PDA

View Full Version : Employee Appreciation Week

05-04-2006, 04:12 AM
This is employee appreciation week at DOC. Maybe your office and/or circuit has created activities to boost your morale. The management at my office has done nothing, which is what I expected. Our circuit office on the other hand did attempt to do something. On the Morning of May 2, 2006 the circuit office sent over 9 donuts. There are almost 40 employees at our office, yet they send us 9 donuts. I can't say I appreciate the thought because no thought went into it.

However, their are offices within the state that their supervisors have something planned for their officers each day of the week. For example, a Pizza Day, Ice Cream Social Day, etc. That is what employee appreciation week should be.

05-04-2006, 04:42 AM
You don't understand, the select exempt employees (Deputy Circuit Administrators and Above) don't have time to appreciate you because their heads are always on the chopping block. They have to constantly kiss the ass of their superiors to stay alive. If the Colonel truly wants to kill the nepotism/favoritism within the department, he needs to have all the upper management in the career service system, not select exempt (he also needs to change the promotional policy system strictly to a written test based systen similar to a sergants exam used by many agencies). If upper management had some job security, perhaps they would not be afraid to communicate with the bobble heads in Tallahassee on what is really going on in the field. However expect no changes with the current leadership that will improve public saftey by us not wearing jeans! Image is everything, substance is nothing!

05-04-2006, 09:06 PM
We are having a Employee app cookout on 5-17-06. It was the date that worked for all of us. I am blessed to work in a great office with great supervisors. Morale is what you as a office make it. Make it a place you do not mind being.

05-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I agee we should go back to the original system when most employees were career service. I do disagree about how we dress. I, like so many others took advantage of dress-down and throughly tested it's limits. If we wear a suit or jeans does not effect how we perform our job - I nor any one I know did better or worse by wearing jeans; however, we should dress appropriately. On dress down days, there were P&P emnployees who looked more like convicts than the convicts they supervised. I saw the way people dressed on Friday bleed into the other four days to the point the offices looked like a start-up computer game company more that a State agency. I have no problem with what McD did because one of the first steps in establishing discipline is appearance - clothing, haircuts and cleanliness. How in hell can we expect people on the street to look on us and treat us as professionals or expect the legislature to pay us as professionals if we look like we slep in our clothes.

05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I have to agree: the dress was getting out of control in most offices and yet... despite the efforts of the Secretary-interm, things are slipping back into the same ole routine. I've seen people wearing jeans and athletic shoes and get away with it. Then too, I have heard of people getting sent home for wearing the same thing as their co-worker, but just didn't do enough butt-kissing for the day or something. C'mon people... think "Dockers" and get on with life.

GoDevil
05-08-2006, 10:25 AM
At 20-1 we had special activities, last week and are having an ice cream social this week. 20-1 management is very considerate of its entire staff. It is apleasure to work there. GoDevil

05-09-2006, 12:34 AM
i think we should all have crafts and eat cup cakes at our offices because this job is full of old folks that could never get a real job with a real badge. this place drives me crazy and i cannot wait until the police hire me. :D

05-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Who make this place have its weak moments. In our office we had a pizza lunch, and said thanks to each other for all the help we as a office do together. I am glad we make it work for us.

05-09-2006, 02:40 AM
I agee we should go back to the original system when most employees were career service. I do disagree about how we dress. I, like so many others took advantage of dress-down and throughly tested it's limits. If we wear a suit or jeans does not effect how we perform our job - I nor any one I know did better or worse by wearing jeans; however, we should dress appropriately. On dress down days, there were P&P emnployees who looked more like convicts than the convicts they supervised. I saw the way people dressed on Friday bleed into the other four days to the point the offices looked like a start-up computer game company more that a State agency. I have no problem with what McD did because one of the first steps in establishing discipline is appearance - clothing, haircuts and cleanliness. How in hell can we expect people on the street to look on us and treat us as professionals or expect the legislature to pay us as professionals if we look like we slep in our clothes.

I agree with the select exempt issue, however you must be old school if you think dress code = professionalism. You must be from the time PO's were social workers. The reality is we are moving in the law enforcement direction and our dress code should reflect that. Not too long ago, I got involved in a scuffle backing up a deputy assisting us (the deputy requested assistance and failing to assist them is a 3rd degree felony). This occurred in front of the office. I ended up ruining my DRESS SLACKS because knees hitting pavement = ruining dress slacks! We should wear clothing that is appropirate for a worst case scenario in our job!

05-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Jeans will never be put on the dress code. Get over it and move on. When is the last time you seen a police officer wearing jeans (who wasn't 'undercover')? Hmmmm??

As for Employee Appreciation - in our office we were asked to pitch in and help pay for our lunch. I guess it's more like "appreciate yourselves" month or something.

By the way, I appreciate working with professionals. If you can't practice common courtesy - you're not acting professional. When is the last time you said "Please" and "Thank you" to your fellow co-worker? To those of you who treat EVERYONE with respect and make this a good place to work - Thank You - I appreciate you. To those who don't ... grow up and/or go somewhere else.

05-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Jeans will never be put on the dress code. Get over it and move on. When is the last time you seen a police officer wearing jeans (who wasn't 'undercover')? Hmmmm??

As for Employee Appreciation - in our office we were asked to pitch in and help pay for our lunch. I guess it's more like "appreciate yourselves" month or something.

By the way, I appreciate working with professionals. If you can't practice common courtesy - you're not acting professional. When is the last time you said "Please" and "Thank you" to your fellow co-worker? To those of you who treat EVERYONE with respect and make this a good place to work - Thank You - I appreciate you. To those who don't ... grow up and/or go somewhere else.

The last time I saw a cop wearing jeans was yesterday, and they weren't undercover and were on duty. Our local Sheriff's Office allows specialized units to wear jeans and a department t-shirt with athletic shoes. For example our fugitive squad wears jeans, career criminal unit wears jeans, and our SET teams wear jeans. In addition their are other police departments within our county that allow their officers to wear jeans.

Darth Duck
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Beyond all that, jeans were incentive to raise money through casual days. I am curious to see how the corrections foundation will do. I did not cancel mine like others did which did send a strong message albeit the department jumped back down harshly. Without the paid "real' casual day I suppose new people are just supposed to give money because it is their "duty" and it is the "honorable" thing to do. Come on people it is not what the department can do for you but what you can do for the department. We are at war you know. :wink:

Darth Duck
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
as for employee appreciation. The department does not allocate funds for "appreciation". They expect the CA and DCA's to appreciate themselves. My office decided we would appreciate ourselves at our own choosing and not during reporting when it is inconvenient. Didn't the Mike and Mike show let us wear jeans during that week? Jeans, Jeans, Jeans people just forget about and get over it we have work to do.

05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
he could not afford to do a lot but here is what he did
We each received a handwritten note about how he felt about us working with him, not for him, and a hershey kiss. Is that cool or what. Thanks Boss.

05-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Our boses are springing for PIZZA next week. That's just great...Kick @ss all year and try to make amends by buying a few pies?! Go Figure !!

05-13-2006, 03:19 AM
who should tell your boss you won't eat it. Get over yourself.

05-15-2006, 03:44 AM
I like my supervisor , we all work together.

05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Bull Sh_T.

These people will fire you at the drop of a hat to protect themselves or to make themselves look good.

Why not be honest about it and call it Employee Self Appreciation Week and give is an hour or so to have our little luncheons which we provide for ourselves.

No one cares about state employees. We are like a roof. The only time roofs get noticed is in a negative way - such as when they get old and need replaced, or when they develop a leak or when they get damaged in a storm.

So cut the crap and let us enjoy our hour (that sounded funny somehow) long little luncheon.

05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
AND THIS LITTLE COOKOUT HAS MADE OUR OFFICE LAUGH MORE THEN ONCE AS WE HAVE TRIED TO COME UP WITH AMERICAN NAMES FOR OUR FOODS. WE HAVE DONE THIS BECAUSE IT IS MEMORIAL DAY MONTH AND BECAUSE WE AS A OFFICE LIKE TO LAUGH. TRY IT SOME DAY AND YOU WILL SEE LAUGHTER IS A GOOD THING.