PDA

View Full Version : North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet Feb. 26 5:30-7:30 pM

Unregistered
02-20-2018, 11:32 PM
North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet Feb. 26 5:30-7:30 pM
HERE IS YOURE CHANCE TO ASK ABOUT BODY CAMERAS,CAR CAMERAS,COURT CAMERAS,COP WATCH,COMMUNITY REVIEW BOARDS.STOPING THE WAR ON THE SHEEPLE,STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS,STOP THE POLICEING FOR PROFIT,GET RID OF THE DOGS THERE USEING TO ILLEGALLY MAUL PEOPLE .ETC ETC

North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet

By LAUREN COFFEY

STAFF WRITER

NORTH PORT — As Police Chief Kevin Vespia gets ready to retire in the next month, the city is preparing to fill his role.

The city will offer a meet and greet event for residents to speak with the four final police chief candidates for Vespia’s spot. The event will be held Monday, Feb. 26 between 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Commission Chambers at City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd.

“It’s something that’s done pretty frequently,” North Port Police spokesperson Josh Taylor said. “We are up for being vetted and seeing how they view community policing, their philosophy....everyone is different. It’s important how they approach it and it’s important for the public to see what it is and get their input.”

The meet-and-greet will be informal and allow residents to ask the potential new chief any questions.

“There will be an opportunity to interact, it wont be ‘here’s your opportunity to look through glass,’” Taylor said. “There will be potential to ask questions (through) mingling.”

The final candidate chosen will shadow Vespia during his last few weeks in the position. His last day will be March 31.

The four candidates are:

• Shawn Backer Work experience: Current Coral Springs deputy chief since 2014.

Was previously captain of community involvement in Coral Springs from 2012 to 2013. Has been in the industry since 2005, most recently as patrol lieutenant from 2010 to 2012 and held various investigative and patrol positions as sergeant from 2005 to 2010.

Education: Graduated with a master’s degree in criminal justice from Florida Atlantic University. Graduated from the 266th Session of the FBI National Academy.

• Michael Kopy Work experience: internal affairs staff inspector for New York State Police since 2013.

Been in the industry since 1986, most recently as a major of for Troop K Pough-keepsie from 2010 to 2013 and major of Troop NYC from 2007 to 2010.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Pace University Other: is a certified human resources counselor

• Gregory Purden

Work experience: operational services commander for Brevard County Sheriff’s Office since 2014.

Been in the industry since 2007, most recently as a commander of various bureaus from 2010 to 2014.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in general studies with major course work in criminal justice from Columbia College of Missouri, graduate of the 242nd Session of the FBI National Academy and the 39th Session of the Southern Police Institute Command Officers Develop-ment Course Other: Also served as a SWAT team commander

• George Turner

Work experience: Police chief in Brooksville, Fla., since 2007. Has been in the industry since 1976, most recently as a captain in Longboat Key from 2001 to 2007 and a captain in Ulster, N.Y. from 1990 to 2000 Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Empire State College and a graduate of the 193rd Session of the FBI National Academy

Email: lcoffey@sun-herald.com

BACKER

PURDEN

TURNER

KOPY

Unregistered
02-21-2018, 02:53 AM
North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet Feb. 26 5:30-7:30 pM
HERE IS YOURE CHANCE TO ASK ABOUT BODY CAMERAS,CAR CAMERAS,COURT CAMERAS,COP WATCH,COMMUNITY REVIEW BOARDS.STOPING THE WAR ON THE SHEEPLE,STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS,STOP THE POLICEING FOR PROFIT,GET RID OF THE DOGS THERE USEING TO ILLEGALLY MAUL PEOPLE .ETC ETC

North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet

By LAUREN COFFEY

STAFF WRITER

NORTH PORT — As Police Chief Kevin Vespia gets ready to retire in the next month, the city is preparing to fill his role.

The city will offer a meet and greet event for residents to speak with the four final police chief candidates for Vespia’s spot. The event will be held Monday, Feb. 26 between 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Commission Chambers at City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd.

“It’s something that’s done pretty frequently,” North Port Police spokesperson Josh Taylor said. “We are up for being vetted and seeing how they view community policing, their philosophy....everyone is different. It’s important how they approach it and it’s important for the public to see what it is and get their input.”

The meet-and-greet will be informal and allow residents to ask the potential new chief any questions.

“There will be an opportunity to interact, it wont be ‘here’s your opportunity to look through glass,’” Taylor said. “There will be potential to ask questions (through) mingling.”

The final candidate chosen will shadow Vespia during his last few weeks in the position. His last day will be March 31.

The four candidates are:

• Shawn Backer Work experience: Current Coral Springs deputy chief since 2014.

Was previously captain of community involvement in Coral Springs from 2012 to 2013. Has been in the industry since 2005, most recently as patrol lieutenant from 2010 to 2012 and held various investigative and patrol positions as sergeant from 2005 to 2010.

Education: Graduated with a master’s degree in criminal justice from Florida Atlantic University. Graduated from the 266th Session of the FBI National Academy.

• Michael Kopy Work experience: internal affairs staff inspector for New York State Police since 2013.

Been in the industry since 1986, most recently as a major of for Troop K Pough-keepsie from 2010 to 2013 and major of Troop NYC from 2007 to 2010.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Pace University Other: is a certified human resources counselor

• Gregory Purden

Work experience: operational services commander for Brevard County Sheriff’s Office since 2014.

Been in the industry since 2007, most recently as a commander of various bureaus from 2010 to 2014.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in general studies with major course work in criminal justice from Columbia College of Missouri, graduate of the 242nd Session of the FBI National Academy and the 39th Session of the Southern Police Institute Command Officers Develop-ment Course Other: Also served as a SWAT team commander

• George Turner

Work experience: Police chief in Brooksville, Fla., since 2007. Has been in the industry since 1976, most recently as a captain in Longboat Key from 2001 to 2007 and a captain in Ulster, N.Y. from 1990 to 2000 Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Empire State College and a graduate of the 193rd Session of the FBI National Academy

Email: lcoffey@sun-herald.com

BACKER

PURDEN

TURNER

KOPY out of all the candidates that were previously listed , this is what is left !!!!
Lets see if I got this right
Becker seems to have enough qualifications, has the command experience and experience as city cop.

Kopy-- He is a staff inspector, IA for NYSP after serving as various troop commander positions. If anyone knows anything about the NYSP, they are regiment orientated, brainwashed to believe they are the very best and yet they have a tremendous amount of serious internal incidents. They pride themselves of keeping things in house. They have a very great PR system that deflects questions of internal problems. City policing is a whole different world, its not running up and down the highway chasing speeders. Although an experienced IA chief would clean house, those who attain the rank of Captain, and inspector in the NYSP are headhunters and tend to distance themselves from the citizens they protect, and the officers they work with. Probably not a good choice. NY state laws are totally different than Fla laws, I don't believe he is Fla certified, He has zero Fla law enforcement experience.
Purden--on line degree, only been a deputy for ten years and is only a commander. Really does not have the command experience to turn this place around. Again as in Inspector Kopy case, zero city police experience, which is a whole different world than a deputy.

Turner, been in the business forty years, (21 to be a cop in NYS, so he's what at least 61yo or older) that's near retirement age, educated thru on line school in New York. Been a chief for 10 years. First, I think this would be the candidate they would pick if they wanted Morales in short time. He most likely is retirement age. He has the experience, but is he just putting in his time. Empire state college is a NYS sponsored on line college, reputable but easy. Our rocking chair candidate. Not what you would consider a modern day thinking progressive Police Chief.

First whoever put together this article was intentionally trying to mislead us. None the less, where did the really qualified candidates go???? Why were they eliminated? It certainly was not the pay and bennies. I think as citizens we need to know who exactly applied and why the ones not listed above are not being considered. Well we cannot even fill the open commander positions and now I suspect Lear has rigged the process. He wants a go along to get along candidate so sometime in the near future, Morales can become chief. Its not like the ever tell us the truth !!!!! I fail to believe this is the best they came up with on a nationwide search. This reeks of business as usual in NP !!!!!!!!!!!!
This is only my opinion, you can do the research and form your own but this does reek as being fixed and that he (Lear) has already eliminated the best choices to bring this department into this century.

Stephanie Gibson
02-21-2018, 03:18 AM
My understanding is that 4 of the original 6 found other positions or their agencies made counter offers to keep the men at their current dept.

I posted the actual Resumes of the Chief finalists on NPCC (https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Police%20Chief%20Resumes%2002202018.pdf?token=AWz-DehYYRYOqZ5UHFBlm-QNQfiNgMQKxGbo8tinaA1u8a1Q34R0hmJgNckeKhJVX-wfk2RwJjlqqMSu43SrwjbnhYrz__jYeEEU3wf7CbfR4VHGKG43 J0XyHVfXyaB2SZ8x_JFkfmWTWUUB3msHXyPbEnmyy0G81NvTVR YsJy6kKg)

Stephanie Gibson
02-21-2018, 03:47 AM
I like the idea of a Chief with broad professional experience. I loved his introduction and I especially liked the theme of his recommendation letters that spoke to honesty and integrity. Add to this he was appointd by Gov Scott to be a Commissioner on the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission so I suspect he is respected and knowledgeable.

That said, i can see other strengths in other candidates.. so lets vet and choose the best of the bunch. =)

Unregistered
02-21-2018, 04:14 AM
Turner is a serial applicant, he is not what we need, he is a Chief of a small podunk department that is being taken over by Citrus County. He is not even loyal to Brooksville just Google how many Cities he has applied to and they have not picked this Senior Citizen. For God's sake Bradenton didn't even pick him and that is saying something! We also don't need another backdoor Chief, who will protect our certain Captain!
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/brooksville-police-captain-under-investigation-after-fight-at-christmas/2158462 #METOO

We should really consider the NY State Inspector, he is an outsider who can change our culture!

Unregistered
02-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Turner is a serial applicant, he is not what we need, he is a Chief of a small podunk department that is being taken over by Citrus County. He is not even loyal to Brooksville just Google how many Cities he has applied to and they have not picked this Senior Citizen. For God's sake Bradenton didn't even pick him and that is saying something! We also don't need another backdoor Chief, who will protect our certain Captain!
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/brooksville-police-captain-under-investigation-after-fight-at-christmas/2158462 #METOO

We should really consider the NY State Inspector, he is an outsider who can change our culture!

the position of staff inspector in the NYSP is an appointed position from within the ranks, the position of inspector in the internal affair division is not a pristine job. I know several career troopers who retired rather than take that job, basically its a hit list job, sort of what is occurring now. You are appointed at the discretion of the governor and superintendent, sound familiar !!!!To boot this man is not now and has never been florida LEO, he is not familiar with our statutes and laws, he is not even Florida certified, this should have been a requirement. He would take months to be certified and I believe he can hold no authority until such time he goes to school and takes the test, which is not easy anymore. No, let him stay in NY. He is probably making near 200K in NY, plus a car plus outstanding bennies, why would he want to come here???. He is a paid hatchet man

Stephanie Gibson
02-22-2018, 07:21 AM
Sarasota Herald story on the 4 Chief Applicants

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180221/four-finalists-for-north-port-police-chief-job-to-meet-with-public-monday

Unregistered
02-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Taken over by Citrus County?? Where did you get this inside scoop? Some members of the Brooksville City Council have mentioned this, as have other cities throughout Florida over the years. Although being discussed, is not likely to happen in Brooksville. In fact, the last time it game up years ago, the citizens of the city actually recalled the city commissioners who suggested and were pushing for this. I seriously doubt the tax payers have had a change of heart. By all accounts, they like the quicker response times and more personal service than they would get with a green and white. I personally like a Chief who is going to step up when it appears as though one of his staff is being railroaded by over zealous deputies. Like he said, let the SAO decide if criminal charges are warranted and not just arrest on PC on a he said, she said minor altercation. I will support whoever the manager selects but I think George Turner is the best candidate to hire and allow him to then groom someone to take over when he is ready to retire. 61 is not old, it will be here before you know it ladies and gentlemen. An Inspector from the New York State Police IS NOT the answer.

Unregistered
02-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Taken over by Citrus County?? Where did you get this inside scoop? Some members of the Brooksville City Council have mentioned this, as have other cities throughout Florida over the years. Although being discussed, is not likely to happen in Brooksville. In fact, the last time it game up years ago, the citizens of the city actually recalled the city commissioners who suggested and were pushing for this. I seriously doubt the tax payers have had a change of heart. By all accounts, they like the quicker response times and more personal service than they would get with a green and white. I personally like a Chief who is going to step up when it appears as though one of his staff is being railroaded by over zealous deputies. Like he said, let the SAO decide if criminal charges are warranted and not just arrest on PC on a he said, she said minor altercation. I will support whoever the manager selects but I think George Turner is the best candidate to hire and allow him to then groom someone to take over when he is ready to retire. 61 is not old, it will be here before you know it ladies and gentlemen. An Inspector from the New York State Police IS NOT the answer.
That's nice that he stepped up over a minor infraction, but that certainly does not make him qualified to be chief of the NPPD. An interim chief would be a lame duck chief, this is what we do not need. I find it suspicious that in the fall we had all these excellent candidates and that the city manager did not follow thru with the process and instead stalled this process and now we are left with these four candidates. I suspect this was intentional on Lears part. Turner would be the best fit for Lear and Morales. But he would certainly NOT be the best fit for this department. If Turner is appointed this will be the back door approach to making Morales Chief. Does Lear think he can pull one over on us???? Turner can stay at Mayberry, NYSP internal affairs inspector can stay in NY he is not even qualified to apply. Our best bet for a actual real police chief is the coral gables asst chief, he seems to have the best qualifications of this applicant pool. We need a real police chief, one who is actually florida qualified who can come in here, hit the ground running and bring this dept back, Turner would be a lame duck, Morales would be more of the same lies and deceit we are experiencing now. Lets do the right thing here. Its been a long time coming and needs to be done right the first time.

Stephanie Gibson
02-22-2018, 03:33 PM
i think a Chief should go to the mat for their officers.. he didnt exonerate and try to sweep it under a rug. Gotta love that.

My top two are the NY inspector.and Turner but that is from a layman's perspective that is.seeking honor truth and integrity.. I would assume they all meet that standard at a minimum.. I think a hard nose no nonsense inspector has appeal.as well but again that is my outside "Law n Order" perspective of it.

I am leaning towards Turner between the two because he is familiar.with Florida laws and policies. Those who dismissing him because of his age should consider how well the last young inexperienced one worked out for us.

Mostly I pray for Lear to make a wise choice that serves the best interest.of the citizenry and the rank n file officers.

Unregistered
02-22-2018, 04:12 PM
What are the odds that we will have a police chief in place within 3 weeks so that he can shadow the idiot he'll take the place of? The city manager has delayed this process for so long that it is now crunch time and the closest thing we have is a meet and greet? It would be great to have a new chief here that would actually back his people instead of screwing us all and it would be a plus to have him shadow Mr. GED for 2 weeks with the hope that his intelligence would lead him to the same conclusion that we all have working here as to "what the hell have you done to these people". So take your time CM the clock is ticking....tic toc tic toc

Unregistered
02-22-2018, 05:26 PM
What we don't need is a twice over retiree looking for a third pension, time to retire already, seems like someone who is afraid of transitioning back into being a civilian, most of them are power tripping ego-maniacs, that agency picture depicts it to me.

Unregistered
02-23-2018, 05:34 PM
let really look at the candidates and there experience and potential to be a long term solution to our problems in the NPPD
Chief Turner openly admits he is a short term applicant. H/T reported he is currently in the drop which basically means sometime in the near future he is going to retire. Which means two things, we waste the time and money on him and a new process will begin and most certainly Morales will become our chief. His education is from an online NY state school. He has the credentials, but being a short timer as they say I am sure he will be more interested in training CM than tackleing our issues. I think he will be a lame duck chief
NYSP inspector Kopy, Not ever a Florida police officer. Not a certified Florida Police officer which means until such time he graduates from an accredited police academy and passes the test he will have no sworn law enforcement power. There is a transition type course but this still takes time and its on our dime. He has been a NYSP trooper his entire career, moved thru the ranks. Some of my friends are NYSP and none of them like him as a leader. His present position is an appointed one and they say he is a headhunter. Is this who we want to take us into the future. We have lost some 64 officers thru vespia, do we need to lose more.
The commander at Brevard. Not enough command experience.
The asst chief at coral gables, has the command experience, CGPD is one of the top agencies in the state, prides itself on community interaction and service. Dept is professional and in tune with todays society , He has the education and experience, especially that of a city cop. I believe he is the one to bring us into the future.
So do we move forward with a short term solution, a solution that has no fl experience or certifications or a deputy with no command experience or an experienced asst chief wanting to become a chief who has what we need. Lets see if lear makes the right decision.

Unregistered
02-23-2018, 06:24 PM
let really look at the candidates and there experience and potential to be a long term solution to our problems in the NPPD
Chief Turner openly admits he is a short term applicant. H/T reported he is currently in the drop which basically means sometime in the near future he is going to retire. Which means two things, we waste the time and money on him and a new process will begin and most certainly Morales will become our chief. His education is from an online NY state school. He has the credentials, but being a short timer as they say I am sure he will be more interested in training CM than tackleing our issues. I think he will be a lame duck chief
NYSP inspector Kopy, Not ever a Florida police officer. Not a certified Florida Police officer which means until such time he graduates from an accredited police academy and passes the test he will have no sworn law enforcement power. There is a transition type course but this still takes time and its on our dime. He has been a NYSP trooper his entire career, moved thru the ranks. Some of my friends are NYSP and none of them like him as a leader. His present position is an appointed one and they say he is a headhunter. Is this who we want to take us into the future. We have lost some 64 officers thru vespia, do we need to lose more.
The commander at Brevard. Not enough command experience.
The asst chief at coral gables, has the command experience, CGPD is one of the top agencies in the state, prides itself on community interaction and service. Dept is professional and in tune with todays society , He has the education and experience, especially that of a city cop. I believe he is the one to bring us into the future.
So do we move forward with a short term solution, a solution that has no fl experience or certifications or a deputy with no command experience or an experienced asst chief wanting to become a chief who has what we need. Lets see if lear makes the right decision.

Brooksville is actually in the 185 pension plan, 20 and out, , 4% multiplier, 6.5% DROP and only a 1% contributor so Turner will lose a ton if he leaves. Zero incentive in a pension with starting off off fresh in FRS.

Unregistered
02-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Brooksville Police Captain Cleared of Battery Chargeshttp://www.realnewsrealfast.com/article.php/brooksville-police-captain-cleared-of-battery-charges-19993

After a short, two day trial last week, a jury found Captain Rick Hankins not guilty of the misdemeanor battery charge.

Chief George Turner provided the following statement:

“I was made aware of the reported crime on the date of the incident, Dec 22, 2013. I had the opportunity to have a full review of all the witness statements and investigation, and it was my professional opinion that there was no crime committed; that at most, it was an affray between two adult men, which lasted 15 – 20 seconds, with no injury to either. Captain Hankins followed all department policies in this regard by reporting the incident in writing and providing witness statement to me at the earliest time.

I was surprised that it resulted in his arrest, and that it ultimately went to trial, but I am not surprised, that after only 20 minutes, the jury returned a verdict of not guilty.

With that said, the Brooksville Police has taken the high road during this incident, and continue to do so. We look forward to moving forward leaving this unfortunate incident behind us and continuing to provide quality law enforcement to the citizen and visitors of Brooksville."

Unregistered
02-23-2018, 11:23 PM
The Coral Springs DC has a Master's degree where Turner doesn't, he is young enough to be here a while, Turner was not appointed directly by the Governor, the Chiefs Association nominates a Chief and it takes a stroke of a pen, no Fame in that selection, also Longboat Key and Brooksville PD don't even total our Detective Division, no real experience or education in Turner. People like me are here for a while it would be nice to have a long term Chief!

Unregistered
02-24-2018, 04:22 AM
Brooksville is actually in the 185 pension plan, 20 and out, , 4% multiplier, 6.5% DROP and only a 1% contributor so Turner will lose a ton if he leaves. Zero incentive in a pension with starting off off fresh in FRS. so in stating this we must assume that if Chief Turner is hired here at NPPD he will be given special treatment and allowed to remain in the 185 pension plan. That's quite a benefit at the taxpayers of NP expense

Unregistered
02-24-2018, 10:41 AM
The Coral Springs DC has a Master's degree where Turner doesn't, he is young enough to be here a while, Turner was not appointed directly by the Governor, the Chiefs Association nominates a Chief and it takes a stroke of a pen, no Fame in that selection, also Longboat Key and Brooksville PD don't even total our Detective Division, no real experience or education in Turner. People like me are here for a while it would be nice to have a long term Chief!

We also had a former deputy chief (chuckle chuckle) that had a master's degree. He was nothing more than a puppet to Mr. GED and had no clue what he was doing and had no business being in the position he was promoted to from the rank of Sgt. He couldn't wipe his ass without being told how to do it from KV. Using him as an example, a Master's means nothing.

Unregistered
02-24-2018, 02:47 PM
so in stating this we must assume that if Chief Turner is hired here at NPPD he will be given special treatment and allowed to remain in the 185 pension plan. That's quite a benefit at the taxpayers of NP expense

No. Please read FSS 185. A City specific retirement plan. Can not be transferred to another City. Turner's 185 plan has no impact on NP. Would be treated as any other new employee, starting on day 1 as day 1 in FRS.

Unregistered
02-25-2018, 08:48 PM
No. Please read FSS 185. A City specific retirement plan. Can not be transferred to another City. Turner's 185 plan has no impact on NP. Would be treated as any other new employee, starting on day 1 as day 1 in FRS. so what's the incentive for him to come here short term???????

Unregistered
02-27-2018, 11:27 AM
COP WATCH INTERVIEWS FLORIDA POLICE CHIEF CANDIDATES,I ASK ABOUT COP WATCH,CAMERAS & DOGS https://youtu.be/flFhIPkzBPw

Unregistered
02-27-2018, 12:57 PM
so what's the incentive for him to come here short term???????

Better Pay but what the hell. He is a COP's COP so it will be great!!!!!

Unregistered
02-28-2018, 04:32 AM
Better Pay but what the hell. He is a COP's COP so it will be great!!!!!endorsed by Capt M and the good old boyz club. Better pay but what about his retirement, checks out early and he takes a hit, he openly states he plans to be a short term chief, so where is the benefit. Being in the profession, they are all a cops cop, well except for the NYSP inspector, so do we pick another dinosaur and just continue on or do we pick a real chief who is going to make our present dinosaurs extinct and bring this dept into the 21st century...Same old or something new,,, we will see howe Lear decided. So far his decision making abilities has been questionable to say the least......

Stephanie Gibson
02-28-2018, 06:45 AM
Turner was my choice coming in... with Kopy being a close second. However, after the meet n greet.. my opinion changed. I think Turner is the most likeable of the bunch. I bet he would be fun to kick back with. I raised the age concern that many of you lefted, he had a sound albeit spongey answer referring to average Chief tenures and he is there as long as City Hall wanted him to serve. Fair and adequat answer but I didnt feel the fire in him that I expected. He mentioned he was friends with vespia and that was concerning for me. I know it is probably unfair but it is what it is. i really liked others better.

Backer (aka Clark Kent) is a very sharp cookie. I like him very much. He seemed the most excited about the opportunity to raise his children in North Port. He proactively spoke to CIT Team training and the importance of investing in ongoing training. I would NOT be disappointed if he became our Chief but I think he would be an excellent Assistant Chief and be invaluable to the new Chief in redressing our weaknesses. They definitely compliment one another.

Kopy on the other hand was very thorough and clear on accountability. I am certain he is not one of the boyz. He seem knowledgeable and no nonsense. He has some very spcialized training and exposure to needs of larger populations. As North Port grows, we are going to need a Chief that plans and adpats to where we are headed. He just felt like the right fit for me.

I know they have many other hoops to jump through than just resumes and 3 minute chats with the public.

Pete has a veery tough decision.

Unregistered
02-28-2018, 12:58 PM
endorsed by Capt M and the good old boyz club. Better pay but what about his retirement, checks out early and he takes a hit, he openly states he plans to be a short term chief, so where is the benefit. Being in the profession, they are all a cops cop, well except for the NYSP inspector, so do we pick another dinosaur and just continue on or do we pick a real chief who is going to make our present dinosaurs extinct and bring this dept into the 21st century...Same old or something new,,, we will see howe Lear decided. So far his decision making abilities has been questionable to say the least......

I know Chief Turner I think you would really like him.

Unregistered
02-28-2018, 02:00 PM
the average" life" of a Chief ( and City Manager for that matter ) in Florida is 3 - 5 years. Turner won't be a short term chief.
I too personally know Chief Turner. Just give any of us a call at Brooksville PD. Talk with any Officer on duty. Get the facts. Ask " why would Chief Turner leave Brooksville ? " Research. The City of Brooksville is going broke. Currently in talks ( as recently as Feb 26 ) with Sheriff to take over police services. Chief Turner is fighting hard against that, but fact is, City is going broke due to mismanagement by City Leaders for years. We are ALL looking for new positions elsewhere.
Chief Turner truly cares about his Officers and his department. A progressive Chief. IF given the chance he'll do a great job for you all.

Unregistered
02-28-2018, 09:21 PM
the average" life" of a Chief ( and City Manager for that matter ) in Florida is 3 - 5 years. Turner won't be a short term chief.
I too personally know Chief Turner. Just give any of us a call at Brooksville PD. Talk with any Officer on duty. Get the facts. Ask " why would Chief Turner leave Brooksville ? " Research. The City of Brooksville is going broke. Currently in talks ( as recently as Feb 26 ) with Sheriff to take over police services. Chief Turner is fighting hard against that, but fact is, City is going broke due to mismanagement by City Leaders for years. We are ALL looking for new positions elsewhere.
Chief Turner truly cares about his Officers and his department. A progressive Chief. IF given the chance he'll do a great job for you all.
If you have read this forum you would realize this place is in a downward spiral, Turner has publically stated he is a short term chief as reported in a local newspaper. He is also quoted as saying he would be training his replacement, which would be a certain Captain who is a major factor in this downward spiral. He can be the best chief in the world, but short term and training his replacement is NOT what this dept needs. City is growing and leaps and bounds and we lost 24 officers just this year so we need a long term progressive chief who will support the rank and file, not the select certain few. We don't need a short term chief who will bring his department with him when he is hired. Sorry but the problems run too deep here and we need someone who can manage a large department and what transpires within the walls of the pink castle (PD).

Unregistered
02-28-2018, 11:25 PM
Turner will say one thing and do another to get ahead is what I hear from others who worked with him at LBK and BPD. Watch your back because he will stab you to satisfy the city manager.

Unregistered
03-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Turner will say one thing and do another to get ahead is what I hear from others who worked with him at LBK and BPD. Watch your back because he will stab you to satisfy the city manager.

That's BS!

Stephanie Gibson
03-01-2018, 07:13 PM
There are advantages of a Chief being here only 3 - 5 years. Namely, he doesnt have to.worry about long term tenure and kissing asses.. he can do what is needed. I hear the worry that in 3 years Chris would be heir apparent. if he gets his education and learns different ways from Chief Kharma. Maybe he will deserve a shot... if he lasts under new admin. I still.suspect that we will lose most if not all current Admin. If I were made Chief with full responsibility of turning it around, I want fresh eyes and untainted opinions around me.

I think no.matter where we land of the 4 candidates.. I didn't see any who.i wouldn't be happy with.

y'all are gonna miss me when.i get to move on and start putting my world back together =)

30 days and counting..

Unregistered
03-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Whoever you are you totally made that up on Turner, I have worked in patrol for him for 10 years and I have never seen a Chief that fights so hard for his people. Total crap you are spitting.

Unregistered
03-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Whoever you are you totally made that up on Turner, I have worked in patrol for him for 10 years and I have never seen a Chief that fights so hard for his people. Total crap you are spitting.

Don't know the man so I have no cops cop opinion, the main concern is his intentions of being a short termed chief. He stated this to a local reporter. This is not acceptable. Our problems are long term and will take a chief with the Ba!!$ to make the right choices. We have spent years under tyrannical reign and incompetent leadership. my question to you is this since your dept is being disbanded and replaced by the SO, how many of your people want to come here with your chief. I am sure this would present a whole new set of problems for us already here. you know favoritism, etc. I am sure the coral gables asst chief is well qualified and plans on being here for the long haul.
I ask, does Chief turner have his favorites, does he subscribe to the f&ck up move up promotional process, does he allow favoritism with the ranks. Does he have his golden boyz, How many female officers does his dept have and how are they treated. Like I previously stated we do not need a short termed chief who will be hired to train our already incompetent lying Captain so in two-three years we will be right back where we are today. We lost over 60 officers in the last five years and some 24 this year alone, incompetency runs rampant in our administration, Does Turner have the gonads to address these problems or is he just gonna fit in and ride out his time. Change is what we need, not more of the same.....

Unregistered
03-06-2018, 04:05 AM
This guy Turner is a politician with ties to the Governor, enough said, far from caring about the rank and file! We don't need a politician!

Stephanie Gibson
03-06-2018, 04:23 AM
According to Pete Emrich post on FB and a Sun article, Mr Lear has flushed the group as they didn't meet his standards. No idea as to what happened. So there goes those four...

26 days and no Chief in the wings. I sure hope he has someone in mind to hold the reins until he finds a replacement. None of the current three should be allowed near the reins.

Unregistered
03-06-2018, 04:44 AM
According to Pete Emrich post on FB and a Sun article, Mr Lear has flushed the group as they didn't meet his standards. No idea as to what happened. So there goes those four...

26 days and no Chief in the wings. I sure hope he has someone in mind to hold the reins until he finds a replacement. None of the current three should be allowed near the reins.
Well if true, here we go, will he or will he not retire ?????? Pelfraud is certainly not capable of leading this place and well moronales well we will see.
I believe Lear owes the public a detailed explanation as to why he flushed the nearly 20 grand search and why he drug his feet per se and allowing the most experienced candidates to look elsewhere, Standards is this man for real, none of the current admin meet any kind of standards and all of the last four were professionals, smells like a lewis era backdoor deal
Still think Vespia is going to stay, you need me, sorry Stephanie but I am staying !!!!!!!! As the plot thickins

Stephanie Gibson
03-06-2018, 05:20 PM
at the chief meet n greet, Lear was emphatic that vespia is gone on April 1. So he is not an option..

Pelfrey manufacturing documents after the fact is damn near criminal. I have two solid examples confirmed with record requests and intend to hold him accountable one way or the other..

Morales doesn't have the education and Pete has been very clear.. he will NOT be considered for.Chief role until he gets his education.

So that leaves the good LIEutenant Arsenault... well maybe he is the answer.. he knows the madness of the methods used.

Lord i hope the STARS have some candidates ready to.go...

Unregistered
03-06-2018, 07:55 PM
at the chief meet n greet, Lear was emphatic that vespia is gone on April 1. So he is not an option..

Pelfrey manufacturing documents after the fact is damn near criminal. I have two solid examples confirmed with record requests and intend to hold him accountable one way or the other..

Morales doesn't have the education and Pete has been very clear.. he will NOT be considered for.Chief role until he gets his education.

So that leaves the good LIEutenant Arsenault... well maybe he is the answer.. he knows the madness of the methods used.

Lord i hope the STARS have some candidates ready to.go...

Hmmmm...... I wonder if there's a backdoor deal with the County and may be they are preparing for green. Just a thought.
PS

Unregistered
03-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Very wise move in not selecting Turner he was just trying to use us for a third pension and somewhere to park for a few more years, he would have been way over his head here, Punta Gorda or Bradenton wisely thought the same thing. The Coral Springs DC would have been an excellent choice because he was young enough and educated without the baggage of the others! We are good for now...

Unregistered
03-06-2018, 10:33 PM
I know that a gentleman came in and spoke to some of the commission behind closed doors about why a certain candidate was a bad choice for the city. Politics as usual it seems.

Stephanie Gibson
03-07-2018, 02:51 AM
When the video for todays meeting posts, those interested in what is going on with the Chief recruitment should really listen to Mr Lear's Comment at meetings end. He has indicated that he is currently reviewing the internal executive staff to identify an interim Chief. When asked why they didnt meet his standard, Mr Lear would not disclose in a public forum but each Commissioner could meet with him individually to hear why. Uhmm well that is lovely of you Mr Lear to want to spare the public the details but considering it was taxpayers dollars and this is Florida.. You dont get to hold this information to yourself and a select few. He said that in addition to resumes and meet n greets, that each of the candidates met with a 'law enforcemnt panel' amd a "Director Panel', followed by a one on one interview with him. None of the candidates were a 'fit for North Port'. Lookin from within..? Here is a thought.. LOOK around the areA for a retired Chief. I know of two. I am sure there are many around. Surely to God we can put the reins in independent hands. PLacing the reins in any of the three current Admin is unthinkable.

Stephanie Gibson
03-07-2018, 04:16 AM
I know that a gentleman came in and spoke to some of the commission behind closed doors about why a certain candidate was a bad choice for the city. Politics as usual it seems.

Something aint right.. 1 or 2 might have some dark secret fall out of a closet.. but all 4? don't buy it.

Unregistered
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
I know this one may be hard for everyone to believe, but what if the CM master plan all along was to play through this circus of a search, deny hiring someone from within, put his person in place as interim and then say that he did such a good job that it is now a permanent position? Lest we forget how the outgoing disaster came into power?

Stephanie Gibson
03-07-2018, 04:24 PM
it sure smells fishy. this is the second group .. he drug ass so.long on the first batch that they found other places to be. well he is going to have a problem when he looks internally at the brass.. NONE of them can assume the reins period. If Lear makes that call considering the known problems.. he will.own it.

so Lear is left with reaching out to find a local retired LEO to step in for the interim. Hope he has someone in mond.. I know two ex chiefs he could ask or I am certain surrounding agencies could.provide a list.

Unregistered
03-08-2018, 02:24 AM
Don’t think this is what the city wants advertised:

https://www.injurylawsb.com/florida-gated-community-legionnaires/

Unregistered
03-08-2018, 03:14 PM
I was told the candidates didn't even get a prior notification that they were all " rejected ". They all had to read about it in the news. How unprofessional is Lear AND COMPANY.

Stephanie Gibson
03-08-2018, 08:26 PM
I sure hope you are wrong. I asked Commissioner McDowell to check on this. I can't believe they would learn such via newspaper. whether they are a fit or not for No Po, they each deserve the respect of communicating the decision directly to them.

It may be STARS responsibility and they didn't share before we did?

Unregistered
03-09-2018, 01:33 AM
I happen to know for a FACT the city manager released the information Monday afternoon. It was posted on the North Port Sun FB page Monday evening and reported by others on FB that same night for all to see. The FPCA was not notified till late Tuesday morning and notified the candidates who had already found out from the media.

How disgraceful!!!

Fact check that!!!!!!!

Unregistered
03-09-2018, 04:39 AM
I happen to know for a FACT the city manager released the information Monday afternoon. It was posted on the North Port Sun FB page Monday evening and reported by others on FB that same night for all to see. The FPCA was not notified till late Tuesday morning and notified the candidates who had already found out from the media.

How disgraceful!!!

Fact check that!!!!!!!
I think what we all are realizing here is Peter Lear is way in over his head. He has no experience running a city. He was only the finance director and then the asst city manager told him what to do. He has made one bad decision after another without any consequences. He blew 17 grand on the chief disaster and did not even have the common courtesy to notify the candidates personally, what does that say. This guy has zero clue. He is a political puppet being controlled by political factions within the county and city. The city manager position as written gives him dictator like powers, he has the final say and we have a majority of the commissioners who will not step in and second guess him. This whole police chief thing was to appease the public plain and simple, they know who they want whether we like it or not, this will be the same in the fire chief and other dept head hires. Politics as usual in North Port. We need to replace end of term linda with a solid peoples candidate, someone needs to run against do nothing Lukes, Debbie is solid but the other two just need to go, nothing will change until we change it.

Stephanie Gibson
03-10-2018, 06:14 AM
It ain't over til the fat lady sings..

Unregistered
03-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Is there any recourse that the citizens can take such as a law suit, based on the fact that he spent the almost $20,000 for the search and has yet to tell us why he did not choose any of the candidates? For most of you on here. I want to make it clear that the Commissioners can not get involved in the hiring or firing of the Chief. However we the citizens can bring forth a change in the charter that will allow them to have a say in the hiring and firing of the chief and staff members of the PD. I believe now is the time to bring that charter amendment to the City Commission. I personally want to change the city law that prevents the commissioners from having a say. If the commissioners have a say that means the people can vote based on how the commissioners feel about the chief.

Now having said that can we take legal action in any way? I am willing to step forward if needed. It is time to take away the control that one man has who is clearly waaaay in over his head.

-How do we change the charter?

Unregistered
03-10-2018, 06:45 PM
This appears to be an answer. It seems as though we need to start a petition (worded properly) that will allow the commission to have a clear control over the Police Chief and Fire Chief. If 10% of the registered voters sign said petition then we are on our way to change and more control by the voting public. Time to start a petition.

ARTICLE X - CHARTER AMENDMENTS
SECTION 10.01 - AMENDMENTS, HOW AUTHORIZED:
(a) - The City Commission shall, by ordinance, amend any part of the
Charter when such part is pre-empted by general or special laws or
when, as a result of annexation or de-annexation, the corporate
boundaries of the City change. Upon passage of subject ordinance, the
governing body shall have the amendment incorporated into the
Charter and file same with the Florida Department of State.
(b) - The City Commission may, by ordinance, and the electors of the
City may, by a petition signed by ten percent (10%) of the registered
voters, submit a proposed amendment to the Charter, or the Charter
Review Advisory Board may recommend a proposed amendment. The
governing body shall subject the proposed amendment(s) or petition(s)
to referendum at the next general election or at a special election called
for that purpose. Upon passage of the amendment by majority of the
electors voting in the referendum, the governing body, by ordinance,
shall have the amendment incorporated into the Charter and shall file
same with the Florida Department of State.
(c) - Amendments to the Charter shall be effective immediately after
approval by the electorate.
ARTICLE XI - ADMINISTRATION
SECTION 11.01 - GENERAL POLICY:

Unregistered
03-10-2018, 10:10 PM
This appears to be an answer. It seems as though we need to start a petition (worded properly) that will allow the commission to have a clear control over the Police Chief and Fire Chief. If 10% of the registered voters sign said petition then we are on our way to change and more control by the voting public. Time to start a petition.

We don't want that at all. Your nuts!

Unregistered
03-10-2018, 10:36 PM

Then we really won't get a qualified chief to come here if that was to happen. What chief would want to deal with five different personalities? THEY DON'T NEED TO. If the commission has a problem with the Fire Chief or Police Chief, then they deal with the CM. If they don't like how the CM handles it, then they deal with the CM. Its that simple. Super bad idea whoever thought of this.

Stephanie Gibson
03-10-2018, 11:05 PM
I understand the need to seperate day to day and poltical roles but we do need a check n balance. I like the idea of creating the role of Police Comissioner who reports to the Commission. This alleviates the CMs to focus on non-pubic safety issues. It also provides the CM the distance much needed for perspective.

The City also needs to define a process for citizens and staff to raise concerns

The City needs to be more forthright and transparent with the good the bad and ugly happenings.

Unregistered
03-11-2018, 04:59 PM
I understand the need to seperate day to day and poltical roles but we do need a check n balance. I like the idea of creating the role of Police Comissioner who reports to the Commission. This alleviates the CMs to focus on non-pubic safety issues. It also provides the CM the distance much needed for perspective.

The City also needs to define a process for citizens and staff to raise concerns

The City needs to be more forthright and transparent with the good the bad and ugly happenings.

I think any reasonable person can see peter Lear is way in over his head here. He is not now. nor has he ever been a leader. He is inexperienced and quite frankly does not have the qualifications to run this city, even more so now that he has no assistant city manager.
So it looks like the commissioners have three options in regards to public safety,
option 1 ride it out. let Lear do his thing and hope for the best and accept the blow back if he doesn't fulfill his responsibility.
Option two, a petition is created and the voters approve a change in the commissioners authority. This seems reasonable since the commission now defers a personal matters to CM, if approved they can no longer pass the buck and have to deal with it, like it or not.
Option 3 appoint a public safety commissioner/superintendent who will oversee the entire police and fire departments, taking that responsibility away from Mr Lear. This appointee would be responsible only to the commissioners and would be funded thru the departments budget and salary decreases for the administrative positions in said depts. When you have a chief making 135K and a patrolman making 45K there is quite the disparity there. This would stop the nonsense as long as a professional none politically connected person male or female is appointed. The commissioners need to make Lear accountable for the waste of the 17grand he spent on his bogus candidate search.
Its time NP moved forward and away from the 50's way of doing things. We are watching and waiting and elections are almost here.

Stephanie Gibson
03-11-2018, 06:10 PM
I am as frustrated with Lear's inaction as anyone.. but we made the decision with full understanding of Pete's qualifications. I think we have to give him opportunity to turn it around. Surely we can all agree he stepped into an utter mess created by Lewis failure to lead/supervise. He has faced crisis after crisis that are fallout from the prior Admin. I still believe he is a good guy and trying to fix it. Making a culture change is always painful and slow.

My biggest concern with Pete is that he is reticent to document and record serious investigations or being forthright is communicating his findings publically. If he can communicate a subject individually to Commissioners one on one behind closed door.. then he can communicate it tp the public. Whether we think we are reducing evidence or obscuring wrongdoings.. I don't know.. I will say that those of us that are paying attention see it happening repeatedly. It breeds mistrust and drives PRR requests up in volume. Transparency is key to accountability.. and it starts with Pete Lear.

Unregistered
03-11-2018, 08:00 PM
CM Lear evaluated the candidates and made the decision that was best for our city, so what if the "adult" candidates have hurt feelings, that's life. We have qualified internal candidates who are not collecting social security and don't have skeletons along with a past falsification that was brought to light. True vetting was conducted.

Unregistered
03-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Really?? On duty sex parties, K-9 mauling with lawsuits, wrongful terminations, (with and without lawsuits), double digit vacancies and NPPD needs an internal candidate? Wake up people!!!!

Stephanie Gibson
03-12-2018, 01:12 AM
CM Lear evaluated the candidates and made the decision that was best for our city, so what if the "adult" candidates have hurt feelings, that's life. We have qualified internal candidates who are not collecting social security and don't have skeletons along with a past falsification that was brought to light. True vetting was conducted.

Can you please name the 'qualified internal candidates" to which you refer?

Unregistered
03-12-2018, 02:11 AM

............Charles 😂

Unregistered
03-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Well I could have if chief Jimmy Jones hadn't purged half the department after sliding into his position. What is left are the kool aid kids.

Unregistered
03-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Well I could have if chief Jimmy Jones hadn't purged half the department after sliding into his position. What is left are the kool aid kids.

Internal candidate no way. First off I understand that kv lied about his credentials etc. However, to whomever is consistently using words such as short yellow bus, kool aid kids etc is really showing their level of education. Exactly what is a short bus? A bus that aides children that may have challenges that others may not have? I find it unacceptable that a person in a public service position thinks it is okay to put down children or adults that may not fit into their box. You my friend are not top of the line. You are not special. You are the very reason we have bullying in schools. Also bullying everyday in the department. Yes this is a little fishy I agree. It is time for people like steph and others not to let it go. Get off your hi horse. Just because you think you are so special that you rode in a long bus. Does not give you the right to judge others. I think may be you need some kool aide.

Unregistered
03-13-2018, 12:50 AM
This place is burning fast. There is no clear path here. The city still will not allow a step plan to fix the pay issues. They have made it clear that they do not care to fix the problems st the PD.

Unregistered
03-13-2018, 01:19 AM
how about hire new cops since the department is understaffed

Unregistered
03-13-2018, 01:39 AM

🤣😃😅😆. Ok that's worked so well over the past few years.

Unregistered
03-13-2018, 12:10 PM

I guess you're new here and don't know that the revolving exit/entrance door has more exit than entrance since the current administrator was appointed. Officers that graduated the academy class last year already have seniority over 8 people.

Unregistered
03-14-2018, 01:45 AM
Internal candidate no way. First off I understand that kv lied about his credentials etc. However, to whomever is consistently using words such as short yellow bus, kool aid kids etc is really showing their level of education. Exactly what is a short bus? A bus that aides children that may have challenges that others may not have? I find it unacceptable that a person in a public service position thinks it is okay to put down children or adults that may not fit into their box. You my friend are not top of the line. You are not special. You are the very reason we have bullying in schools. Also bullying everyday in the department. Yes this is a little fishy I agree. It is time for people like steph and others not to let it go. Get off your hi horse. Just because you think you are so special that you rode in a long bus. Does not give you the right to judge others. I think may be you need some kool aide.
I have not seen anywhere in any of these posts anyone putting down special needs children or adults, that is an assumption you made solely on your own. The references made to shorty bus (any color) was in reference to a certain person who was educated in a school separate from regular students at a time way before it was deemed special needs and that was his transport to school, no one else was mentioned, just him. How he was in these classes throughout his early ed days and quit school in the 10th grade and lied his way up to where he is now. No one is bullying here so get off your soap box. No one is judging anyone but the admin we specifically discuss, we judge by the evidence presented and it is overwhelming. He was a special ed student, he has a GED and he lied about multiple things. The kool aid statements are in ref to the rhetoric this certain person spews to get his certain loyalists to turn on each other and to get them to do his bidding. So before going off and making your assumptions you really should tune yourself in to what is actually transpiring daily in the NPPD. If you think this is bullying, then you live a sheltered life, get over it. ( love and affection) One question though, how much of the kool aid have you tasted ????????

Unregistered
03-14-2018, 05:15 PM
You act as if having a GED is a bad thing. Tell me how this is bad. Are you aware of how many successful people and leaders have a GED? I won't bore you with the list of amazingly successful people that have this type of diploma, but it certainly is nothing to be ashamed of. Can you find some real flaws in the Chief such as his performance and managerial style rather than trying to discredit him because of his GED, which by the way is a lot more common then you may think. Your argument lacks grit. Tell me why he is not a good leader, not why you think he has lied his way to the top. The real fact is, he is at the top with a GED and you are not. Your argument has no basis. He seems to have done well for himself for a person with a sorry little GED.

Unregistered
03-14-2018, 09:14 PM
You act as if having a GED is a bad thing. Tell me how this is bad. Are you aware of how many successful people and leaders have a GED? I won't bore you with the list of amazingly successful people that have this type of diploma, but it certainly is nothing to be ashamed of. Can you find some real flaws in the Chief such as his performance and managerial style rather than trying to discredit him because of his GED, which by the way is a lot more common then you may think. Your argument lacks grit. Tell me why he is not a good leader, not why you think he has lied his way to the top. The real fact is, he is at the top with a GED and you are not. Your argument has no basis. He seems to have done well for himself for a person with a sorry little GED.
You are way beyond help, now get this a GED!!! quit school in the 10th grade, you should really go back on your meds. Its called ethics., honesty and integrity, something that is so lacking in this administration, he lied, stating and I quote, working on my masters degree and we wont even touch the veteran claim. List of amazing successful persons with GED's really, would you like fries with that order !!!!. The posts speak for themselves, all true, all based upon facts. So as you glaze at the portrait of your idol and sip more of his kool aid, just remember in 17 days he will become the nobody he always was and quite possibly you may be right, he has managed to defer any criticism of him and hide his lies quite well over the years and to speak in regards to his management style what 25 officer quite or retired just this year alone most because of him, but some because they fear who is going to replace him. Wow I should have saved all that money and time and forgot about my degree, spew the Kool-Aid and I to could have been chief or is self respect and honesty and integrity and honor more important. I think it is. To be a LEO in todays world you need at least an associates degree, you are dealing in civil rights, statutes etc, most depts. require such, not us, Lawyers love dummies, no education, no degree no credibility. As quoted by our infamous leader with no education "it was only a nip" remember that. Now that's grit...

Unregistered
03-15-2018, 12:12 AM
You are way beyond help, now get this a GED!!! quit school in the 10th grade, you should really go back on your meds. Its called ethics., honesty and integrity, something that is so lacking in this administration, he lied, stating and I quote, working on my masters degree and we wont even touch the veteran claim. List of amazing successful persons with GED's really, would you like fries with that order !!!!. The posts speak for themselves, all true, all based upon facts. So as you glaze at the portrait of your idol and sip more of his kool aid, just remember in 17 days he will become the nobody he always was and quite possibly you may be right, he has managed to defer any criticism of him and hide his lies quite well over the years and to speak in regards to his management style what 25 officer quite or retired just this year alone most because of him, but some because they fear who is going to replace him. Wow I should have saved all that money and time and forgot about my degree, spew the Kool-Aid and I to could have been chief or is self respect and honesty and integrity and honor more important. I think it is. To be a LEO in todays world you need at least an associates degree, you are dealing in civil rights, statutes etc, most depts. require such, not us, Lawyers love dummies, no education, no degree no credibility. As quoted by our infamous leader with no education "it was only a nip" remember that. Now that's grit...

You should try spell check. Also should the reader ignore the grammatical errors in your poorly composed hogshit of a paragraph? At least I think that is what you were trying to compose. I hope you didn't pay too much for that degree. You actually proved my point. I am not defending the chief. I am merely arguing that just because a person has a GED does not make them less than a person who graduated from North Port High School. Each person has to be evaluated on the things that they have accomplished. There are many WWII veterans who became officers or war heroes who never made through high school at all. Would you be proud to belittle them in public? Did you know that the British SAS has a history of selecting drop outs over grads in selection? Fact look it up. Most are just tougher. What about Bill Cosby, Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox, Hiilary Swank, Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's), Nicolas Cage, Peter Jennings (you know nightly news)? The list goes on.
You are stating that because a person has a GED they are not qualified to do anything but ask people for fries? Not every child leads an affluent life like you did. I assume honor roll each report card for you? Some come from poor families and make mistakes as youngsters. Some work to help support single mothers. Some work to support themselves because their parents are turds. I feel that you know nothing of life except the utter perfect one in which you exist ( I wish I was there with you). Maybe he is a shitty leader but his GED has nothing to do with that. If anything dropping out and returning to get your GED is harder then you think. Do you think that if he graduated from North Port High School he would be a different person all together? Think about that for a minute. What academy did you go to? I could easily say that if you could not get hired by the SSO then you suck obviously because you took second or third best at NPPD. We all know everyone wants to work at the SSO. It is a prestigious place and don't even say you don't because your a dam liar. So in a sense you work at GED police department.

guest4
03-15-2018, 12:17 PM
You should try spell check. Also should the reader ignore the grammatical errors in your poorly composed hogshit of a paragraph? At least I think that is what you were trying to compose. I hope you didn't pay too much for that degree. You actually proved my point. I am not defending the chief. I am merely arguing that just because a person has a GED does not make them less than a person who graduated from North Port High School. Each person has to be evaluated on the things that they have accomplished. There are many WWII veterans who became officers or war heroes who never made through high school at all. Would you be proud to belittle them in public? Did you know that the British SAS has a history of selecting drop outs over grads in selection? Fact look it up. Most are just tougher. What about Bill Cosby, Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox, Hiilary Swank, Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's), Nicolas Cage, Peter Jennings (you know nightly news)? The list goes on.
You are stating that because a person has a GED they are not qualified to do anything but ask people for fries? Not every child leads an affluent life like you did. I assume honor roll each report card for you? Some come from poor families and make mistakes as youngsters. Some work to help support single mothers. Some work to support themselves because their parents are turds. I feel that you know nothing of life except the utter perfect one in which you exist ( I wish I was there with you). Maybe he is a shitty leader but his GED has nothing to do with that. If anything dropping out and returning to get your GED is harder then you think. Do you think that if he graduated from North Port High School he would be a different person all together? Think about that for a minute. What academy did you go to? I could easily say that if you could not get hired by the SSO then you suck obviously because you took second or third best at NPPD. We all know everyone wants to work at the SSO. It is a prestigious place and don't even say you don't because your a dam liar. So in a sense you work at GED police department.

I agree !!! throughout the subjects time for a change etc etc there is reference to a short bus ged etc. What this person ( I think it is the same person his/her writing has always had the same demeaning tones to it . Oh yes you have put down and demeaned special needs students. Every time you post kv rode the short bus etc etc you are judging those that you think you are better then. I am not defending kv either. He has lied about his education and many many more occurrences. Period he should go. What does a ged have to do with a short bus? That is why my friend I am hoping you are not in the leadership role. The last thing this city needs is someone as demeaning as you leading anyone. Or maybe your just a big mouth, judgmental patrol cop,not sure. Lord knows kv has had to hire people like you as no one else wants the job or the problems associated with it. The frie comment really showed your true colors. No one respects you or agrees with your assessments. Yes KV needs to go but not because he has a ged.
There are many great leaders and people that have accomplished enormous things with a ged. I will not waste my time going through the list with you. Look it up yourself. Oh I know you already know it all. So take your judgmental comments and save them for the garbage.

Stephanie Gibson
03-18-2018, 10:10 PM
LEO Panel
Chief Mattmuller, VPD
Colonel Thomas Rodgers, CCSO
Ed Brodsky, SAO

Director Panel
Charlina Lowrie, Finance Director
Chief Scott Titus, NPFR
Christine McDade, HR Director

Unregistered
03-19-2018, 05:35 PM
You are stating that because a person has a GED they are not qualified to do anything but ask people for fries? Not every child leads an affluent life like you did. I assume honor roll each report card for you? Some come from poor families and make mistakes as youngsters. Some work to help support single mothers. Some work to support themselves because their parents are turds. I feel that you know nothing of life except the utter perfect one in which you exist ( I wish I was there with you). Maybe he is a shitty leader but his GED has nothing to do with that. If anything dropping out and returning to get your GED is harder then you think. Do you think that if he graduated from North Port High School he would be a different person all together? Think about that for a minute. What academy did you go to? I could easily say that if you could not get hired by the SSO then you suck obviously because you took second or third best at NPPD. We all know everyone wants to work at the SSO. It is a prestigious place and don't even say you don't because your a dam liar. So in a sense you work at GED police department. Alas Chief Pelfraud rises from the buffet line. Same speech he gave at the academy. He missed his calling and should have been an English teacher well simply because he has never been a real LEO. I would certainly not limit a person who only has a GED to working at Mickey D's, they can also work at Jiffey Lube, read the real chiefs bio. You are so out of touch with reality, So I guess your position is a person with a GED should have the powers of a Police Officer and be able to arrest, detain and provide a person there due process. Let us not forget high liability situations where ones life is in the hands of this GED LEO. Oh yes reading and understanding the Florida statutes. Capt M graduated from NPHS so I guess you are correct on that assumption. I gradeated from da Sarasota Tech academy you know the one you got fired, oops, told to resign from. Some day things will change in the favor of the hard working educated officers of this dept, maybe but hey one can dream. Your references to the almighty green machine of the SCSO makes me laugh. You had it made there. You were paid from the school and the SCSO and did nothing all day long, except for your occasionally correcting of grammar errors and sentence structure. Then psyco Captain appears and you get the boot from the SCSO, again sorry forced to retire. Prestigious place, just go on over to the SCSO LEO page, makes NPPD look like Oz. Stay happy and stay on ur meds.

Unregistered
03-24-2018, 11:41 AM

I love it when people accuse others of incorrect grammar and spelling in a post with incorrect grammar themselves.

Stephanie Gibson
03-28-2018, 06:07 AM
I had heard from several that two of the four did not pass the background investigations. This not true or at least they have no records that would support that tale.

Mr Lear did share with C onni that one candidate was very inappropriate in the interview with him. So bad, that he gave him a 2 out of 4 on whether he would likely cause a lawsuit.

Kinda funny .. but then again, not, at the same time.

3 more days .. =)

Unregistered
03-28-2018, 06:42 PM
I had heard from several that two of the four did not pass the background investigations. This not true or at least they have no records that would support that tale.

Mr Lear did share with C onni that one candidate was very inappropriate in the interview with him. So bad, that he gave him a 2 out of 4 on whether he would likely cause a lawsuit.

Kinda funny .. but then again, not, at the same time.

3 more days .. =)

Stephanie, if you want to see how the city views the police come to the union negotiation meeting on Tuesday April 3rd at 10 am room 244 city hall. This is an open meeting and will be very important as to the future of our department.