PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Concerns

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2015, 04:11 PM
I am just wandering what is the realistic chance of a guy in his thirties with a master's degree getting picked up by this agency? The only debt I have is my student loan and my car and house are paid off. I am single with have no kids and have never been married. I recently graduated the academy and applied to 2 agencies and made it far in the process, but in the end they chose other people. I found out, after the fact, that their decisions were based on my level of education and their concern I would leave and go somewhere else. I would appreciate some advice, thanks guys.

Unregistered
04-27-2015, 08:01 PM
I am just wandering what is the realistic chance of a guy in his mid-late thirties who is in very good shape with a master's degree getting picked up by this agency? The only debt I have is my student loan, as I have no credit cards and my car and house are paid off. I am single and have no kids and have never been married. Some of you will likely question why I would apply to TIAPD, but I see it as an opportunity to grow with a changing agency. Since graduating the academy in August, I was turned down, with the "good" rejection letter by 2 smaller agencies. I found out, after the fact, that their decisions were based on my level of education and their concern I would leave and go somewhere else, while some felt my age was an issue. I guess I didn’t expect a guy in good shape, in his thirties with a master’s degree to be having an issue getting hired. I'm just frustrated and would appreciate some advice, thanks guys.

Runs as fast as you from this agency!!! Just like so many others have!!!!

Unregistered
04-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Either you'll be a Sgt/Lt in your first 3 years here or you'll get promoted during the last couple years of your career. This admin doesn't like promoting mid-career officers. We have several people who were promoted within a few years after failing the FTO program at other agencies, so if you could get that under your belt it would increase your chances here.

Also, promotion is the only true way to climb the pay ladder, although our range might look nice the top pay is merely a pipe dream, you'll never get there and they don't want you to. Meanwhile, the chief and D/C will be compensated the equivalent of big city agency head and feign sympathy for line officers while doing the bare minimum.

fedcop64
05-06-2015, 01:39 AM
So would you recommend it as a retirement gig? I still have 4 yrs to go but it comes fast and been looking at agencies