PDA

View Full Version : HIRING

05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Is SSO currently hiring certified law enforcement officers for the road deputy position? If so, how many openings are there? Thanks

SSO Employee
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Is SSO currently hiring certified law enforcement officers for the road deputy position? If so, how many openings are there? ThanksMannn this seems to be a question that we keep answering over and over. Hey Mod 24, can you put a sticky to this question so we don't have to keep answering it? :? Thanks! 8) General information about SSO employment:
click here (http://sarasotasheriff.org/humanresources.asp)
[/*:m:1qjw1exs]
Current openings:
click here (http://sarasotasheriff.org/currentopenings.asp)
SSO law enforcement:
click here (http://sarasotasheriff.org/job_deputy.asp)
"Equivalency training" for certified out-of-state LEOs:
click here (http://www.policestandards.org/eot_faq.htm)
SSO corrections:
click here (http://sarasotasheriff.org/job_correctionsdeputy.asp)
Sarasota academy:
click here (http://www.sarasotatech.org/programs/criminal_justice_academy.htm)
911 center:
click here (http://sarasotasheriff.org/job_communications.asp)[/*:m:1qjw1exs]It's a GREAT place to work!!! Good luck!!! 8)

05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I 'm getting all excited about flying in the Whirlybird. Aunty Em , Aunty Em !

05-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I HAVE BEEN AT SSO FOR 2 YEARS AND LOVE IT. THE MONEY IS GOOD AND LOTS OF CAREER OPPORTUNITIES. THIS DEPT HAS GREAT TRAINING AND ISSUES GREAT EQUIPTMENT NOT TO MENTION OUR FLEET UNIT IS TOP NOTCH.

05-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I HAVE BEEN AT SSO FOR 2 YEARS AND LOVE IT. THE MONEY IS GOOD AND LOTS OF CAREER OPPORTUNITIES. THIS DEPT HAS GREAT TRAINING AND ISSUES GREAT EQUIPTMENT NOT TO MENTION OUR FLEET UNIT IS TOP NOTCH.

Just don't go to the jail if you dual certified, they will leave you there untill you retire or die, or quit.

05-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Thank you for posting the sticky note with all of the helpful links. What I need to know is if the SSO is currently hiring FDLE certified Road Deputies?. I know the website states that the LEO position is open until filled. My concern is that when I applied, (passed a PAT and oral board, and was told that they were going to start a background check)-I was then told that they had a 10 month long hiring freeze. The PAT is only good for 6 months. The oral board is only good for 6 months. They had about an 8 month scheduling backlog to take another oral board. Now I have to start over again from scratch. So.....before I go through all of that all over again, I would like to know. Thank you.

05-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Thank you for posting the sticky note with all of the helpful links. What I need to know is if the SSO is currently hiring FDLE certified Road Deputies?. I know the website states that the LEO position is open until filled. My concern is that when I applied, (passed a PAT and oral board, and was told that they were going to start a background check)-I was then told that they had a 10 month long hiring freeze. The PAT is only good for 6 months. The oral board is only good for 6 months. They had about an 8 month scheduling backlog to take another oral board. Now I have to start over again from scratch. So.....before I go through all of that all over again, I would like to know. Thank you.All I can say is keep at it and be persistent. Always show the utmost courtsey over the phone and in person -- because people remember that and people always root for the underdog. If they say that you have to go through the oral board and/or take the PAT test again -- then be extremely courtious about it and go through the motions. It is well worth it if you get hired. The wait -- and the climb up -- is well worth it.

Be persistent. If you have a "calling" to enter law enforcement, then you won't be able to quit trying.

05-28-2006, 05:28 PM
To: SSO Webmaster

Your recruitment page is pretty good (it's at the begining of this thread), but it could use some improvement. For example, if you look at JSO's recruiting page (http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Personnel+and+Professional+Standards/Personnel/Police+Recruitment.htm) and scroll down to the bottom, it will bring you to a link that weeds out unqualified applicants (http://apps2.coj.net/CMS_Forms/JSOPoliceQualifying.asp). You could expand this online questionairre to suit your hiring requirements. Qualified applicants are forwarded to an online application-process which looks fantastic. :mrgreen:

I recommend the SSO do something similar!!! :mrgreen:

06-03-2006, 02:14 AM
[quote="Webmaster"]To: SSO Webmaster

Your recruitment page is pretty good (it's at the begining of this thread), but it could use some improvement. For example, if you look at JSO's recruiting page (http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Personnel+and+Professional+Standards/Personnel/Police+Recruitment.htm) and scroll down to the bottom, it will bring you to a link that weeds out unqualified applicants (http://apps2.coj.net/CMS_Forms/JSOPoliceQualifying.asp). You could expand this online questionairre to suit your hiring requirements. Qualified applicants are forwarded to an online application-process which looks fantastic. :mrgreen:

I agree, our recruitment concepts need overhauled kinda like a military recruitor.

Good videos with good still pictures of our boats,choppers,bicycles,cars, graphics on a flat screen monitor with good sound and music. A welcome packet to mail out or pick up with a CD of the videos and pictures and qualifications,application in word etc.with Coffee cups,pens,notebooks, you know something that gets a new person excited and wanting to apply here. We dont sell ourselves very well here. A recruitor should be a sharp dressed cop not civillan or not all civiialns. A class A uniform campaign hat on the table and sharp lookiing car, no cage to take the applicants out to lunch on occasion. Just an idea.....

06-03-2006, 02:17 AM

Just don't go to the jail if you dual certified, they will leave you there untill you retire or die, or quit.

Thats not true. I came from the jail and only did 18 months. So dont let them sell you that. The problem right now is we are SOOOOOO short in the jail. They cant afford to let anyone out right now. I know that doesnt help morale at all but the needs of the agency will always out weigh ours. Thats just life.

06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
i am a new deputy with sso it is a real x8 agency. i came from a smaller pd in the panhandle area.

06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
i am a new deputy with sso it is a real x8 agency. i came from a smaller pd in the panhandle area.We have a lot of potential here. Plenty of room for growth, promotions, specialty jobs, good retirement, etc. Now that we're an urban agency (and unionized), our pay will have to go up too. Potential!!!

06-30-2006, 01:02 PM
i also enjoy working here. this area has a good mix of crime and population. this area is growing and it is a great place to work as a cop. we have drugs,violent crime, water ways, rural areas, highways basically everything to enhance your leo career work wise. this dept offers you many opportunities to work in special units some with special pay. the dept is growing which means get in now and i am sure you will enjoy it.

06-30-2006, 02:10 PM
So they are actively looking for applicants for road patrol again?

07-01-2006, 10:14 AM
So they are actively looking for applicants for road patrol again?We are always looking for good applicants. However, we only hire about 3 to 8 recruits each year, depending on how many people quit or retire. It's an ongoing process and is very competitive, unless you have a connection on the inside. For example, Dunklee Jr. is the son of Chief Deputy Dunklee Sr., so he has an inside greased track. If you don't have a connection, then you have to shine pretty bright!!!!

07-03-2006, 08:47 PM
So they are actively looking for applicants for road patrol again?We are always looking for good applicants. However, we only hire about 3 to 8 recruits each year, depending on how many people quit or retire. It's an ongoing process and is very competitive, unless you have a connection on the inside. For example, Dunklee Jr. is the son of Chief Deputy Dunklee Sr., so he has an inside greased track. If you don't have a connection, then you have to shine pretty bright!!!!

Some say SSO is short staffed everywhere, and you say they hire as few as 3 a year. How can this be?

07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Some say SSO is short staffed everywhere, and you say they hire as few as 3 a year. How can this be?I was only referring to the hiring of LEOs -- not COs and civilians. If COs and civilians are added into the mix, then we hire a lot more. Also, when I said we usually hire 3 to 8 LEOs each year, there are exceptions -- lately, we've been hiring a LOT more than 3 people each year!!! Does anyone know about how many LEOs we hired last year? 8? 10? 12?

07-13-2006, 12:26 AM
i need to get hired by sso i work for the state and i hate it :twisted:

07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
i need to get hired by sso i work for the state and i hate it :twisted:Common over. We *****, whine and complain, but we know that it's a helluva lot better then anything the state has to offer. No offense intended to anyone who works for the state.

07-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah we do have a lot of cry babies but I worked for the state and another S.O. years ago and we have it good here. So dont let anyone tell you different. The most we b!tch about is stupid stuff that doesnt even affect us on the lower level. Come on over. Good luck to you

07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
The Sheriff dosen't care about hie empoyees, just look at what he's paying :roll:

07-19-2006, 12:28 AM
The Sheriff dosen't care about hie empoyees, just look at what he's paying :roll:That's not the issue. Of course he cares, but there's a lot more involved in the payscale issue than whether or not the sheriff "cares" about SSO employees. Let's face it -- the SSO was a backwoods sheriff's office for many years. Sure, we impressed Desoto County s/o and Charlotte County s/o and a lot of other tiny departments, but now that Sarasota has become the love of the United States, we're one of the fastest growing counties in our country. People are snapping up real estate left & right, which is causing real estate prices to rise, along with other costs and now Sarasota County has become the 7th most expensive place to live in the country (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060707/BUSINESS/607070546/-1/GOOGLE01). Under those conditions, could any sheriff handle or understand the pay issue??? Did Monge understand it any better??? No!!! It was Monge who took away longevity pay!!! ;)

It's a backlash and the pendelum will eventually catch up with our cost vs. pay problem. Having said that, I do wish that the sheriff would have given the old timers a 1% or a 2% payraise instead of 0%. I have no idea what's up with that decision. But overall, we work in a great place and the future can only get better!!!!! :D

07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
They are short staffed every where because they the emploees,realized what a bunch of morons running the place can do...NOTHING. If you look at other agencies, they make the SSO look, shall we say, not so hot. :roll:

07-21-2006, 03:04 PM
They are short staffed every where because they the emploees,realized what a bunch of morons running the place can do...NOTHING. If you look at other agencies, they make the SSO look, shall we say, not so hot. :roll:

I am a Florida certified LEO with over 20 years of experience. Where would you recommend that I apply? Thanks

07-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I am a Florida certified LEO with over 20 years of experience. Where would you recommend that I apply? ThanksI presume you are already retired because you have 20 years under your belt. Apply to the SSO because we have a lot of opportunity here. For example, we have: Bailiff Section - a lot of our older guys like this because you're less likely to get injurred on-the-job (fewer fights) and it's Monday through Friday with weekends and holidays off. A lot of retired cops also like to apply for this position for the same reasons. It's an excellent gig.
[/*:m:3rsjiwab]
Law enforcement - we also have traditional police services, if you're interested. But if I retire, I'm not going back to street-level cops work. No way!!! Anyways, it includes patrol, traffic, narcotics, CID, etc...
[/*:m:3rsjiwab]
Civil Section - this is pretty laid back. [/*:m:3rsjiwab]The Sarasota Sheriff's Office is an outstand agency. I won't deny that we have problems, but show me an agency that doesn't and I'll sell you the Golden Gate Bridge for a good price. ;) I've worked for three different police agencies and the SSO is the best by far. Yes Yes Yes it's true that we are suffering from a bad rash of "politics" right now, but it will eventually pass.

I highly recommend you apply for:
Sarasota Sheriff's Office
North Port Police Department
Venice Police Department

It's all good. If you have any specific questions, ask away!!!

07-22-2006, 03:08 AM
[quote="Job Seeker":1tw36vfk]I am a Florida certified LEO with over 20 years of experience. Where would you recommend that I apply? ThanksI presume you are already retired because you have 20 years under your belt. Apply to the SSO because we have a lot of opportunity here. For example, we have: Bailiff Section - a lot of our older guys like this because you're less likely to get injurred on-the-job (fewer fights) and it's Monday through Friday with weekends and holidays off. A lot of retired cops also like to apply for this position for the same reasons. It's an excellent gig.
[/*:m:1tw36vfk]
Law enforcement - we also have traditional police services, if you're interested. But if I retire, I'm not going back to street-level cops work. No way!!! Anyways, it includes patrol, traffic, narcotics, CID, etc...
[/*:m:1tw36vfk]
Civil Section - this is pretty laid back. [/*:m:1tw36vfk]The Sarasota Sheriff's Office is an outstand agency. I won't deny that we have problems, but show me an agency that doesn't and I'll sell you the Golden Gate Bridge for a good price. ;) I've worked for three different police agencies and the SSO is the best by far. Yes Yes Yes it's true that we are suffering from a bad rash of "politics" right now, but it will eventually pass.

I highly recommend you apply for:
Sarasota Sheriff's Office
North Port Police Department
Venice Police Department

It's all good. If you have any specific questions, ask away!!![/quote:1tw36vfk]

I have 7 years of experience in my department's civil division. Do you do property and income execution enforcement as well as forceable evictions? Is that an entry level position, or internal transfer only? Thanks

07-22-2006, 10:57 AM
I have 7 years of experience in my department's civil division. Do you do property and income execution enforcement as well as forceable evictions? Is that an entry level position, or internal transfer only? ThanksAre you retired from Florida or from a different state? If you're retired from Florida, then you're already familiar with how our laws work down here -- and that makes you more valuable IMO.

Civil is pretty specialized and we usually pick from in-house, but if you already have experience with Florida law in that area, you have a better chance of going right into our civil section. No guarantees though. On your application, make sure you list that experience and during your oral board interview, make sure you tell them!!!

07-23-2006, 02:57 PM
All of my law enforcement experience is out of state. I retired over a year ago. I have a relative who is a civilian employee with the SSO. Will that have any effect on my being hired as a deputy sheriff?

07-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Say what you want but Hogle has the political connections to get us what we need and be the real police again.

07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
All of my law enforcement experience is out of state. I retired over a year ago. I have a relative who is a civilian employee with the SSO. Will that have any effect on my being hired as a deputy sheriff?If your relative is high ranking, then yes, of course, it will definately help (obviously). If your relative is rankless, then it certainly won't hurt, but they won't be able to pull strings for you to force things to happen for you.

We're also desperate for correctional officers, but that's a sewer job and I wouldn't recommend that, although the pay is pretty good now (compared to what it used to be). The department will pay an applicant to go through the academy.

If you're not a certified Florida LEO, then I'd recommend that you go through the accelerated 2-week academy for out-of-state officers, but you'd better hurry because if you wait too long, then you'll have to go through the entire academy. I don't know what the time-limit is (4 years?). There is a 2 or 3 week academy at St. Pete College. If you get yourself certified, then your chances of getting hired are a lot better because then the department doesn't have to pay to send you through a 6 month academy.

Certification + Prior experience = Increased chance of getting hired ;)

I'd recommend that you get yourself certified at St. Pete College and then put in an application to get hired and ask for either civil or bailiff. But to get the sworn civil position can be tough. I'm being honest with you about that. A lot of guys want that position because you get a stack of papers and then you're basically on your own. The boredom would kill me, but for some reason a lot of guys really want it.

07-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Looking at our comparison to the bigger agencies. We actually are paying the same thing so deal with it folks. Its not just us that sucks in pay, its Florida in general. We have a good agency and if you want to apply go for it. When you look at other agencies you will see we have a really good reputation statewide. Good luck to you

08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
WE USED TO HAVE A PRETTY GOOD REPUTATION, BUT IT HAS SUNK SIGNIFICANTLY IN THE LAST FEW YEARS.
I DONT BELIEVE WE PAY AS WELL AS LARGE AGENCIES, AND EVEN IF WE ARE CLOSE IT DOSNT MAKE UP FOR THE COST OF LIVING HERE.
VACANCIES ARE ALREADY A PROBLEM, AND ARE GOIN TO GET MUCH WORSE.
DEAL WITH THAT!

08-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Good reputation...??? Who and the Hell have you been talking to?? This place is at the lowest I have seen in 15 years!!!

08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Sorry bro I was just on vacation on the east coast at my brothers agency and they had nothing but high regards for us and I have a close friend at HCSO. We have it much better than they do. YOu are right as far as cost of living though and that makes a huge diffence but geez Im from another Florida SO before I came here and trust me we have it good here. Grass isnt always better on the outside until youve done. So sell your negative attitude to smeone else. I enjoy it here, I among 66 other counties wished we paid more but we are no different than any other S.O. (So deal with That!)

08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Sarasota is the 7th most expensive place to live in the nation according to a recent survey, and we have a Sheriff who keeps raising the pay of his buddys and not the Deputys.
This year he is refusing to give us any raise, which means another year that some senior deputs will go without, some for as long as 5-6 yrs now.
I would not advise anyone to come here you can do so much better in any of the surronding agencies, they pay better and have better benefits, MSO has free health care, while we continue to pay more every yr.
We are short handed and is continues to get worst every day, those that can are leaving, and the rest are counting the days till retirement and getting out of here.
Every week brings a new disaster or crime commmitted within the dept,,,,and way too many are committed by the sheriff's friends and staff members, setting the whole dept up to ridicule. Wait a few years after we hopefully get a new sheriff someone not connected with this admin, and give him time to clean this unholy mess up!

08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Most of us know that the agency is good, as far as working conditions and "potential." But the current sheriff just offered the rankless old timers a 0% payraise for the 5th straiaght year in a row. That's what has so many people up in arms.

In the old days, we had longevity pay, which prevented these kinds of pay disparities from happening. Maybe they knew what they were doing in the old days??? ;)

08-03-2006, 01:10 AM
IVE SEEN HCSO PAY SCALE. THEY DO MAKE MORE THAN US. IN SOME CASES ITS CONSIDERABLE. WHO ARE U KIDDING. ALSO IT TAKES MUCH LESS TIME TO TOP OUT IN DEPUTY AND SUPERVISOR CLASIFICATIONS. (THIS JUST IN) WHEN YOU HAVE LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE GOING YEARS WITHOUT A PAY RAISE IN AN AREA THAT IS THE 7TH MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE IN THE COUNTRY TO LIVE YOU WOULD NOT SAY "WE HAVE IT GOOD HERE"
ITS NOT A NEGATIVE ATTITUDE THAT I HAVE, JUST A SADNESS FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED. I WISH I COULD BE BRAGGING ABOUT OUR PLACE, BUT I WOULDNT BE HONEST IF I DID.

08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
IVE SEEN HCSO PAY SCALE. THEY DO MAKE MORE THAN US. IN SOME CASES ITS CONSIDERABLE. WHO ARE U KIDDING. ALSO IT TAKES MUCH LESS TIME TO TOP OUT IN DEPUTY AND SUPERVISOR CLASIFICATIONS. (THIS JUST IN) WHEN YOU HAVE LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE GOING YEARS WITHOUT A PAY RAISE IN AN AREA THAT IS THE 7TH MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE IN THE COUNTRY TO LIVE YOU WOULD NOT SAY "WE HAVE IT GOOD HERE"
ITS NOT A NEGATIVE ATTITUDE THAT I HAVE, JUST A SADNESS FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED. I WISH I COULD BE BRAGGING ABOUT OUR PLACE, BUT I WOULDNT BE HONEST IF I DID.Ahhhhh yes, good point!!!! Many of us have received a 0% payraise for 5 years in a row --- and we're labled as "malcontents" for pointing it out??? Sheriff Balkwill and Chief Deputy Dunklee and Captain/Major Forbis don't want us to point it out??? Get a grip. :roll: Dunklee & Forbis have received 30% to 45% payraises themselves, but they label us as malcontents simply because we've gotten 0% payraises for 5 years? :roll:

Is there a disparity here? :roll:

08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
You listed Captain/Major Forbis. Is he/she a captain, or a major?

08-03-2006, 05:08 PM
You listed Captain/Major Forbis. Is he a captain, or a major?At briefing we were all laughing about it. Supposedly, he is still a captain, but he goes by the rank of major. Plus the sheriff gave him a shirt that says major on it, so the writing is on the wall.

08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
When did SSO drop the requirement for an AA degree? I have 12 years in service....6 in state retirement and have wanted to relocate to Sarasota due to my wife's career in education but have stayed put due to not having a degree and I want to stay in FRS so I can retire before senility sets in. :D

08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
the education standards were changed about 4 mos ago. apperantly the agency couldn't get enough applicants that had college. With your 12 years in service you shold have no problems coming here if you want

08-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Changing the college requirements have nothing to do with not getting enough applicants. The requirements were changed so Dunklee's kid could get to the front of the line, and get hired. Thats the way it goes at the SSO :roll:

08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Changing the college requirements have nothing to do with not getting enough applicants. The requirements were changed so Dunklee's kid could get to the front of the line, and get hired. Thats the way it goes at the SSO :roll:Dunklee Sr. doesn't have a Bachelors degree, so he wasn't eligible to get promoted to lieutenant, so the general order was changed (just for him) and then after he was promoted, the general order was changed back. :shock:

Dunklee Jr. doesn't have any college, so he wasn't eligible to get hired as a deputy, so the general order was changed (just for him) and now that he is hired, it will be interesting to see if the general order is changed back. :shock:

08-18-2006, 01:15 AM
AS YOU CAN SEE THEY (REQIRMENTS) CHANGE WITH THE WIND HERE. WITH EXPERIENCE AND NO BAGGAGE YOU CAN POSSIBLY LAND A POSITION. WE HAVE TONS OF OPENINGS.
IN EDUCATION AREA, OUR SCHOOL SYSTEM JUST LAID OFF SOME FOLKS AND STUDENT POPULATION IS SHRINKING. HOME AND RENTAL PRICES ARE OUT OF SIGHT HERE ALSO, SO I WOULD DO SOME SERIOUS HOMEWORK ON THESE ISSUES.

08-23-2006, 09:11 PM
What's Dunk's kid's name? Never seen or heard of him. Also where is he at now? Field training?

On a side note, college really doesn't make a better cop or make you a better qualified applicant. We must rely on our hiring process to do that.

As far as changing the G.O. that was a pretty extreme measure just to hire Dunk's boy. There are many ways he could have been hired without doing that. Life credit's ect.

So my gut tells me he may have had something to do with the change, but I doubt it was soley because of him.

If this G.O. stands, eventually it will catch up to the promotion process making alot of people ineligible for the exam. Then what, lower that requirement as well?

08-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Yup!, you got it!

08-30-2006, 12:55 AM
just call freakin personnel for god's sake, like everyone else did!

09-01-2006, 12:04 AM
i have been trying to be a deputy for 2 years and i cant get on after 2 interviews.

09-01-2006, 12:33 AM
i have been trying to be a deputy for 2 years and i cant get on after 2 interviews.Being a college graduate doesn't amount to a hill of beans at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office. Having a degree is great, but it won't help you to get hired or to get ahead. The Department of Corrections requires a Bachelors degree to get hired on, yet that is one of the most f*cked up agencies that I've ever seen and it's proof that being a college grad doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

The SSO has lots of college graduates. Back when Monge was here, he really pushed hard for education, so a lot of guys went back to college to get degrees. If they could know then what they know now, they probably would not have done it. However, it's nice to be able to hang it on your wall, even if it won't change your life. It's just a piece of paper.

09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
i have been trying to be a deputy for 2 years and i cant get on after 2 interviews.

Say, College Grad, How Old Are You? Your age may be the most important factor here.

09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
45yoa do you think that this isthe problem. i have seen some older new deputies get hired?

09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm 45 yoa. Do you think that this isthe problem. i have seen some older new deputies get hired?It's really really hard to say. I'm sure that there's a reason, but who knows what it is??? Unknown.

09-03-2006, 06:47 PM

They are not legally allowed to discriminate due to age. But, Toto, you are not in Kansas anymore. They DO discriminate. Based on age, or where you are from, or if they just do not like you. Sometimes an investigating officer has a thing against you, and you do not even know what or why. They do not have to hire any specific candidate. They are sometimes jealous that your pension from another place is more than they will EVER earn. Without knowing your background, it is difficult to say. If you pass their entry level tests, you should be hired. However.........................

WELCOME TO FLORIDALAND!

09-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Yea, you have to shine prety bright; you either have to be a alcoholic, or a prior arrest. Or you have to have a habit of fondeling your self infront of wemen. Oh yea , you have to be moraly bankrupt. :roll:

09-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Yea, you have to shine prety bright; you either have to be a alcoholic, or a prior arrest. Or you have to have a habit of fondeling your self infront of wemen. Oh yea , you have to be moraly bankrupt. :roll:

Mann that was rough, true to an extent but overall we have an excellent agency. Ive worked for other Florida S.Os that are just as bad so dont let anyone think we are any different. Its all what you make of it.

09-21-2006, 11:06 PM
so i know some people that know guy that knew a college grad about 20-22 years old. will he be discrminated against due to his age? thats just not right. people should be judged by their credentials not age!
please post on this.

09-21-2006, 11:10 PM
so i know some people that know guy that knew a college grad about 20-22 years old. will he be discrminated against due to his age? Can you please re-type your question??? But before you do that, hit the "preview" button and read it to see if it makes sense. I read and re-read your question, but I have no idea what you're asking.

09-22-2006, 12:47 AM
sorry i just wanted to know if the SO frowns on young applicants and are they at a disadvantage in the hiring process? i know a young man that is trying to get hired yet is being told he will have a hard time being picked up due to his young age at sarasota so. thanks

09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Sometimes it looks like there is no rhyme or reason to our hiring policies, but if you take a closer look, it's based on two factors: If you don't know anybody and if you don't have any connections, then you have to shine like the noonday sun to be noticed and to be picked for hiring. You have to be the best to get hired. Well groomed and a great speaker and high scores. Everybody else is put in the "other stack," if you know what I mean.[/*:m:202gi5tn]
If you have a relative at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office and if you are a low quality applicant, you will be hired first because of your "connections."[/*:m:202gi5tn]That's just the way it is.

09-25-2006, 02:30 PM
This agency has absolutly NO ETHICS! Just look at who is at the top! It doesn't matter if you have a tip top resume or have 20 year experience, if your a scumbag and know some one, they will hire the scum first and the good eggs get the trash bin. Nice going SSO. :evil:

09-25-2006, 05:32 PM
This agency has absolutly NO ETHICS! Just look at who is at the top! It doesn't matter if you have a tip top resume or have 20 year experience, if your a scumbag and know some one, they will hire the scum first and the good eggs get the trash bin. Nice going SSO. :evil:It's that way everywhere and not just here. :roll:

10-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I applied with SSO, have a four year degree, 12+ years as LEO in FL and know several people at SSO. All I can say is that Frobis is a Richard Cranium and I am glad I got a job somewhere else.

10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Changing the college requirements have nothing to do with not getting enough applicants. The requirements were changed so Dunklee's kid could get to the front of the line, and get hired. Thats the way it goes at the SSO :roll:Dunklee Sr. doesn't have a Bachelors degree, so he wasn't eligible to get promoted to lieutenant, so the general order was changed (just for him) and then after he was promoted, the general order was changed back. :shock:

Dunklee Jr. doesn't have any college, so he wasn't eligible to get hired as a deputy, so the general order was changed (just for him) and now that he is hired, it will be interesting to see if the general order is changed back. :shock:We lowered our standards so Dunklee's kid could get hired because he only has a high school diploma and he was placed at the front of the hiring line and he was hired over a lot of other eligible candidates with college degrees... but... Dunklee's kid flunked out of the academy (http://www.leoaffairs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6929). It has something to do with a "test." It'll come out eventually. Dad is pissed!!!! :shock:

10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
When does the next academy class start and how many people is the SSO sponcering this time?

10-25-2006, 04:23 AM
why don't you call personnel at the s.o. like the rest of us did? this isn't human resources, here. oh, and get a spell-checker.

11-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Looking at our comparison to the bigger agencies. We actually are paying the same thing so deal with it folks. Its not just us that sucks in pay, its Florida in general. We have a good agency and if you want to apply go for it. When you look at other agencies you will see we have a really good reputation statewide. Good luck to you

I REALLY CANT COMPLAIN MUCH ABOUT THIS DEPT.. HOWEVER I AM LEAVING AND GOING TO A BIGGER AGENCY AND I CAN ASSURE YOU THE PAY IS MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE UNLIMITIED OFF DUTY DETAILS AVAILABLE. AND I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS THAT WORK THEIR THAT THE MORAL IS JUST AS HIGH IF NOT HIGHER THEN HERE.. SO ALTHOUGH I HAVE ENJOYED MY TIME HERE I WILL BE KICKING DOWN DOORS AND CHASING CARS FOR THE CITY OF TAMPA... YA'LL TAKE CARE AND BE SAFE.

12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Anyone who is choosing to come to work for the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is making the biggest mistake ever! There are better agencies that pay better, treat their employees better and take care of the people that are the backbone of their agency. Anyone choosing to try to come to work here with this administration is going to regret it! Wait until this Sheriff and his group of drunken mischievious swingers is out of here and reconsider at that point. This agency went downhill after Sheriff Monge and Terry Lewis left.

12-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Anyone who is choosing to come to work for the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is making the biggest mistake ever! There are better agencies that pay better, treat their employees better and take care of the people that are the backbone of their agency. Anyone choosing to try to come to work here with this administration is going to regret it! Wait until this Sheriff and his group of drunken mischievious swingers is out of here and reconsider at that point. This agency went downhill after Sheriff Monge and Terry Lewis left.
I totally disagree with you, although I don't care for Balkwill and I HATE starcrap (who doesn't???). We have a lot of potential here at the sso. I definately think that the county needs to be "rezoned" because we're now urban (west of I75). In the old days, we were rural, but those days are GONE!!!!

12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
I totally disagree with you, although I don't care for Balkwill and I HATE starcrap (who doesn't???). We have a lot of potential here at the sso. I definately think that the county needs to be "rezoned" because we're now urban (west of I75). In the old days, we were rural, but those days are GONE!!!!

We have potential, thats about all!! No leadership, No moral, No ethics.

02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I find it interesting that if you have been convicted of DUI within a certain time frame you can't apply at the SSO.....However look at the upper brass!

02-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I find it interesting that if you have been convicted of DUI within a certain time frame you can't apply at the SSO.....However look at the upper brass!
Of course not!!! Duh!!! Why would we want to hire drunks to be cops? :roll:

02-16-2007, 02:52 AM
does the sso give preference to fl certified leos with college?
or is the competition still very tough? And why does this board trash the sso so harshly i heard you all had a great department?!
Thanks in advance.

02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
does the sso give preference to fl certified leos with college?
or is the competition still very tough? And why does this board trash the sso so harshly i heard you all had a great department?!
Thanks in advance.
Yes, we give preference to Florida certified LEOs. And yes, we have a great department in a great county. 8)

02-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Most of us are happy here and don't have much to gripe about. Some people choose to log here every single evening and post a reply, usually negative, on every single thread. Look at the times and entries every evening. You will notice that big agencies like NYPD and RCMP do not use this site at all. Take that for what it's worth. The pay here is great and OT is almost endless. Apply and you won't regret it.

02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
this is a great place to work and i have no issues.

02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
this is a great place to work and i have no issues.
Me too. I would not want to be anywhere else! 8)

03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
This place sucks, and has gone down hill ever since BB took over.
Go anywhere else,
All you hve to do is look at the number of posts to see that this place has "issues"!!!!!

03-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Is SSO currently hiring certified law enforcement officers for the road deputy position? If so, how many openings are there? Thanks
what is the take home car policy?

03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
what is the take home car policy? After completing FTO, then you are eligible to get a take-home car.[/*:m:k9rcyy4r]
You must live in the county to take it home. If you live up to 4 miles outside the county, then you can also take it home, after you fill out some paperwork (a request) to do so. The paperwork has to be on file.[/*:m:k9rcyy4r]
You can use the car while off-duty, like going to the gym or shopping.[/*:m:k9rcyy4r]
Family members and friends are not allowed in your marked patrol car, unless it's an emergency.[/*:m:k9rcyy4r]
If you're off-duty in your car, you must provide assistance to citizens and to officers, when needed.[/*:m:k9rcyy4r]It's a great program. I love it!

04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
WE are sponsoring the Chief Deputy's son in the Academy for the second time, after he was caught cheating and was kicked out.

And a PSA that was going to go was told, "Sorry not this time!"

by the way the PSA had been here for years and hasn't cheat, lied, etc!

04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
WE are sponsoring the Chief Deputy's son in the Academy for the second time, after he was caught cheating and was kicked out.
You're kidding, right???

04-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Nope, Call the Secretary or Director and ask!

It all so very painfully true!

04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't come here to work this Admin is pure evil!

04-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Personally, I like Larry Dunklee. Sorry, but I can't help it. However, as a deputy, my opinion doesn't count (nor does yours). The only thing that counts is the voters and politics -- and I'm not sure how election politics work (and I'm not sure anybody really knows!!!).

04-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Personally, I like Larry Dunklee. Sorry, but I can't help it. However, as a deputy, my opinion doesn't count (nor does yours). The only thing that counts is the voters and politics -- and I'm not sure how election politics work (and I'm not sure anybody really knows!!!).

Sorry buddy, but your a kiss a$$. Take your politics ans shove them, Its people like you that make this place suck!

04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
seriously, we are going to hire #2's son again. wow. How, can you get fired and re-hired in the same year? I know were short on patrol but geezus on the cross help us.

04-26-2007, 06:51 PM
no way he is coming back thats bs when is he starting again and le or co

04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
He's coming on board as a captain to start. But with his top spin he'll be a major afer he gets out of fto.

05-16-2007, 10:56 PM
hey sso, does your agency issue firearms? if so what does patrol carry? i am from a large agency and we have to buy our own guns. thanks in advance.

05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
hey sso, does your agency issue firearms? if so what does patrol carry? i am from a large agency and we have to buy our own guns. thanks in advance.

Yes they issue everything here including firearms Sig 9mm and other long guns included also. Dont want to get into that stuff on an open forum though but we carry tasers and like I said ALL GEAR is issued ticket books, etc, paperless report system. We have our issues like everyone else but its a good agency.

07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
/// edited out by mod 418 /// You will top out in 12 yrs at approx $55,000. and then you will get no more raises, so while your bills will rise, your pay will not! Sarasota is one of the most expensive co's to live in and will only continue to become more expensive!

07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
/// The entire post was edited out by mod 418 because it is destructive towards the agency and does not help the agency in any way. The SSO is a fantastic agency to work at and we need more applicants. ///

07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
/// The entire post was edited out by mod 418 because it is destructive towards the agency and does not help the agency in any way. The SSO is a fantastic agency to work at and we need more applicants. ///

So much for free speach! Thanks mod 24, why don't you let other decide what is constructive/ destructive.

08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
why is mod 418 allowed to express their aopinion and we are not!!

08-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Mod 418 is acting as a censor instead of a moderator whose job is to assure the “rules” of the site are followed. His/her interjection of only pro comments about the present administration and not allowing any words that are critical and non-complementary about the office is an act that reeks of him being nothing more than a plant by the administration to maintain control of what is and what is not written on the page. Chip DeBlock, one of the co-founders of LEOAFFAIRS.COM would not condone the actions of Mod 418 if he is made of aware of what he is doing. DeBlock has a very personal experience in how cronyism, propaganda and out right lies and untruths can permanently ruin an officers career and reputation and the importance that the truth always to be in the open. He has first hand knowledge of the consequences of government officials muzzling and attempting to cover up issues that should be a matter of public record. Read about him on the main page of the site for the details of his experiences. If he is made aware that Mod 418 is using the site for his own and the agenda of the present administration to only allow post that are complementary of the administration, he would most certainly revoke Mod 418’s control of the page. Those who’ve had their post, censored, removed or deleted should send DeBlock a message and ask him to review what Mod 418 is doing and to take action to assure the creditability of the openness and integrity of LEOAFFAIRS.

08-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Mod 418 obviously never read the first sentence of the Mission Statement of LEOAFFAIRS.COM:

"LEOAFFAIRS.COM is a knowledge base of information for both law enforcement and corrections officers. We believe that information is not only a powerful thing, but can place you in control of a situation. "

08-22-2007, 01:53 AM
I KNOW HIM, HES A ****. WORK ANYPLACE BUT HERE.

08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
If you have a concern with your MOD then send a message to MOD 1 who is in charge of the moderators. He will address the issue and correct.

Mod 418
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Mod 418 does not express his opinion, but you are allowed to. Deleting posts or locking threads is a very touchy issue. Instead of deleting posts, it's best to try to edit them out (but not always). Deleting posts pisses posters off too much.

Feel free to lodge a complaint with Mod 1 because he's good back-up!!!! ;)

08-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I agree witht the moderator. The agency is a great place to work. Its unfortunante we have people who would scare an applicant into not coming here. I have worked for another Sheriff's Office in Florida and I can say this is a great place to work. Sure it has its bad and good just as all of them do but I can tell you from experience I do wish we got paid more but what cop doesnt. Good luck and you wont regret your decision.