PDA

View Full Version : First Bid

New To Bid
09-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Someone mentioned to me about shift bid coming up. This is my first bid, anyone can tell me about the sergeants we have? Good things and bad things about them.

Thanx

Unregistered
09-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Someone mentioned to me about shift bid coming up. This is my first bid, anyone can tell me about the sergeants we have? Good things and bad things about them.

Thanx

If you really are with MGPD, don't bring your stuff on here... ask the people you work with NOT in a public forum. You already know the sergeants you have.

Unregistered
09-13-2015, 04:13 AM

Thanx

Chances are that if this is your first bid then you wont have a bid. New rookies get placed where they need/want you. If you do get to bid you will be so far down on the list you wont have many choices so....... Don't sweat it.

Unregistered
09-15-2015, 10:16 PM
How can you hold a 'bid' when the department runs on 12s(I know it's actually 11.5s)? Everyone more-or-less works the same schedule and will somewhat have the same days off. That's one of the intended purpose of having the shift. Only think you will be bidding for is to work days or nights, but all rookies know that they'll be thrown on over ights for awhile. I'm from a neighboring agency that works the usual 5/8, so could someone explain the bid you guys have?

Unregistered
09-16-2015, 11:53 AM
How can you hold a 'bid' when the department runs on 12s(I know it's actually 11.5s)? Everyone more-or-less works the same schedule and will somewhat have the same days off. That's one of the intended purpose of having the shift. Only think you will be bidding for is to work days or nights, but all rookies know that they'll be thrown on over ights for awhile. I'm from a neighboring agency that works the usual 5/8, so could someone explain the bid you guys have?

We essentially bid for Sgt's and times. The Sgt's bid first in order of seniority and then the officers bid. Some senior officers would rather work nights for various reasons and some officers pick to work for a particular Sgt. But, you are correct that we work 11.5 hour shifts; two AM shifts and 2 PM shifts.

Unregistered
09-16-2015, 01:11 PM
We essentially bid for Sgt's and times. The Sgt's bid first in order of seniority and then the officers bid. Some senior officers would rather work nights for various reasons and some officers pick to work for a particular Sgt. But, you are correct that we work 11.5 hour shifts; two AM shifts and 2 PM shifts.

Got it! Makes perfect sense now. We have officers that fight all the time to work night shift just so they don't have to deal with the politics and brass in the AM shift. The rookies end up being thrown on A-shift. Thank you so much for the explanation into your department's bidding process. Stay safe and blessed.

Unregistered
09-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Are you serious coming on to a public forum to ask that question?? Your a ****ing idiot