PDA

View Full Version : Court Deputy

09-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I have recently applied to the OCSO as an already certified Court Deputy and just mailed in my credit/background waiver and VSA questionnaire to get the process started.

I am dual-certified (corrections/law enforcement) and the Court Deputy position appealed to me. I was curious if anyone could provide any information about the Court Deputy position. I am aware I must complete the same 20 week FTEP as patrol deputies, however I was curious if Court Deputies got a take-home vehicle once out of the FTEP? If they do not receive take-home vehicles and work off-duty jobs, do they pick up a pool car/MDT or how does that work? Lastly, I'm aware the process takes a while for people wishing to be sponsored but what about applicants that are already certified? Is the Court Deputy process any quicker/slower than a Patrol Deputy position?

Regarding the FTEP, is there 4-6 weeks classroom training/department familiarization or are you immediately sworn in and paired with an FTO and hit the road?

Any information/insight you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

coleo

09-17-2013, 01:19 PM
NO take home car for court deputy unless your a supervisor. I almost never see court deputies working off duty so I couldnt answer that question. And they can fast track some of the FTO process for a person who comes with experience depedning on the person.

09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the information :D .

09-21-2013, 05:39 PM
NO take home car for court deputy unless your a supervisor. I almost never see court deputies working off duty so I couldnt answer that question. And they can fast track some of the FTO process for a person who comes with experience depedning on the person.

Just to piggy back off of the OP, but are your Court DS's able to work off-duty gigs?? EG: Disney etc. Thanks for your help

09-22-2013, 07:01 PM
From what I've been reading (this could be 100% wrong) but since you're a fully certified/sworn LEO, just assigned to the courts, you can work off-duty gigs. My question was concerning what car/mdt you would use for off-duty jobs since you aren't issued one.

09-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Only Corporals and Sergeants in the courthouse receive take home cars. Yes they have pool cars and computers and you may work off duty once you are off FTO. I know they are raising the pay for all deputies, including court deputies. We are hiring like crazy and you should hear something soon. I hope you make it...we need good people.

09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Only Corporals and Sergeants in the courthouse receive take home cars. Yes they have pool cars and computers and you may work off duty once you are off FTO. I know they are raising the pay for all deputies, including court deputies. We are hiring like crazy and you should hear something soon. I hope you make it...we need good people.

Glad to hear you're hiring a lot and hopefully it speeds up the process. I take my CVSA Test and Written Test this Thursday. I do remember reading somewhere while I was looking for information on the department that they're trying to increase base pay for deputies to 40,000 from 38,000.

Thank you for clearing up the information on off-duty jobs!

09-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Actually they want to increase it to 41,000, and you'll start higher with three years of applicable experience. The pros far outweigh the cons....you will love our agency. Lots of opportuniy if you want to take advantage of it. Good luck.

09-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Actually they want to increase it to 41,000, and you'll start higher with three years of applicable experience. The pros far outweigh the cons....you will love our agency. Lots of opportuniy if you want to take advantage of it. Good luck.

Any idea when they want that to go into effect? Say someone gets hired at the current 38,000 now and then they bump the base to 41,000, are the current deputies hired at 38,000 kind of stuck?

As far as the agency, I've honestly read nothing but good so I'm pretty excited. I started my career in Corrections with the state, then went to a smaller PD (200ish sworn) for a little while and am looking forward to getting back with a bigger agency.

09-26-2013, 01:24 AM
October 1st the new pay scale goes into effect so you'll be fine. They are even delaying promotions until October 1st.

11-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Well, passed the pre-screener, written, CVSA, swim test, panel interview, and turned in all my background paperwork last Thursday. My recruiter informed me the background would take 4-6 weeks and then I would be called back in for a video taped interview for the Sheriff to view along with my file. She also informed me they were hurting/anxious for Court Deputies so I don't know if that would speed up the process or not. I'm hoping once you make it this far in the process and your file makes it to the Sheriff it's just a formality and you won't get nixed unless a skeleton falls out of your closet during the background. I hope it moves quickly, I'm anxious to start!

12-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Well, passed the pre-screener, written, CVSA, swim test, panel interview, and turned in all my background paperwork last Thursday. My recruiter informed me the background would take 4-6 weeks and then I would be called back in for a video taped interview for the Sheriff to view along with my file. She also informed me they were hurting/anxious for Court Deputies so I don't know if that would speed up the process or not. I'm hoping once you make it this far in the process and your file makes it to the Sheriff it's just a formality and you won't get nixed unless a skeleton falls out of your closet during the background. I hope it moves quickly, I'm anxious to start!

Have you heard anything back? I'm also in the same stage as you. I turned in my background in the beginning of November and I haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm anxious and ready to hear something back. LOL

12-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Haven't heard anything yet. Did a ride along in sector III a couple weeks ago though & had a blast. Hoping to hear something soon though; was told the next hiring class is in February.

12-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Anybody hear anything yet beyond the background for the next class?

12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
There is a class in ftep now that graduates to the field in January. Next class is feb.28 I think. The new court deputy's don't have to go on the road with an fto, they go to court and basically work with an experienced guy for a few weeks

01-14-2014, 05:01 AM
I recently started the process for court deputy. How are you guys doing so far with the process? Hear anything recently?

01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
what is up with the new changes to the Court Security Deputy Sheriff position?
Shorter Field Training Program

A two year commitment

After completing 2 years of service as a CSD, if the employee decides to pursue a position as a Deputy Sheriff, he/she will be required to apply as a new hire and go through the entire hiring process. The position as a CSD does not guarantee that the request for a career change will be approved.
CSD’s shall not be authorized to work off-duty in a sworn capacity
CSD positions do not offer any promotional opportunities
CSD’s shall not be provided an agency vehicle but will still be required to successfully complete the OCSO’s LEVO program
$35,027/year or $36,088 with 3 or more years experience