PDA

View Full Version : Poker Run

Unregistered
09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Miami-Dade County Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz was arrested in Key West on Saturday night and charged with drunken driving, accused of riding his motorcycle at more than double the speed limit.

Key West police spokeswoman Alyson Crean said Diaz, 55, was arrested in the 3100 block of South Roosevelt Boulevard after he stopped his Harley-Davidson and it fell because he failed to put the kick stand down just before 8 p.m..

Police say he was traveling 74 mph in a 30 mph zone before he stopped.

Diaz spent the night in Monroe County Jail. He was released at 11:45 a.m. Sunday on $1,000 bond, said Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, which runs the Keys jail system.

In a statement released from his commission office Sunday afternoon, Diaz said: “Under advice of my legal counsel, I cannot discuss details at this time. However, I look forward to resolving this matter. In the meantime, I will continue to serve my community and the residents of District 12 as I have done for the last 24 years and I humbly ask for your patience during this time.”

Diaz, a former mayor of Sweetwater, was first elected to the 13-member County Commission in 2002. Now serving his fourth term, the District 12 commissioner faced token opposition in the 2014 election.

As a commissioner, he has positioned himself as a champion of law enforcement. He’s also known as an avid motorcycle rider, and in February led a 600-bike “Support Our Police” rally at Tropical Park.

“This was a great show of support for the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to protect our community,” Diaz said in a statement his office distributed about the event. “They need to know how much we appreciate them and all they do to keep us safe.”

Sunday marked the last day of the Key West Poker Run, a motorcycle event that draws thousands of bikers.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article35888976.html#storylink=cpy