PDA

View Full Version : County wants crackdown on cigarette littering

News Flash
05-09-2006, 01:26 AM
County wants crackdown on cigarette littering

Click here (http://www.wwsb.com/news/details.asp?id=43918) for the full story.

05-09-2006, 01:28 AM
what is the f.s.s. for the cigarette butt tossing?

05-09-2006, 05:14 AM
The statue is 403.414 or something like that, Its not hard too find. Its under Littering under 500lbs. Write them on a UTC. Its great. I write them all the time. There is also another one about possibly causing a fire or something. I havent found it yet however Ive been told its there and I believe criminal. These people amaze me. I can not stand that a long with the loud stereos. I will write them all

05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
The FSS you are looking for is 590.10 (1) "Disposing of lighted substances". Works great when you want to get into a car and the dogs too far away. Substantially harder to supress in a drought condition, "like now".
Stay safe, North of the Border.

05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
The FSS you are looking for is 590.10 (1) "Disposing of lighted substances". Works great when you want to get into a car and the dogs too far away. Substantially harder to supress in a drought condition, "like now".
Stay safe, North of the Border.I thought it was FSS 403.413 with a Sarasota County fine of $144.50??????

05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I was referring to the previous post to my intial response stating there was a criminal FSS relating to the cigarette issue but they were not sure where it was located.

I have no idea what the Sarasota County imposed non criminal fine is as I do not work there and as we all know, once you cross the border the ballgames played different in another field.

Also, Im not suggesting that LEOs go around hooking folks up for tossing a butt but in circumstances the criminal statue may be beneficial. I.E. crack/meth head that you know whos moving more than what hes using, refuses consent and no other options are available at the time.

For anyone whos interested, here it is...........

590.10. Disposing of lighted substances, etc.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to throw, drop or dispose of a lighted match, cigarette, cigar, ashes or other flaming thing which may or does cause a wildfire.
(2) Anyone who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Although this statue is probably not going to fly in the hood, it will work in larger subdivisions and rural areas especially now with the fire threat high. I would use it sparingly as If your SAO is anything like ours it will result in a nastygram and possibly a memo down the chain.

Worst case scenario... The SAO doesn't prosecute or the evidence gets suppressed? You get the drugs, tow the car and give the guy a ride.

Just my .02. Yall be safe. N.O.B.

05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Its been years since I've written a citation for littering. Usually I just chew them out. But, I must say that I hate people who throw out cigarette butts. I'm all for a group effort to stroke em for it. Maybe we should do some wolf packs with an observer watching a turn lane at a major intersection. Next time you are waiting for a left turn arrow, look down. There are usually tons of butts there (unless the sweeper was just by). Those butts get washed in the storm drains and go out to the bay.

So, Is it written on a UTC or a NTA? I see that under FSS 403.413(6)a it says $100 fine. Does anybody know for sure how this should be written up and what the fine is?

05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Its been years since I've written a citation for littering. Usually I just chew them out. But, I must say that I hate people who throw out cigarette butts. I'm all for a group effort to stroke em for it. Maybe we should do some wolf packs with an observer watching a turn lane at a major intersection. Next time you are waiting for a left turn arrow, look down. There are usually tons of butts there (unless the sweeper was just by). Those butts get washed in the storm drains and go out to the bay.

So, Is it written on a UTC or a NTA? I see that under FSS 403.413(6)a it says $100 fine. Does anybody know for sure how this should be written up and what the fine is?It's written on a UTC. I've never written a ticket for tossing a cigerette butt, but it annoys me when people do that. The only reason I've never written a ticket for it is because I don't want to be the only one doing that, but if it's going to be a group effort, then I'll start writing those kinds of tickets. Besides, with the dry season on us, those lit cigerette butts are responsible for too many fires. When in the he11 don't smokers snuff out their cigerette butts in the ashtrays of their cars??? :twisted: Oh, I forgot -- they don't want to get their ashtrays dirty. :roll:

05-10-2006, 03:34 PM

So, Is it written on a UTC or a NTA? I see that under FSS 403.413(6)a it says $100 fine. Does anybody know for sure how this should be written up and what the fine is?

Hey thank you so much for your input. That was was I was refereing too. As far as the non-criminal to ---In sarasorasota it $144.50 and you were right as far as the littering statue being written on a UTC. With that 590 statue...I bet you are right. I will use in wisely. Good luck on your side Thanks again and B safe

05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
So, Is it written on a UTC or a NTA? I see that under FSS 403.413(6)a it says $100 fine. Does anybody know for sure how this should be written up and what the fine is?The FS 404.413 is a Littering under 500ibs statue and that is the one you write for the butt being thrown out the window in town. It is $144.50 and you write it on a UTC. It is a civil penalty. You can write it for cups,anything,,,Its trash in general Great I write it ALL the time.

The Criminal one FS 590.10(1) is said to be a good one but use is wisely charge as it is criminal. I wouldnt suggest trying it in the hood but on the interstate or out off SR 72,Northport,Englewood where ever you can cause a fire. That is the main intent of the statue. It is criminal and you can arrest for it but unless the person is a jerk or something and maybe you just want in that car. Id go with the NTA. I hope this helped. With the season like it has been the other officer hit the nail on the head. Its a great staute too use but do it sparingly because we dont need anymore memos from above like we dont get enough as is.

05-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Take a look around D1 if you want to see some ciggy buts. They all go out in front and smoke and leave their messes behind. Then come back 4 more times the rest of the day leaving even more. Nice look for law enforcement agency.

05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Call Corrections and ask for Road Gang COs. Sgt. Stookey to the rescue We can get some inmates right on that... At least they (inmates)are good for something but you are right. It does look awful

05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
:evil: What about when they do use the ashtray then dump the whole thing out at the red light they are sitting at!

05-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Take a look around D1 if you want to see some ciggy buts. They all go out in front and smoke and leave their messes behind. Then come back 4 more times the rest of the day leaving even more. Nice look for law enforcement agency.ROFLMBO :lol:

Yep, we have a zillion smokers, all sitting and standing around the entrance to the CJ building!!! What an impression to citizens!!! :lol: