PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Replacement Vehicles

Stephanie Gibson
10-19-2016, 02:02 AM
So the link below is a PD issue coming up in the next Commission meeting. 22 new vehicles for nearly $700K. All are either an SUV of some version or a pick up truck. I get needing an SUV for K-9 and other special units but are we really going to put everyone in a SUV? Is this really necessary?

https://cityofnorthport.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=408&ID=2860670&GUID=8D8B0B06-196C-4B94-8F4E-507B22EB3145&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)

Unregistered
10-19-2016, 07:54 PM
So the link below is a PD issue coming up in the next Commission meeting. 22 new vehicles for nearly $700K. All are either an SUV of some version or a pick up truck. I get needing an SUV for K-9 and other special units but are we really going to put everyone in a SUV? Is this really necessary?

https://cityofnorthport.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=408&ID=2860670&GUID=8D8B0B06-196C-4B94-8F4E-507B22EB3145&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)

Less back injuries, nearly same cost as cars, rear wheel drive, better resale value...

Unregistered
10-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Less back injuries, nearly same cost as cars, rear wheel drive, better resale value... unfortunately the SUV's are the only full size police package vehicle available. I see someone smartened up and got away from the expensive tahoes . The cars are almost obsolete, no leg room, no room for equipment etc. The SUV's have a better auction value 12-15K when not beat into the ground, the cars 4-6 grand maybe, taxicabs. Better investment for the money. Have to remember, our car is our office 12 hours a day, 2007 Crown vics are nearly ten yrs old and unsafe, with everything we need to carry these days it makes sense to make the investment

Unregistered
10-19-2016, 08:56 PM
No 4X4 capability. Terrible MPG. Horrible when used in any EVO situation. Top heavy and very susceptible to rollover in high speed turning.
We do not haul around half a ton of equipment in any shape or form.

It is nothing but a status symbol for visual effect to impress the masses.

Unregistered
10-20-2016, 12:08 AM

What would you suggest then?

Unregistered
10-20-2016, 03:06 AM
What would you suggest then? Ford Tauris, too small, terrible car, chevy has impala, similar to Tauris and the caprice pursuit which is there full size model. As stated before when at auction or trade the suv brings better money. SUV are basically unsafe, but you know what you have and your limitations in them, so hig spped chases are a thing of the past anyway. SUV better bang for the taxpayer buck

Unregistered
10-20-2016, 12:56 PM
No 4X4 capability. Terrible MPG. Horrible when used in any EVO situation. Top heavy and very susceptible to rollover in high speed turning.
We do not haul around half a ton of equipment in any shape or form.

It is nothing but a status symbol for visual effect to impress the masses.

It's obvious that you are not a police officer and just here to *****. Every one of us carries enough assigned and otherwise equipment that make these SUV's essential for our daily tasks. The Explorers are also all wheel drive police interceptors and more stable for use in the Eastern part of the city where off road use is prevalent.

Unregistered
10-20-2016, 08:04 PM
It's obvious that you are not a police officer and just here to *****. Every one of us carries enough assigned and otherwise equipment that make these SUV's essential for our daily tasks. The Explorers are also all wheel drive police interceptors and more stable for use in the Eastern part of the city where off road use is prevalent.
Please list the equipment that is required to have these large vehicles in over all use for the departmemt.

North and east of Atwater is the only part of the city that has any need for off the road use. Last survey has shit off of price and next to nothing north of 75 in that area.
So the entire NPPD fleet should be equipped with vehicles that address the lowest populated section of the city?

Unregistered
10-20-2016, 08:46 PM
This is silly. Why does every officer need a take home car. If you want the expensive bigger SUVs then let's share cars and cut the bill in half. Now I know what you are going to say that there is more wear and tear bla bla. This is North Port how many mile actually get put on a police car per year in an average patrol zone?

Unregistered
10-21-2016, 12:24 PM
This is silly. Why does every officer need a take home car. If you want the expensive bigger SUVs then let's share cars and cut the bill in half. Now I know what you are going to say that there is more wear and tear bla bla. This is North Port how many mile actually get put on a police car per year in an average patrol zone?
Well actually the issue is why are officers both patrol and command being allowed to take there city cars home when they live outside the city. I do realize it was a grandfather agreement but with the cost of cars, gas, maintenance etc this seems a poor use of city monies and equipment. The purpose of the take home car is to first be able to respond if needed and a police car in the neighborhood is supposed to thwart crime and make the citizens feel safe. Off duty cars in Sarasota, Venice, port charlotte etc is a total waste of NP taxpayer dollars. Any officer who was hired after 2011/12 and lives out of town has no take home car, anybody hired before the cut off date can take there car home if they live out of town. Fiscal irresponsibility. Any officer who lives in the city is allowed a take home car, which they use to go to the gym, walmarts, pool supply places, they have been seen all over. Let us look at the chief's street, his unmarked, his wife's marked Sarasota Tahoe, a sheriffs Tahoe and two north port Tahoe's, all in a half city block. now that's protection

Unregistered
10-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Please list the equipment that is required to have these large vehicles in over all use for the departmemt.

North and east of Atwater is the only part of the city that has any need for off the road use. Last survey has shit off of price and next to nothing north of 75 in that area.
So the entire NPPD fleet should be equipped with vehicles that address the lowest populated section of the city?

You're just not worth the time. Like I said you're not a cop and I could list everything we carry, but you would respond with an answer like "so get a small trailer and buy smart cars to pull it".

Unregistered
10-21-2016, 05:19 PM
You're just not worth the time. Like I said you're not a cop and I could list everything we carry, but you would respond with an answer like "so get a small trailer and buy smart cars to pull it". What about the facts in the last paragraph? How conveniently you ignored that part.
Sorry if I'm wasting your time parking your unit off the road in the woods at T#tty Lake. Now go back to sleep.