and underpaid. We need the traffic enforcement activity to protect the public! It is nothing to be ashamed of that they are not criminal investigators.

I say again - we need the traffic enforcement activity!!!!

:!: :!: :!:

05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
you want them to act like real cops? i guess they should go and stop a car, find a bunch of drugs, money, and guns, then call out the narcs unit to handle everything. maybe they should recover a load of stolen merchandise and call out cid. they make their own cases, write their own reports, and don't tot it to another officer. you guys are so full of it :twisted: :twisted:

05-31-2006, 01:38 AM
you want them to act like real cops? i guess they should go and stop a car, find a bunch of drugs, money, and guns, then call out the narcs unit to handle everything. maybe they should recover a load of stolen merchandise and call out cid. they make their own cases, write their own reports, and don't tot it to another officer. you guys are so full of it :twisted: :twisted:

Well, that is one very incoherent message!

Let's start over. The FHP should concentrate on their mission of traffic enforcement.

Yes, when they detect drugs, guns, stolen merchandise, etc. they SHOULD turn it over to the appropriate INVESTIGATIVE agency and GET BACK TO THEIR PRIMARY MISSION OF TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT.

That's their job. They are NOT a state police and should quit trying to be one.

Traffice enforcement, TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT, TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT!!!

Public safety - get it???

It is not a lesser job, it is a different job - and VERY important. Who doesn't understand that?

:?:

05-31-2006, 04:37 AM
I dont understand what the confusion is. In FL, city and county cops handle general law enforcement. They are the administers of the law in our communities. They keep the peace and resolve conflict. FHP is a highway Patrol. They exist to enforce traffic laws and each trooper wears traffic wings on their uniform to signify this.

This cannot be disputed. My question is, are they trying to be state police???? I havent ever noticed this. Each and every trooper knew what they were signing on for when they applied and Ive honestly never seen a trooper be ashamed of thier mission or try to pretend that it is something else. They are good at what they do and they are essential to our public safety, individually. As an agency, I am not so sure there are enough of them to make a dicernable difference in traffic safety.

Be this as it may, they are still LEO, and they are trained as well or better as any other cops out there and are fully capable of enforcing other violations of the law that they encounter. Just like we, city and county cops, effectively enforce traffic, so too can a trooper enforce other laws besides 316. We are all capable and effective in our own regard.

(side note) I will venture to say, however, if a trooper has never been a city or county cop, they are missing out on a lot. And those of you leo that have been where most cops have been and dealt with the stuff that streets cops deal with, then you know what Im talking about. Anyways, city, county and state leo, we all are in it together. Lets keep it that way. (WHAT IS TOT??)

05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
TOT = "Turn over to" = After discovering an offense that requires investigation the traffic officer turns the time-consuming investigation over to an investigator and returns to traffic duties.

You indicate you are unaware of the desire of FHP to become State Police. Perhaps this is because the actual attempt took place several years ago. The attempt was rebuffed by the political clout of the Sheriffs of the state who opposed it.

The outcome was the creation of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, a statewide investigative agency. FHP was left to remain a traffic enforcement organization.

Occasionally you will see attempts by FHP to extend beyond their mandated role. One might argue that putting troopers in SWAT type uniforms and calling them a Felony Interdiction Unit is another attempt to extend beyond their traffic enforcement role.

Although FHP are indeed LEOs with full arrest powers, it is inappropriate for them to engage in lengthy investigations and neglect their traffic enforcement duties. It would be equally inappropriate for a city or county LEO who was assigned as a plainclothes detective (investigator) to devote his time to traffic enforcement and neglect his assigned criminal investigations. Both have full powers, but different primary roles.

Since, as you note, there are already not enough troopers to effectively control the traffic violations on our highways, they should devote their time to traffic enforcement.

05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
well written and articulated response. thanks for defining tot. take care.

06-01-2006, 12:45 AM
TOT = "Turn over to" = After discovering an offense that requires investigation the traffic officer turns the time-consuming investigation over to an investigator and returns to traffic duties.

You indicate you are unaware of the desire of FHP to become State Police. Perhaps this is because the actual attempt took place several years ago. The attempt was rebuffed by the political clout of the Sheriffs of the state who opposed it.

The outcome was the creation of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, a statewide investigative agency. FHP was left to remain a traffic enforcement organization.

Occasionally you will see attempts by FHP to extend beyond their mandated role. One might argue that putting troopers in SWAT type uniforms and calling them a Felony Interdiction Unit is another attempt to extend beyond their traffic enforcement role.

Although FHP are indeed LEOs with full arrest powers, it is inappropriate for them to engage in lengthy investigations and neglect their traffic enforcement duties. It would be equally inappropriate for a city or county LEO who was assigned as a plainclothes detective (investigator) to devote his time to traffic enforcement and neglect his assigned criminal investigations. Both have full powers, but different primary roles.

Since, as you note, there are already not enough troopers to effectively control the traffic violations on our highways, they should devote their time to traffic enforcement.

VERY WELL WRITTEN

cougarcop
06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I've been reading these posts for the last week and I"m guessing that those who are posting against our interdiction unit, feels threatened by them. They are justified on our interstate.When was the last time you saw City Police Department or Sheriff's Deputy's K-9 unit out on the interstates searching cars for drugs.......I've been doing this job for almost 11 yerars and I can say never. You have a job to do and so do they, they may dress in a swat like gear, but that uniform is used because it's easy to crawl around and under cars while searching for drugs. They are not trying to act like State Police, and if you feel that way, I feel sorry for you. Don't worry we're not trying to take your dog barking calls. Relax!!!!!!!!! :wink:

06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Dog barking? We have 70 yr old volunteers to take those. We do everything you all do. We investigate traffic crashes, write cites. We however investigate murders, domestics, robbery's, thefts, Narcotics, burglary. Those are things most troopers couldn't even image how to investigate. P. S with all those C.S.O. yall have, what do the Troopers do?

06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I've been reading these posts for the last week and I"m guessing that those who are posting against our interdiction unit, feels threatened by them. They are justified on our interstate.When was the last time you saw City Police Department or Sheriff's Deputy's K-9 unit out on the interstates searching cars for drugs.......I've been doing this job for almost 11 yerars and I can say never. You have a job to do and so do they, they may dress in a swat like gear, but that uniform is used because it's easy to crawl around and under cars while searching for drugs. They are not trying to act like State Police, and if you feel that way, I feel sorry for you. Don't worry we're not trying to take your dog barking calls. Relax!!!!!!!!! :wink:

1. You're guessing wrong. Threatened? How? The only problem is that you aren't getting your primary job (traffic safety) done well.

2. You must not have spent those 11 years in Hillsborough County. They had a drug interdiction unit in action for quite some time in the mid-90's, but the drug seizure activity was low compared to the east coast (I-95) traffic. It made sense: why would a druggie making a run between Miami and New York detour out of the way over to Tampa? Accordingly, the unit was put to other uses.

The HCSO Drug Smuggling Unit (casual clothes detectives) made more cases and seized more dope than the drug interdiction unit.

By the way, just how much drugs has the FHP interdiction unit seized in Hillsborough County in the past 12 months? My instinct says "not much."

3. Yes, they have a job to do. It's called TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT and I wish they would spend more time at it.

---------------------

We all know how drug interdiction should be done on the interstates. When a trooper (or any LEO) has reasonable suspicion to believe that he has stopped a drug smuggler he should call for a "local police" K-9 unit. One not available? Oh, well - that happens. Probably less often that when a trooper is not available to investigate a traffic crash and the local police have to handle it. :wink:

06-04-2006, 03:27 AM

Yeah I think I see that egoo coming out. As far as Sheriff's on Interstates and City Police. Try Sarasota We have a Interstate Crime Enforcement Unit and two city Police Departments that are always working the Interstate. Maybe you should re-read State Statue- Sheriffs are the Chief law Enforcement in each county. The State Agencies are designed to augment in specialized areas, ie...wildlife,environmental,Traffic,Commercial. take that ego somewhere else. No one is threathned at all by the So called Felony Interdiction Unit. I find it quite humerous that they dress that way by no means are they a state police, DOT doesnt even dress that way and they work more on interstates and vehicles than you all. Sorry its the facts. If you wanna play State Police take your interstate and that ego and keep driving North until you hit a State that has a State Police Department. You are employed by DHSMV div of FHP. Deal with it

06-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I do not care that I am part of HSMV, I can still go where I want to, im not stuck to a city limit, I can enforce any law anywhere in the State of Florida. I have more freedom than you guys do. Lets have the sarge hold our hand on all our calls and look over our tickets at the end of every shift. I realize you guys respond to domestics and other types of calls, I dont care, and I got tired of it. This however does not make you a super cop, everyone has there own opinions and grudges, it will never stop, just like every agency has the one who will write another cop, its a part of life and there is nothing we can do about it, so why whine about it?

06-06-2006, 09:20 PM
I do not care that I am part of HSMV, I can still go where I want to, im not stuck to a city limit, I can enforce any law anywhere in the State of Florida. I have more freedom than you guys do. Lets have the sarge hold our hand on all our calls and look over our tickets at the end of every shift. I realize you guys respond to domestics and other types of calls, I dont care, and I got tired of it. This however does not make you a super cop, everyone has there own opinions and grudges, it will never stop, just like every agency has the one who will write another cop, its a part of life and there is nothing we can do about it, so why whine about it?

I guess the real measure of how much better your job is than my job is how much more money you make than I make. (NOT!!!)

:) :) :) :) :o :o :o :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

06-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I work for a City agency. I took a highway interdiction class from FHP a few years ago, and learned that they are mandated by the florida constitution to do highway interdiction. I say good, let them do it. The more of that trash we get off the street the better. Same team. Get off their backs about it. But, for the comment about barking dog calls, get real.

Ever been hit, hurt, threatened, ambushed, had long foot pursuits, searched for hours for a suspect, wrestle nasty bums, fight bloody people, settle domestic disturbances, babysit children until DCF comes to get them, serve search warrants in nasty flop houses, bargain with armed people who can kill you quickly? If so maybe a few of those things like once in 2 years? Local PD/SOs do it all the time. We are not intimidated by you. We dont mind staying in limits, we have way too much to do to venture out anyway.

So, shame on FHP interdiction bashers, shame on FHP bashing PD's.

06-07-2006, 01:35 AM
The reason FHP has a Felony Interdiction Unit is simple. They already have a problem retaining good officers, their pay is low and their job is unvaried. Believe me, driving around doing traffic all day and responding to sig 4's gets old.

This unit, rightfully, gives troopers a chance to do something else, something specialized. It will motivate some troopers and give them a goal. Whereas any regular pd/so has a myriad of specialty units (swat, traffic, homicide, invest., school resource, and on and on and on), FHP is limited in what they can do and what they can branch off into. If they are effective at doing highway interdiction, then let them.

A lot of people do not want to respond to priority calls. Good, I dont want them there anyways. I think these types of calls are fundamental to LE. However, as someone stated earlier, State LEO in FL are mandated to focus on a specific specialty, not general LE. No one is concerned that FHP is trying to become a state police. If you truly believe that, then you are very naive to the the reality that is FL govt and politics. For better or worse, local LE IS law enforcement in FL, and this will remain forever.

I am proud of FHP, DOT, FDEP, FWC, ETC. They work hard and they have statewide jurisdiction. However, until you have been a police officer/deputy sheriff, you cannot truly say you have experienced LE. I know this may come off rude, but it is the truth. And that isnt to say that being a trooper isnt dangerous. Ofcourse it is, but you can mitigate this danger by not being proactive. Inherent in any pd/so position is a high level of danger, daily. Fact of life.

When I am 45 years old and sick of putting my life on the line everyday, perhaps I will go to a state agency, where I can ride around all day and respond to traffic crashes or overweight trucks (but probably not... ill probably be in a specialty unit or of rank). Until then, I will proudly serve within my city limit or county line, enforcing the law, keeping the peace and order, and truly helping the community. If I am not busy doing that, I may write a traffic citation. Maybe...

06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
I work for a City agency. I took a highway interdiction class from FHP a few years ago, and learned that they are mandated by the florida constitution to do highway interdiction.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call you out on this one, Ed.

I think you must have bought a snow job about this issue.

I defy you to find a "mandate" for FHP to do highway interdiction in the Florida Constitution.

You may be able to quote a Florida Statute which authorizes them to do so, but a "mandate in the Constitution?" No way!

I'm sitting here waiting for you to give me a direct quote out of the Constitution to prove me wrong.

And waiting, and waiting, and waiting ..................

06-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Eh, maybe I did. It was Lt. Duncan (heard he retired) explaining why they do it. I looked to verify and found nothing in the constitution about it. I did find in 321.05 wordage about contraband seizures. Oh well maybe I should have checked before I posted, this was a class over 8 years ago. My point is this- who gives? Let a few of them ride around and search cars. Maybe theyll find some and prevent it coming to my city. My post was implying that i dont need a trooper huffing at me about barking dog calls (we dont even respond to junk like that) when Im working my ass off on the streets... places they probably dont even feel safe going. In paradox, leave them alone. Why is there so much rediculous bickering? If there were 500 more troopers their response time would still be shitty. They need probably 2000 more.

Unfortuneately I believe that youre not a cop until you make house calls. But I still respect their duties and Id back them up in a second, and Id like to think they would too.

06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
ED, I agree with you completely.

Having LEOs in different agencies belittle each other is an absolute waste of time.

We are just serving in different areas of a calling that we all have in common = protecting the public.

Personally, I couldn't have done a career as a traffic officer. I had the great good fortune to have been, at different times, a dispatcher, a jail guard, a uniformed street LEO, a detective, an undercover detective, a federal Special Agent and a federal Supervisor. At every stage I enjoyed what I was doing. What I enjoyed most was being a uniformed street LEO, responding to emergencies, being first on the scene, and as I used to say "bringing order out of chaos."

Having done all of these different things, and interacting with people in other agencies throughout my career have brought me to the point that I don't depricate the work of anyone who has chosen law enforcement for a career.

:D

07-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Let me tell all you FHP bashers out there a thing or two. I am an 18 year veteran of the FHP and I currently work in the panhandle. During my time up here, I have worked home burglaries (because the local S.O. was too busy to respond), domestics (agg. battery w/weapon), investigated stolen vehicles, helped the local Sheriffs Office drag armed suicidal suspects out of houses, traffic homicide, numerous petit theft and grand theft cases, numerous drug cases and when Im not busy, I still find time to get out and write a ticket or two. Dont think that we are limited to just working traffic because thats all you see or hear of a trooper doing in your area.

07-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Let me tell all you FHP bashers out there a thing or two. I am an 18 year veteran of the FHP and I currently work in the panhandle. During my time up here, I have worked home burglaries (because the local S.O. was too busy to respond), domestics (agg. battery w/weapon), investigated stolen vehicles, helped the local Sheriffs Office drag armed suicidal suspects out of houses, traffic homicide, numerous petit theft and grand theft cases, numerous drug cases and when Im not busy, I still find time to get out and write a ticket or two. Dont think that we are limited to just working traffic because thats all you see or hear of a trooper doing in your area.

To the Escambia Trooper,

Hey great I am glad you now know what a Deputy Sheriff or City Officer endure. Now take your 18 years and school your rookies so they arent afraid to do Police work. Im not too proud if they want to handle a domestic and I can go XX. I am all for it. The problem is the troopers now adays think they are about police work and only will do traffic and thats when they are dispatched. Lets teach these rookies some le family and that way this stupid rivalry will fade. As far as you handling city and county calls. Hats off too you and stay safe up there.

07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
I used to be a city officer in a rural panhandle county. When I was working you never knew who your back up might be. We might have only 2 officers on in the city, the county might only have 1 deputy on. It didn't matter what type of call I was on, I never knew who would show up to back me up or just to make sure I was okay. FHP was the most common to back us up. GFC, FMP (back in the day), DOT, Agriculture, you name it they would stop to make sure you were okay.

In turn, we backed them whether they were in the city or not. If I was at a crash outside the city limits waiting on a trooper, I would have everything possible done for them when they arrived. If I could blue form it, I would.

The bottom line was that we all looked out for each other. Did I ever worry about getting a citation from FHP, GFC, or FMP? Yes, there was 1 trooper in the area and 1 GFC that I would never want to encounter if I was not 100% inside the law. Fortunately, at the time I didn't hunt, so I didn't have to worry about GFC, and the trooper I didn't have to worry about after I responded off-duty to his call of X24.

The bottom line is this, there are troopers out there that will do everything they can to help you. This is especially true in the smaller more rural counties. There are also officers at each agency who will cite you regardless of who you are. We all need to remember that word discretion, and use it accordingly.

07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
I say we restrict the authority of FHP to State Roads and state property only so that they will stay on the Interstate and "HIGHWAYS" where the "HIGHWAY" Patrol belongs. You guys need to re-read Chapter 321 of the statutes. No where in there does it say that your mission involves SWAT or TRT operations or what ever you guys want to call it. It plainly states that you are to patrol the highways and roadways of this state. And by the way the words "State Trooper" are never mentioned in the statute and therefore that is a name that you guys have applied to yourselves without authority of law, it refers to you as "Officers" and "Patrol Officers" not State Trooper. Sorry thats just a fact, and try as you may you will never be a state police. Here is the direct language from 321.05

The patrol officers under the direction and supervision of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall perform and exercise throughout the state the following duties, functions, and powers:

(1) To patrol the state highways and regulate, control, and direct the movement of traffic thereon; to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways; to apprehend fugitives from justice; to enforce all laws now in effect regulating and governing traffic, travel, and public safety upon the public highways and providing for the protection of the public highways and public property thereon; to make arrests without warrant for the violation of any state law committed in their presence in accordance with the laws of this state; providing that no search shall be made unless it is incident to a lawful arrest, to regulate and direct traffic concentrations and congestions; to enforce laws governing the operation, licensing, and taxing and limiting the size, weight, width, length, and speed of vehicles and licensing and controlling the operations of drivers and operators of vehicles; to cooperate with officials designated by law to collect all state fees and revenues levied as an incident to the use or right to use the highways for any purpose; to require the drivers of vehicles to stop and exhibit their driver's licenses, registration cards, or documents required by law to be carried by such vehicles; to investigate traffic accidents, secure testimony of witnesses and of persons involved, and make report thereof with copy, when requested in writing, to any person in interest or his or her attorney; to investigate reported thefts of vehicles and to seize contraband or stolen property on or being transported on the highways. [/i]

There it is re-read it for yourself. I belive that you guys are actually in violation of the very law that created you in the first place back in 1959 when you go out and try to act like a Sheriff's Deputy or State Police, which you are not. So say what you want about having statewide jurisdiction and all that other nonsense it really does not matter. Now go read chapter 30 of the statutes and you will see who really has all of the law enforcemnt powers in this state. Honestly the FHP only exsists today becase the Florida Sheriffs Assc. allows it to continue to exsist......but I cant help but wonder for how much longer since they are almost non-exsistent in my county now as it is.
Your job is an important one and needs to be done. The highways of this state are absolutey out of control. I routinely drive both the Florida Turnpike and I-95 and from Miami to both Orlando and Jacksonville and there are many times where I will not even see 1 FHP car. Yet I get blown off of the road by peopel well in excess of 90 to 100 mph. I know that you are under paid and in some areas of the state very under staffed but it galls me to no end when I see FHP working in areas that they have no business being in when the roadways are so out of control.

07-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Tucked away in that law you quoted is the phrase ...to maintain the public peace... which makes FHP officers "peace officers."

That gives them the authority to maintain the public peace in the same manner as city police officers and county deputy sheriffs. Although it is not their primary assignment, they have the authority.

You ARE correct in your assessment that the HIGHWAYS of Florida are out of control. Like you, I constantly see aggressive drivers switching from lane to lane at speeds of 90 and 100 mph with seeming impunity.

We need to get "Bears In The Air" again, radar operators on overpasses working with troopers on the highway, unmarked cars and whatever else it takes to nail more of these reckless, aggressive drivers.

Although I deplore troopers citing fellow LEOs, I am more than willing to lobby my state congressmen for more troopers and better paid troopers - IF they will concentrate on traffic control.

07-21-2006, 04:32 AM
You must be a politician, you pick part of a phrase and use it to your advantage. You left off an important part of the phrase,
to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways;.

07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
You must be a politician, you pick part of a phrase and use it to your advantage. You left off an important part of the phrase,
to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways;.

A rose is a rose is a rose............

and

A peace officer is a peace officer, etc. - It's about authority.

You may not like it, but it's a FACT.

(How nasty of you to be calling a fellow LEO a politician. :D )

07-22-2006, 02:06 AM
You know you are right about the words "state trooper" in FS 321. That was written a long time ago and it needs to be updated. If you look under the statute of impersonating a police officer and I repeat a "police officer", you will see the words "trooper", and "state trooper" when it comes to impersonating a police officer. According to Webster the definition of a "trooper" is a mounted or state policeman. No we are not set up as a state police agency but every trooper in this state has the same authority as any other deputy or police officer. If we were to take over for the sheriffs, which we never will, we would have to hire probably 30 to 40 thousand troopers or the citys in this state would have to incorporate a hell of a lot surrounding areas. Thats how most states are. How do you think Alabama gets by with 250 troopers that acutally patrol the roads 24-7. Almost everything that occurs in Alabama is usually within the the city limits. Unless you are a small New England state that is the size of 2 Florida counties, you will never have a full state police that works everything. Most of the states that are state police have a patrol division that does highway patrol duties just like us and the local sheriff does the work there just like he does here. I remember back in 1991 there was a push by then Gov. Chiles to merge the FHP under the FDLE and create a state police or whatever in FL. Would this have changed my job duties from day to day, no. It might have changed the name of my Department, instead of DHSMV, maybe Dept of Public Safety (as it was from 1939 to 1969), or Dept of Law Enforcement. Did you know that this was done in responce to the sheriffs association wanting to disban the FHP. Why do you think they bought in an outsider from Illinois to take over as Col.?, because he was the Dep. Director of the Illinois State Police. Nobody is trying to move in or take from any other agency in this state. Trust me, there is enough violent crimes to go around for everybody that wears a uniform in this state. We all have diffirent missions but the bottom line is we are all police officers. Under Gov. Bush's broadband of job descriptions, trooper positions are now classified as patrol officers and deputy sheriffs. I have worked a lot of calls in my career that was outside my Departments mission. If I was unsure about something I would ask a local deputy and proceed forward with the case. Criminal investigations are not rocket science, as a matter of fact, to me, it was easier to work a domestic, robbery, battery, or something along those lines than a crash that involved a drunk that just killed 2 people and my scene was scattered along a mile of roadway. I have been in situations where I didnt care who was responding to me. There were many times that I was very glad to see a deputy roll up on one of my scenes. Some of the finest individuals I have ever known were deputies. They covered my ass and I tried to cover theirs when I could. We are all in this together. If you dont like the way a particular branch of state governent is set up or what it does, contact your local legistator. Be safe, even though we may not see eye to eye on everything, I still will cover your ass when it hits the fan for you.

07-23-2006, 03:07 AM
"... and to seize contraband or stolen property on or being transported on the highways. [/i]"

hey asshole, the last line of the very same statute you posted clears up the felony interdiction teams you idiots keep putting down. by the way the uniform they were is so that they can crawl under cars and trucks, search vehicles ect while looking for the contraband without tearing up their regular uniforms or scratching their high gloss leather.

07-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey Trooper from a Deputy Sheriff, That was a great post I had to strain to keep with it but man good job. Stay Safe and yeah we got em all in our agencies but rest assured x49 will have your back when you call x94 and vice versa

08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
sitting here reading all these posts is kind of upsetting. i just wanna make this short and sweet. FHP is trained to do the same thing as a PD or SO. They get certified by the state of Florida just like they do. The extra 2 months of their acadamy is for specail FHP training ( for working crashes ext...). I am tired about reading what this agency does and this one does. The fact is they are all there for the same mission and that is to ensure the safty of the public. A SO or PD officer can work a wreck just as well as an FHP officer. The point i guess i am trying to make is i wish you all would stop bashing each other and telling them what they can and cant do. i have a few FHP buddies that love following SO's or PD's out to a domestic call or something of that nature and know what is going on and help out. everyone just needs to relize that police officers are a brotherhood and should treat all thier fellow LEO's with respect.

P.S. on the writing of other cops tickets i would never do that. along with nurses and doctors (who knows they might be saving you life one day)

08-10-2006, 08:11 AM
You need to reveiw the statutes and authority of the Highway Patrol a little better. Obviously you are ingnorant to the fact that they have the same arrest power as you, except for their jursidiction which extends throughout the entire state. Yes, their primary function is traffic enforcment. :D Most only want to do traffic enforcement, however some are a little more aggressive and take on alot of other stuff, as you would put it real cop stuff. The FHP felony teams have been in place since 1989, it involves a canine unit and a back-up unit - Primary function felony arrest. Most of the arrest are drug related, however they are used for apprehension of fleeing subjects of all types. Did that for over 10 years, seized over 40 million in drugs, with over 900 felony arrest. Apprehended bank robbery subjects, car jacking subjects, murderers, and cop killers. I have been in the bushes at 2:00 in the morning in the middle of the night with my dog on the ground and a trooper behind me with a shotgun looking for a criminal who had escaped from local authorities. Dont worry the perimeter was setup by the local S.O.(its called teamwork, mutual respect) and assited in apprehending the suspect. Worked a 24 hour day searching for a cop killer who killed a friend that worked for Ft. lauderdale P.D. (BECAUSE THAT WHAT WE DO) We had five so called felony teams there from 3 counties on a moments notice. So you couldn't be further from the truth. Troopers, City P.O. and SO officers are all in this together. It's nice to have pride in your respective agency, However, bashing another one over your insecurities is wrong. Grow up behave like the man you pretend to be and get off your soap box. Go make an arrest, in my experience most of the biggest crap talkers are the ones from their agencies that couldn't find thier ass with both hands and the biggest arrest they have made was a joint. To the rest of you brave men and women, much respect and stay safe.

09-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Basically our felony teams are doing the job that all troopers should be doing but can't because they are so hammered with calls. Heck, I even hear the felony team out there taking crashes because we are so low on man power. If you want to get away with something on an interstate just come to Florida. The only troopers you will see will be the ones sitting on the side of the road working a crash.

09-22-2006, 06:48 AM
You ARE correct in your assessment that the HIGHWAYS of Florida are out of control. Like you, I constantly see aggressive drivers switching from lane to lane at speeds of 90 and 100 mph with seeming impunity.

We need to get "Bears In The Air" again, radar operators on overpasses working with troopers on the highway, unmarked cars and whatever else it takes to nail more of these reckless, aggressive drivers.

Although I deplore troopers citing fellow LEOs, I am more than willing to lobby my state congressmen for more troopers and better paid troopers - IF they will concentrate on traffic control.

You sir are 100% CORRECT. I was appalled when I first came to Florida and saw how people drive here. I couldn't wait to get my patrol car and go nail some of them. I was very upset when 90% of my day was comprised of working crashes and helping morons that ran out of gas after passing 6 exits with gas stations. When I do have time to be proactive I can't catch anybody without hiding in the bushes. People see these marked cars and they behave.

FHP needs unmarked cars, such as F-150s, SUVs, Mustangs, etc. This is the only way to catch these aggressive drivers that kill people. FHP has Marauders but only because they were donated. Times have changed and FHP is not changing. The local S.O. is out cruising the interstates with unmarked cars and nailing people left and right, yet the FHP is over by some intersection working a crash. I see a MAJOR problem with this. I have had several citizens come up to me at work and tell me how bad drivers are out there. Instead of griping to me they need to write their representative. Things change when people stand up and make some noise.

11-05-2006, 05:18 PM

You sir are 100% CORRECT. I was appalled when I first came to Florida and saw how people drive here. I couldn't wait to get my patrol car and go nail some of them. I was very upset when 90% of my day was comprised of working crashes and helping morons that ran out of gas after passing 6 exits with gas stations. When I do have time to be proactive I can't catch anybody without hiding in the bushes. People see these marked cars and they behave.

FHP needs unmarked cars, such as F-150s, SUVs, Mustangs, etc. This is the only way to catch these aggressive drivers that kill people. FHP has Marauders but only because they were donated. Times have changed and FHP is not changing. The local S.O. is out cruising the interstates with unmarked cars and nailing people left and right, yet the FHP is over by some intersection working a crash. I see a MAJOR problem with this. I have had several citizens come up to me at work and tell me how bad drivers are out there. Instead of griping to me they need to write their representative. Things change when people stand up and make some noise.

Its not the troopers fault. I am sure they would love to have unmarked cars other than what they have. Cal your legislature and call tallahassee FHP and send them a letter. They is not of them so they can only do reactive work instead of proactive. You ask any trooper and they would love to do what you are asking but they have a responsibilty to handle those crashes also. Your point is well taken

CAP
11-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Please, let them dress how ever they like, eat their buffets and for a change; chase some real bad guys. More power to them, AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT WRITING THE REST OF US. In fact, they can come down off the highway and help us anytime.

Guys enjoy you’re your apparel and KICK SOME BUTT. These negative posts are being posted by young guys who would love to wear what ever play costume you are wearing, but are not allowed.

Stay Safe :cop:
CAP Miami

nononsetpr
11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm a hot and sexy trooper as it is. Just think if I could wear one of those sexy gray uniforms with the tactical holster.. Dammmnn SOO fine .....

11-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I say we restrict the authority of FHP to State Roads and state property only so that they will stay on the Interstate and "HIGHWAYS" where the "HIGHWAY" Patrol belongs. You guys need to re-read Chapter 321 of the statutes. No where in there does it say that your mission involves SWAT or TRT operations or what ever you guys want to call it. It plainly states that you are to patrol the highways and roadways of this state. And by the way the words "State Trooper" are never mentioned in the statute and therefore that is a name that you guys have applied to yourselves without authority of law, it refers to you as "Officers" and "Patrol Officers" not State Trooper. Sorry thats just a fact, and try as you may you will never be a state police. Here is the direct language from 321.05

The patrol officers under the direction and supervision of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall perform and exercise throughout the state the following duties, functions, and powers:

(1) To patrol the state highways and regulate, control, and direct the movement of traffic thereon; to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways; to apprehend fugitives from justice; to enforce all laws now in effect regulating and governing traffic, travel, and public safety upon the public highways and providing for the protection of the public highways and public property thereon; to make arrests without warrant for the violation of any state law committed in their presence in accordance with the laws of this state; providing that no search shall be made unless it is incident to a lawful arrest, to regulate and direct traffic concentrations and congestions; to enforce laws governing the operation, licensing, and taxing and limiting the size, weight, width, length, and speed of vehicles and licensing and controlling the operations of drivers and operators of vehicles; to cooperate with officials designated by law to collect all state fees and revenues levied as an incident to the use or right to use the highways for any purpose; to require the drivers of vehicles to stop and exhibit their driver's licenses, registration cards, or documents required by law to be carried by such vehicles; to investigate traffic accidents, secure testimony of witnesses and of persons involved, and make report thereof with copy, when requested in writing, to any person in interest or his or her attorney; to investigate reported thefts of vehicles and to seize contraband or stolen property on or being transported on the highways. [/i]

There it is re-read it for yourself. I belive that you guys are actually in violation of the very law that created you in the first place back in 1959 when you go out and try to act like a Sheriff's Deputy or State Police, which you are not. So say what you want about having statewide jurisdiction and all that other nonsense it really does not matter. Now go read chapter 30 of the statutes and you will see who really has all of the law enforcemnt powers in this state. Honestly the FHP only exsists today becase the Florida Sheriffs Assc. allows it to continue to exsist......but I cant help but wonder for how much longer since they are almost non-exsistent in my county now as it is.
Your job is an important one and needs to be done. The highways of this state are absolutey out of control. I routinely drive both the Florida Turnpike and I-95 and from Miami to both Orlando and Jacksonville and there are many times where I will not even see 1 FHP car. Yet I get blown off of the road by peopel well in excess of 90 to 100 mph. I know that you are under paid and in some areas of the state very under staffed but it galls me to no end when I see FHP working in areas that they have no business being in when the roadways are so out of control.

Are you sure you fully understand what the statement underlined means? If a trooper is driving anywhere and the trooper witnesses someone breaking the law no matter what law was broken that trooper can arrest the law violator whether it was on a roof top, in the back of a car, in the bathroom, in a pool or where ever. Is that so hard to understand? Lets try again......

If local officer, deputy (or whoever you want to stick here) is driving anywhere and the local officer, deputy (or whoever you want to stick here) witnesses someone breaking the law no matter what law was broken that local officer, deputy (or whoever you want to stick here) can arrest the law violator whether it was on a roof top, in the back of a car, in the bathroom, in a pool or where ever.

I mean, all this bickering is just ridiculous. You guys need to stop it.[/b]

11-20-2007, 06:08 AM
We were created in 1939 "FL Dept of Public Safety". Called "State Troopers" since 1956. Re-organized in 1969 by merging the DPS and Motor Vehicle Dept. to form the DHSMV (Big Mistake).

11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
I love how you all are screwing off picking FHP apart. Like it matters what you think or something. Just blowing hot air for nothing. If you are that concerened go to the governor or senate and cry about FHP! Until then write something else that could be considered constuctive instead of wasiting your time.

11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Conderned Observer:

You have 3 options with that piece of paper that you are obviously upset about....briefly they are

1. Pay the fine in the listed amount of time by certified check or money order to the applicable clerks office. (Failure to follow these instructions will result in the suspension of your driver license)

2. Attend driver improvement class (if you are not a current holder of a CDL license, or have already been to driver improvement class more than 5 times or you have been to the aforementioned class within the past 365 days)

3. Elect a court hearing.

Im sure you were explained these options before by the State Trooper that spanked your hand for your obvious wrong doing.
This is not a forum to bash the best in the state or to discuss your issues with State Troopers. Move along please...

Oh, and just one more thing......since you are an avid reader of the Florida Statutes, have you ever noticed one thing that I find remarkable..??

The word deputy sheriff is always written in lower case letters. However, State Trooper is always written in capitals....ever wonder why??????
I think this is self explanitory.....

11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Because pictures are too expensive???

11-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Conderned Observer:

You have 3 options with that piece of paper that you are obviously upset about....briefly they are

1. Pay the fine in the listed amount of time by certified check or money order to the applicable clerks office. (Failure to follow these instructions will result in the suspension of your driver license)

2. Attend driver improvement class (if you are not a current holder of a CDL license, or have already been to driver improvement class more than 5 times or you have been to the aforementioned class within the past 365 days)

Im sure you were explained these options before by the State Trooper that spanked your hand for your obvious wrong doing.
This is not a forum to bash the best in the state or to discuss your issues with State Troopers. Move along please...

Oh, and just one more thing......since you are an avid reader of the Florida Statutes, have you ever noticed one thing that I find remarkable..??

The word deputy sheriff is always written in lower case letters. However, State Trooper is always written in capitals....ever wonder why??????

Excuse, please pay attention to what I write next time. My response was for Concerned Citizen.

The whole point of my response was because it is as if people think State Troopers have no police powers. I tried to spell it out to that individual by using two different scenarios. Pay attention and read properly next time before you post please.

Another thing, you are completely wrong about all the assumptions you just made. No I have never been "spanked" before by a state trooper. I have no speeding tickets, no accidents and I do not speed. Neither do I have accidents. I cannot stress this enough, read carefully next time.

11-21-2007, 03:16 AM
:arrow:

12-27-2007, 05:16 AM
www.fhp.state.fl.us/CIP (http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/CIP)

"During the period 2003-2006 the FHP has seized 3,312 pounds of marijuana, 599 pounds of cocaine, 56 pounds of crack cocaine, 19 pounds of heroin, 10 pounds of methamphetamine, $4.9 million dollars in U.S. currency and other types of illegal drugs, paraphernalia, and weapons. The total value of illegal drugs seized in this period is $15.3 million dollars. These seizures resulted from 5,025 drug cases and 11,268 drug related arrests."

Now go back to your domestic calls - Mr. Smith is drinking again. And for your "real police work" calls, be sure to arrive on-scene and then call for CID. You did an excellent job getting there so rapidly! Now that the murderer, rapist, burglar, bank robber, etc. is speeding down the road, maybe he'll be apprehended by a State Trooper who is patrolling the highway.

12-27-2007, 07:14 AM
[quote="f*(c 09":2yai80j1]you want them to act like real cops? i guess they should go and stop a car, find a bunch of drugs, money, and guns, then call out the narcs unit to handle everything. maybe they should recover a load of stolen merchandise and call out cid. they make their own cases, write their own reports, and don't tot it to another officer. you guys are so full of it :twisted: :twisted:

Let's start over. The FHP should concentrate on their mission of traffic enforcement.

Yes, when they detect drugs, guns, stolen merchandise, etc. they SHOULD turn it over to the appropriate INVESTIGATIVE agency and GET BACK TO THEIR PRIMARY MISSION OF TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT.

It is not a lesser job, it is a different job - and VERY important. Who doesn't understand that?

:?:[/quote:2yai80j1]

Unlike local idiots, FHP troopers handle the stuff they get into. If a traffic stop yields drugs, guns etc.. they don't call the locals to do the job. Local idiots on the other hand call and wait for FHP to handle minor parking lot crashes. Apparently, the complexity of crash investigation and reporting is beyond the ability of most local officers. So they wait 45min or more for the one trooper 10-8 to handle it for them. The so called "real police" can't be too busy if they can afford to wait for FHP to handle those minor crashes. I thought crash investigation was a part of every basic police academy in Florida?

12-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Posted: 11/20/07 14:25:34 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conderned Observer:

OH I KNOW THE ANSWER FOR YOU SO NO ONE HAS TO WONDER WHY THIS WHOLE MESSAGE IS IN CAPITALS. THE REASON IS SO YOU CAN MAKE YOU $35000.00 A YEAR WHILE I MAKE MY $60000.00 PLUS

12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Did you guys ever stop to think that if you treated the others cops like brothers, maybe the FOP and PBA could and would help with your pay scale. It might go a lot easier up at the capital if the rep's from other agency's said " yah, they are a great bunch of guys" instead of, "screw um, their attitude doesn't deserve a raise."

12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
[quote="Respect the FHP":hse8dqml][quote="f*(c 09":hse8dqml]you want them to act like real cops? i guess they should go and stop a car, find a bunch of drugs, money, and guns, then call out the narcs unit to handle everything. maybe they should recover a load of stolen merchandise and call out cid. they make their own cases, write their own reports, and don't tot it to another officer. you guys are so full of it :twisted: :twisted:

:?:[/quote:hse8dqml]

Unlike local idiots, FHP troopers handle the stuff they get into. If a traffic stop yields drugs, guns etc.. they don't call the locals to do the job. Local idiots on the other hand call and wait for FHP to handle minor parking lot crashes. Apparently, the complexity of crash investigation and reporting is beyond the ability of most local officers. So they wait 45min or more for the one trooper 10-8 to handle it for them. The so called "real police" can't be too busy if they can afford to wait for FHP to handle those minor crashes. I thought crash investigation was a part of every basic police academy in Florida?[/quote:hse8dqml]

Mr AAA with a gun, I don't know where you work, but I don't know of any City Cop that does not handle the dreaded short form or long form crash when it happens inside the City limits. Yes, some Counties have FHP handle the crashes because it's your job (sort of like filling out an application, real hard). The only reason you are still AAA with a gun is because you can't become a local idiot (surely isn't the pay). I deal with criminal issues everyday I go to work, not just civil issues like you do. Get a real job, and get off the backs of the "real cops" and don't hate the player (thats real pay) hate the game.

FHP could close tomorrow and it would be no big deal the Deputies and City Officers would just have to work a little wreck. Now if the Deputies and City Officers took off, FHP has no clue how to do real police work.

By the way I thought FHP called out there Cpl's on fatalities, sort of like CID huh.

12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Conderned Observer:

Another misinformed Trooper. The words Deputy Sheriff are always capitalized. It's a former title, which according to the English language are always in capitals. Troopers are not above Deputies, which are written in the state's constitution. Sorry to correct your prosperous statement. It has nothing to do with who’s capitalized and who’s not. It has to do with highest law in Florida, which is the State’s constitution. As a matter of fact, the encyclopedia even mentions that Troopers are below Deputies. How come it is so hard for your morons to comprehend? At least Troop C guy knows the difference.

12-27-2007, 09:51 PM
[quote="Ah Duh":4qmo363n][quote="Respect the FHP":4qmo363n][quote="f*(c 09":4qmo363n]you want them to act like real cops? i guess they should go and stop a car, find a bunch of drugs, money, and guns, then call out the narcs unit to handle everything. maybe they should recover a load of stolen merchandise and call out cid. they make their own cases, write their own reports, and don't tot it to another officer. you guys are so full of it :twisted: :twisted:

:?:[/quote:4qmo363n]

Unlike local idiots, FHP troopers handle the stuff they get into. If a traffic stop yields drugs, guns etc.. they don't call the locals to do the job. Local idiots on the other hand call and wait for FHP to handle minor parking lot crashes. Apparently, the complexity of crash investigation and reporting is beyond the ability of most local officers. So they wait 45min or more for the one trooper 10-8 to handle it for them. The so called "real police" can't be too busy if they can afford to wait for FHP to handle those minor crashes. I thought crash investigation was a part of every basic police academy in Florida?[/quote:4qmo363n]

Mr AAA with a gun, I don't know where you work, but I don't know of any City Cop that does not handle the dreaded short form or long form crash when it happens inside the City limits. Yes, some Counties have FHP handle the crashes because it's your job (sort of like filling out an application, real hard). The only reason you are still AAA with a gun is because you can't become a local idiot (surely isn't the pay). I deal with criminal issues everyday I go to work, not just civil issues like you do. Get a real job, and get off the backs of the "real cops" and don't hate the player (thats real pay) hate the game.

FHP could close tomorrow and it would be no big deal the Deputies and City Officers would just have to work a little wreck. Now if the Deputies and City Officers took off, FHP has no clue how to do real police work.

By the way I thought FHP called out there Cpl's on fatalities, sort of like CID huh.[/quote:4qmo363n]

Very well said. Now only if the Troopers have education they can read what this says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FHP

"Florida Highway Patrol officers are called State Troopers and are not called Highway Patrolman as is in some U.S. states. The FHP and it's troopers are state Law Enforcement Officers and as such are police officers with powers to enforce state law and make arrests, they are not the State Police as Florida's constitution states that the chief law enforcement officer of a Florida county is the Sheriff of that county. The function of the highway patrol is to the safety of the state, U.S., and Interstate Highways of Florida. Florida has an investigative department similar to that of the FBI, called the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. In addition to the FHP, Florida's highways are patrolled by the Florida Department of Transportation's Office of Motor Carrier Compliance (MCCO), a state law enforcement agency responsible for commercial vehicle laws in the state."

12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
FHP should concentrate on their mission of traffic enforcement.

By the way I thought FHP called out there Cpl's on fatalities, sort of like CID huh.[/quote]

If my job is sooooooo easy then why do deputies call me to work their DUI traffic stops? I'll tell you why because their sergeant can't afford to have a deputy milk the call for three or more hours. Just like they milk a crash. (Our policy prohibits FHP from working anything inside city limits unless requested by that agency. Thats what you city guys get paid to do.) Additionally non troopers couldn't win a DUI case in court if their life depended on it. Here's a test question. How many of you are court certified in anything? Excluding radar, lidar, or Intox operator. Troopers are now getting HGN expert qualified in Orange county. And before you cry how DUI are just a misdemeanors check with Don Murray, the MADD Florida CEO. Apparently MADD believes that DUI are important. I forget what state it is but it's trying to pass a law to lower the legal limit to .05. The other 49 states will follow shortly. What are you court qualified in? Don't impact your short sided views on the web because it really shows how inadequate you feel about your career choice. Oh and by the way when election year comes around and your Sheriff says DONT write his constituents how does that make you feel? Unless it's the Governor, I don't care who you know. One more thought. When your life is impacted by some highway or other tragic event don't call us, call one of your top notch traffic units to handle it. And hope they know what defines serious bodily injury and what doesn't. The results of the blood draw and the conviction depends on it. Because I know you surely don't.

12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
The difference young lad is most local agencies R E A C T to situations. They wait on dispatch to give them their assignments. The majority of FHP work is self initiated or pro-active. Traffic ,as unimportant it may be to some local idiots, affects more Americans than murders, rapes, burglaries etc.. Approximately 40,000 americans are killed each year in traffic crashes and 4 times as many are injured. Check the numbers and see that the 900 or so murders in Florida are only 1/3 of the traffic fatalities. Traffic is an important and vital part of law enforcement. So much so, that Florida created an agency to address traffic issues as their primary function. Primary ...not only. The autonomy availed to a State Trooper is unmatched by any local agency in the state. We are not a state police nor do we want to be. We are a Highway Patrol and our mission is traffic. What is so hard for you locals too understand?

12-27-2007, 10:24 PM

By the way I thought FHP called out there Cpl's on fatalities, sort of like CID huh.

If my job is sooooooo easy then why do deputies call me to work their DUI traffic stops? I'll tell you why because their sergeant can't afford to have a deputy milk the call for three or more hours. Just like they milk a crash. (Our policy prohibits FHP from working anything inside city limits unless requested by that agency. Thats what you city guys get paid to do.) Additionally non troopers couldn't win a DUI case in court if their life depended on it. Here's a test question. How many of you are court certified in anything? Excluding radar, lidar, or Intox operator. Troopers are now getting HGN expert qualified in Orange county. And before you cry how DUI are just a misdemeanors check with Don Murray, the MADD Florida CEO. Apparently MADD believes that DUI are important. I forget what state it is but it's trying to pass a law to lower the legal limit to .05. The other 49 states will follow shortly. What are you court qualified in? Don't impact your short sided views on the web because it really shows how inadequate you feel about your career choice. Oh and by the way when election year comes around and your Sheriff says DONT write his constituents how does that make you feel? Unless it's the Governor, I don't care who you know. One more thought. When your life is impacted by some highway or other tragic event don't call us, call one of your top notch traffic units to handle it. And hope they know what defines serious bodily injury and what doesn't. The results of the blood draw and the conviction depends on it. Because I know you surely don't.[/quote]

Once again, my Sheriff doesn't tell me whom to write. He answers to the Governor, not you. Out of respect to him, I don't write his family or close friends and I would do the same for you. Just like I bet you wouldn’t write your Colonel’s family and close friends. Furthermore, we have a huge DUI unit and we don't call you for anything. The majority of our DUI Deputies are DRE and HGN certified. Smaller Sheriff's offices may operate that way, but we don't. If we need help, we call upon other cities for mutual aid, or vice versa. If we were to call FHP, the 2 Trooper they have working aren't going to help with the type of crime we deal with. You may know your DUI, and that's great it's what FHP does, Traffic. I deal with Gangs, and I bet I know a lot more about that than any Trooper. Please stop trying to talk you up, it doesn't impress anyone. Orange County may require you to work their crashes but I know where I work very few Trooper do DUIs.

12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
The difference young lad is most local agencies R E A C T to situations. They wait on dispatch to give them their assignments. The majority of FHP work is self initiated or pro-active. Traffic ,as unimportant it may be to some local idiots, affects more Americans than murders, rapes, burglaries etc.. Approximately 40,000 americans are killed each year in traffic crashes and 4 times as many are injured. Check the numbers and see that the 900 or so murders in Florida are only 1/3 of the traffic fatalities. Traffic is an important and vital part of law enforcement. So much so, that Florida created an agency to address traffic issues as their primary function. Primary ...not only. The autonomy availed to a State Trooper is unmatched by any local agency in the state. We are not a state police nor do we want to be. We are a Highway Patrol and our mission is traffic. What is so hard for you locals too understand?

Last time I checked FHP has dispatchers also. You are reactive also. When I have some free time, I'm doing traffic. I know your primary mission is traffic, but the majority of crashes worked by FHP are shady. I know so many Troopers and they are just plain DUMB when it comes to traffic. I also ask why, and they always tell me they have a book to look up the information. A good Trooper would know case law and important traffic statutes on the top of their head. Very few do. Florida created an agency to address the traffic concern and is not handing grants for other agencies to work the interstate because FHP is too busy working crashes. The "idiot locals" write more tickets than FHP. That's the magic of ratios, but it's the truth. I'm not trying to discredit your job, but traffic is not hard. Don't ask me why some counties don't work their own crashes if it's not hard. My county does and I would work a DUI, Crash, or write tickets any day before answering violent domestics, and chasing down sig 20's who have nothing to live for.

12-27-2007, 11:01 PM
If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

12-27-2007, 11:50 PM
If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

LOL. We have more LEOs in our agency than almost all state agencies combined. Nice try though.

12-28-2007, 12:56 AM

LOL. We have more LEOs in our agency than almost all state agencies combined. Nice try though.

So why post your unwanted comments here loser?

12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
[quote="Locals, get a life":1mx5nd34]If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

So why post your unwanted comments here loser?[/quote:1mx5nd34]

Because lame wanna be “State Police” like you get your panties twisted when I do. You continue to bash other cops the way you are, and we'll continue to show you the truth.

12-28-2007, 01:52 AM

If my job is sooooooo easy then why do deputies call me to work their DUI traffic stops? I'll tell you why because their sergeant can't afford to have a deputy milk the call for three or more hours. Just like they milk a crash. (Our policy prohibits FHP from working anything inside city limits unless requested by that agency. Thats what you city guys get paid to do.) Additionally non troopers couldn't win a DUI case in court if their life depended on it. Here's a test question. How many of you are court certified in anything? Excluding radar, lidar, or Intox operator. Troopers are now getting HGN expert qualified in Orange county. And before you cry how DUI are just a misdemeanors check with Don Murray, the MADD Florida CEO. Apparently MADD believes that DUI are important. I forget what state it is but it's trying to pass a law to lower the legal limit to .05. The other 49 states will follow shortly. What are you court qualified in? Don't impact your short sided views on the web because it really shows how inadequate you feel about your career choice. Oh and by the way when election year comes around and your Sheriff says DONT write his constituents how does that make you feel? Unless it's the Governor, I don't care who you know. One more thought. When your life is impacted by some highway or other tragic event don't call us, call one of your top notch traffic units to handle it. And hope they know what defines serious bodily injury and what doesn't. The results of the blood draw and the conviction depends on it. Because I know you surely don't.[/quote]

My little man in peach (yes it is peach, not tan) I agree with MADD that DUI is very important and that is why I have been up to Tallahassee to receive my DUI award for getting over 200 DUI in a year. Believe it or not, I actual won in court to. I am HGN and DRE certified and have done many DRE's for FHP when they call and ask for for my assistance. I do not want to be a trooper, but I do enjoy traffic. I have also investigated over 50 traffic fatalities since I am a reconstructionist, so yes I know what SBI is and know when I can draw blood without anybody's consent. I have no doubt I have more schooling and knowledge in traffic than you do, but I also know the other criminal statutes other than traffic. Do you know there is only one crime in which an officer has to read miranda before they can arrest them? I am betting that you don't but if you know what legal guidelines are, start looking there. So you troopers keep thinking you are somebody because you wrote another cop a ticket, and when it hits the fan and you scream for help you can guarantee that every local idiot Deputy and City Officer within driving distance will hall butt, because we know what a brotherhood is.

12-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Just consider this another phase of your FTO period, except this one you are actually learning from real cops who know traffic and criminal statutes, not just civil infraction laws.

12-28-2007, 03:36 AM
If our job is ssssooooo important why do we get pay so crapy?

12-28-2007, 04:17 AM
[quote="Locals, get a life":2rlpez03]If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

Because lame wanna be “State Police” like you get your panties twisted when I do. You continue to bash other cops the way you are, and we'll continue to show you the truth.[/quote:2rlpez03]

The fact that idiots like you post here is indicative of the local loser we hear so much about.

12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
My little man in peach (yes it is peach, not tan) I agree with MADD that DUI is very important and that is why I have been up to Tallahassee to receive my DUI award for getting over 200 DUI in a year. Believe it or not, I actual won in court to. I am HGN and DRE certified and have done many DRE's for FHP when they call and ask for for my assistance. I do not want to be a trooper, but I do enjoy traffic. I have also investigated over 50 traffic fatalities since I am a reconstructionist, so yes I know what SBI is and know when I can draw blood without anybody's consent. I have no doubt I have more schooling and knowledge in traffic than you do, but I also know the other criminal statutes other than traffic. Do you know there is only one crime in which an officer has to read miranda before they can arrest them? I am betting that you don't but if you know what legal guidelines are, start looking there. So you troopers keep thinking you are somebody because you wrote another cop a ticket, and when it hits the fan and you scream for help you can guarantee that every local idiot Deputy and City Officer within driving distance will hall butt, because we know what a brotherhood is.[/quote]

1) The color code is FHP beige. Check with the Dodge dealer who requested the paint cde for the Chargers we are finally getting. Get your eyes checked out because they are in need of corrective lenses. Thats an "A" restriction FYI.
2) I don't get DUI handed to me from my own agency. I am self generated.
3) I have to work the Patrol's schedule and therefore work 28 days of dayshift every third month (makes DUI a little tough)
4) As for the 100 club its bodies not arrest ( I don't count multiple charges)
5) I read everyone miranda thats why I WIN in court
6) You went on a DOT grant to get DRE qualified. We are so shorthanded FHP can't afford to send people who want to go
7) FHP HGN qualifications were obtained without being DRE qualified. You got it because you were a DRE.
8) Really can you draw blood without their consent if the person is unconscious? Or will it get thrown out in court? And what constitutes permanent disfigurement? Does it have to be visible?
9) I don't write other cops so why do they have attitude? I didn't force them to break FSS and get stopped.
10) Nobody came to help me when I was fighting with that drunk on roadside except for my FHP buds.
11) Brotherhood does not mean you are above the law that you are sworn to protect. That's hypocrisy.
12) Since traffic enforcment is looked down upon and not "real police" work, yes your own brothers in green and blue are talking behind your back about you, take a pay cut like your "thin blue line brothers suggest" or go do "real police" work.
13) Have you ever thought the reason you have your qualifications is because noone in your department wants to work to get them? They want the easy way out. It's not "real police" work.

12-28-2007, 11:33 AM
[quote="Locals, get a life":13fa6stb]If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

Just consider this another phase of your FTO period, except this one you are actually learning from real cops who know traffic and criminal statutes, not just civil infraction laws.[/quote:13fa6stb]

Wow, you can look up statutes. That's amazing, you're the best super cop!
DOLT

12-28-2007, 11:35 AM
[quote="Locals, get a life":2ngumc5c]If you local idiots need a forum of your own, why don't you ask the moderator to start one. It could be "Local losers only', "small and insignificant agencies", "wish we were Troopers', something to help with your self esteem issues that we, on this forum, couldn't care less about. Jerks!

Because lame wanna be “State Police” like you get your panties twisted when I do. You continue to bash other cops the way you are, and we'll continue to show you the truth.[/quote:2ngumc5c]

Man, you're really hung up on this state police thing. Who wants to be state police anyway. I signed up for the Highway Patrol.

Roadman Rules!

12-28-2007, 11:40 AM

I am a depewdee sherrif who likes two post on the fHp fourum. I's so kool ithurtz. My departmunt haz morr ofisers than you doo.

12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
“Yes, I am a LEO during the weekday, but on the weekend I like to argue about the finer points of Florida Constitutional Law…” That is what you guys sound like when you are citing primary sources and secondary sources in a futile attempt to bolster whether FHP should be wearing black tactical type outfits or if it is against the GODS to be calling ourselves “state troopers.” Why, for the love of humanity, are you guys arguing about this crap…you sound like a bunch of first year law school students trying to define an obscure term.

OK, I know this is only my opinion, but considering that I have worked in Miami and Tampa, at one end of the spectrum and Cross City and Jasper on the other, I feel that I have a handle on the issue at hand.

First, we work for different agencies that have different missions…get it…different missions. FHP is primarily a traffic enforcement agency. If this offends you, then what the hell were you thinking when you went to the FHP academy, you were going to come out and become a crime scene sergeant? Personally, I am very proud of the fact that I work for FHP and our primary goal is traffic enforcement.

In such, in 20+ years with FHP, I have had coffee with numerous city officers and deputies and showed them traffic crash investigation 101 and, like wise; they helped me when I got my first Baker Act. This is called TEAMWORK, even when our missions are different. What is the outcome; years after leaving those counties, I still get emails and phone calls when those (as someone call them: losers) come through my area. Why? Because we respect each other and have became lifelong friends.

Second, I am offended when I read the comments implying that city officers and deputies are too stupid to work traffic crashes. Just writing that makes you sound like a mental midget. It is not their mission, just like we do not investigate armed robberies. Why not? 1. It is not our mission. 2. We do not know how 3. It would be a disservice to the victim because FHP does not know the “usual suspects,” 4. We do not have the proper equipment to properly investigate the robbery. 5. We do not have the manpower to adequately investigate. So, what do we do? We TOT it to those that specialize in that are. Likewise, they TOT things to us that are out of their comfort zone.

Finally, if FHP had unlimited amounts of manpower and our traffic statistics showed that we were “winning”, then maybe we could expand our mission.

BREAKING NEWS: THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

So, focus on your mission, stop bashing each other, and use each others skills to make you an overall better officer. OHHH…and most importantly, you could actually make a life long friend in the process as more than likely those “losers” probable have very similar hobbies as you do.

12-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Great post - the most sense anyone has made so far.

12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree! Just like the medical profession, law enforcement has ares of specialization. That doe not make one agency better than another, just different, which is a good thing!

12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree. One of the most well-reasoned, intelligent responses to this nonsense of issue of who the "Real Police" are. We are a team, PD and SO does their thing and we do ours but when the shit hits the fan brother, we all come 10-18. Stay safe.

12-29-2007, 03:30 AM
“Yes, I am a LEO during the weekday, but on the weekend I like to argue about the finer points of Florida Constitutional Law…” That is what you guys sound like when you are citing primary sources and secondary sources in a futile attempt to bolster whether FHP should be wearing black tactical type outfits or if it is against the GODS to be calling ourselves “state troopers.” Why, for the love of humanity, are you guys arguing about this crap…you sound like a bunch of first year law school students trying to define an obscure term.

OK, I know this is only my opinion, but considering that I have worked in Miami and Tampa, at one end of the spectrum and Cross City and Jasper on the other, I feel that I have a handle on the issue at hand.

First, we work for different agencies that have different missions…get it…different missions. FHP is primarily a traffic enforcement agency. If this offends you, then what the hell were you thinking when you went to the FHP academy, you were going to come out and become a crime scene sergeant? Personally, I am very proud of the fact that I work for FHP and our primary goal is traffic enforcement.

In such, in 20+ years with FHP, I have had coffee with numerous city officers and deputies and showed them traffic crash investigation 101 and, like wise; they helped me when I got my first Baker Act. This is called TEAMWORK, even when our missions are different. What is the outcome; years after leaving those counties, I still get emails and phone calls when those (as someone call them: losers) come through my area. Why? Because we respect each other and have became lifelong friends.

Second, I am offended when I read the comments implying that city officers and deputies are too stupid to work traffic crashes. Just writing that makes you sound like a mental midget. It is not their mission, just like we do not investigate armed robberies. Why not? 1. It is not our mission. 2. We do not know how 3. It would be a disservice to the victim because FHP does not know the “usual suspects,” 4. We do not have the proper equipment to properly investigate the robbery. 5. We do not have the manpower to adequately investigate. So, what do we do? We TOT it to those that specialize in that are. Likewise, they TOT things to us that are out of their comfort zone.

Finally, if FHP had unlimited amounts of manpower and our traffic statistics showed that we were “winning”, then maybe we could expand our mission.

So, focus on your mission, stop bashing each other, and use each others skills to make you an overall better officer. OHHH…and most importantly, you could actually make a life long friend in the process as more than likely those “losers” probable have very similar hobbies as you do.

I LOVE YOU MAN !!! You are a real TROOPER!

12-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Medical doctors hate chiropractors.

12-29-2007, 12:56 PM

I am a depewdee sherrif who likes two post on the fHp fourum. I's so kool ithurtz. My departmunt haz morr ofisers than you doo.

Thats ok because in the private forum we talk crap about you constantly and you don't even realize it.

Trp G Guy
12-29-2007, 01:05 PM
[quote="Nailonthehead"][quote="Anonymous"]“Yes, I am a LEO during the weekday, but on the weekend I like to argue about the finer points of Florida Constitutional Law…” That is what you guys sound like when you are citing primary sources and secondary sources in a futile attempt to bolster whether FHP should be wearing black tactical type outfits or if it is against the GODS to be calling ourselves “state troopers.” Why, for the love of humanity, are you guys arguing about this crap…you sound like a bunch of first year law school students trying to define an obscure term.

So, focus on your mission, stop bashing each other, and use each others skills to make you an overall better officer. OHHH…and most importantly, you could actually make a life long friend in the process as more than likely those “losers” probable have very similar hobbies as you do

No truer words were ever spoken.

12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Common Sense and well written...Very Nice.

09-18-2009, 04:35 AM
OLD POST BROUGHT TO THE TOP LOLOLOLOL

10-01-2009, 12:29 AM
:devil:

10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok, so you were just stirring the pot, bringing this old post back up. Let me tell you a couple facts. The felony teams read this and in our county, they have started catching an occasional sig-76 and even a minor sig-4 or two. I believe this was the main point and the postings worked, in my opinion. I say THANKS to these guys for trying to help us a little bit.

10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Ok, so you were just stirring the pot, bringing this old post back up. Let me tell you a couple facts. The felony teams read this and in our county, they have started catching an occasional sig-76 and even a minor sig-4 or two. I believe this was the main point and the postings worked, in my opinion. I say THANKS to these guys for trying to help us a little bit.

LOL, yeah all those roaches found in the ashtrays of cars have really put a dent in the drug trade. LOL, go get em boys, you are the lowest activity of all when it comes to those who work the road on a daily basis.

I hear the cartel is shaking in their boots from fear of FHP's Felony teams. They are afraid another roach might be lost.

10-03-2009, 05:15 PM

LOL, yeah all those roaches found in the ashtrays of cars have really put a dent in the drug trade. LOL, go get em boys, you are the lowest activity of all when it comes to those who work the road on a daily basis.

I hear the cartel is shaking in their boots from fear of FHP's Felony teams. They are afraid another roach might be lost.

How many felony drug arrests have you made? You seem to be the kind who badmouths anything and everyone trying to do their job and make a difference. If you think the felony teams are not doing their jobs, address it with facts. Your post is not factual and anyone who pays attention knows there are a lot more than roaches ending up in our evidence rooms from felony teams. You would rather be part of a problem then part of a solution, and I base that opinion on your post which makes you look envious and misinformed.
If you want to be a felony officer, so you can put more than roaches on the table, than by all means apply. If you just want to cause discontent because of some weakness in your character, we have more pressing problems to deal with. Bottom line; Do your job and keep your mission in focus.

10-04-2009, 07:52 PM

How many felony drug arrests have you made? You seem to be the kind who badmouths anything and everyone trying to do their job and make a difference. If you think the felony teams are not doing their jobs, address it with facts. Your post is not factual and anyone who pays attention knows there are a lot more than roaches ending up in our evidence rooms from felony teams. You would rather be part of a problem then part of a solution, and I base that opinion on your post which makes you look envious and misinformed.
If you want to be a felony officer, so you can put more than roaches on the table, than by all means apply. If you just want to cause discontent because of some weakness in your character, we have more pressing problems to deal with. Bottom line; Do your job and keep your mission in focus.

LOL, I guess you have not seen the monthly stat sheet, every month the Felony boys are at the bottom of the list in activity. Month after month after month.

The big busts, yeah they get them now and then..........when DEA or Customs gives them a free one.

You sound a little insecure there slick.

10-06-2009, 12:40 AM

LOL, I guess you have not seen the monthly stat sheet, every month the Felony boys are at the bottom of the list in activity. Month after month after month.

The big busts, yeah they get them now and then..........when DEA or Customs gives them a free one.

No insecurity here SLICK. You are just proving my point. Stop worrying about everyone else while looking at the monthly stat sheet, as you call it, and worry about doing your own job. I have done this job for years and never gauged my worth by wondering what everyone else did. I am sure every other trooper is worried about how they rate on your scale. Every positions has it role in the big scheme, DEA and Customs do not call you, do they. If our felony teams pick up a good drug or money seizure from a DEA tip, why is that a problem for you? Like I said before, it just seems to show a weakness in your character. Stay Safe!

10-06-2009, 02:52 AM

No insecurity here SLICK. You are just proving my point. Stop worrying about everyone else while looking at the monthly stat sheet, as you call it, and worry about doing your own job. I have done this job for years and never gauged my worth by wondering what everyone else did. I am sure every other trooper is worried about how they rate on your scale. Every positions has it role in the big scheme, DEA and Customs do not call you, do they. If our felony teams pick up a good drug or money seizure from a DEA tip, why is that a problem for you? Like I said before, it just seems to show a weakness in your character. Stay Safe!
Well here is why I think that it is a problem for everyone, not only at FHP but for all of the citizens as well. When you are out playing where ever it is that you guys go to play, the rest of the Troop is out there handling the business that FHP was created for. Being the feds do-boys to make traffic stops could be done by any Trooper or other agencies.

We all know that other than an accidental seizure most of the stuff you guys get is nothing more than any observant Trooper could get and do get on a regular basis. These false bravado claims of excellence and superiority do not fool those of us who have been around long enough to know what is going on. The program is a joke. Most of the K-9’s FHP have would not know how to catch a bad guy if he ran up and slapped them on the nose.

Dressing up in a fancy BDU uniform does not make you special, more talented or better than anyone else at FHP. Wasting valuable resources on a job that is apparently mostly for the benefit of federal agencies and the egos of those who work in such units is a misuse of manpower and money.

The only person who seems to have a character weakness is you, due to your insistence on clinging to your position to make you who you are, be your own man and stop relying on your position to make you something that you are not.

10-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Wow. You are really pathetic. I'll buy you a pair of black BDUs if it will make you feel better. Sorry you didn't get picked for felony or K9. You can always try again later. Until then, enjoy your crashes you cry baby.

10-06-2009, 10:26 AM
YOU KNOW FHP, HAS A VERY IMPORTANT JOB TO DO. THEY ARE USUALLY 1ST ON THE SCENE OF SOME OF THE WORST TRAUMAS. PEOPLE DIE, LIVES END, DO TO CARELESS PEOPLE WHO ARE DRUNK, DOING DRUGS, OR TRANSPORTING DRUGS FROM MIAMI TO LET'S FACE IT ANYWHERE IN FLORIDA. YOU SHOULD TRY GOING TO A CALL AT 3 AM, WHERE A FAMILY OF FOUR DEAD , BUT NOT JUST DOA, CREAMED INTO A PAVEMENT, OR SOMEONES CHILD, PARENT, SISTER OR BROTHER. YOU SEE THINGS THAT YOU CANT IMAGINE, AND NEVER WOULD OR SHOULD. YOU BE THE ONE TO CALL THE RELATIVES TO LET THEM KNOW THEIR LOVED ONE ISN'T COMING HOME, AND EVEN WORSE WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED AND THEN HAVE TO LIVE WITH KNOWLEDGE THAT THE PERP WHO CAUSED IT SURVIVED. THE IMPAIRED SURVIVE ALMOST ALL THE TIME, THE FAMILY IN THE OTHER LANE UNFORTUNETLY DON'T. HOW THE *UCK DO YOU THINK DRUGS GET MOVED IN THIS STATE. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY WAYS.

10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
my only problem is that we have K-9 units in troop C, however when we get into a lot of stuff on midnights, fleeing felons, pursuits, suspicion of drugs in a car..etc..and at times this requires the use of a K-9....not once in 7 years have I seen an FHP K-9 unit...I mean should I assume they just do there own thing, because when I call for one on the radio, 20-30 min later, SO or local PD K-9 units respond, and I think to my self what the hell does FHP have them for...to put on a show?

10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
my only problem is that we have K-9 units in troop C, however when we get into a lot of stuff on midnights, fleeing felons, pursuits, suspicion of drugs in a car..etc..and at times this requires the use of a K-9....not once in 7 years have I seen an FHP K-9 unit...I mean should I assume they just do there own thing, because when I call for one on the radio, 20-30 min later, SO or local PD K-9 units respond, and I think to my self what the hell does FHP have them for...to put on a show?

Well, it just goes to show you, you don't have a clue about the Felony Teams. They have already stopped the flow of drugs on midnights, after 8pm during weekdays and all weekends. They are still working on the flow of narcotics on Tuesday through Thursday, from 8am-8pm, and have to use Friday all day to catch up on all the reports. No one can explain why it is so hard to stop the flow of drugs during these hours but might be that the drug couriers only have those days off from their regular jobs (oh, wait, this is their job) or their Baby Mommas only let them out during the daylight hours during the middle of the week. At any rate, your problem is solved, their drug enforcement is much more important than you are, so keep calling the city or the SO. And by the way, if you do need them when they are out, submit a request through your Sergeant and they will be right there, and glad to help. You are their biggest priority, as long as nothing else is going on and it isn't too late into the shift.

10-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Well, it just goes to show you, you don't have a clue about the Felony Teams. They have already stopped the flow of drugs on midnights, after 8pm during weekdays and all weekends. They are still working on the flow of narcotics on Tuesday through Thursday, from 8am-8pm, and have to use Friday all day to catch up on all the reports. No one can explain why it is so hard to stop the flow of drugs during these hours but might be that the drug couriers only have those days off from their regular jobs (oh, wait, this is their job) or their Baby Mommas only let them out during the daylight hours during the middle of the week. At any rate, your problem is solved, their drug enforcement is much more important than you are, so keep calling the city or the SO. And by the way, if you do need them when they are out, submit a request through your Sergeant and they will be right there, and glad to help. You are their biggest priority, as long as nothing else is going on and it isn't too late into the shift.

this is why brotherhood is practically dead within FHP, great to know you have our backs when the rest of us non k9 units get into something and might need your help, but maybe your right, I guess we can all count on deputys or officers rather then fellow troopers...oh excuse me..felony team k9 troopers

10-19-2009, 12:02 AM
I can't tell you number of times I have requested a K-9 unit only to be told one is not available. What in the hell do they do for their shift?

10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I can't tell you number of times I have requested a K-9 unit only to be told one is not available. What in the hell do they do for their shift?

Already been answered. They have already solved the problems with drugs being transported from 8p-8a. They have already solved the problems with drugs being transported on weekends (Fri 8p thru Tue 8A). They are still working on Tues/Wed/Thur from 8a-8p. Apparently Friday is solved too cause that is when they "do paperwork". Now if you need them from 8a-8p Tue, Wed or Thur, put in a request through your supervisor and you may get some help. You can always call the SO or a CITY since they seem to be having a problem with drugs almost all times of almost all days. I guess we have the experts, to have solved the drug problem so well.

10-20-2009, 05:16 AM
From what I know local leos, are involved with fhp as of current. Such as the interdiction units, are they not?

10-20-2009, 05:37 AM
From what I know local leos, are involved with fhp as of current. Such as the interdiction units, are they not?

meaning local leos, across state, with county interdiction units working w/ fhp. I think that is incredibly excellent, when two seperate agencies can support one another, when and where they can. Preventing crime, death, and ultimately Saving lives, before ever being compromised. that's beautiful. keep it up.

10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I totally agree, thanks to all sheriffs and local agencies for helping us out with a K9 request. To the FHP K9 ghost squads, thanks for always looking great when your picture gets posted on the FHP website....with that said, I can't really say anything else about you backing us up

10-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I totally agree, thanks to all sheriffs and local agencies for helping us out with a K9 request. To the FHP K9 ghost squads, thanks for always looking great when your picture gets posted on the FHP website....with that said, I can't really say anything else about you backing us up

It's not CIP's job to be available 24 hours a day to respond every time you ask. This isn't the local PD or SO who has a K9 on-duty almost always. There is only a handful of canines for all of FHP! By all means if they are on-duty I doubt that they run the other way when you call for help. I know in my Troop, they are the first ones to pipe up and help out whenever something is going on. They are not out there to jump every time a trooper thinks they need a K9 to do a drug sniff though. Some more education on when it's appropriate to ask for a K9 is badly needed in many areas. If their purpose was to only back up troopers, there would be canines assigned to each district to work alongside the troopers. I think it would be great to have stand alone K9 officers that were assigned to the districts so that they could always be available to help other troopers in the way of drug sniffs and tracking, like the locals, but that's not how it is.

In FHP, the CIP felony officers and K9 officers are made up of teams with a specific purpose of interdicting contraband from the highways. They are no different than troopers assigned to THI, BOI, background investigations, recruiter, etc. As long as they are doing their jobs and are successful, they should be able to work whenever they want. From reading the legislative budget reduction exercise, it looks like they are doing great "The Contraband Interdiction Program (CIP) is legislatively mandated in Chapter 321.05, Florida Statutes. In 2008 the FHP interdicted over 8.2 million dollars of illegal drugs and contraband being transported on Florida’s highways (This does not include currency seizures.)"

Keep thanking your locals for helping you out. Until FHP decides to put a K9 in each district, you'll need them.

10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

It's not CIP's job to be available 24 hours a day to respond every time you ask. This isn't the local PD or SO who has a K9 on-duty almost always. There is only a handful of canines for all of FHP! By all means if they are on-duty I doubt that they run the other way when you call for help. I know in my Troop, they are the first ones to pipe up and help out whenever something is going on. They are not out there to jump every time a trooper thinks they need a K9 to do a drug sniff though. Some more education on when it's appropriate to ask for a K9 is badly needed in many areas. If their purpose was to only back up troopers, there would be canines assigned to each district to work alongside the troopers. I think it would be great to have stand alone K9 officers that were assigned to the districts so that they could always be available to help other troopers in the way of drug sniffs and tracking, like the locals, but that's not how it is.

In FHP, the CIP felony officers and K9 officers are made up of teams with a specific purpose of interdicting contraband from the highways. They are no different than troopers assigned to THI, BOI, background investigations, recruiter, etc. As long as they are doing their jobs and are successful, they should be able to work whenever they want. From reading the legislative budget reduction exercise, it looks like they are doing great "The Contraband Interdiction Program (CIP) is legislatively mandated in Chapter 321.05, Florida Statutes. In 2008 the FHP interdicted over 8.2 million dollars of illegal drugs and contraband being transported on Florida’s highways (This does not include currency seizures.)"

Keep thanking your locals for helping you out. Until FHP decides to put a K9 in each district, you'll need them.

Think about your little "8.2 million" stat there and then think about the big picture and then you will realize why I'm LMAO! :lol:

Maybe, you should layoff the drugs and contraband or think before you post next time.