PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Department with my History

Gibson
02-04-2016, 08:27 PM
First, I do expect some people to have bad stuff to say. I understand it. it's ok. no ill feelings.

I made the decision a few years ago that I wanted to be an LEO. I had already made drastic changes to my life, but decided from there on out I would try and take my goals into consideration with every action I took.

for my history. I don't like talking about it and rarely tell people. but I can't find a solution or get help with my problem without giving out the proper information. so here it goes.

senior year in high school (or there about) I got in with the wrong people, stayed that way for a few months out of high school. looking back it was probably only 1-2 years of my life. but it seemed much longer than that. I smoked Marijuana a lot, drank a lot, partied a lot. I was 18 or 19 when I got away from it. moved away and stopped hanging out with those friends. i have only smoked once since then, about 6 years ago (which would be about a year or so after I left it behind). during that time, before I got away from it, me and my roommate had a "bright idea" that we would purchase a quarter pound of Marijuana and sell it off to friends and whoever, with the idea that we would make our money back and smoke the rest without it costing us any money in the end. it didn't take long to see it wasn't a good plan.

I never thought much of my failure at selling that marijuana. I never really got into anything else for the most part ( smoked Salvia a couple times before there were any laws against it that I was aware of, and took a morphine pill once during that time).

here I am, 26 years old. and feel like that life wasn't even mine. on the rare occasion I talk about it (like right now). i can't believe I actually was that stupid. bottom line though, is it was me. I was that stupid. and you can't run from your past forever.

I wanted to be FHP above all else (though I would be happy to be with most any agency / Department). I spent the last few years trying (and failing) to get in shape to get to the right weight requirement for my height. after seeing my brother in law who was as out of shape and large as I am apply for Polk counties duel enrollment, get in, and get into detention (just waiting to get called to go on the road) I thought it was time to change my course of action. ( he lost a good bit of weight and got into decent shape during the academy) I applied for polk county. every told me not to worry about it. and that short of committing murder or rape I would be eligible. just be honest..

I received my rejection letter today. I called to Inquire and because I sold marijuana at one point. I was automatically DQ'd and that I would never be eligible. I never made it past my initial application.

This was quite disheartening. but she did tell me that not all agencies had that policy and to look around. that every agency was different.

again, I expect to get some pretty stern feedback. after all, Im on a forum filled with Law Enforcement Officers talking about how I smoked and Sold marijuana. to me it was another life time. but to you, your just reading it now. I am hoping that some of you will still be able to give solid advice. and maybe even point me in the direction of some agencies worth applying to. I am currently in Lakeland, and was hoping to stay as close to Hillsborough county as possible. but with this new knowledge, I can't be picky with who I apply for. there may not be anywhere to apply. but I won't give up easily. and must first exhaust all options.

P.s. I do smoke cigars from time to time with my father. any department with a Requirement to be tobacco free for any length of time I would not qualify for.

and please forgive me for any Grammatical errors. I'm not that great with grammar and being upset at the moment leaves me even more apt to make mistakes.