PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine through Transparency and Accountability

Stephanie Gibson
01-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Going to use this thread to spread the sunshine... we used to have a press that was brave enough to flush the corrupt and in incompetent govtofficials. I appreciate any and all who will raise the flags here or otherwise, contribute to the hard facts and empirical data or offer ideas andsolutions with how to resolve the problems the department has. Our next Chief is going to need all of you.

Stephanie Gibson
01-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Source: City Record Request

Stephanie Gibson
01-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Source: City Records

Unregistered
01-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Very interesting

Stephanie Gibson
01-15-2017, 03:00 AM
One of the incidents that demonstrates the incompetency of the current chief was in the case of the ACO. When the former ACO was transitioning from the eliminated role to the Community service role, he was required to take a lie detector test. During this process, he self-disclosed two personal indiscretions he made several years earlier. The punishment for telling the truth, for self-disclosing, was 40 hours without pay and he was removed from the list to become a LEO.

So looking back, chief vespia was shown to be involved in the Stingray mess that included illegally intercepting ccell phone calls. It was later revealed in a email from SPD that NPPD was falsifying. He managed to skate for violating constitutional rights of the citizens of this City. Lying again, falsifying records, abusing his power.. yet NO discipline.

I dont know what is fair, or correct discipline in the PD world but when i compare the severity from one offender to the some of the other... it makes zero sense. It appears punitive, personal and unfair. It also bolsters many contributors claims that discipline is not equally applied under the current leadership.

Stephanie Gibson
01-15-2017, 11:13 PM
FEMALE LEOs - One of the concerns raised in this forum and in a coming lawsuit regarding the unequal treatment of women. It might be interesting to note that of the 73 complaints that made it to the IAs log.. 19 complaints or 26% were pointed at female LEOs. (It might be prudent to see the percentage split in the RMS system. Currently, the PD can not seem to provide a report including Officers names from the RMS system)

K9 ATROCITIES - While there are at least 4, possibly 6, K9 lawsuits, a full investigative report "Scarred from the HT and international exposure to the bloody practices of our K9 team, there have been ZERO IAs for the excessive use of force complaints. There was one complaint for the infamous "Come Get UR Bite" incident, where he was given a "Written Reprimand" This is important because he announced prior to arrival on scene his teams intention.. well they got their bite that day.. a 18 yo suicidl teenager. The City now owns those undisciplined actions.. See 2015 lawsuit filed that we taxpayers will get to pick up the tab for.

Excessive Force - While the K9 events reflect a glaring absence of leadership to identify and correct, other excessive force complaints were not taken seriously either. Of the 9 complaints clearly marked Excessive force only 2 of them made it to the IA level and exactly NONE were held accountable. One case was Exonerated and the other was Unfounded. Not even when the officers are caught on tape, breaking the arm and dislocating the elbow of a 50 some year old man who clearly was not resisting. However, the taxpayers of this City will foot THAT bill too .. See Lawsuit.

Unregistered
01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
FEMALE LEOs - One of the concerns raised in this forum and in a coming lawsuit regarding the unequal treatment of women. It might be interesting to note that of the 73 complaints that made it to the IAs log.. 19 complaints or 26% were pointed at female LEOs. (It might be prudent to see the percentage split in the RMS system. Currently, the PD can not seem to provide a report including Officers names from the RMS system)

K9 ATROCITIES - While there are at least 4, possibly 6, K9 lawsuits, a full investigative report "Scarred from the HT and international exposure to the bloody practices of our K9 team, there have been ZERO IAs for the excessive use of force complaints. There was one complaint for the infamous "Come Get UR Bite" incident, where he was given a "Written Reprimand" This is important because he announced prior to arrival on scene his teams intention.. well they got their bite that day.. a 18 yo suicidl teenager. The City now owns those undisciplined actions.. See 2015 lawsuit filed that we taxpayers will get to pick up the tab for.

Excessive Force - While the K9 events reflect a glaring absence of leadership to identify and correct, other excessive force complaints were not taken seriously either. Of the 9 complaints clearly marked Excessive force only 2 of them made it to the IA level and exactly NONE were held accountable. One case was Exonerated and the other was Unfounded. Not even when the officers are caught on tape, breaking the arm and dislocating the elbow of a 50 some year old man who clearly was not resisting. However, the taxpayers of this City will foot THAT bill too .. See Lawsuit.

I am not surprised. I guess the only thing to do is to keep exposing it. Social media is a powerful tool. The chief seems to use it while taking hours to pose etc. I am shocked that nothing happened to the absolute force caught on tape or am I ? the good old boys think they are untouchables. Please someone has to do something.

Stephanie Gibson
01-18-2017, 02:01 AM
How many times did the following officer make it to the 5 yr Disciplinary log?

Tased a 17 year old girl who had slit her wrist
Tased a cornered dog while doing a warrant service
Caught on Dashcam assaulting 50+ yo male who was simply looking for his cats

See Video for yourself: http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20160528/officer-subject-of-inquiry-legal-action

Excessive force complaint from 50+ yo woman in her front yard
Tased a mentally ill man three times
Promoted to K9 where he had 3 bites on his first 5 opportunities.

In spite of disturbing patterns that indicated need for some appropriate intervention of better training, discipline or redirection, this Chief allowed EVERY last one of this officers events to go without any discipline. Even worse, after multiple excessive force issues, he promoted him to the K9 team!

His failure to recognize and address the problem allowed for the behaviors to escalate and more citizens paid the price, like my family or Mr Mowery's or...maybe one of your family members is next? Clearly, ignoring and covering up the misdeeds is not improving this officers behaviors, it is not protecting and serving this community's best interest.

The latest example of the chiefs failure to do his job, is the full color posed picture of our offficers brandishing brass knuckles. A weapon who purpose is to inflict the most damage on the face they are directed too. Both of the officers subject to recent Excessive force complaints. Rather then snatching a painful knot in their tails.. the chief lets them skate again, this time with some private party horseshit excuse? It is ignorance or arrogance..? Maybe both. Either way, vespia is responsible and needs to be held accountable.

City Hall, it is Time for a Change...

Unregistered
01-18-2017, 02:27 AM
How many times did the following officer make it to the 5 yr Disciplinary log?

Tased a 17 year old girl who had slit her wrist
Tased a cornered dog while doing a warrant service
Caught on Dashcam assaulting 50+ yo male who was simply looking for his cats

See Video for yourself: http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20160528/officer-subject-of-inquiry-legal-action

Excessive force complaint from 50+ yo woman in her front yard
Tased a mentally ill man three times
Promoted to K9 where he had 3 bites on his first 5 opportunities.

In spite of disturbing patterns that indicated need for some appropriate intervention of better training, discipline or redirection, this Chief allowed EVERY last one of this officers events to go without any discipline. Even worse, after multiple excessive force issues, he promoted him to the K9 team!

His failure to recognize and address the problem allowed for the behaviors to escalate and more citizens paid the price, like my family or Mr Mowery's or...maybe one of your family members is next? Clearly, ignoring and covering up the misdeeds is not improving this officers behaviors, it is not protecting and serving this community's best interest.

The latest example of the chiefs failure to do his job, is the full color posed picture of our offficers brandishing brass knuckles. A weapon who purpose is to inflict the most damage on the face they are directed too. Both of the officers subject to recent Excessive force complaints. Rather then snatching a painful knot in their tails.. the chief lets them skate again, this time with some private party horseshit excuse? It is ignorance or arrogance..? Maybe both. Either way, vespia is responsible and needs to be held accountable.

City Hall, it is Time for a Change... correct and to the point, accountability starts at the top, commissioners you own this if you do nothing !!!!! It is never going away as long as this leadership is still in place at the NPPD.

Stephanie Gibson
01-21-2017, 05:55 AM

Hint: You can find the same stark difference in the Admin.

Unregistered
01-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Well yes that is so true. Also love this spin about federal money being spent on their little trip. What about the cost of ot to take the place of the chosen ones that took that special trip. Who pays for that? VC take your spin and spin it you know where

Unregistered
01-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Oh why oh why wasn't the story about the nppd being body guards or whatever shared at the start. Somethings fishy in nppd do not believe everything the spin takes you. All of a sudden when people question the spin is changed um we were not born yesterday. Transparency and accountability should be shared at the start ? Hum

Unregistered
01-23-2017, 09:20 PM

the post on the NPCC page and pictures of the 13 officers who went to the inauguration, VC stated city being reimbursed by federal money ie taxes, this post has the city being reimbursed by the metropolitan police dept (DC Police, who by the way are broke) Spin Spin Spin are you dizzy yet ????

Stephanie Gibson
01-23-2017, 10:56 PM
My post was to point out that we had zero female LEOs go to DC and that there is also a noticeable absence of women in NPPDs Admin.

I think it is cool we got to support a national event but I am pretty sappy about that kind of patriotic duties. I was less worried about the dollars to pay for such and more worried for Continuity issues Had something tragic happened to the plane or in a protest and we lost that many officers.. what would the impact have been on protecting and serving the City of North Port in the aftermath of such a tragedy? In the public sector, they often will not allow peers to fly together in order to ensure continuity. Not sure if NPPD does similarly or not. If not they should consider how to mitigate the risks for these type of events in the future.

Additonally, when they presented the Inauguration MOU with DC Metro to the Commission/public, they were unable to share the details of MOU for Police Security. When I did a record requests to see who was selected to go, I was provided the MOU reference (DC Metro requirement that they did not disclose) and the related state sunshine exemption. I accepted such... but then they posted this picture which is does not appear to be in line with the MOU requirements or they were blowing smoke up my backside because they didnt want to tell me who was going. It is very perplexing, if they couldnt disclose with me the names of was going to attend but then turn around and release the photo that discloses what they claimed they could not be disclosed. thus telling everyone.. what am i suppoed to think?

Stephanie Gibson
01-23-2017, 11:15 PM
My original post several days ago got diverted to the Moderator and must have slipped past him. (I think it may have been my fault as I did a straight cut and paste and i think the links causes a Mod review) At any rate for full disclosure, here is what I received.

Unregistered
01-24-2017, 08:49 AM
My post was to point out that we had zero female LEOs go to DC and that there is also a noticeable absence of women in NPPDs Admin.

I think it is cool we got to support a national event but I am pretty sappy about that kind of patriotic duties. I was less worried about the dollars to pay for such and more worried for Continuity issues Had something tragic happened to the plane or in a protest and we lost that many officers.. what would the impact have been on protecting and serving the City of North Port in the aftermath of such a tragedy? In the public sector, they often will not allow peers to fly together in order to ensure continuity. Not sure if NPPD does similarly or not. If not they should consider how to mitigate the risks for these type of events in the future.

Additonally, when they presented the Inauguration MOU with DC Metro to the Commission/public, they were unable to share the details of MOU for Police Security. When I did a record requests to see who was selected to go, I was provided the MOU reference (DC Metro requirement that they did not disclose) and the related state sunshine exemption. I accepted such... but then they posted this picture which is does not appear to be in line with the MOU requirements or they were blowing smoke up my backside because they didnt want to tell me who was going. It is very perplexing, if they couldnt disclose with me the names of was going to attend but then turn around and release the photo that discloses what they claimed they could not be disclosed. thus telling everyone.. what am i suppoed to think?

That post would have been at the direction of one of the bosses. Ask who gave permission to post it. As far as the poster who thinks that this trip is not being paid for by the metro pd, you should do more research. The federal government pays for all of the security for this event. The money is funneled through the DC police dept. There were over 3000 outside officers requested for this event. The only spin is that which you put on it.

Unregistered
01-24-2017, 10:52 AM
That post would have been at the direction of one of the bosses. Ask who gave permission to post it. As far as the poster who thinks that this trip is not being paid for by the metro pd, you should do more research. The federal government pays for all of the security for this event. The money is funneled through the DC police dept. There were over 3000 outside officers requested for this event. The only spin is that which you put on it.

hum spin like a maytag dryer

Unregistered
01-24-2017, 10:59 AM
a bunch of white shaved headed men is what I see. Fits the trump model

Stephanie Gibson
01-24-2017, 06:14 PM

The original picture was not posted by NPPD but a citizen. I think later it was also shared by Commissioner Carusone and others but the original posting source was other than NPPD.

Unregistered
01-24-2017, 08:33 PM
That post would have been at the direction of one of the bosses. Ask who gave permission to post it. As far as the poster who thinks that this trip is not being paid for by the metro pd, you should do more research. The federal government pays for all of the security for this event. The money is funneled through the DC police dept. There were over 3000 outside officers requested for this event. The only spin is that which you put on it. and the check is in the mail, did they also cover the manpower shortage in NP because we had to send 13 officers to stand in the road in DC. Who covered all the incidental expenses, who covered the overtime while they were in DC. The spin continues. There were what 28 thousand officers and military there.

Stephanie Gibson
01-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Link below is to the IA file on my onedrive. Two other tabs of interest are the SOPs set and the 5 Yr Diciplinary History. You are welcome to read the IA file there. It is read only but you should be able to save off anything that is useful to you. Otherwise, send an email to Patsy and ask for a copy of cd set, they can only charge you the price of cds..

We need a Public Safety Executive and a Civilian Review Board that can drive the conversations that need to be addressed. eAsk the hard questions and be in a positionto push back when the spin begins..the CRB brings transparency to the public. I will be the first to volunteer to serve on board but we need an professional, experienced proven Public Service Executive to start recognizing and addressing the problems, Lewis clearly is complicit or incometent to make the needed change happen. .

https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx?resid=914E5436E3EBCC49!3635&app=OneNote&authkey=!AHqGED5V905YDQc

From NPPD 701.01 SOP

ex·on·er·a·tion
[iɡˌzänəˈrāSH(ə)n]

NOUN
the action of officially absolving someone from blame; vindication:
"the defendants' eventual exoneration"
the release of someone from a duty or obligation

My follow up questions
1. Why are there only three 3 witness statements? (Two under investigation and the groomsman that posted ir=t)

2. What other NPPD officers were part of the wedding party and how many weror present as guests?

3. Where can i find the private party exoneration clause?

Stephanie Gibson
01-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Link below is to the IA file on my onedrive. Two other tabs of interest are the SOPs set and the 5 Yr Diciplinary History. You are welcome to read the IA file there. It is read only but you should be able to save off anything that is useful to you. Otherwise, send an email to Patsy and ask for a copy of cd set, they can only charge you the price of cds..

We need a Public Safety Executive and a Civilian Review Board that can drive the conversations that need to be addressed. eAsk the hard questions and be in a positionto push back when the spin begins..the CRB brings transparency to the public. I will be the first to volunteer to serve on board but we need an professional, experienced proven Public Service Executive to start recognizing and addressing the problems, Lewis clearly is complicit or incometent to make the needed change happen. .

https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx?resid=914E5436E3EBCC49!3635&app=OneNote&authkey=!AHqGED5V905YDQc

From NPPD 701.01 SOP

ex·on·er·a·tion
[iɡˌzänəˈrāSH(ə)n]

NOUN
the action of officially absolving someone from blame; vindication:
"the defendants' eventual exoneration"
the release of someone from a duty or obligation

My follow up questions
1. Why are there only three 3 witness statements? (Two under investigation and the groomsman that posted ir=t)

2. What other NPPD officers were part of the wedding party and how many weror present as guests?

3. Where can i find the private party exoneration clause?

Unregistered
01-29-2017, 01:19 AM
Very interesting. I am sure that accountability has been skipped a few times.

Stephanie Gibson
02-27-2017, 06:27 AM
To those who try to claim the volume of record requests is bogging down the City Staff.. The overwhelming volume was a fairytale when used as justification to further restrict the Citys Public Record policy during the last Commission, it reamins a fairytale today.

Stephanie Gibson
03-02-2017, 02:25 AM
Received the Fleet file and think I picked out all the female names. 4 of the 9 women I found in the list are driving SUVs. Subsequent record request submitted for date they were assigned.

2 Magnums
3 Interceptors
1 Crown Vic
1 Taurus
1 Impala
1 Equinox

Unregistered
03-02-2017, 03:11 AM
Received the Fleet file and think I picked out all the female names. 4 of the 9 women I found in the list are driving SUVs. Subsequent record request submitted for date they were assigned.

2 Magnums
3 Interceptors
1 Crown Vic
1 Taurus
1 Impala
1 Equinox

Steph I am confused by this statement could you share whatever file you are referring to? where did you find the 4 and why the list of cars above

Stephanie Gibson
03-02-2017, 04:23 AM
Originally, there was a statement made that women were not being assigned the SUVs. I have been trying to separate fact from fiction on the subject. We enquired, there was a stall, delay and no records. Eventually, i received a manipulated excel where all vehicle makes and models were redacted.. no first names so I could discern male from female. They willfully tried to frustrate and keep the information from me so I pressed back and got another xls file back with all the information except date assigned.. The filename implies that these were the assignments as of 8-15-2016 but who knows... cause there is tracking of the assignment date. What i still need to find out is when were the vehicles assigned? Waiting for that response.

The information received this week seems to indicate women DO have SUVs assigned.... So why wouldnt they simply say so..? Makes zero sense.

These are vehicle assignments that i foound assigned to female officers in the latest file provided.

Anyone who wants a copy of the file can send an email to CityWatchNorthPortFl@outlook.com. I will forward you the full file.

Stephanie Gibson
03-02-2017, 04:34 AM
Steph I am confused by this statement could you share whatever file you are referring to? where did you find the 4 and why the list of cars above

The list of cars above represent the vehicles reported as being assigned to our female officers. I am considering Interceptors and the Equinox as being SUVS. If true, this would seem to dispel that the statements made that women are not assigned SUVs. One caveat and follow up request to find out WHEN the vehicles were assigned to these women.

Send an email to CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com and i will forward a copy of the file to you. It is too large to post whole. I posted a snapshot but it went to the Admin for approval.. my last diverted post never made it to the forum.

Unregistered
03-05-2017, 10:47 AM
The list of cars above represent the vehicles reported as being assigned to our female officers. I am considering Interceptors and the Equinox as being SUVS. If true, this would seem to dispel that the statements made that women are not assigned SUVs. One caveat and follow up request to find out WHEN the vehicles were assigned to these women.

Send an email to CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com and i will forward a copy of the file to you. It is too large to post whole. I posted a snapshot but it went to the Admin for approval.. my last diverted post never made it to the forum.

The ford interceptor is available as either a sedan or suv. The Chevy Equinox appears to be a compact SUV...not the Tahoe "big boy" SUV. Haven't had a chance to research their safety ratings.

Unregistered
03-07-2017, 08:50 AM
OMG this is such a childish thread. Cars are being replaced by need. We went soooooongoing without new cars, almost 7 years, thanks to our great city lack of leadership, that cars were dying daily. The group being replaced now are the ones that began the replacement in 2013 or 2014. The Crown Victorias should all be gone this year and the taurus' should be pool cars. All cars on the road will be Ford Explorers. The Tahoe have not been available for a couple of years now. To try and make this a sexist thing is silly, what it really is stemmed from the city not meeting their obligations. If you find that not enough women have SUV's, don't worry, they all will have them soon enough.

Unregistered
03-09-2017, 01:14 AM
OMG this is such a childish thread. Cars are being replaced by need. We went soooooongoing without new cars, almost 7 years, thanks to our great city lack of leadership, that cars were dying daily. The group being replaced now are the ones that began the replacement in 2013 or 2014. The Crown Victorias should all be gone this year and the taurus' should be pool cars. All cars on the road will be Ford Explorers. The Tahoe have not been available for a couple of years now. To try and make this a sexist thing is silly, what it really is stemmed from the city not meeting their obligations. If you find that not enough women have SUV's, don't worry, they all will have them soon enough.

Don't worry, my pretties....your turn will come....please. Your statement alone is sexist. "soon enough"??? I know that there are few women on the force but to explain it away that they will get the Explorers "soon enough" is just the sexist way of disgarding females. Nice work, Whoever the F you are....citizen, BS, CM, CV, SU.....hope y'all are proud.

Unregistered
03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Don't worry, my pretties....your turn will come....please. Your statement alone is sexist. "soon enough"??? I know that there are few women on the force but to explain it away that they will get the Explorers "soon enough" is just the sexist way of disgarding females. Nice work, Whoever the F you are....citizen, BS, CM, CV, SU.....hope y'all are proud.

Someone get this kid a babysitter and keep it away from all electronic devices.

Stephanie Gibson
03-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Still waiting for those vehicle assignment dates. It has been one week.

Stephanie Gibson
03-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Lets dont play coy, there have been too many sexual misconduct complaints coming out of this department over the years that speak to the core concern here. Women have their place... on their knees, atop a cruiser or kept in the rank n file and apparently 'soon enough' get assigned a SUV? So yeah, it isnt childish. It is worthy of real investigation, cause from the outside looking in, it aint looking so good.

So how bout you release the assigned to dates and we can put in to rest Sir.

Unregistered
03-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Lets dont play coy, there have been too many sexual misconduct complaints coming out of this department over the years that speak to the core concern here. Women have their place... on their knees, atop a cruiser or kept in the rank n file and apparently 'soon enough' get assigned a SUV? So yeah, it isnt childish. It is worthy of real investigation, cause from the outside looking in, it aint looking so good.

So how bout you release the assigned to dates and we can put in to rest Sir.

You are correct, it is not worthy of an investigation. There is nothing that I know of that says a vehicle assignment is worthy of a sexism complaint. You cannot try and play this to the public as sexist. The point here is, we are all finally driving a car that is not a piece of shit, SUV or not. It is about poor city funding under Lewis over the years and a commission unwilling to fund the agency properly. What you probable don't know is this, in 2014 thru 2015, we were in dangerous areas when it came to our cars. They were unreliable, died entourage to calls or just sitting idle. The fleet was neglected and that has finally been addressed. It did take way too long to fix it, but finally we are going to have all cars replace by the end of 2018 with a reliable fleet of pool cars, the current ford Taurus' that some men and women have.