PDA

View Full Version : How does your Department stay accredited??

05-07-2006, 12:36 AM
I thought CALEA agencies had standards to be held to?..I live in St. Pete, but work for a S.O. where the admin. is not as careless. You guys and girls working for SPPD my hat off to you for what you put up with in and out of the station!...Did you get Reaccredited?

Lawman
05-07-2006, 03:01 AM
We cut CALEA a check for about $30,000.00 so we can say we are accredited. CALEA isn't going to say no to that kind of money unless our paperwork is way out of whack. I have helped to prepare for the inspection in the past, it isn't hard to do.

05-07-2006, 03:12 AM
CALEA accreditation means nothing. If the agency can pony up the 30K then they have a 99.9% chance of passing. Its all about money.

05-07-2006, 03:28 AM
CALEA is a joke, just like SPPD administration has been a joke since the mid 90's. It's all in how the necessary reports are written and anyone with a talent for writing can skew the reports to make the department look good.

Many of the men and women of SPPD are strong, upstanding, hardworking people who do their best to protect the citizens of St. Petersburg. At one time, SPPD was considered a role model for other agencies, but years of abuse, favoritism, reverse rasicm, sexism and plain old dishonesty and unethical practices has reduced the once proud, honorable gem of Pinellas County into the laughing stock of other law enforcement agencies throughout the state.

Many employees, past and present, have done what they can... many have paid a very high price to try to rectify what they see as wrong. Some have given in and go with the flow because their personal situations demand that they stay in the department and they do what they can to make it through the day, week and month. Others have sold out and now are contributing to the problem.

The law abiding citizens of St. Petersburg need to be the catalyst for real change with the use of the ballot box as well as their voices to demand honest, ethical standards throughout the city starting in the mayor's office and throughout every city department. Public apathy is the biggest deterent for radical change in the city and in particular the police department. Since you are a resident and know some of what is happening, tell your neighbors, your friends and anyone who will listen. Let them know what is going on and urge them to speak up. Let them know it is not just a few disgruntled employees, but that there really are major problems that need to be addressed.

05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
There is no argument to be made with what you have written. Sad and true

05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
It's similar to grant writing -- a good sales pitch