PDA

View Full Version : Alumni Association Meeting Was Great!

04-28-2006, 05:52 AM
The HCSO Alumni Association had a great meeting Thursday night.

The HCSO Honor Guard opened the meeting with the presentation of the American Flag. Thank you Honor Guard for being there and establishing the appropriate atmosphere for the meeting. You looked sharp!

The meal was excellent, featuring chicken breasts over rice, tossed salad and apple pie with a variety of drinks.

Two informative presentations were made, one by Major Jim Previtera regarding retiree use of the pistol range and the other by a local attorney regarding Estate Planning with particular emphasis on Revokable Living Trusts.

Some "new" old faces were at this meeting, including Elliot Parsowith who came down from his retirement home "up north" (Georgia?) to be with us. He also won a door prize, an excellent framed nature photograph which had been donated by our own Official Photographer, Phil Puleo.

The only thing the meeting lacked was representation from that portion of the membership who are in DROP, but who are still on active duty.

This is a reminder that if you are in DROP you are eligible to attend these meetings. In addition, if you are a former employee, either sworn or civilian, you are also eligible to attend. It is not a requirement to have retired from HCSO, just to have worked there is sufficient for "associate" membership.

The meetings are an excellent opportunity to see old friends, make new friends and learn more about what kinds of activities you have to look forward to in your retirement years.

You will encounter small groups of people talking about their RV's, their motorcycles, their travels or their post-retirement employment.

I encourage retirees, and people in DROP to attend the meetings. There are no membership dues, although a one-time $10 contribution is encouraged. The food and drinks are free. The opportunity to socialize with people with common interests and backgrounds is priceless.

06-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Hey Carl,
I tried to respond earlier but the system glitches prevented it.

It was great meeting you at the alumni meeting, and seeing lots of the retired guys. Its really nice to be able to socialize with a super group of people and keep in touch.

A few days ago, Janet and I had dinner with Stan Amsler (and wife) and Bob Duffek (and son) in Hiawassee, GA. Of course we talked about some of our comical moments at the SO. After a dozen wings (each) and a beer or two, we even discussed how much fun it would be to have a monthly get-together somewhere up here in the N. GA, N. Carolina area. We have numerous deputies, active and retired who have homes up here. We have a monthly firefighter breakfast up here in Blairsville, made up mostly of retired FFs from Fla. Its a big hit. I'll post a message on another thread to see how it goes.

Many thanks to Phil Puleo for donating the neat photo I won as a door prize. Janet immediately claimed it for her reading room.

I hope to make at least a couple of the meetings every year, I'm getting used to the 9 hour ride.

Elliot
Retired HCSO 2000
Active Volunteer Firefighter/Search & Rescue Team Member
Union County Fire Rescue, Blairsville, GA

Carl Shawver
06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
That's a great idea Elliot.

There are probably more retired HCSO people than you realize in driving distance of Hiawassee for an occasional meeting. It is sometimes a little difficult to get people motivated at first to get together, but most find that they enjoy it once they try it.

In Tampa we have both the "official" quarterly meetings in the evening and "unofficial" breakfast meetings once a month. The breakfast meetings tend to be mostly former deputies, with a couple of wives in the room, while the quarterly meetings have a lot more of both sworn and civilian former employees and their spouses. Both kinds of meetings are a lot of fun.

I hope you have success in getting something going up there.

Carl

06-10-2006, 04:51 AM
The next retiree breakfast will be a Luptons 8 AM on the last Friday of June. the 30th.